OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:46 am
If by some magic I can fit in the thing, it would be fun to cruise around town in with the t-tops off. I'm too old/boring to have a corner carver or anything anymore, so it could be fun in its throwback way.

BTW, 80's got telescoping steering wheels that allegedly help with legroom for tall people. We'll see...
Tilt too? That may be your saving grace. IIRC head room was kind of dece, and your head likely isn't that much higher than mine as I'm all torso/short legs.
Yep, tilt/telescoping wheel, std on all Vettes 80-82. Was apparently an option from mid70's-80.

From what I've read on Vetteforum, that change is huge for tall people. We'll see...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:51 am “House has good bones though” just means there’s a higher likelihood of knob and tube, horse hair plaster walls, asbestos, termite damage, and a broken cast iron sewer pipe under your foundation.
What does “knob and tube” mean ?
Old style wiring system from when houses first started to get electricity. The wire was hung on ceramic knobs and through joists inside ceramic tubes. Horribly unsafe these days but state of the art early in the 20th century.
Looked like this:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

wap wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:28 pm

Old style wiring system from when houses first started to get electricity. The wire was hung on ceramic knobs and through joists inside ceramic tubes. Horribly unsafe these days but state of the art early in the 20th century.
Looked like this:
Our old house still had knob and tube in some spots. We had more than one electrician tell us that as long as the sheathing around the wires was still in good shape, that it's totally okay to leave it TF alone. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:51 am “House has good bones though” just means there’s a higher likelihood of knob and tube, horse hair plaster walls, asbestos, termite damage, and a broken cast iron sewer pipe under your foundation.
Knob and tube is the original way electricity was managed in houses...like 100+ years ago. Wires coated in oil-soaked fabric (before plastic existed) were run through porcelain "tubes" through studs and junctions were made by tying bare wires to others that look like "knobs". There were no grounds or neutral wires, so a bit sketchy BUT if the coating on the wires is in good condition, it's still mostly safe.

But wires are run though walls, so you have no idea the condition of wires. Our last house was built in 1910 and was all knob and tube except for the kitchen that was updated. The knob and tube was visible in the basement, and we had an electrician look at it and deem it safe because the coating was fine and high demand appliances weren't plugged into them because the kitchen was all updated.

In theory knob and tube is more robust than romex because the wires in many cases were thicker gauge, and being separated from other wires made heat dissipation more efficient. But over time, that's' not necessarily true.

If you get a house that's still knob and tube and the wires are in bad shape, it's going to be major :waxer: to replace it all (which you need to do for safety). Tearing into walls/ceilings/floors, replacing wires, repairing walls/ceilings/floors, etc. :disgust:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:30 pm
Looked like this:
Our old house still had knob and tube in some spots. We had more than one electrician tell us that as long as the sheathing around the wires was still in good shape, that it's totally okay to leave it TF alone. :iono:
I suppose if it's in a location that is totally out of the way and likely never to be disturbed by anything, but man, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that wiring in an old, wood frame :haus:
I'm sure my house had it when it was first built in 1906. Hell, it didn't even get indoor plumbing until the 1920's, :lol: , but we're all conduit, bx and greenfield now. Can't even use flexible romex wiring like this as it's illegal in Illinois.
Last edited by wap on Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

Looked like this:
:dat:

The general rule is to assume it's unsafe, because it certainly can be. But have it inspected, and it could be fine. Depends on the house.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Looked like this:
Oooo right. I never knew the term for it. One of my friends houses in sf was like this. I was legit :mindblown:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:43 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:12 am

Ok, the barn find part is interesting. Didn't your old man dislike your C5? This is a C3 from the worst era. Explain.
I mentioned this here somewhere, must not have been in this thread.

My old man has a life-long friend that's a car hoarder. He recently fell on hard times financially, and my old man wanted to help. The guy is too proud to just take money, so he offered my dad one of his cars that's closest to running to flip.

That happens to be a 1980 Corvette that the guy special ordered in 1980 after his 1970 Corvette burned up (he still has the carcass). It's a 4-speed manual car, the guy claims it's an L82 (which would make it obscenely rare, so we'll see if that's true), burgundy on red interior, and it currently has 8k miles on it. He drove it for a few years, parked it for other things (crotchfruit, etc), and it's been sitting ever since in his barn under a cover for ~35 years 100% factory original down to the tires. The entire car is apparently pristine (we'll see), but obviously it's going to need some major work to get running again after sitting for so long.

Should look something like:

Old man is going to get it running and sell it. He hates Corvettes, so this is just a tinker project to help out a friend. I'm curious to see if I can actually drive it (probably too small for my linebacker build), but if I can, I may take it as my own tinker project for a while. I actually think the 80-82 C3 is the best looking of the rubber bumper cars, but it'll be slow and shitty so :iono:
Ok I'm going to give this a pass because of color, manual and L-82. 230 hp w/manual vs. 190 hp with 3 speed auto...........pretty major.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:37 pm

Knob and tube is the original way electricity was managed in houses...like 100+ years ago. Wires coated in oil-soaked fabric (before plastic existed) were run through porcelain "tubes" through studs and junctions were made by tying bare wires to others that look like "knobs". There were no grounds or neutral wires, so a bit sketchy BUT if the coating on the wires is in good condition, it's still mostly safe.

