:wtf: WAP made a car thread? AKA the most boring car thread ever

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:15 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:11 pm

Yeah lifetime fills man. My BMW 8 speed is "lifetime"..........of course if you go to ECS tuning the description of their change kit says the ZF becomes a "ticking time bomb" at 45,000 miles. :lolgasm:
A luxury German branded tranny costs more than i can afford to spend on it.

So what do you have to do for a drain/fill? I'm taking gate into my own hands here!
Here is the FCP Euro kit for the 440i with bomb warning.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-ga ... kt#fitment
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:02 pm
wap wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:51 pm
:notwrong: there.

It does seem to be better lately, :doe:
Yeah, because there's only like 4 of us left...
:hai:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:28 pm
Tar wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:15 pm

A luxury German branded tranny costs more than i can afford to spend on it.

So what do you have to do for a drain/fill? I'm taking gate into my own hands here!
Here is the FCP Euro kit for the 440i with bomb warning.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-ga ... kt#fitment
Gotcha, some new plastic belly pan with integrated gasket. Good info, TY!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:40 pm I found it interesting that the VAQ fluid needs to be changed every 3 years, regardless of mileage. Is that the case with other LSD's?
I find it interesting that it is not mentioned in the owner's :manuel: and its up to the service bro to even remind you of it. How many GTI's go without it? :doomed:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:57 pm
wap wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:40 pm I found it interesting that the VAQ fluid needs to be changed every 3 years, regardless of mileage. Is that the case with other LSD's?
I find it interesting that it is not mentioned in the owner's :manuel: and its up to the service bro to even remind you of it. How many GTI's go without it? :doomed:
It's in my :manuel: :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:41 pm
razr390 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:57 pm

Weird. Wasn’t in mine
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

razr390 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:20 pm
wap wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:41 pm

Weird. Wasn’t in mine
It's in the warranty and maintenance booklet.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I thought it was every 30,000 miles? I just changed the fluid in mine.

The other thing with these cars is the brake fluid needs to be changed three years after purchase, and then every two years afterwards. That was an update that VW mailed out.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:17 am

The other thing with these cars is the brake fluid needs to be changed three years after purchase, and then every two years afterwards. That was an update that VW mailed out.
What are your thoughts on that frequency? I'm always going the distance with brake fluid (like double the recommended) and have yet to experience brake fade or any other problems. I guess water causes rusting of brake lines? Who knows?
wap

I think it's 3/30 on the LSD juice (I just turned 25k), and yeah, brake fluid after 3 years then every 2 thereafter.
wap

Tar wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:10 am

What are your thoughts on that frequency? I'm always going the distance with brake fluid (like double the recommended) and have yet to experience brake fade or any other problems. I guess water causes rusting of brake lines? Who knows?
I think :dat: 's the reason.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:28 am

I think :dat: 's the reason.
Wonder how much water ratio we're talking here. 2%? Would it pool in one spot preventing the oil from coating it to cause :doom: ? The only brake lines I've ever actually seen rusted out were those of an 18 yr old lowered 1999 Honda Civic.. even that I suspect was from external elements. Who's got the :science: ?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Water is more compressible than hydraulic fluid (brake fluid). So over time it causes a spongier brake pedal etc. I have been in many cars where owners never changed the fluid… up to 20 years … but that doesn’t mean that’s right.
Brake fluid absorbs water/moisture by design. And brake lines usually rust outside in… not inside out. If you have enough water in the brakes to cause rust you physically don’t have brakes.

I would do it every 2 years, yes it’s “overkill” but I like to keep my shit in tip top shape.

I would say 5 years is tops for brake fluid. I notice a pretty big diff after a change that’s older than 3 years. I would go by age and not miles.

At 2 years you won’t notice much … which is kind of the point. If you notice a difference in brake feel after a change you waited too long.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:dat: makes sense, the manufacturer setting fluid changes to preserve OE pad feel. I learned something new @max, TY :like:
Huckleberry

Typically, it is recommended every five years just because brake fluid will absorb moisture over time. In terms of the frequency in the Mk7 GTI, I am just going to defer to VW's recommendation as I assume they have some data to back up this change. I have a Motive power bleeder, so it isn't a big deal for me, and I will just use the ATE Typ 200 that I use in everything. Will the ATE fluid negate the interval because it isn't the factory fluid? Maybe. That would just be a matter of inspecting the fluid and seeing how it looks. If it is still amber in two years and the brakes are fine, then I may reassess the interval. But for this first go-around, I will follow the three year recommendation.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:30 pm

Typically, it is recommended every five years just because brake fluid will absorb moisture over time. In terms of the frequency in the Mk7 GTI, I am just going to defer to VW's recommendation as I assume they have some data to back up this change. I have a Motive power bleeder, so it isn't a big deal for me, and I will just use the ATE Typ 200 that I use in everything. Will the ATE fluid negate the interval because it isn't the factory fluid? Maybe. That would just be a matter of inspecting the fluid and seeing how it looks. If it is still amber in two years and the brakes are fine, then I may reassess the interval. But for this first go-around, I will follow the three year recommendation.
Good info @Huckleberry, that's for the detailed response to my question.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I use ATE as well, it’s always held up great on track and isn’t as insanely expensive as some others. I recently replaced the BMW’s fluid and it looked brand new after about 2.5 years and a handful of track and autox things.

