A DFD Public Coronavirus Announcement

Step right up and take a hot cup of welcome!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:32 pm
dubshow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:48 pm

sad how politics dictate friends now days.
He's gotten uh... extremely right wing since moving to Tejas.

But hey, he's a pilot and a Mopar tuner, so think about who his clientele is.
I've seen this happen myself. :disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:34 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:09 pm Alright, I’ll :gtfo: now.

Adios.
Hopefully we'll be fine in 2 months, and we can look back on this and laugh. Or in 2 months we'll look back and wish we took it seriously. We won't know until we get there.

Not sure why you're choosing to :nope: out, but alrighty then.
You can laugh at it while taking it seriously.

Going full retard on 10+ bulk packs of TP and food hoarding isn't taking it seriously. People are the biggest issue here. Being forced to shut business down is a very scary precedent.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

dubshow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:07 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Hopefully we'll be fine in 2 months, and we can look back on this and laugh. Or in 2 months we'll look back and wish we took it seriously. We won't know until we get there.

Not sure why you're choosing to :nope: out, but alrighty then.

Going full retard on 10+ bulk packs of TP and food hoarding isn't taking it seriously. People are the biggest issue here. Being forced to shut business down is a very scary precedent.
I've added a few countermeasures, and just about everything here is shut down. Restaurants, schools etc.
When I'm out I've got gloves on, and I'm geared up with a half a dozen N95s and a face shield if it went full epidemic.

Next step is to take outside foods/packages and letting them decontaminate for three days before bringing them into the house, but again those aren't necessary yet.

I don't mind a good laugh, and find alarmists annoying. Like we get it, the virus is really shit and let's adjust. Stop preaching the :bs: like everyone else is an idiot.

This is a safe space, for the most part we are smart enough to do the right thing.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So what is so terrifying about this opposed to the seasonal shit we get hit with daily... also... how about driving in itself... 30k a dead annually... the death rate of this virus is miniscule... why disrupt our lives THIS much :thisisfine:
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:34 pm
dubshow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:07 pm

Agreed on that front. The hoarding is fucking dumb.

But when your people don’t take it seriously, what else can be done?
Home today? we can't even leave the house out here...
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:41 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:35 pm

Home today? we can't even leave the house out here...
I’m off today, back in tomorrow.

NYC about to issue a shelter in place advisory.
Who the F is car shopping right now... :yikes:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:35 pm So what is so terrifying about this opposed to the seasonal shit we get hit with daily... also... how about driving in itself... 30k a dead annually... the death rate of this virus is miniscule... why disrupt our lives THIS much :thisisfine:
This has the potential to kill millions and the main target is our elderly. Good bye grandparents of America except for those of the very young.....

The reason that Trump DRASTICALLY changed his tone was the study from England

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/ ... ut-drastic
Last edited by Irish on Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Irish wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:50 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:35 pm So what is so terrifying about this opposed to the seasonal shit we get hit with daily... also... how about driving in itself... 30k a dead annually... the death rate of this virus is miniscule... why disrupt our lives THIS much :thisisfine:
This has the potential to kill millions and the main target is our elderly. Good bye grandparents of America except for those of the very young.....
Average age of the dead is 82 under the virus in the states... Life expectancy of the people in the US are what... 73 male and 77 female ?
The data in the U.S. is similar to Italy, which has been particularly hard-hit by the coronavirus, found the average age among the 105 patients who died from the virus as of March 4 was 81 years old. It also roughly matches data from China, which found that the risk of death increases with age
The data in the U.S. is similar to Italy, which has been particularly hard-hit by the coronavirus, found the average age among the 105 patients who died from the virus as of March 4 was 81 years old. It also roughly matches data from China, which found that the risk of death increases with age
But yes lets continue to panic
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

My close friend is on lock down in Torino Italy (about 100miles from the red zone), there are so many boomers and a few non-boomers dying of fibrosis in the lungs that they have nowhere to put their deceased. There are a lot of things that Italy did wrong, which won't be repeated in Canada and the USA hopefully, but dont fool yourself, it's real.

Sure you and I probably won't die but enough will that it is literally the plague that we joke about when we say this world is due for one.

The problem is that the virus will survive for a day (on a metal surface) or longer on other surfaces. If one asshole brings it to the check out counter at a grocery store then everyone after her will have on their stuff for the rest of the day. So it's more contagious then other viruses.

I'm not scared per say, but I do respect its ability to spread and that it goes right for the lungs, double lung pneumonia is a common side effect. At least that's what I'm gathering from others. It's worth looking into Italy and Spain and how things are transpiring.

Here's something to start with.

TL;DR
Dude is stuck in Spain with CV. Says it's a shitty and dismal existence and he wants to warn others to take is seriously.

max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:53 pm
It’s an unknown.

With something like the flu, we have decades upon decades of research and knowledge. We know how to treat it, we have vaccines, etc.

Even though coronaviruses themselves are nothing new, this one is different because it’s aggressive, spreads rapidly, and the morbidity rate on those affected is much higher in comparison. We dont have a vaccine, we don’t know exactly how it spreads yet, we don’t know exactly how long it lives on every surface, we also don’t know if immunity can be built up or not.

Really it boils down to numbers. At the exponential rate it infects everyone, without intervention, 70%+ of us are bound to get it. Who are you willing to kill? Your dad? Your uncle? Your grandmother?

