Presidential Debates

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Last edited by Huckleberry on Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

Some deep thoughts from this morning while pooping.
Trump looks like an asshole downplaying Corona and saying the pandemic is almost over then getting it right.... so what if he determines the Democrats planted the virus trying to taking him out before the election and he becomes a COVID martyr for the Proud Boys he told to stand by to take action. Civil unrest happens, he declares martial law, the election doesn't happen, he stays in power. The transition from Penis Potato (dick-tater) to Dictator is complete.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Huckleberry

Dbest wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:48 am Some deep thoughts from this morning while pooping.
Trump looks like an asshole downplaying Corona and saying the pandemic is almost over then getting it right.... so what if he determines the Democrats planted the virus trying to taking him out before the election and he becomes a COVID martyr for the Proud Boys he told to stand by to take action. Civil unrest happens, he declares martial law, the election doesn't happen, he stays in power. The transition from Penis Potato (dick-tater) to Dictator is complete.
I'm sure he's already working up a reason to blame "teh radical left" for his contraction. Like Hillary had Bill seduce Hope Hicks and brought her back to the house where Hillary was wearing a Scarecrow mask and shot Hope in the face with a concentrated dose of weaponized COVID that infected her and erased her memory. Then they gave her a watch and waited for her to get to the White House, upon which Hillary pressed a button that made the watch a mind control device that left Hope walking like a robot saying, "I must infect the President."
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:16 pm
Dbest wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:48 am Some deep thoughts from this morning while pooping.
I'm sure he's already working up a reason to blame "teh radical left" for his contraction. Like Hillary had Bill seduce Hope Hicks and brought her back to the house where Hillary was wearing a Scarecrow mask and shot Hope in the face with a concentrated dose of weaponized COVID that infected her and erased her memory. Then they gave her a watch and waited for her to get to the White House, upon which Hillary pressed a button that made the watch a mind control device that left Hope walking like a robot saying, "I must infect the President."
Sounds plausible. :notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

Dbest wrote:At least there was a clear winner... Jorgensen
Lol liked

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Pence Harris debate, and....GO!

For one, it went much smoother then the Biden Trump gong show. I also think that the portion I caught on the radio today before exiting the signal range was a Pence dominated affair, meaning that he handled the questions better then Harris did IMO.

This all through the lense of an average working class dork living in a different country. Curious to hear what you guys think about it.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

It was a draw IMO.

Harris is a poor debater and speaker in general, which is why she got crushed in the primary. The Dems need better quick answers on the tax plans and everything else - the long answers are on their website but both her and Biden don't seem familiar enough with them to give quick summaries. It should be easy to say what you want to do, how, and why. Especially when you are the only side who even has a platform or any respect for the process and the offices.

Pence was an ass with no respect for the moderator or the debate itself. Completely ignoring not only the questions but the subjects in general, instead repeating the same unrelated things multiple times... and talking over the woman for a ridiculous amount of time. If he would shut up and move on then he would have been a clear winner though...

The bar for the Rs is unfortunately so much lower than the Ds that there's almost no way to beat the Trump team. They have no platform, respect nothing and no one, yet somehow have the unwavering trust of half the country.
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote:Pence Harris debate, and....GO!

For one, it went much smoother then the Biden Trump gong show. I also think that the portion I caught on the radio today before exiting the signal range was a Pence dominated affair, meaning that he handled the questions better then Harris did IMO.

This all through the lense of an average working class dork living in a different country. Curious to hear what you guys think about it.
I forgot to mention... You're a straight white millionaire. Even in looneys that puts you so far away from "average" that I'm :notsure: how you can even call yourself that. No one on this forum is average. We're all winners, not suckers and losers.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:34 pm
Tarspin wrote:Pence Harris debate, and....GO!

I forgot to mention... You're a straight white millionaire. Even in looneys that puts you so far away from "average" that I'm :notsure: how you can even call yourself that. No one on this forum is average.
:word: on the finance piece, and consider myself above average in that sense, but it is just one element of my life and a byproduct of my desire to be good at things that pay well. Still average in other respects have 2.3 kids, a dog, marital issues like many, grew up in a poor immigrant household as a newcomer to the country, am six months out from having to liquidate assets to stay afloat if anything drastic changes.

