Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:20 pm Hope you're still able to play hockey in some capacity, man. Sucks when your body says no to what you love doing.

in4more riding :doe:
Thanks man. For a long time I'd been playing just when someone was out for a night or something, but there was a goaltender in the league who it turns out tore his meniscus and did some other damage to his knee while playing and the team needed a longer-term stand-in, so I agreed to play for the remainder of the season. I played 6 weeks in a row and honestly had felt really good until game #6. But the thing that sucks the most is that after playing 5 games in 5 weeks I was starting to feel like myself out there. I was seeing the puck well, my skating was getting back to what I'm used to, I was playing like the best goaltender in the league. I'm not as good as I was at 17,18, but pretty damn good for a 35 year old beer leaguer. We'd won each of the first five games I played, the team moved up from tied for last (of 8) to tied for 4th to finish the season. We won the first round game in the playoffs which meant we had to play the #1 team in the semis. I don't know how they got so stacked, but that team was really good. They move the puck well and play very east-west, which puts a lot of pressure on the defense and the goaltender.

After any prior games where my hips hurt badly afterward, I could always point to a play or two that did it. I extended too far here, tweaked it there somehow, but at the end of this game my hips didn't really hurt at all, I was just tired. I took probably 50+ shots, made some really difficult saves, got into some extended positions and it all felt fine. But on the way home as I started to cool down things started to ache. I did a bunch of foam rolling, some stretching, popped a couple Aleve, and still woke up at 3am from the pain in my hips. The game was Thursday night, and it wasn't until Sunday afternoon that I was feeling back to 100%. My body is telling me to stop, it's probably time to listen. My PT still thinks she can get my pelvis positioned properly and that I'll eventually be to a point where I won't have any symptoms anymore, but I don't believe it. The shit's helping, but I think the goaltending ship has sailed. At least I'll still be able to skate out and enjoy the night at the rink with the guys. Now I gotta drop some coin on all the forward gear, though. :wasteful: Also I haven't skated out since 8th grade, this should be an adventure. :lolol:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Man I have a real hard time with 40 mile rides anymore. Did one last night that totally kicked my ass. Got home and couldn’t even eat, my body basically shut down.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:49 am Man I have a real hard time with 40 mile rides anymore. Did one last night that totally kicked my ass. Got home and couldn’t even eat, my body basically shut down.
Working on that dad bod.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:49 am Man I have a real hard time with 40 mile rides anymore. Did one last night that totally kicked my ass. Got home and couldn’t even eat, my body basically shut down.
Working on that dad bod.
You’d think hucking around a 30 lb meat sack of a toddler all the time would help with strength and stamina not degrade it 😂
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Finally got the Emonda out today. There's a rail-to-trail section fairly close to home that I rode over to. Eventually it's supposed to run up to and through the town of Noblesville, which will be cool once it's done, but for now it stops a mile or so south of it. I also took a little detour through the tiny nature preserve tucked away close to the trail. There were some dirt paths that wind around that pond, which made me immediately realize why gravel bikes are a thing. Felt good to be outside on a bike for a change.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:25 pm Finally got the Emonda out today. There's a rail-to-trail section fairly close to home that I rode over to. Eventually it's supposed to run up to and through the town of Noblesville, which will be cool once it's done, but for now it stops a mile or so south of it. I also took a little detour through the tiny nature preserve tucked away close to the trail. There were some dirt paths that wind around that pond, which made me immediately realize why gravel bikes are a thing. Felt good to be outside on a bike for a change.

Hell yeah man, looks like fun!

I have little 32mm gravel tires on my old commuter road bike, it’s a pretty nice compromise of going on gravel, hopping curbs, etc. while still rolling well. I do kinda want a gravel bike though.

I am actually renting one and riding in Zion next week after my Vegas trade show, pretty stoked on that.

Did a quick ish road ride this afternoon due to limited time but finally picked up a KOM I’ve been chasing by one second. :megusta:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:49 pm Hell yeah man, looks like fun!

I have little 32mm gravel tires on my old commuter road bike, it’s a pretty nice compromise of going on gravel, hopping curbs, etc. while still rolling well. I do kinda want a gravel bike though.

I am actually renting one and riding in Zion next week after my Vegas trade show, pretty stoked on that.

Did a quick ish road ride this afternoon due to limited time but finally picked up a KOM I’ve been chasing by one second. :megusta:
Yeah! Had a good time. Trying to find some folks to do some weekday lunch rides with, we'll see if anything materializes.

I would do the same if I had a steel bike like yours. 32mm or 35mm (or even 40mm) tires depending on what fits. Enjoy the cush and the versatility. The 28mm tubeless R3s I have on there now are comfortable, but I didn't want to push my luck going off road with them.

Congrats on the KOM bruh. :cheers:

New jersey came in today too, a Rapha training jersey in gray/black/pink. Matches the bike, and maybe a subliminal nod to :mahtroy: :pouroneout:

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/pro- ... 02SSPAMLRG
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:25 pm Finally got the Emonda out today. There's a rail-to-trail section fairly close to home that I rode over to. Eventually it's supposed to run up to and through the town of Noblesville, which will be cool once it's done, but for now it stops a mile or so south of it. I also took a little detour through the tiny nature preserve tucked away close to the trail. There were some dirt paths that wind around that pond, which made me immediately realize why gravel bikes are a thing. Felt good to be outside on a bike for a change.

That is a sweet bike. Does it handle shit road alright? I really kind of do miss a fast road bike. I'm not THAT slow, when I'm in shape.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:21 pm

Yeah! Had a good time. Trying to find some folks to do some weekday lunch rides with, we'll see if anything materializes.

