Detroit Moves to the Woods?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:46 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:23 am The other debate is if we should go full :millennial: and start a youtube channel documenting the move and the rennovation/restoration since we'll be doing majority of the work ourselves...
Why not? It would be interesting. Usually the niche stuff is. Plus, you get views and likes from DFD to help the algorithm
It's equal parts content and personality isn't it? Will need to discuss with the wife.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:12 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:46 am

Why not? It would be interesting. Usually the niche stuff is. Plus, you get views and likes from DFD to help the algorithm
It's equal parts content and personality isn't it? Will need to discuss with the wife.
Sure, interesting content. Maybe your wife could be the extrovert “face” of the vlogs since that sounds like something she would be really good at. You can just film and whatever.

Look at the YouTube channels where off broaders rescue stuck cars and stuff. It’s mostly interesting because it’s a hobby-based content channel rather than “hype” and “relevance”. There will always be people looking for home improvement/cabin in the woods living vicariously through you style content.

Look at online gaming streamers. People will literally watch someone play a video game because they either can’t or aren’t good enough so they get satisfaction by watching someone else do it.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:12 am
Sure, interesting content. Maybe your wife could be the extrovert “face” of the vlogs since that sounds like something she would be really good at. You can just film and whatever.

Look at the YouTube channels where off broaders rescue stuck cars and stuff. It’s mostly interesting because it’s a hobby-based content channel rather than “hype” and “relevance”. There will always be people looking for home improvement/cabin in the woods living vicariously through you style content.

Look at online gaming streamers. People will literally watch someone play a video game because they either can’t or aren’t good enough so they get satisfaction by watching someone else do it.
I will never understand this, and that's a problem if I want to do something like a youtube channel.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:10 pm

I will never understand this, and that's a problem if I want to do something like a youtube channel.
You don’t have to understand it really. Most streamers just stream and eventually build a following. Personality plays a role too.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:19 pm
You don’t have to understand it really. Most streamers just stream and eventually build a following. Personality plays a role too.
You talk and play video games. It really helps if you don’t suck at the game too.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:25 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:19 pm
You talk and play video games. It really helps if you don’t suck at the game too.
I don't understand why anyone would watch that.

BUT, I do watch Matt's Offroad Recovery where all he does is drive around in a homebrew XJ and pull people out of stuck situations in Utah. I'm sure there's plenty of people that don't get that either.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:29 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:25 pm

BUT, I do watch Matt's Offroad Recovery where all he does is drive around in a homebrew XJ and pull people out of stuck situations in Utah. I'm sure there's plenty of people that don't get that either.
Yep. Do it if you want to, I think it would be neat to see.
razr390

I would definitely watch.
Desertbreh

Great Pics. Such content!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:29 pm

I think it would be fun to share, this house is super unique, and I think the before and after transformation would really :mindblown: people.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:24 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:36 pm

I think it would be fun to share, this house is super unique, and I think the before and after transformation would really :mindblown: people.
:dat:
I doubt you’d make a penny off of it, but it would be really cool to watch.
ChrisoftheNorth

Decided to take a work break and drive down to Home Depot to see if they're running deals on Ego Chainsaws. They weren't, but it was a fun excuse to get out.

Here's some of the wine country by the house, this ~5 minutes from the door

Then I hit some traffic. I didn't even know these still existed! Traffic caused by it frequently stopping for kids to take pictures and wave. I don't know how you can get mad at that. Even I was :fuckyeah: when I saw it. Somehow it was going to the same plaza I was, so I followed it for a few miles. The :fuckyeah: from everyone around was :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:24 pm
Oh, I'd be shocked if we made a dime, it would be more for the fun.

Simple videos like...

"Today we're going to clear some trees to improve our view" and set up a camera on a tripod for some timelapse chainsaw action ending with before and after.
Desertbreh

That wienermobile kicks major ass.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Apex wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:25 pm :dat:
Oh, I'd be shocked if we made a dime, it would be more for the fun.

Simple videos like...

"Today we're going to clear some trees to improve our view" and set up a camera on a tripod for some timelapse chainsaw action ending with before and after.
https://youtu.be/A52p9jc-gOo
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Oh, I'd be shocked if we made a dime, it would be more for the fun.

Simple videos like...

https://youtu.be/A52p9jc-gOo
:amazing:

So you'll make the timelapse music then?
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:18 am
Talked to the wife last night while she's down state, we're 99% committed, just a matter of lining up logistics now.

She broke the news to some of our closest friends last night and the wife went full :triggered: :howdareu: YOU'LL REGRET IT THERE'S NOTHING UP THERE ZOMG WINTER :triggered: :pout:

Husband was all :fuckyeah: can't wait to visit!

Most of the people we tell usually respond with "when can we visit?" It's less than 4 hours drive.
Dude, I’ll come camp in your driveway.
Live-in landscaper? :notbad:
Apex

Talked to the wife last night while she's down state, we're 99% committed, just a matter of lining up logistics now.

She broke the news to some of our closest friends last night and the wife went full :triggered: :howdareu: YOU'LL REGRET IT THERE'S NOTHING UP THERE ZOMG WINTER :triggered: :pout:

Most of the people we tell usually respond with "when can we visit?" It's less than 4 hours drive.
Some different scenery for your KOM attacks too! :lol:
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:58 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:40 pm https://youtu.be/A52p9jc-gOo

My production skills are near zero but I could throw down some tracks.
ChrisoftheNorth

It's been done before and you're welcome to. Plenty of space.

I actually have a buddy coming up from downstate over labor day and he's pitching a tent in the backyard.

Word is spreading, and we might need to make a visitation calendar. :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:58 pm

My production skills are near zero but I could throw down some tracks.
Would be the most epic timelapse riffs ever.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

They watch to understand how to get past a level or challenge, seeing someone else do something is a form of training whether it is finding a Minecraft secret room or renovating a room in a cabin in the woods. People would watch your channel to see how you guys overcome adversity while fulfilling the dream of hanging up the keyboard and telling the man to stick it.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:39 pm I would definitely watch.
Same. :excited: :gonbgud:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Well, looks like we have a deal struck...wife is drafting a formal offer as we speak.

House downstate isn't even listed yet and we've already got 3 interested parties just from wife putting out feelers. I think all this might happen really fast.

Wife also likes the idea of YouTube...our friends downstate really want to see the place, and her family in California have no idea what it's like up here. might give it a whirl just to stay in touch with friends and family.
ChrisoftheNorth

bonus fact... HOA dues are $800/year to maintain the waterfront area, roads, and apparently tennis courts and hiking trails... $1k/year of you add a boat dock. Based on our research in the area, that's dirt cheap, and probably means we'll get a small boat at some point. we're basically on Lake Michigan, soooo it'll get used in the summer.