OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

razr390 wrote:I have a co-worker who is a pure genius and has read up on crypto for years now. He put me onto an alt coin called Chainlink. It basically serves as smart contract fulfillment by “linking” the reliability and accuracy of blockchain tech with the real world. He got in at $0.15/per and has about 170,000 of them. They are now close to $50/per. I got in at $1.99 so I am doing alright too.
Why is he still working?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:20 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:04 pm

Block chains are public so you know when coins are mined and enter the supply. There’s also a finite number of coins available/possible to be mined.
Do you know if block chains are reliable? I'm reading up on scams, and there are some shady large scale events taking place now and then. Again, I don't know my head from my ass when it comes to the inner workings of crypto offerings on the market, but if shit hit the fan do you not think there could be a bunch of crashing servers and stolen money? I guess the same could be said about stocks, but at least those lofty valuations have some connection to a functioning business.

https://blockchainmagazine.net/top-5-bl ... -aware-of/

Sorry man, I'm in a dark place today. Just sharing some of my many disgruntlements :lolol:
10 years ago I was in grad school, and a classmate was telling me about this new currency that's going to take over the world called Bitcoin. He bought $10k worth, which at the time a bitcoin was like $.10 or something, so he got A LOT. He said he was starting to look into getting into mining and swore he was going to be rich.

I didn't have much cash at the time, but was debating some small investment.

The next week I saw him in class and he was all :| I asked him what's up and he said his Bitcoin wallet was hacked and he lost everything. No hope of getting it back, just gone. He was still up on the concept, but claimed it would take years before it was secure enough for him to invest in again. I got in the car after class listening to NPR and it was apparently a widespread attack that wiped out a ton of people. That did it for me, I wrote it off since.

It's more secure now, basically like a bank account EXCEPT it's not insured unlike most bank accounts. Lose money in the bank and it's the bank's fault, you're not screwed. Lose your crypto and AFAIK, it's gone.

Still, if I had thrown what little free cash I had at the time when BTC was $.10 and I managed to not lose it, I'd be sitting pretty right now. Oh well.
Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Thu May 06, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:57 pm
razr390 wrote:I have a co-worker who is a pure genius and has read up on crypto for years now. He put me onto an alt coin called Chainlink. It basically serves as smart contract fulfillment by “linking” the reliability and accuracy of blockchain tech with the real world. He got in at $0.15/per and has about 170,000 of them. They are now close to $50/per. I got in at $1.99 so I am doing alright too.
Why is he still working?
Because it's worthless until you sell. And it's still going up! Why sell if it's going up!?!?

This is gambling, pure and simple.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:57 pm
Why is he still working?
Because he continues to research and invest. His actual assets are in a hardware wallet underground in some depository in Nebraska.

For him it’s not about the $. It’s about the new wave of tech and how he can continue to learn and benefit from it.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Tomorrow is 5/7. :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:03 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:57 pm Why is he still working?
Because it's worthless until you sell. And it's still going up! Why sell if it's going up!?!?

He already has enough cash on hand to basically pay for his rent/living if any last minute emergency would happen and he’d need it. The rest he just stakes on more and more gains.

The crazy part is that he is really down to earth. Drives a v6 new charger that he bought in cash because his best to shit Hyundai Tiburon broke on the Highway.

He got the dodge dealership to buy his tiburon for $2k trade in and he specifically told them it was literally abandoned on the shoulder of the highway 5 mins down the road
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:03 pm

He already has enough cash on hand to basically pay for his rent/living if any last minute emergency would happen and he’d need it. The rest he just stakes on more and more gains.

The crazy part is that he is really down to earth. Drives a v6 new charger that he bought in cash because his best to shit Hyundai Tiburon broke on the Highway.

He got the dodge dealership to buy his tiburon for $2k trade in and he specifically told them it was literally abandoned on the shoulder of the highway 5 mins down the road
:impressive: negotiation.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:57 pm Why is he still working?
Because he continues to research and invest. His actual assets are in a hardware wallet underground in some depository in Nebraska.