I would do the same if I had a steel bike like yours. 32mm or 35mm (or even 40mm) tires depending on what fits. Enjoy the cush and the versatility. The 28mm tubeless R3s I have on there now are comfortable, but I didn't want to push my luck going off road with them.

New jersey came in today too, a Rapha training jersey in gray/black/pink. Matches the bike, and maybe a subliminal nod to :mahtroy: :pouroneout:

Somewhere over 30mm you start to really increase drag. For a road dedicated bike, 28-30 is pretty ideal.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:51 pm That is a sweet bike. Does it handle shit road alright? I really kind of do miss a fast road bike. I'm not THAT slow, when I'm in shape.
Thanks man. Compared to my prior CAAD10 on 23s it's like riding on a cloud, but that's really the only comp I have.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:12 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:51 pm That is a sweet bike. Does it handle shit road alright? I really kind of do miss a fast road bike. I'm not THAT slow, when I'm in shape.
Thanks man. Compared to my prior CAAD10 on 23s it's like riding on a cloud, but that's really the only comp I have.
Yeah caads are stiff race bikes. Cool that this rides softer. One major reason I stopped riding the Cervelo, it was too rough and the roads are all shot around me.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:39 am
coogles wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:12 am

Yeah caads are stiff race bikes. Cool that this rides softer. One major reason I stopped riding the Cervelo, it was too rough and the roads are all shot around me.
It's also on tubeless 28s @ ~81psi front and 83psi rear, versus the like 120psi I used to run on the CAAD. I have to imagine that's the vast majority of the difference.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:53 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:39 am

It's also on tubeless 28s @ ~81psi front and 83psi rear, versus the like 120psi I used to run on the CAAD. I have to imagine that's the vast majority of the difference.
Nice!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:21 pm

That is a :nice: jersey!

I’m with you that tires are the biggest factor in ride comfort, and other stuff like handling and speed.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:42 pm That is a :nice: jersey!

I’m with you that tires are the biggest factor in ride comfort, and other stuff like handling and speed.
It is nice, a wee bit tight on the arms, doe.

:massles: or :fatty: ? :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:42 pm That is a :nice: jersey!

It is nice, a wee bit tight on the arms, doe.

:massles: or :fatty: ? :lol:
Cycling jerseys are made for people with stick figure arms, any :massles: whatsoever are going to bulge out.
Johnny_P

Man. Despite completely shot bottom bracket bearings, 38c tires, complete lack of aerodynamics, and about 10 extra pounds on the bike and 5 in the gut, I’m still breaking PRs that I held with the Cervelo in 2015 timeframe.

I gotta get a new BB bad though. I can feel the crank wobbling lol. The bearings are totally shot. Should I just go Ultegra or get like a King or something?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:47 pm Man. Despite completely shot bottom bracket bearings, 38c tires, complete lack of aerodynamics, and about 10 extra pounds on the bike and 5 in the gut, I’m still breaking PRs that I held with the Cervelo in 2015 timeframe.

I gotta get a new BB bad though. I can feel the crank wobbling lol. The bearings are totally shot. Should I just go Ultegra or get like a King or something?
I would probably get Shimano, you know it’s good. BB isn’t rocket science :doe: just grab what you want.

Nice job on the PRs :doe: :fuckyeah:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I did a neat Zion ride Sunday, rented a Kona gravel bike. Was fun and pretty hard. 85 miles, probably 25 of them off road.

Johnny_P

Nice! Riding around Zion is amazing.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Yeah that looks pretty epic. But also about 35 miles too many. Dang.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:30 pm Yeah that looks pretty epic. But also about 35 miles too many. Dang.
HOnestly the gravel bike was VERY comfy and the ride had so much variety I really didn't even notice the fact that I was riding for six hours. I stopped whenever I felt like it, spent plenty of time just sitting in a lonely corner of Zion soaking in the scenery. It is pretty much closed to cars to it was really amazing. Anywhere away from the shuttle stops I pretty much had 100% to myself. I am also one that is totally cool with spending days alone.

The last 12-15 miles were horrible :doe: ... Flat open road into a pretty serious headwind on a slow ass bike in 102F sun... :nope: I was happy when that was done.

The gravel bike was pretty sweet on every terrain other than flat pavement. It climbs well, descending was plenty fun, off road was great. Just grinding it felt very slow. The thing was surprisingly light :doe: Those 45 mmm are just not easy rolling.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:44 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:30 pm Yeah that looks pretty epic. But also about 35 miles too many. Dang.
HOnestly the gravel bike was VERY comfy and the ride had so much variety I really didn't even notice the fact that I was riding for six hours. I stopped whenever I felt like it, spent plenty of time just sitting in a lonely corner of Zion soaking in the scenery. It is pretty much closed to cars to it was really amazing. Anywhere away from the shuttle stops I pretty much had 100% to myself. I am also one that is totally cool with spending days alone.

The last 12-15 miles were horrible :doe: ... Flat open road into a pretty serious headwind on a slow ass bike in 102F sun... :nope: I was happy when that was done.

The gravel bike was pretty sweet on every terrain other than flat pavement. It climbs well, descending was plenty fun, off road was great. Just grinding it felt very slow. The thing was surprisingly light :doe: Those 45 mmm are just not easy rolling.
So 12-15 miles too many.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:58 pm

So 12-15 miles too many.
I could've happily done another 15 miles on the road through Zion where the scenery was amazing, no vehicle traffic was present, and the 1,000 ft. canyon walls shielded me from the wind :lolol: .
Johnny_P

I run 38 slicks for that reason. Any knobs on a 40mm+ tire is just drag city. Not on the trails though, those little knobs bite like honey badgers.

So did you ride into Zion from the north entrance? That's a BRUTAL stretch. I bonked fucking hard on that section when I rode it and ended up with mild heat stroke that took 2 days to recover from.