:wtf: WAP made a car thread? AKA the most boring car thread ever

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:34 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:33 pm

My biggest issue with the industry now is that the entire car "release/reveal" pricess has shifted YEARS into the future. It's like we see a prototype and a pre order process at least 2+ years before being able to physically get the vehicle... I don't think OEMs ever released/revealed products this early before mass production.
I.E When can one buy a new F150 lightning... the most popular vehicle in the US of A. Probably 2+ years out... at the least from the reveal.

Reveal was exactly 1 year ago... haven't seen any anywhere... and you can't buy a 22 model year... :wtf:
Thank your lord and savior Elon for that.
Somewhat his fault for sure. But ironically their delivery timelines seem superior to the rest. There should be no reason on the planet why a Model X will deliver quicker than a Bronco.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:11 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:36 pm
It is different than "normal" pre-VID :doe: , at this diller anyway. They ALWAYS had a hand full of GTI's, a GLI or 2, often an R, several Tig's and Atlas's, etc. And once upon a time a bunch of Golfs, GSW's, TDI's, etc. They even had a couple of ID4's last year.

Hopefully I'll see lots start to fill up here soon. :popcorn:
Pretty much every OEM has claimed they won't return to "normal" inventory with full lots again. I :yeahsure: that, but it'll be interesting to see if that's the case.

I kind of like going into the dealer, identifying the exact vehicle I want, then waiting for it to come in. It's how Europeans have always bought cars, and makes sense. Buying the 4R was the best buying experience I've had yet, and I got the exact truck I wanted.
Sure, but don't you need an example of every model on the floor so you can go in to make that determination?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

wap wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:47 pm
Pretty much every OEM has claimed they won't return to "normal" inventory with full lots again. I :yeahsure: that, but it'll be interesting to see if that's the case.

I kind of like going into the dealer, identifying the exact vehicle I want, then waiting for it to come in. It's how Europeans have always bought cars, and makes sense. Buying the 4R was the best buying experience I've had yet, and I got the exact truck I wanted.
Sure, but don't you need an example of every model on the floor so you can go in to make that determination?
Yea... It's a tough call. But one example of each vehicle type seems like the most "normal" approach. But specific options etc are very difficult to visualize and figure out. But hell I bought cars sight unseen in Florida and was perfectly happy.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Exactly
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

We drove a TRD Sport (the road version) 4Runner when we went to check them out. Similar interior to ours, somewhat similar features, but overall did a great job at showing the size, comfort, drive, tech, etc. I wanted a green off-road, and the dealer found one in coming. I mentioned that I was a bit concerned that the Off-road might not be what we wanted exactly, sales bro :aintcare: "we'll sell it no matter what". No deposit, he called when it came in, we drove it and could have walked away scot free if we didn't like it.

My dealer could be a model for how dealers should handle this situation going forward. No deposits, no markups, no bs, no pressure.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:29 pm
We drove a TRD Sport (the road version) 4Runner when we went to check them out. Similar interior to ours, somewhat similar features, but overall did a great job at showing the size, comfort, drive, tech, etc. I wanted a green off-road, and the dealer found one in coming. I mentioned that I was a bit concerned that the Off-road might not be what we wanted exactly, sales bro :aintcare: "we'll sell it no matter what". No deposit, he called when it came in, we drove it and could have walked away scot free if we didn't like it.

My dealer could be a model for how dealers should handle this situation going forward. No deposits, no markups, no bs, no pressure.
Side note... I never really understood the sport trim. It is identical to the OR, minus the locker and it usually comes with slightly larger wheels but minivan tires. So they probably drive incredibly similar.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:29 pm

Side note... I never really understood the sport trim. It is identical to the OR, minus the locker and it usually comes with slightly larger wheels but minivan tires. So they probably drive incredibly similar.
Not from my experience. The Sport has the Limited rear suspension layout, which is far more street friendly and better for handling. It was surprisingly decent to drive on the road, better than I expected by quite a bit. My ORP is far more rolly and "soft" feeling handling by comparison. Before the Sport, the only way to get the on-road suspension was the Limited :waxer: So it makes sense in the lineup IMO. I also suspect that most sales are SR5, OR, and TuRD Bro. Limited having it's own unique suspension for a limited volume doesn't make financial sense, so they were probably trying to boost volume. PLUS, the Sport uses the Limited front fascia which probably has some CAFE/GHG scoring benefits to use on more volume.

