Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

To what Dan said though... gravel bikes ride like you have a drag chute behind you at all times. I wonder how fast I'd be on a real road bike. The dong is growing for one. I'd probably get a road bike before getting a MTB.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Found a really nice group that I rode with yesterday. Super friendly people, great route, well organized (2x2, taking turns pulling, etc). They do a weekly Sunday ride, 54 miles at 9 AM. We did a pretty slow pace yesterday as it was more of a recovery vide. I was fine with this as I'd been up late/drinking the night prior at a wedding, but wound up doing 70 miles including the commute to/from. Lots of new-to-me roads that were quite nice and just a beautiful day, first time in a while we had a high right around 80, it's been hot as fuck here.

:megusta:

Did a road ride this AM and hoping to have time to hit some trails tomorrow.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:43 am Found a really nice group that I rode with yesterday. Super friendly people, great route, well organized (2x2, taking turns pulling, etc). They do a weekly Sunday ride, 54 miles at 9 AM. We did a pretty slow pace yesterday as it was more of a recovery vide. I was fine with this as I'd been up late/drinking the night prior at a wedding, but wound up doing 70 miles including the commute to/from. Lots of new-to-me roads that were quite nice and just a beautiful day, first time in a while we had a high right around 80, it's been hot as fuck here.

Sounds great dude. I found a group to ride with at 9am on Friday mornings. Not ideal, but it's impossible for me to do anything like that in the evening or on weekends. It's only a ~25 mile ride, but given I'll have to play hooky from work during the ride that's probably for the best. I'm planning on joining them for the first time on Friday, it's supposed to be a fairly sedate 16-18mph loop, but it should still be nice to finally get out and ride with some other people.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:48 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:43 am Found a really nice group that I rode with yesterday. Super friendly people, great route, well organized (2x2, taking turns pulling, etc). They do a weekly Sunday ride, 54 miles at 9 AM. We did a pretty slow pace yesterday as it was more of a recovery vide. I was fine with this as I'd been up late/drinking the night prior at a wedding, but wound up doing 70 miles including the commute to/from. Lots of new-to-me roads that were quite nice and just a beautiful day, first time in a while we had a high right around 80, it's been hot as fuck here.

Sounds great dude. I found a group to ride with at 9am on Friday mornings. Not ideal, but it's impossible for me to do anything like that in the evening or on weekends. It's only a ~25 mile ride, but given I'll have to play hooky from work during the ride that's probably for the best. I'm planning on joining them for the first time on Friday, it's supposed to be a fairly sedate 16-18mph loop, but it should still be nice to finally get out and ride with some other people.
Nice man!

I love riding solo but it's great to get out with groups as well, fun to meet people, find new roads/routes, go faster than possible alone, etc.

I also found out about a group ride that's M-F here at 5:15 AM. I've always wanted weekday morning group rides but :notsure: I want it bad enough to leave my house a 4:45...
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:06 am Nice man!

I love riding solo but it's great to get out with groups as well, fun to meet people, find new roads/routes, go faster than possible alone, etc.

I also found out about a group ride that's M-F here at 5:15 AM. I've always wanted weekday morning group rides but :notsure: I want it bad enough to leave my house a 4:45...
:yikes:

I consider myself a morning person, I'm usually at the gym by 6am or so, but leave the house at 4:45am?? :nope:

I am pumped for the group ride, doe.
Johnny_P

4:45 is too early, dawg
Johnny_P

Just slammed some more PRs on my ride tonight. Both road segments and mountain segments. On my busted BB steel shred sled.

🤘
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:22 pm Just slammed some more PRs on my ride tonight. Both road segments and mountain segments. On my busted BB steel shred sled.

