Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:20 pm

:bow:

I mean, Jack of All Trades, Master of None is an important thing to exist, and my current car is no different. Owning multiple bikes is cheaper and easier than multiple cars :doe:
No joke. Unfortunately the Venn diagram of cars that will fit 3 crotchfruit seats and cars that don't suck has exactly zero overlap. Two cars or seppuku for me.

I feel like a Supercaliber is THE do-it-all bike for this kind of stuff. Stupid light and insanely snappy, but more comfortable and more capable than a drop bar bike. If I wasn't :wrong: more people would be riding them, though.
Oh yeah, I would love that on [user not found]'s ride. :iono: any tiny bit of trails I've done on my drop bar bikes I haven't really enjoyed, but I'm sure it takes getting used to. Actual gravel roads seem ideal for drop bars :doe:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:22 pm I feel like a super :waxer: racy XC bike with fast tires and some kind of aero bars would get you 90% of the way there. Maybe use TT style satellite shifters and brake levers... the brakes would be the hardest part to do, shifting is simple with electronics.

Basically the car equivalent of a rally car.
I haven't actually ridden a bike like that so :iono: but I still think it would be garbage on any sort of serious trails. I don't really like super serious trails though, so it would check most boxes for me. Flowy for the win.
Sure, but you don't take a rally car rock crawling either. :iono: like I said, dangerous stuff like that is of no interest to me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Giving this a whirl Monday - https://www.strava.com/routes/2868903477789130328

9K feet of climbing over 101 miles. The views should be gorgeous though, I'm hoping for some decent weather, I think this will be my biggest ride of climbing yet, although in Hawaii I did over 7K in 25 miles :sweaty:

It is similar to the Skyline ride [user not found] and I attempted earlier this year :popcorn:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I have real wants for a Tarmac SL7.
Probably too racy / stretched out. It’s a long bike.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:14 pm I have real wants for a Tarmac SL7.
Probably too racy / stretched out. It’s a long bike.
:doit:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

If you have any wants, you may as well start chasing them now... It looks like many bikes are a full year out :disappoint:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think I'm going to try my first trail ride clipped in tomorrow :popcorn:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:12 pm If you have any wants, you may as well start chasing them now... It looks like many bikes are a full year out :disappoint:
:gay:

I find myself wishing I had a decent quick road bike rather often. The two wheel system on the steel bike doesn’t cut it. That thing is not great on road rides.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:12 pm If you have any wants, you may as well start chasing them now... It looks like many bikes are a full year out :disappoint:
Which is why I jumped on the Ripmo when I found that frame. Supply is starting to tighten up again from what I’ve seen. I’ve been to the local Trek store a few times for some small parts here and there, and in the last few weeks they’ve gone from 8-10 weeks out to “early 2022” for delivery.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, at least for not super technical stuff like the ride I did this morning, clipping in on trails is fantastic. Looks like I need to buy a pair of pedals.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:50 pm Well, at least for not super technical stuff like the ride I did this morning, clipping in on trails is fantastic. Looks like I need to buy a pair of pedals.
Yes. Its like enabling a cheat code.
Johnny_P

Did I already ask this? I think I already asked this.

What is everyone using for glasses these days? I need a lighter tinted set for dirt use. Tifosi straight up doesn't fit my face. REI didn't have anything else in stock.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:55 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:28 pm Did I already ask this? I think I already asked this.

What is everyone using for glasses these days? I need a lighter tinted set for dirt use. Tifosi straight up doesn't fit my face. REI didn't have anything else in stock.
Roka. Very happy with my SL1s.
Maybe I’ll check these out next time they have a Strava challenge promo. My Tifosis suck in the summer, I guess they don’t get enough airflow behind them so they’re a mess of sunscreen, sweat, and fog I can’t see out of when it’s hot. Perfectly fine in cooler weather though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I was pretty pleased with yesterday’s fondo:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:48 pm

Maybe I’ll check these out next time they have a Strava challenge promo. My Tifosis suck in the summer, I guess they don’t get enough airflow behind them so they’re a mess of sunscreen, sweat, and fog I can’t see out of when it’s hot. Perfectly fine in cooler weather though.
They're doing 35% off for labor day right now brah. Go for it.
I might go to REI and see if they have anything I can try on... it's another one of these things that I don't really know how well it will work without buying it.

Speaking of, now that I am stealing the pedals I've been using on the Ribble for the MTB, I'm debating making the move to real road shoes, but also kind of :butwhy:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:28 pm They're doing 35% off for labor day right now brah. Go for it.
I might go to REI and see if they have anything I can try on... it's another one of these things that I don't really know how well it will work without buying it.