But wires are run though walls, so you have no idea the condition of wires. Our last house was built in 1910 and was all knob and tube except for the kitchen that was updated. The knob and tube was visible in the basement, and we had an electrician look at it and deem it safe because the coating was fine and high demand appliances weren't plugged into them because the kitchen was all updated.

In theory knob and tube is more robust than romex because the wires in many cases were thicker gauge, and being separated from other wires made heat dissipation more efficient. But over time, that's' not necessarily true.

If you get a house that's still knob and tube and the wires are in bad shape, it's going to be major :waxer: to replace it all (which you need to do for safety). Tearing into walls/ceilings/floors, replacing wires, repairing walls/ceilings/floors, etc. :disgust:
Forum delivers today :wub:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:38 pm

I suppose if it's in a location that is totally out of the way and likely never to be disturbed by anything, but man, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that wiring in an old, wood frame :haus:
I'm sure my house had it when it was first built in 1906. Hell, it didn't even get indoor plumbing until the 1920's, :lol: , but we're all conduit, bx and greenfield now. Can't even use flexible romex wiring like this as it's illegal in Illinois.
Depends.

Most of what you're plugging in these days draws very little current. LED light bulbs draw WAY less than 100 year old filament bulbs, so the wiring is honestly a bit overkill for today's need in many cases. TVs and computers and whatnot do draw current, so you have to be mindful of how many of those you're plugging into the same circuit, but it's still not the end of the world if the wiring is fine.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Guys, why don't we start a new OT 21 Thread... Usually when these things start getting too large they get shut down. Also, it's probably okay by most for us to start clearing space by deleting old/unwanted threads to keep the server more on the empty side. Anyone wanna give it a whirl?
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:43 am
I mentioned this here somewhere, must not have been in this thread.

My old man has a life-long friend that's a car hoarder. He recently fell on hard times financially, and my old man wanted to help. The guy is too proud to just take money, so he offered my dad one of his cars that's closest to running to flip.

That happens to be a 1980 Corvette that the guy special ordered in 1980 after his 1970 Corvette burned up (he still has the carcass). It's a 4-speed manual car, the guy claims it's an L82 (which would make it obscenely rare, so we'll see if that's true), burgundy on red interior, and it currently has 8k miles on it. He drove it for a few years, parked it for other things (crotchfruit, etc), and it's been sitting ever since in his barn under a cover for ~35 years 100% factory original down to the tires. The entire car is apparently pristine (we'll see), but obviously it's going to need some major work to get running again after sitting for so long.

Should look something like:

Old man is going to get it running and sell it. He hates Corvettes, so this is just a tinker project to help out a friend. I'm curious to see if I can actually drive it (probably too small for my linebacker build), but if I can, I may take it as my own tinker project for a while. I actually think the 80-82 C3 is the best looking of the rubber bumper cars, but it'll be slow and shitty so :iono:
Ok I'm going to give this a pass because of color, manual and L-82. 230 hp w/manual vs. 190 hp with 3 speed auto...........pretty major.
Well, they only built ~500 L82 manual cars. The option was turned off early in the model year, so most manuals are the poverty 190hp :flaccid: engine. Dude claims it's an L82, my old man claims it's not for reasons, so we'll just have to see the truth on Sunday. I bet it's not.

If it's indeed a manual L82, it's probably the rarest late C3, and possibly semi-desirable. Probably doesn't matter, the difference between 230hp and 190 will be barely perceivable when the rest of the thing is so shitty.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:54 pm

Depends.

Most of what you're plugging in these days draws very little current. LED light bulbs draw WAY less than 100 year old filament bulbs, so the wiring is honestly a bit overkill for today's need in many cases. TVs and computers and whatnot do draw current, so you have to be mindful of how many of those you're plugging into the same circuit, but it's still not the end of the world if the wiring is fine.
My house has every type of wire in it. It’s like some horror show history museum.

Yeah K&T is probably alright but as homes are worked on or upgraded or whatever the wiring gets funky. Circuits cross and connections are sketch because homeowners do it themselves and have no clue what they’re doing. Etc.

When our kitchen was redone we found old K&T tied into new wiring with just fucking electrical tape. Underneath the bath tub no less. That’s the kind of shit that burns your house down.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:01 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:48 pm

Well, they only built ~500 L82 manual cars. The option was turned off early in the model year, so most manuals are the poverty 190hp :flaccid: engine. Dude claims it's an L82, my old man claims it's not for reasons, so we'll just have to see the truth on Sunday. I bet it's not.

