Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:44 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:42 am Looks like the bike bubble burst. Lots of stuff available online with steep discounts. Unfortunately a big discount on a $8k bike makes it still too expensive lol.
The Mojo 4 is 35% off...the wants are bad. N+1 even has them with free upgrades to the Pike Ultimate fork and Ibis carbon 35 rims. A Deore build is like $3,300 shipped. :tits: said no. :eeyore:
Yeah Ibis and Pivot sales are pretty solid right now. I’d love something like a switchblade but can’t justify $6k on a bike I’ll hardly ever use.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:42 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:44 am

The Mojo 4 is 35% off...the wants are bad. N+1 even has them with free upgrades to the Pike Ultimate fork and Ibis carbon 35 rims. A Deore build is like $3,300 shipped. :tits: said no. :eeyore:
Yeah Ibis and Pivot sales are pretty solid right now. I’d love something like a switchblade but can’t justify $6k on a bike I’ll hardly ever use.
$6k is tough to swallow, but a frame and shock when the Mojo 4 initially launched cost $3k, now you can get a whole bike with some nice parts for $300 more. $3,300 is also basically exactly what I sold the Trance for. Ah well. I still wouldn't ride it enough to justify spending $3,300.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I was faster a year ago :doe: :ohwell: I think I'm also up like 15 pounds from that point :fatty: :disappoint:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:42 pm

$6k is tough to swallow, but a frame and shock when the Mojo 4 initially launched cost $3k, now you can get a whole bike with some nice parts for $300 more. $3,300 is also basically exactly what I sold the Trance for. Ah well. I still wouldn't ride it enough to justify spending $3,300.
:doit:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:43 pm I was faster a year ago :doe: :ohwell: I think I'm also up like 15 pounds from that point :fatty: :disappoint:
You looked like a refugee :doe:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:43 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:50 pm

:doit:
yeeeaaaa, nahgonnahappen
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:42 am Looks like the bike bubble burst. Lots of stuff available online with steep discounts. Unfortunately a big discount on a $8k bike makes it still too expensive lol.
Yep, and I have a garage full of parts that are now worthless. :doomed:
Johnny_P

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:46 pm
Yep, and I have a garage full of parts that are now worthless. :doomed:
Yeah I have 2 bikes that are totally worthless too. The best ass commuter is more desirable than the mountain bike on the used market.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I am :aintcare: , I like muh bikes.

Maybe I’ll find some :fancy: :ramz: if I can get a :dill: :doe:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:45 pm I am :aintcare: , I like muh bikes.

I have 4 road bikes and parts to build 2 more because I'm an idiot. The last time I rode a bike outdoors was Memorial day.

If you want a pair of 40/55mm carbon aero :ramz: I have some that would be cheap. I hated them riding in wind and city traffic with my skinny ass being pushed around.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:45 pm I am :aintcare: , I like muh bikes.

I have 4 road bikes and parts to build 2 more because I'm an idiot. The last time I rode a bike outdoors was Memorial day.

If you want a pair of 40/55mm carbon aero :ramz: I have some that would be cheap. I hated them riding in wind and city traffic with my skinny ass being pushed around.
I probably need to wait a few months to let :tits: forget about the new car purchase but I’d be interested if you wind up still having them.

Interesting, you’re one of the few who doesn’t rave about :fancy: :ramz: on bicycles.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I love my lightweight non-aero wheels, but I hate the aero ones. I'm not strong enough to cause any kind of flex in anything either so stiffness/response is meaningless for me. Dropping a lb per wheel is huge :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:59 pm I love my lightweight non-aero wheels, but I hate the aero ones. I'm not strong enough to cause any kind of flex in anything either so stiffness/response is meaningless for me. Dropping a lb per wheel is huge :doe:
Aero wheels just look so good :lolol:

It's also not particularly windy here which may help, FL has a lot more wind.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:54 am
Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:59 pm I love my lightweight non-aero wheels, but I hate the aero ones. I'm not strong enough to cause any kind of flex in anything either so stiffness/response is meaningless for me. Dropping a lb per wheel is huge :doe:

I know nothing from personal experience, but reviews seem to indicate some aero wheels are way worse than others in crosswinds, too. There seems to be kind of a sweet spot around that 40-50mm depth where you get a ton of aero benefits, but they can still ride okay in windy conditions depending on the design. I would really love to throw some nice carbon aero-ish :ramz: on the Emonda, eventually. I think it'd really wake the thing up.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:47 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:54 am

I know nothing from personal experience, but reviews seem to indicate some aero wheels are way worse than others in crosswinds, too. There seems to be kind of a sweet spot around that 40-50mm depth where you get a ton of aero benefits, but they can still ride okay in windy conditions depending on the design. I would really love to throw some nice carbon aero-ish :ramz: on the Emonda, eventually. I think it'd really wake the thing up.
It will almost definitely be my next large cycling purchase as everyone says it makes the largest difference. That said, I am not dying to have them or anything, I've managed to get by and go pretty fast without. I always figured I'd wait until I got bored with the Ribble and wanted to do something.