That said, I don't understand why anyone would buy an on-road 4R. There's SO MANY other choices that are better for that use case, it just makes no sense.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:08 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:17 pm

Not from my experience. The Sport has the Limited rear suspension layout, which is far more street friendly and better for handling. It was surprisingly decent to drive on the road, better than I expected by quite a bit. My ORP is far more rolly and "soft" feeling handling by comparison. Before the Sport, the only way to get the on-road suspension was the Limited :waxer: So it makes sense in the lineup IMO. I also suspect that most sales are SR5, OR, and TuRD Bro. Limited having it's own unique suspension for a limited volume doesn't make financial sense, so they were probably trying to boost volume. PLUS, the Sport uses the Limited front fascia which probably has some CAFE/GHG scoring benefits to use on more volume.

That said, I don't understand why anyone would buy an on-road 4R. There's SO MANY other choices that are better for that use case, it just makes no sense.
Especially in 2WD trim... which was around for a bit :disgust:

Wait school me on this what is the difference between the rear suspensions? I figured they are all the same minus the fancy hydraulic option on some of them for the sway bars. And the Turd BROs having the remote reso shocks.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:08 pm

Wait school me on this what is the difference between the rear suspensions? I figured they are all the same minus the fancy hydraulic option on some of them for the sway bars. And the Turd BROs having the remote reso shocks.
X-REAS...similar to KDSS (the hydraulically mounted sway bar option on ORs), it basically connects the opposite front and rear shocks together for flatter handling. It's only on the Limited and TuRD Sport...

So:

KDSS - Hydraulically mounted front sway bar - Option on TuRD OR
X-REAS - Ties front and rear together - Standard on TuRD Sport and Limited
Fox - Different shocks, includes nothing above - Standard on TuRD Bro

The X-REAS was legit on the Sport I drove, it was nice. I imagine KDSS would be nice on the OR, but it's pricey and rare so if you MUST HAVE IT, you'll be making compromises elsewhere. My :dillerman: didn't have a single KDSS equipped 4R coming in at the time I got mine, I'd probably still be waiting if it was a must have. It's a truck and drives like one, I don't mind the rollyness at all :aintcare: Never driven a Bro, no opportunity to. I assume it's probably better than mine on road while maintaining the same off-road performance.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:46 pm

X-REAS...similar to KDSS (the hydraulically mounted sway bar option on ORs), it basically connects the opposite front and rear shocks together for flatter handling. It's only on the Limited and TuRD Sport...

So:

The X-REAS was legit on the Sport I drove, it was nice. I imagine KDSS would be nice on the OR, but it's pricey and rare so if you MUST HAVE IT, you'll be making compromises elsewhere. My :dillerman: didn't have a single KDSS equipped 4R coming in at the time I got mine, I'd probably still be waiting if it was a must have. It's a truck and drives like one, I don't mind the rollyness at all :aintcare: Never driven a Bro, no opportunity to. I assume it's probably better than mine on road while maintaining the same off-road performance.
Because my Tahoe has no off road aspirations at all I just went with the Hotchkis bars. That rapper lyfe.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:52 pm

So:

Because my Tahoe has no off road aspirations at all I just went with the Hotchkis bars. That rapper lyfe.
No T1 Tahoe has off road aspirations. Even the Z71 is just a poser, just look at how low the rear control arms hang.

Yours on dub deuces and hotchkiss bars is :megusta: Excellent call IMO
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:52 pm

No T1 Tahoe has off road aspirations. Even the Z71 is just a poser, just look at how low the rear control arms hang.

I'm K2, I avoid the control arm hang and Suburbanesque length. My buddy has one, the interior is a bit nicer but it has the dumb giant pano roof. He has the Premier I do like the quad integrated exit tips (very high quality, Corvettish) he just needs some BROLA mufflers.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:57 pm

I'm K2, I avoid the control arm hang and Suburbanesque length. My buddy has one, the interior is a bit nicer but it has the dumb giant pano roof. He has the Premier I do like the quad integrated exit tips (very high quality, Corvettish) he just needs some BROLA mufflers.
That's right! I forgot you got the K2 and your buddy got the T1.

Still, K2s aren't really off-roady at all either. Maximize pavement pounding potential 100%.
max225

So:

Great info ty! :themoreyouknow:
So presumably there is
1. Sr5 base suspension
2. Sport/limited suspension
3. OR with billstein
4. oR with kdss
5. Trd Bro

5 different suspensions for the same vehicle … that’s insane. And very untoyota like
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

KDSS trucks had an overall thicker front sway bar since it could be hydraulically “disconnected” basically. So on road they drive much better and corner flatter.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:32 pm

So:

So presumably there is
1. Sr5 base suspension
3. OR with billstein
4. oR with kdss
5. Trd Bro

5 different suspensions for the same vehicle … that’s insane. And very untoyota like
I'm actually not sure there's anything different between the SR5 suspension and the OR...I think OR is just poverty suspension, it's way too lose to be anything fancy.

SR5/OR
OR with KDSS
Sport/Limited
TuRD Bro Fox

Yea, that's a lot of complexity for Toyota. But the rest of the vehicle has minimal complexity and has been around forever, so it's probably manageable. A ton of people complain about how soft the SR5/OR is, and X-REAS addresses that really well, so the suspension makes sense. But I suspect most buyers are like me who don't care about the soft base/OR suspension, and Toyota saves quite a bit of money by keeping that as the volume.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:48 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:32 pm

So presumably there is
1. Sr5 base suspension
3. OR with billstein
4. oR with kdss
5. Trd Bro

I'm actually not sure there's anything different between the SR5 suspension and the OR...I think OR is just poverty suspension, it's way too lose to be anything fancy.

SR5/OR
OR with KDSS
Sport/Limited
TuRD Bro Fox

Yea, that's a lot of complexity for Toyota. But the rest of the vehicle has minimal complexity and has been around forever, so it's probably manageable. A ton of people complain about how soft the SR5/OR is, and X-REAS addresses that really well, so the suspension makes sense. But I suspect most buyers are like me who don't care about the soft base/OR suspension, and Toyota saves quite a bit of money by keeping that as the volume.
I thought the OR came with billsteins? That must be a tacoma thing... For tacoma it was SR5 base TR OR with Billsteins and TRD pro.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:48 pm

SR5/OR
OR with KDSS
Sport/Limited
TuRD Bro Fox

I thought the OR came with billsteins? That must be a tacoma thing... For tacoma it was SR5 base TR OR with Billsteins and TRD pro.
I can't find anything about that in particular, which is why I assume SR5 and OR are the same. I'd be shocked (har) if my truck had fancy shocks on it, it's really soft and rolly. Fancy shocks tend to be firmer, and I don't want that.

Tacoma has more differentiation between trims it seems. But at double the volume, Toyota can afford to do that.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Let's face it Brosteins can be added to anything.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:49 pm Let's face it Brosteins can be added to anything.
:dat:

Which is why IDGAF about the stock shocks. If I don't like it, easy fix.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:54 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:49 pm Let's face it Brosteins can be added to anything.

I wouldn't add any brosteins to a stock vehicle. Waste of money. Take off COX from a BRO who think he knows better is an amazing bang for the buck IMO.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:54 pm

I wouldn't add any brosteins to a stock vehicle. Waste of money. Take off COX from a BRO who think he knows better is an amazing bang for the buck IMO.
I have added brosteins to numerous vehicles and been pleased every time. B8s are going on the BMW in 10K miles. They are better dampers in almost all cases than stock.
wap

[user not found] wrote:
No one gives a shit about Virginia

:(
max225

wap wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:51 pm [user not found] wrote:

:wat: does that mean
wap

max225 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:47 am
wap wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:51 pm [user not found] wrote:

:wat: does that mean
That was originally a quote from :[user not found]: , whose essence has been wiped from DFD.