🤘
:impressive: That dad bod doin its thang. :zing:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So I stopped at the LBS and test rode a MTB today (Roscoe 8 - https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... rCode=blue), and man it felt weird being on a hardtail again. I liked it overall, but the reach felt a little short on the M/L at 455, and the top tube definitely felt stubby compared to my old 26er. Maybe I'm just not used to more modern, steeper seat tubes. But if I decided to piss off the wife and see if she'd be cool popping for another MTB, I don't know if I'd want to hardtail again. It's too bad Ripley AF prices have gone way up (like everything else), but the jump from a decent hardtail to one of those didn't seem so steep a year ago.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:33 pm So I stopped at the LBS and test rode a MTB today (Roscoe 8 - https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... rCode=blue), and man it felt weird being on a hardtail again. I liked it overall, but the reach felt a little short on the M/L at 455, and the top tube definitely felt stubby compared to my old 26er. Maybe I'm just not used to more modern, steeper seat tubes. But if I decided to piss off the wife and see if she'd be cool popping for another MTB, I don't know if I'd want to hardtail again. It's too bad Ripley AF prices have gone way up (like everything else), but the jump from a decent hardtail to one of those didn't seem so steep a year ago.
Prices on everything are up. The ibis was a good buy a year ago. It’s a harder sell now for sure. Yeah I dunno full suspension is so good anymore there’s no real argument for a hardtail except lower price.
Johnny_P

Went on a road ride last night. Hands went numb. I gotta install that new bar tape and maybe get some padded gloves, if anyone has recs on those.

Still want a road bike. The all city is fine but has no immediacy to it’s step when you really start to push it. Acceleration is pretty slow, top speed is pretty dece tho. Like I was surprised I kept decent pace on most segments. But I was in the drops 60% of the ride because the hoods are too high for real road riding.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:22 pm Just slammed some more PRs on my ride tonight. Both road segments and mountain segments. On my busted BB steel shred sled.

🤘
:impressive: That dad bod doin its thang. :zing:
If I ate more I would probably build more muscle mass and be faster. But I generally don’t eat enough. I think what’s happening is I’m riding less so my body isn’t thinning itself out like typically happens in the summer.

I bet I’d smash most of my PRs if I had a road bike.
Johnny_P

@coogs you want a hardtail? I know a guy. Just installed all new pads and rotors too.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:33 pm @coogs you want a hardtail? I know a guy. Just installed all new pads and rotors too.
Want one? Yes. Will I actually buy one? If I even brought it up to :tits: she would murder me. GR86 and all.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I am significantly faster and have more fun on my full suspension. I always sort of thought full suss was kind of an “all the kit, still shit” thing for people in my area but the reality is it’s just way better. It helped me especially as I’m one of the best climbers on our local trails so the weight doesn’t really matter to me, but I’m a bit slow on descents and chunky stuff so the extra confidence the suspension offers helps a lot.

I don’t really think I’ll own a hardtail again, I’d rather have a gravel bike like the one I rented in Utah for lighter trails/all around duties.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:10 am I am significantly faster and have more fun on my full suspension. I always sort of thought full suss was kind of an “all the kit, still shit” thing for people in my area but the reality is it’s just way better. It helped me especially as I’m one of the best climbers on our local trails so the weight doesn’t really matter to me, but I’m a bit slow on descents and chunky stuff so the extra confidence the suspension offers helps a lot.

I don’t really think I’ll own a hardtail again, I’d rather have a gravel bike like the one I rented in Utah for lighter trails/all around duties.
For me there's a lot of value in terms of speed to being able to stay seated and keep pedaling over the trail chatter. And to your point, in the confidence to be able to keep up speed on the downs.

What I really want is a Ripley on DVO suspension. When I demoed that V1 Ripmo I was chatting with the shop owner and that's where he landed in terms of a recommendation after talking to me about how and where I'd ride. Too bad that sort of bike would cost me like $7k.

Find some sucker to buy the '86 for $40k and :doit:? :lol:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:10 am I am significantly faster and have more fun on my full suspension. I always sort of thought full suss was kind of an “all the kit, still shit” thing for people in my area but the reality is it’s just way better. It helped me especially as I’m one of the best climbers on our local trails so the weight doesn’t really matter to me, but I’m a bit slow on descents and chunky stuff so the extra confidence the suspension offers helps a lot.