For him it’s not about the $. It’s about the new wave of tech and how he can continue to learn and benefit from it.
Seems easier to do that without a day job. 8 million dollars would be enough for me to quit everything and move to Marseille tomorrow.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:11 pm
razr390 wrote:

Seems easier to do that without a day job. 8 million dollars would be enough for me to quit everything and move to Marseille tomorrow.
He simply doesn’t care. And in a way I am starting to understand why these careless, but not sloppy, people end up becoming billionaires or whatever because they aren’t afraid to risk it.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:11 pm
razr390 wrote:

I'd quit my job if I had anything in the 7 figure range. Probably not quit working entirely (depends what the 7 figure starts with), but that would be enough for me to figure things out for a while.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:13 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:11 pm Seems easier to do that without a day job. 8 million dollars would be enough for me to quit everything and move to Marseille tomorrow.
He simply doesn’t care. And in a way I am starting to understand why these careless, but not sloppy, people end up becoming billionaires or whatever because they aren’t afraid to risk it.
Just as easy to end up penniless with that mentality. Big risk=big reward/big failure
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

razr390 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:05 pm Tomorrow is 5/7. :fuckyeah:
:fuckyeah:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:18 pm

Just as easy to end up penniless with that mentality. Big risk=big reward/big failure
They’re not nearly as risk adverse as those here.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:05 pm Tomorrow is 5/7. :fuckyeah:
:iswydt:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390

Yep. He doesn’t care. He has his break in case of emergency cash. Everything else is to the moon
razr390

If I had 7 figures I’d still like to work. Whether that’s becoming a consultant to businesses on my own time/schedule or owning a small business/non-profit.

I’d also get a GT3/RS and drive across the country
Apex

razr390 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:30 pm If I had 7 figures I’d still like to work. Whether that’s becoming a consultant to businesses on my own time/schedule or owning a small business/non-profit.

If it’s orange you’ll be the second person I know to do that. :lol:
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:If I had 7 figures I’d still like to work. Whether that’s becoming a consultant to businesses on my own time/schedule or owning a small business/non-profit.

I mean I'd "work" but not on anything that makes a profit and not for anyone else. I'd buy a small music performance venue and hire people I liked to play there, all while operating at a loss intentionally so the artists can get paid without charging ridiculous prices to guests.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:24 pm
:dat: :hai:

I'm putting money in stocks that never change price and pay solid dividends. Treating them like savings accounts until things settle down. Probably never will and I'll miss out on being a billionaire. But I also won't go broke.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:38 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:24 pm

I'm putting money in stocks that never change price and pay solid dividends. Treating them like savings accounts until things settle down. Probably never will and I'll miss out on being a billionaire. But I also won't go broke.
I've been investing in the company stocks. 12% annual dividend payments, paid out quarterly, and the stock goes up about 5% annually. It's a solid investment.

Plus if I get shit canned, they have to pay.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar

Actually now that I think about it, I might need 8 figures to execute that plan in a good way without running out of money in my lifetime.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:37 pm
razr390 wrote:If I had 7 figures I’d still like to work. Whether that’s becoming a consultant to businesses on my own time/schedule or owning a small business/non-profit.

I mean I'd "work" but not on anything that makes a profit and not for anyone else. I'd buy a small music performance venue and hire people I liked to play there, all while operating at a loss intentionally so the artists can get paid without charging ridiculous prices to guests.
:amazing: :dat:

I'd do something similar. If I was rich enough to accept a loss, that would be awesome. But even enough money to do something like that and break even would be outstanding.

Even just a small business of some sort would be awesome. There's a local bread bakery that's for sale right now for $1M. Bakes the best bread in town IMO. Has existing contracts with the local Costco, Meijer, and other grocery stores to supply bread. Also includes a building in a hot area of TC with 2 apartments rented with long term lease agreements and a roof top that could serve as a cafe and first floor bakery and retail space. The business has gobs of potential, and is already turn-key profitable. Just don't fuck up what works and improve on some other areas (they could expand their cafe offering because the location gets a lot of foot traffic) but alas I don't have $1M, so :ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:38 pm

I've been investing in the company stocks. 12% annual dividend payments, paid out quarterly, and the stock goes up about 5% annually. It's a solid investment.

Plus if I get shit canned, they have to pay.
That's a really excellent investment IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:43 pm Actually now that I think about it, I might need 8 figures to execute that plan in a good way without running out of money in my lifetime.
Depends on your intended scale, but probably 8 figures if you're going to lose money on a big venue. I feel like break-even would be an attainable target :doe: and if you did something on the smaller side (like an old theater in a downtown type thing), 7 figures might cut it.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:43 pm Actually now that I think about it, I might need 8 figures to execute that plan in a good way without running out of money in my lifetime.
Depends on your intended scale, but probably 8 figures if you're going to lose money on a big venue. I feel like break-even would be an attainable target :doe: and if you did something on the smaller side (like an old theater in a downtown type thing), 7 figures might cut it.
I'm assuming that I'd be buying a home and a small venue, probably a million or more needed for that alone if it's not financed. Then covering our own living expenses on top of hiring at least a few full-time employees because I don't want to micromanage/DIY everything... running costs must be on the order of half a million a year all-in for a small operation?