Speaking of, now that I am stealing the pedals I've been using on the Ribble for the MTB, I'm debating making the move to real road shoes, but also kind of :butwhy:
If you want a cheapo pair of SPD pedals I have a set that you can have. They're supposed to be Shimano M540 but I think they're fake and I was too lazy to return them to the ebay seller. Dunno if they're any good, I never tried them.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:51 pm
D Griff wrote:

If you want a cheapo pair of SPD pedals I have a set that you can have. They're supposed to be Shimano M540 but I think they're fake and I was too lazy to return them to the ebay seller. Dunno if they're any good, I never tried them.
Thanks man, I'll let you know, still trying to decide exactly what I want to do across the three bikes.
Johnny_P

Played bikes today.

PR’d a road segment that I’ve been chasing since like 2015. Only 2-3 seconds off KOM. Did that on my dirt tires. Not bad.

Had a damn blast in Belmont today on the CX bike. I love this thing so much. What other type of bike can handle singletrack and then rocket you home at 20 MPH?
Johnny_P

But I still have major wants for a proper road bike. It would have to be a bit more upright than an all out race bike. My back can’t handle being hunched over for hours anymore.

Hard part of this is I would rather have a killer cross bike and a meh road bike. Given how often I’ll end up using them. But I love this steel sled and can’t let it go.

And I still need to sell my MTB and replace it with a boring commuter / kid hauler of some sort to get beat up by the city.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:57 am
[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:28 pm

They're doing 35% off for labor day right now brah. Go for it.

Hm. Not really necessary if you’re not getting hot spots and such on your feet. I like the 4 sided entry of my dirt pedals. I’d probably just put those on any road bike I’d get and use one pair of shoes across the bikes.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I did a 15 mile lap around valley forge and down the SRT yesterday on the MTB with 2.8 fat tires… that was fun keeping them rolling.

Man, I’d love a gravel/adventure/whatever bike if I lived close enough to do that on the regular.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:03 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:57 am

Stop being a :scrooge: and get some road shoes and a road helmet for that fancy road bike.
I actually got a helmet :lolol: Although it was a :scrooge: :dill: , I may get another one I like a bit more. It is a Kask Rapido.

I am just :notsure: on the shoe front, something like these seems kind of perfect all around: https://www.rei.com/product/178863/shim ... shoes-mens

Then I don't have to fiddle with multiple shoes/pedal types, I can walk like a normal person, easier to clip in/out of, etc. That said, I've never tried real road shoes so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. It's sort of a tough pill to swallow spending $300-400 for something that may or may not actually be better. :iono: I find most cyclists totally overrate the equipment and just getting better works just as well.

I can go out on my POS 30 pound Raleigh with commute tires in baggies and flat pedals and only be 8ish percent slower, so I just can't imagine a different cleat type is really going to change the game, but maybe it would as far as comfort goes or something else.

I do want a new saddle :doe: , :notsure: how to go about deciding on that one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:58 pm But I still have major wants for a proper road bike. It would have to be a bit more upright than an all out race bike. My back can’t handle being hunched over for hours anymore.

Hard part of this is I would rather have a killer cross bike and a meh road bike. Given how often I’ll end up using them. But I love this steel sled and can’t let it go.

And I still need to sell my MTB and replace it with a boring commuter / kid hauler of some sort to get beat up by the city.
Yo, list up the MTB, it's a great time to sell!

I would say :doit: on the road bike, doesn't have to be anything too crazy. It's a waiting game right now though, even worse than when I ordered mine. I placed the order around 8/1/20 and received 1/1/21, although my custom paint added 40ish days so they say. Ribble is now one year out allegedly. I think others are similar.

Also, nice work on the almost KOM, if you had a road bike you could easily pick it up :trollface:

The most gratifying KOMs ever were ones I got on my steel bike :doe: .
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My trail ride this morning got majorly rained out... bleh. Now I'm down a serious online shopping for bike shit rabbit hole. :disgust:

The Shimano PD-ES600 is regular (MTB) SPD and looks like a pretty dece/lightweight road pedal.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:12 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:03 am

Stop being a :scrooge: and get some road shoes and a road helmet for that fancy road bike.
I actually got a helmet :lolol: Although it was a :scrooge: :dill: , I may get another one I like a bit more. It is a Kask Rapido.

I am just :notsure: on the shoe front, something like these seems kind of perfect all around: https://www.rei.com/product/178863/shim ... shoes-mens

Then I don't have to fiddle with multiple shoes/pedal types, I can walk like a normal person, easier to clip in/out of, etc. That said, I've never tried real road shoes so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. It's sort of a tough pill to swallow spending $300-400 for something that may or may not actually be better. :iono: I find most cyclists totally overrate the equipment and just getting better works just as well.

I can go out on my POS 30 pound Raleigh with commute tires in baggies and flat pedals and only be 8ish percent slower, so I just can't imagine a different cleat type is really going to change the game, but maybe it would as far as comfort goes or something else.

I do want a new saddle :doe: , :notsure: how to go about deciding on that one.
For the saddle, call around to local shops and see if they have a loaner saddle program. Usually you can try a bunch before buying and the rental fee gets deducted from the saddle price.