If I ever decide to mountain bike again I'd get a FS no question
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Shiiiiiiit.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:33 pm Shiiiiiiit.

:doit:

Man… discounted bikes. Maybe the madness really is ending.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

At JP… what did you wind up getting helmet-wise? 🪖

I want new road and mountain. I’ve had a POC MTB helmet… it looks cool but man the quality didn’t hold up to the outrageous price. I have a Kask road helmet that was given to me. It’s OK but doesn’t fit that great. My favorite helmet has been my cheap Giro, think I’m going to go back to them for road, not sure on MTB.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:18 pm

:doit:

Man… discounted bikes. Maybe the madness really is ending.
If I even bring it up :tits: will murder me unless I off the GR86 and have a pile of cash from the sale just sitting there.

I don't think the :fullretard: prices are going anywhere, especially if the latest inflation numbers are to be believed. I think the price increases on the AF models were more than people are willing to stomach and they either went to other bikes or stepped up to the carbon models.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:24 pm At JP… what did you wind up getting helmet-wise? 🪖

I want new road and mountain. I’ve had a POC MTB helmet… it looks cool but man the quality didn’t hold up to the outrageous price. I have a Kask road helmet that was given to me. It’s OK but doesn’t fit that great. My favorite helmet has been my cheap Giro, think I’m going to go back to them for road, not sure on MTB.
Giro makes good stuff. If it fits your head go for it. Some of the best in the biz. I got a Smith helmet… persist or something. It’s ok, covers more of my head than my specialized helmet used to so that’s fine. But doesn’t breathe very well.

Kask helmets don’t usually work for me, the ear loops are too high and not adjustable. Had the same issue with a POC Omne. Loved it, fit awesome, but the ear loops were too high up and non adjustable. So I didn’t keep it.
Johnny_P

That seems like a good deal. I think the bike insanity is over now that people are poor again, no longer cooped up at home, and flooding the used market with their hardly used bikes. A lot of shops near me have started to advertise deals again.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:24 pm At JP… what did you wind up getting helmet-wise? 🪖

Giro makes good stuff. If it fits your head go for it. Some of the best in the biz. I got a Smith helmet… persist or something. It’s ok, covers more of my head than my specialized helmet used to so that’s fine. But doesn’t breathe very well.

Kask helmets don’t usually work for me, the ear loops are too high and not adjustable. Had the same issue with a POC Omne. Loved it, fit awesome, but the ear loops were too high up and non adjustable. So I didn’t keep it.
I have the same problem with my Kask... it works OK but the loops are just a bit too far up for maximum comfort. POC road helmets I've trie have had that issue. My MTB one does not, what bothers me about it is that the padding started falling out and the adhesive failing like... maybe 3-4 months into ownershit. That really just sucks for such an expensive thing. THey sure do look cool though. I guess I need to go somewhere and try stuff on.

The shop where I bought the Spark offers a free tune up. I don't really need that but might :doit: because why not. They are cool so I'll check some helmets there and maybe buy something. I suppose trying before buying is the way here.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:06 pm

That seems like a good deal. I think the bike insanity is over now that people are poor again, no longer cooped up at home, and flooding the used market with their hardly used bikes. A lot of shops near me have started to advertise deals again.
My buddy just got a new OBED gravel bike and it was delivered fully assembled within two weeks. I remember looking at their stuff when I got the Ribble and it was a similar six month or whatever wait at that time.

I think many people who jumped on the cycling train during the 'VID are in it for the long haul which is cool, but at the same time, those people already have bikes and plenty others bought stuff and didn't really get into it.

I see this the most with MTB. There are so many people in the CLT area who have $5-10K bikes and hit trails like once a quarter. It's funny because they are always embarrassingly bad at climbing, you can spot them from a mile away.