If it's indeed a manual L82, it's probably the rarest late C3, and possibly semi-desirable. Probably doesn't matter, the difference between 230hp and 190 will be barely perceivable when the rest of the thing is so shitty.
No possibly about it. Hot car in 1980.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:28 pm
Depends.

My house has every type of wire in it. It’s like some horror show history museum.

Yeah K&T is probably alright but as homes are worked on or upgraded or whatever the wiring gets funky. Circuits cross and connections are sketch because homeowners do it themselves and have no clue what they’re doing. Etc.

When our kitchen was redone we found old K&T tied into new wiring with just fucking electrical tape. Underneath the bath tub no less. That’s the kind of shit that burns your house down.
It is.
wap

Depends.

That's fine if you know which outlets share a circuit, and I can all but guarantee you that in and old house you can't. We've got random outlets in our dining room, upstairs hallway light, and outlets in our guest bedroom all on the same circuit, and who knows what else is on it. I can easily see a scenario where you've got a window AC going upstairs and someone plugs in a vacuum cleaner downstairs, all while music is playing through a stereo receiver, etc. I personally would not want to live in an old, wood house with knob and tube. I'd spend the :waxer: to replace it. Hell, I had the ancient, 2 wire bx in the second floor and attic replaced with new, 3 wire bx several years ago. There was a giant ball of ancient bx they collected, like around 3ft diameter, :lol: Cost under $4k, iirc. Money well spent, IMO.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

And like. I had to turn off 3 circuits to finally kill the power to the ceiling fan in the one bedroom. Turn any one back on and it would register hot again.

Dem bones tho 🥰
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tar wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:55 pm Guys, why don't we start a new OT 21 Thread... Usually when these things start getting too large they get shut down. Also, it's probably okay by most for us to start clearing space by deleting old/unwanted threads to keep the server more on the empty side. Anyone wanna give it a whirl?
viewtopic.php?t=1812

Ask and you shall receive.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:55 pm Guys, why don't we start a new OT 21 Thread... Usually when these things start getting too large they get shut down. Also, it's probably okay by most for us to start clearing space by deleting old/unwanted threads to keep the server more on the empty side. Anyone wanna give it a whirl?
viewtopic.php?t=1812

Ask and you shall receive.
wap

Depends.

:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:30 am Oh god dammit, :lolol:
Wait. You didn't do that on purpose for :trollface: ??
No, it was just amazing serendipity.
ChrisoftheNorth

Depends.

Exactly why having it inspected by an electrician or at minimum someone that knows what they're looking at. This is the biggest hazard of knob and tube...hack jobs.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:40 pm
Depends.

That's fine if you know which outlets share a circuit, and I can all but guarantee you that in and old house you can't. We've got random outlets in our dining room, upstairs hallway light, and outlets in our guest bedroom all on the same circuit, and who knows what else is on it. I can easily see a scenario where you've got a window AC going upstairs and someone plugs in a vacuum cleaner downstairs, all while music is playing through a stereo receiver, etc. I personally would not want to live in an old, wood house with knob and tube. I'd spend the :waxer: to replace it. Hell, I had the ancient, 2 wire bx in the second floor and attic replaced with new, 3 wire bx several years ago. There was a giant ball of ancient bx they collected, like around 3ft diameter, :lol: Cost under $4k, iirc. Money well spent, IMO.
I would never plug anything more than a vacuum into those outlets. An AC Unit? :nope: That's part of why we had mini splits installed.

Our house had an updated panel WITH a connected sub panel and every knob and tube wire coming into the box got its own circuit. Our electrician was :mindblown: by the number of circuits, and did some testing to find that most of the knob and tube outlets had their own circuits. Some outlets were tied into lighting (obviously not great) but we knew which ones they were and limited what we plugged into them. Plus, we had LED bulbs everywhere, which as I mentioned is a drastically reduced draw compared to early incandescent lights.

Point is, knob and tube CAN be fine. Just depends on the condition.
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:48 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:15 pm

Wait. You didn't do that on purpose for :trollface: ??
No, it was just amazing serendipity.
:mindblown:
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:58 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:40 pm

I would never plug anything more than a vacuum into those outlets. An AC Unit? :nope: That's part of why we had mini splits installed.

Our house had an updated panel WITH a connected sub panel and every knob and tube wire coming into the box got its own circuit. Our electrician was :mindblown: by the number of circuits, and did some testing to find that most of the knob and tube outlets had their own circuits. Some outlets were tied into lighting (obviously not great) but we knew which ones they were and limited what we plugged into them. Plus, we had LED bulbs everywhere, which as I mentioned is a drastically reduced draw compared to early incandescent lights.

Point is, knob and tube CAN be fine. Just depends on the condition.
Sure. And my point was that most :derp: s have no clue how their house is wired or how to safely use K&T electrical service.
:impressive: setup on your previous :haus: , too!