I think you're right about the need for better quick answers on the tax plans. Nobody in their right mind wants to vote for more taxes right now. Tooting the Paris Accord/Green Plan aspirations are a vote killer IMO. To me that is the Dems toughest sell. People don't want to be forced into electric pods and wind turbines that skyrocket electricity bills.
troyguitar

I think that most people support higher taxes on millionaires, especially if it's to support programs like free public healthcare and university options instead of spreading "democracy" on brown people. Those people are all concentrated in a few voting districts though so they don't count as much as hillbillies. :math:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:36 am I think that most people support higher taxes on millionaires, especially if it's to support programs like free public healthcare and university options instead of spreading "democracy" on brown people. Those people are all concentrated in a few voting districts though so they don't count as much as hillbillies. :math:
I don't get it completely, are one of the parties wanting to tax high income earners more to fund healthcare + university education sans hand outs to minorities? What is the definition of high income, over 100k? Over 400k? If they raise tax on the 100k+ crowd they are going to be losing a lot of voters and if they hit up the 400k+ crowd they won't have enough revenue to fund all those services.... I don't get the :math: , really wish politicians were forced to outline these things clearly and then be mandated to stick with the plan. It always ends up being a shitshow post election.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:12 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:36 am I think that most people support higher taxes on millionaires, especially if it's to support programs like free public healthcare and university options instead of spreading "democracy" on brown people. Those people are all concentrated in a few voting districts though so they don't count as much as hillbillies. :math:
I don't get it completely, are one of the parties wanting to tax high income earners more to fund healthcare + university education sans hand outs to minorities? What is the definition of high income, over 100k? Over 400k? If they raise tax on the 100k+ crowd they are going to be losing a lot of voters and if they hit up the 400k+ crowd they won't have enough revenue to fund all those services.... I don't get the :math: , really wish politicians were forced to outline these things clearly and then be mandated to stick with the plan. It always ends up being a shitshow post election.
Biden's plan is to tax people making over $400K (US) a bit more. The reasoning is that most of the people in this tax bracket move money around and creatively avoid paying taxes. Trump's given the wealthiest people tax breaks that have made them richer, and left the rest of us normal people to front the bill. Trickle down economics don't really work like people want it to. The rich end up holding on to more of that money and it doesn't trickle into the economy

"A 2012 study by the Tax Justice Network indicates that wealth of the super-rich does not trickle down to improve the economy, but it instead tends to be amassed and sheltered in tax havens with a negative effect on the tax bases of the home economy."

All the majority of Americans just want people to pay their fair share of taxes. With the last bit of news coming out that Trump paid $750 one year in taxes a couple of years ago, is total BS. He can complain that he's paid tons in other taxes, but it still shows that he paid virtually zero in federal income tax. Something that eats up 20-35% of our income. Andrew Yang made a great point when questioned where his Universal Basic Income money would come from by pointing out that if huge companies like Amazon would pay a proper tax and not creatively avoid it, we'd make enough most of that money to cover it.
Huckleberry

I don't know why Harris decided to talk about Lincoln foregoing a justice nomination instead of concentrating on the egregious flip-flop of the Republican party with Merrick Garland. He was nominated at the beginning of 2016 and Republicunts refused to hold a hearing "becuz elecshun yeer," and now that a seat has opened up a month before the election, they're trying to fly that nomination by Congress faster than shit through a goose.

Also, can we get a moderator with enough of a spine to rebuke candidates for going over their time limits and blatantly disregarding the rules? Penalties should occur. I'd say to have time removed from the next question, but that is obviously inconsequential. I'd say the moderator should give the other candidate an additional 30-60 seconds to speak on the topic and the offender has no allowance for a rebuttal.
wap

Agree with :dat:
I thought Pence did ok. He was his typical smooth serious self. He did a good job wrapping the shit sandwich that is his administration in as nice a :fakenews: wrapping as possible. He is one of the smoothest lairs out there, even compared to other polititcians.

I also thought Harris did a decent job. She came across as enthusiastic, confident, and no hint of the :bs: "angry Black woman" that the right likes to label her with. She did miss a couple of easy layup opportunities, :doe: . When talking about :thankstrump: s taxes Pence said he paid millions of taxes, payroll taxes and real estate taxes. She missed the opportunity to mention that they were talking about INCOME taxes. Pence then said that :thankstrump: has released reams of financial documents but Harris didn't mention that he has still not released his tax returns. I'm sure there were other examples.

All in all, I don't really think the debate convinced many undecided voters, or changed many minds, but they also didn't really hurt their own side either. Maybe some people who are scared of Black women were reassured a bit, by Harris's performance, but :iono:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:10 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:12 am

Biden's plan is to tax people making over $400K (US) a bit more. The reasoning is that most of the people in this tax bracket move money around and creatively avoid paying taxes. Trump's given the wealthiest people tax breaks that have made them richer, and left the rest of us normal people to front the bill. Trickle down economics don't really work like people want it to. The rich end up holding on to more of that money and it doesn't trickle into the economy

"A 2012 study by the Tax Justice Network indicates that wealth of the super-rich does not trickle down to improve the economy, but it instead tends to be amassed and sheltered in tax havens with a negative effect on the tax bases of the home economy."