The silver lining would be putting some moderately skinny gravel tires on my Mavics to open up the bike a bit more for different uses.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:00 am
coogles wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:47 am

It will almost definitely be my next large cycling purchase as everyone says it makes the largest difference. That said, I am not dying to have them or anything, I've managed to get by and go pretty fast without. I always figured I'd wait until I got bored with the Ribble and wanted to do something.

The silver lining would be putting some moderately skinny gravel tires on my Mavics to open up the bike a bit more for different uses.
:notbad:

I made the mistake of test riding some :fancy: bikes at the LBS last summer after I'd already bought the Emonda. There's quite the difference between how my bikes gets up to speed and some of those, and some carbon :ramz: would help close that gap almost completely without totally breaking the bank. That Aethos was :megusta:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I picked up maaaybe 0.5 mph going from a 20 lb aluminum non-aero endurance bike with Claris components to a 16 lb carbon race bike with carbon aero wheels and Ultegra components. Both bikes on the same tires.

That being said, my fastest ever ride was 18 mph absolutely busting ass at 180-200 bpm the whole time... maybe people who don't suck will see a larger benefit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:18 pm I picked up maaaybe 0.5 mph going from a 20 lb aluminum non-aero endurance bike with Claris components to a 16 lb carbon race bike with carbon aero wheels and Ultegra components. Both bikes on the same tires.

That being said, my fastest ever ride was 18 mph absolutely busting ass at 180-200 bpm the whole time... maybe people who don't suck will see a larger benefit.
I actually agree, it's more the 'feel' than anything. I can go about 90% as fast on my 25 pound Claris equipped 80s bike on 32 mm gravel tires as the carbon bike I paid $3K for. Now, if you start talking really long distances, those speeds will begin to gap more, but under say 30 miles in duration, it's surprising how little the differences are.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I was even almost the same speed on the FX flat bar hybrid, down like 1 mph from the road bikes.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The faster you're going the more the bike matters. I felt pretty quick on a FX too, kinda want one just to whip around the neighborhood with some zip compared to the old 26er MTB.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Also, y'all have me on the Peloton again. I haven't gone ham with it, but I'm trying to pencil out a program to really spend some time on the bike without completely killing the gainnzzzzz. We'll see how it goes. Last time I got burned out doing both and then just bailed on the bike altogether. I've been listening to this Alex Viada due about "hybrid training" and it's super interesting. Dude can deadlift 700lbs and has also done tris and an ultramarathon. It's fuckin' :impressive:.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:47 pm Also, y'all have me on the Peloton again. I haven't gone ham with it, but I'm trying to pencil out a program to really spend some time on the bike without completely killing the gainnzzzzz. We'll see how it goes. Last time I got burned out doing both and then just bailed on the bike altogether. I've been listening to this Alex Viada due about "hybrid training" and it's super interesting. Dude can deadlift 700lbs and has also done tris and an ultramarathon. It's fuckin' :impressive:.
Is this a podcast? I may give it a listen. I'm a pretty avid podcast listener but haven't really found anything I love about cycling/fitness.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:07 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:47 pm Also, y'all have me on the Peloton again. I haven't gone ham with it, but I'm trying to pencil out a program to really spend some time on the bike without completely killing the gainnzzzzz. We'll see how it goes. Last time I got burned out doing both and then just bailed on the bike altogether. I've been listening to this Alex Viada due about "hybrid training" and it's super interesting. Dude can deadlift 700lbs and has also done tris and an ultramarathon. It's fuckin' :impressive:.
Is this a podcast? I may give it a listen. I'm a pretty avid podcast listener but haven't really found anything I love about cycling/fitness.
I don't think he has a podcast, but he's written a book about it, and has program templates to try. He also does a weekly q&a on his Instagram that's usually really interesting. Here's a good intro -

https://www.artofmanliness.com/health-f ... ast-viada/
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:07 pm

I don't think he has a podcast, but he's written a book about it, and has program templates to try. He also does a weekly q&a on his Instagram that's usually really interesting. Here's a good intro -

https://www.artofmanliness.com/health-f ... ast-viada/
Thanks for the rec, that was super interesting. I think I’ll pick up the book as this speaks my language more than most fitness stuff. Although I prefer cycling, I still care for my lifting roots and love an overall fitness approach.
Johnny_P

Carbon wheels made a big difference in climbing and comfort in my experience. I didn’t notice any benefits outside of that. I’m not fast enough. So I never bought any. I probably should have bought a pair though, I’d probably still have the Cervelo if I did.