Two years under normal use seems a bit much but whatever, I’d likely do the same as well if they call for it.

I am also a nonbeliever in the lifetime fill fluids. Change the shit from time to time, most lifetime stuff I’d likely do every 40-50k miles personally.

@WAP, diff fluid is always black and stinky as hell every time I’ve ever changed it, so the somewhat frequent interval seems legit to me. I did it annually on the Corvette because it made noises.
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:50 pm

I use ATE as well, it’s always held up great on track and isn’t as insanely expensive as some others. I recently replaced the BMW’s fluid and it looked brand new after about 2.5 years and a handful of track and autox things.

Two years under normal use seems a bit much but whatever, I’d likely do the same as well if they call for it.

I am also a nonbeliever in the lifetime fill fluids. Change the shit from time to time, most lifetime stuff I’d likely do every 40-50k miles personally.

@WAP, diff fluid is always black and stinky as hell every time I’ve ever changed it, so the somewhat frequent interval seems legit to me. I did it annually on the Corvette because it made noises.
I've been using ATE for those same reasons: it performs well and isn't priced to the moon. I still remember their Super Blue days before the US outlawed the use of blue brake fluid. Back then, all of my cars had blue brake and clutch fluid.

I don't trust lifetime fill fluids, either. Everything has a lifespan; it's the nature of the beast. I also make sure to remove spark plugs well before their 100k intervals just to apply some anti-seize to the threads and dielectric grease to the boots. If the plugs are iridiums, they will last for a long time, but steel plugs in aluminum heads can make for a bad time after 100k miles-worth of combustion cycles.

Differential fluid intervals depend on the vehicle for me. The GTO's changes are infrequent - maybe every 4 or 5 years, but the El Camino needs it done about every 2 years because the rear will start making noises in slow parking lot turns. The GTI is every 3/30k, and we shall see what the 944 does.
Huckleberry

Tar wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:21 pm

Good info @Huckleberry, that's for the detailed response to my question.
Anytime. Always willing to answer questions.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Huckleberry wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:15 am

I've been using ATE for those same reasons: it performs well and isn't priced to the moon. I still remember their Super Blue days before the US outlawed the use of blue brake fluid. Back then, all of my cars had blue brake and clutch fluid.

I don't trust lifetime fill fluids, either. Everything has a lifespan; it's the nature of the beast. I also make sure to remove spark plugs well before their 100k intervals just to apply some anti-seize to the threads and dielectric grease to the boots. If the plugs are iridiums, they will last for a long time, but steel plugs in aluminum heads can make for a bad time after 100k miles-worth of combustion cycles.

Differential fluid intervals depend on the vehicle for me. The GTO's changes are infrequent - maybe every 4 or 5 years, but the El Camino needs it done about every 2 years because the rear will start making noises in slow parking lot turns. The GTI is every 3/30k, and we shall see what the 944 does.
One thing that is wild to me with BMW is the 30k mile plug interval. It’s easy and cheap to do, but such an odd one. I actually had some misfire stuff right around that time that replacing the plugs and wires fixed.
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:06 am
Huckleberry wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:15 am

One thing that is wild to me with BMW is the 30k mile plug interval. It’s easy and cheap to do, but such an odd one. I actually had some misfire stuff right around that time that replacing the plugs and wires fixed.
Are the plugs copper, platinum, or iridium? If they are standard copper, then I can see the 30k interval, and would recommend stepping up to iridiums. The motor will run smoother and be more responsive due to the thinner plug tip not requiring as much energy to ignite and allowing for a more complete burn as a result.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Huckleberry wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:39 am
D Griff wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:06 am

Are the plugs copper, platinum, or iridium? If they are standard copper, then I can see the 30k interval, and would recommend stepping up to iridiums. The motor will run smoother and be more responsive due to the thinner plug tip not requiring as much energy to ignite and allowing for a more complete burn as a result.
Iridium and $17 a pop
wap

:word: :like:
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:39 am
Huckleberry wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:39 am

Iridium and $17 a pop
I'm assuming that's from BMW?
At that point, I would look at NGK ruthenium plugs, which are a step above iridium and at that same price point. Or just get NGK iridiums and save money.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I pulled the NGK plugs from the wifemobile, and they show some oxidization between the nut and ceramic ring but no significant wear on the electrodes. Probably could have done another 60k