All the majority of Americans just want people to pay their fair share of taxes. With the last bit of news coming out that Trump paid $750 one year in taxes a couple of years ago, is total BS. He can complain that he's paid tons in other taxes, but it still shows that he paid virtually zero in federal income tax. Something that eats up 20-35% of our income. Andrew Yang made a great point when questioned where his Universal Basic Income money would come from by pointing out that if huge companies like Amazon would pay a proper tax and not creatively avoid it, we'd make enough most of that money to cover it.
Great info, thanks for the breakdown broseph! 20-35% of our income seems rather fair and pretty typical, there's no reason why the above 400k crowd needs programs to limit taxes to that amount. Shit, Canucks earning that much at a job need to pay almost 50% tax on anything over 100k by default. Here people are legit trying to scrape at any programs that let you keep a bigger chunk.

The ripple effect is that less people stay in Canada to do high paying jobs, brain drain which is bad for innovation. We probably have a deeper tax base government side, and when they aren't wasting it on pet projects we do seem to have a better lifestyle (roads being an obvious measurable). So I'm not against the Biden's methodology, it will keep things rolling along smoothly. Both parties should spend money on infrastructure in 2021, it is a golden opportunity to spend money and actually get it back while boosting other markets through labor gains and even the +400k crowd starts churning extra dollhairs.
Huckleberry

I felt that Pence had no respect for Harris or the moderator. He frequently interrupted Harris, which one would think he would have made a note not to do considering the notoriety of the last debate, and he really went out of his way to ignore the moderator when told his time was up. Harris started running over time, as well, but it seemed like she started doing it after Pence set the precedent that he doesn't give a fuck about time constraints.

I'm also surprised Harris didn't come back at Pence when he was trying to say that a repeal of the Trump tax bill would automatically equal a raise in taxes on all Americans. She should have pointed out that Trump and Pence are going to raise taxes on all Americans when those "cuts" go away in 2025. The only permanent cuts are the ones they handed out to corporations.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:59 pm I felt that Pence had no respect for Harris or the moderator. He frequently interrupted Harris, which one would think he would have made a note not to do considering the notoriety of the last debate, and he really went out of his way to ignore the moderator when told his time was up. Harris started running over time, as well, but it seemed like she started doing it after Pence set the precedent that he doesn't give a fuck about time constraints.

I'm also surprised Harris didn't come back at Pence when he was trying to say that a repeal of the Trump tax bill would automatically equal a raise in taxes on all Americans. She should have pointed out that Trump and Pence are going to raise taxes on all Americans when those "cuts" go away in 2025. The only permanent cuts are the ones they handed out to corporations.
Y'all should get this guy moderating the next one.

razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I think Harris fucked up multiple times in avoiding the packing the court question. It was a gotcha strategy from Pence for sure, but it doesn’t look good in the long run.

Pence is so calm and smooth it’s scary. Both went over their time, but I also felt the moderator interrupted Pence more when he went over time than Harris, and the stats show they had pretty even speaking time.

I don’t dislike Harris, but I have a hard time finding her as genuine. I don’t know if it’s her tone or cadence but she comes off as speaking in “upspeak” and instead of focusing on what she says I sometimes focus on how annoying she sounds when she speaks. I think she does that to speak to the younger crowd or something but it comes off as fake.

I think Pence had more pressure to behave civilly because everyone was done with Trump’s childlike behavior in the first presidential debate, and Pence stepped up.

Much of a liar as he is I think GOP/Republicunts will groom him for a 2024 presidential run
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:59 pm I felt that Pence had no respect for Harris or the moderator. He frequently interrupted Harris, which one would think he would have made a note not to do considering the notoriety of the last debate, and he really went out of his way to ignore the moderator when told his time was up. Harris started running over time, as well, but it seemed like she started doing it after Pence set the precedent that he doesn't give a fuck about time constraints.

Another great point/missed opportunity.
Huckleberry

What's the probability that Trump simply starts shouting over Biden when his mic is cut?
troyguitar

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm What's the probability that Trump simply starts shouting over Biden when his mic is cut?

Here's me during the debates:

Huckleberry

I figure we have a few possibilities:

1. He starts shouting over Biden.
2. He steals Biden's mic.
3. He pulls another mic out of his pocket and starts using that.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

i just came and i'm gonna lose a good night sleep for it, now that im in my shithole kuntry.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm What's the probability that Trump simply starts shouting over Biden when his mic is cut?
Yea I thought the same thing. He can still shout with his mic cut and Biden will still hear him. And most likely his shouting will be picked up by Biden's mic anyway.