Additionally, our healthcare network is in no shape to handle a situation like this. For a developed country, we have a rather low number of hospital beds per capita (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... pital_beds).

If we all take it seriously for 2-3 weeks, limit social interaction, and just press pause on life... we should be able to have a significant impact on the infection rate, and keep hospitals from becoming overwhelmed.

Problem is, without government support we can’t do this. If the people are asked to press pause, the banks, the businesses, everything - needs to be able to pause as well.

90 day deferments on mortgage payments, loan payments, taxes owed, bills, rent, etc need to happen.
The problem is everyone who gets Corona will seek treatment vs those who have the flu and just stay home. So it exacerbates the issue at hand. Where the system becomes insanely taxed and doctors have to let people die, as you mentioned we can't handle it... but should we have these many.... beds on call at all times.. No one knows. :iono:
Last edited by max225 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yeah the deferral without interest would be nice. It seems fair and should be mandated. Every other business and individual is taking a hit, no reason the banks, cc co's and .gov should demand payments.
Irish

The Spanish Flu killed 675,000 in 1918.... and yes medicine has come a long way but there are less than a million hospital beds in this country and only 10% of them are set up for fatal illness ....also there are 10x the number of people over 80 now versus then and something like 40x the number of people between 70-80

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/sim ... -covid-19/
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Because left to their own devices, there are too many selfish morons in the world. People who keep the big C going because they won't stop congregating and spreading this around, and it ICES old people. It's somewhat interesting in that that the young people living month to month are the ones who have to be dispersed at gunpoint because they are the perpetuators...........and the SURVIVORS. Meanwhile this shit gets into the old folks homes and its literally the fox in the henhouse.

It's also a particularly nasty way to buy it. That's got a lot to do with the panic.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:So what is so terrifying about this opposed to the seasonal shit we get hit with daily... also... how about driving in itself... 30k a dead annually... the death rate of this virus is miniscule... why disrupt our lives THIS much :thisisfine:
Driving doesn't spread exponentially.

This could easily end up killing millions.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:07 pm
max225 wrote:So what is so terrifying about this opposed to the seasonal shit we get hit with daily... also... how about driving in itself... 30k a dead annually... the death rate of this virus is miniscule... why disrupt our lives THIS much :thisisfine:

So does the flu. Yet no panic. Also... its been months... and still no millions are dead.
Irish

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:09 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:07 pm

So does the flu. Yet no panic. Also... its been months... and still no millions are dead.
Between 3% and 11% get the Flu and the Death Rate is 0.1%

Some reports say that 75 to 150 million of us are going to get this (Approx 25% to 45%) and that the death rate is approx 2.0% (that's 20 times that of the flu)

If the medical system is overwhelmed the death rate could climb.

Social DIstancing is more about spreading out the inevitable infection over a longer time period (flattening the curve) than it is in avoiding getting it altogether ......
max225

Irish wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:28 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:09 pm

Some reports say that 75 to 150 million of us are going to get this (Approx 25% to 45%) and that the death rate is approx 2.0% (that's 20 times that of the flu)

Social DIstancing is more about spreading out the inevitable infection over a longer time period (flattening the curve) than it is in avoiding getting it altogether ......
How many already got it and didn't get tested. That death rate is grossly exaggerated.
Irish

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:31 pm
Irish wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:28 pm

How many already got it and didn't get tested. That death rate is grossly exaggerated.
Even 1% of 100 million people is a fuck ton of dead grandparents and parents....
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
Irish wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:28 pm Between 3% and 11% get the Flu and the Death Rate is 0.1%

We don't know exactly, therefore we should assume that it's not serious? Ok boomer.
Irish

I don't trust the numbers coming out of China in the remotest way..... But I do hope you're right Max....I just fear that you aren't right enough....
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Was talking about this with my cardiologist just yesterday. As the denominator of the mortality rate grows with increased testing, he figures that the rate will settle around .6 or so. Better, but still way higher than the flu, at least until a vaccine is developed.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

Acid666 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:29 pm This is the idiot we have to deal with who severely lacks comprehension. He's only mad because our governor is a democrat (but basically acts like a republican)
https://www.facebook.com/38845160817037 ... /?vh=e&d=n

My god I hate this fucking state. The idiots that rally around this retard are just appalling and genuinely uneducated. Another one that thinks this is a "Chinese virus that invaded us"
The election of Governor Edwards was a very interesting outcome for such a red state. Everyone just hated Jindal's guts by the time the election rolled around.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:46 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:41 pm

I’m off today, back in tomorrow.

NYC about to issue a shelter in place advisory.
Who the F is car shopping right now... :yikes:
Me :plac:
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
max225

Irish wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:49 pm I don't trust the numbers coming out of China in the remotest way..... But I do hope you're right Max....I just fear that you aren't right enough....
I don’t but I don’t trust ours either. My point is if this was sooo bad that were holed up at home for at least 4+ weeks people better be dropping dead in the streets... and it isn’t happening.

Hope I’m right also, I don’t want people to die per say. But for now we’re more in panic mode than anything else
Irish

The only way for the uninfected to make a difference for those who do eventually get infected is for us to all act like we have it right now...

Once the medical infrastructure gets overwhelmed :doomed: