Boats and Motorized Floaty Things

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

We are taking a charter boat deep into lake Huron this summer. $500 and the captain and his skipper take us on a $150k boat with fish finder, radar, high end fishing gear, bait, and everything that goes with it short of booze. That's how we boat nowadays, it would probably be different if we had a slip, but it is definitely a hobby for a select market.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tar wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:22 pm We are taking a charter boat deep into lake Huron this summer. $500 and the captain and his skipper take us on a $150k boat with fish finder, radar, high end fishing gear, bait, and everything that goes with it short of booze. That's how we boat nowadays, it would probably be different if we had a slip, but it is definitely a hobby for a select market.
Seems like a :notbad: way to go, this is an all day thing? Kind of a :dill: for five bills if you ask me.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:17 pm
Tar wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:22 pm We are taking a charter boat deep into lake Huron this summer. $500 and the captain and his skipper take us on a $150k boat with fish finder, radar, high end fishing gear, bait, and everything that goes with it short of booze. That's how we boat nowadays, it would probably be different if we had a slip, but it is definitely a hobby for a select market.
Seems like a :notbad: way to go, this is an all day thing? Kind of a :dill: for five bills if you ask me.
Half day thing, 4 hrs probably.

Thing is, it's pretty cheap if you take every boat expense and divide up by the number of times you can get it out on a lake. I'd get five outings if I'm lucky and would pay more than $2500 annually to own one. We either do this or rent jet skis twice a year and it's enough to get it out of our system.

I should look at sports cars the same way, $500 would get me a few laps in some :nice: metal. Hmm...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

If you don't have a dock or slip on the lake, chartering or renting a boat is the way to go 100% There's no way in hell I'd store a boat at my house and launch it every time I wanted to go out. Fuck that noise.

We went out today. Hit 90 degrees here, which is basically hell. Water was 75 degrees, no wind to speak of, 5/7. We went out for a few hours and done. We cruiser by the boat launch and it looked like chaos. Then floated onto our hoist and headed home to smoke salmon. Boating should be relaxing from start to finish.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:40 pm If you don't have a dock or slip on the lake, chartering or renting a boat is the way to go 100% There's no way in hell I'd store a boat at my house and launch it every time I wanted to go out. Fuck that noise.

We went out today. Hit 90 degrees here, which is basically hell. Water was 75 degrees, no wind to speak of, 5/7. We went out for a few hours and done. We cruiser by the boat launch and it looked like chaos. Then floated onto our hoist and headed home to smoke salmon. Boating should be relaxing from start to finish.
I love this vision, you're doing is right as am I. Everything in between is just silly.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:40 pm If you don't have a dock or slip on the lake, chartering or renting a boat is the way to go 100% There's no way in hell I'd store a boat at my house and launch it every time I wanted to go out. Fuck that noise.

:word:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:17 pm

Thing is, it's pretty cheap if you take every boat expense and divide up by the number of times you can get it out on a lake. I'd get five outings if I'm lucky and would pay more than $2500 annually to own one. We either do this or rent jet skis twice a year and it's enough to get it out of our system.

I should look at sports cars the same way, $500 would get me a few laps in some :nice: metal. Hmm...
You should. Bmw event I went to was just about $500 and it was 1/2 a day of trashing every single m car they make with 0 regard for anything. I would in no way shape or form take my personal car to a track.

It just gets trashed. Fuck that
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:29 pm
Tar wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:35 pm

You should. Bmw event I went to was just about $500 and it was 1/2 a day of trashing every single m car they make with 0 regard for anything. I would in no way shape or form take my personal car to a track.

Oh wow, $500 for all the M cars? That’s quite a :dill: , likely cheaper than a track day in a personal car all in.

I should see if the Spartanburg, SC location is similar, I know they have a track there. It’s only 1.5 hours away.

They originally built the Z3 there but now it’s the X5 and maybe other SUVs for the entire world.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:41 pm

Oh wow, $500 for all the M cars? That’s quite a :dill: , likely cheaper than a track day in a personal car all in.

I should see if the Spartanburg, SC location is similar, I know they have a track there. It’s only 1.5 hours away.

They originally built the Z3 there but now it’s the X5 and maybe other SUVs for the entire world.
Yep. All the m cars. It was the best $500 I spent on cars possibly ever. I was really “done” driving after that.

Fun fact I set the auto cross record time for the entire event but because the brakes got hot I was 1/2 a foot outside of the brake box and I got disqualified.

:rage:

Bmw Rented an entire track and let you drag race auto x and actual track… it was pretty great
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:44 pm

Yep. All the m cars. It was the best $500 I spent on cars possibly ever. I was really “done” driving after that.

Fun fact I set the auto cross record time for the entire event but because the brakes got hot I was 1/2 a foot outside of the brake box and I got disqualified.

Bmw Rented an entire track and let you drag race auto x and actual track… it was pretty great
That is pretty epic, It looks like they have several options at the SC facility. It would be :neat: to do some driving, check out their museum, and spend a night in Greenville or something, maybe I'll :doit: this fall. The one day school is $1K :doe: , not sure if that would be worth it given I have quite a bit of track experience, but they have other options in the $300-500 range.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:48 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:44 pm

That is pretty epic, It looks like they have several options at the SC facility. It would be :neat: to do some driving, check out their museum, and spend a night in Greenville or something, maybe I'll :doit: this fall. The one day school is $1K :doe: , not sure if that would be worth it given I have quite a bit of track experience, but they have other options in the $300-500 range.
In4Review

My wife's aunt and uncle live in Greenville. Whenever the next time we go down there to see them I was planning on doing something at the M performance center.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:48 pm

In4Review

My wife's aunt and uncle live in Greenville. Whenever the next time we go down there to see them I was planning on doing something at the M performance center.
:nice: Have you ever been? Downtown Greenville is a great place to hang out for a day or two, there's a nice waterfall park, some great dining/nightlife, it's also close to the mountains, pretty nice hikes and back roads not far from there.

Let me know if you end up :doit: , I would be down to :meat: there!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:08 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:59 pm

In4Review

:nice: Have you ever been? Downtown Greenville is a great place to hang out for a day or two, there's a nice waterfall park, some great dining/nightlife, it's also close to the mountains, pretty nice hikes and back roads not far from there.

Let me know if you end up :doit: , I would be down to :meat: there!
I haven't been yet but she says it's real nice there. :meat: is definitely possible.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

:meat: incoming
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:29 pm :meat: incoming
Three is a party. We can take my BMW to BMW if I still have a BMW.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Yea, all SUVs for the world come from Spartanburg. IIRC, it's BMW's biggest volume export plant.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.