Gberg's Alpo Gorf with a bit of Plac Profit

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:17 pm Yeah higher rear pressure was going to be my next suggestion. Also, I'd absolutely go full off in an autocross, its usually safe to do it at those events. That was probably the major culprit.
I'll give it a shot.

I had no clue end links were such a hot topic in Mk7 land. :mindblown:

Tons of threads about sway bars and end links with no real consensus. I've gotta think I'd be okay to run a rear bar with the stock links especially at stock height. I have no plans on ever lowering it.
:lol: This is the case errwhere.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:15 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:22 pm

I'll give it a shot.

I had no clue end links were such a hot topic in Mk7 land. :mindblown:

Tons of threads about sway bars and end links with no real consensus. I've gotta think I'd be okay to run a rear bar with the stock links especially at stock height. I have no plans on ever lowering it.
:lol: This is the case errwhere.
:lolol: True. I don't know why I expected something different.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Also, anyone left on here with a Raceseng knob? I noticed mine has been looking pretty terrible after just a few years. In direct sunlight the cracking is fairly noticeable. The knob is still smooth so it’s under the clear coat but that shouldn’t happen with the anodizing right?

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:40 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:03 pm That looks like a good time!

I'd probably go with 034 for the rear bar. https://store.034motorsport.com/adjusta ... attro.html
I'm kind of mixed on 034 stuff. Some of their parts like intakes are comically overpriced but the sway bar pricing is in line with everything else. I just really want to set it and forget it and not have to chase squeaks and creaks.

My other concern about just doing the rear bar is that it may feel incomplete. I felt the same way with my Mk6 last time which is why I had the front and rear done at the same time. Of course doing both bars then pushes me out of a street class in autocross. Not a big deal but it's a lot in labor since the front requires dropping the subframe.

Dropping the subframe then means all new hardware and probably a deadset kit while I'm at it. Smallish job turns into a big job. Suspension mods have that domino effect.
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:30 pm I used a bunch of Moog parts on my Corvette's suspension and had good luck even with regular track use, so nothing wrong with that.

I also would be comfortable keeping the stock ones on a newish car.

Glad to see you're out having fun with the :gorf: !
So just out of curiosity I looked up the OE end links on the Mk6 and they were metal. Bizarre that Mk7's are plastic. I guess they're not under that much stress if they're plastic? Maybe I could just run the rear bar with the stock ones for a bit? If it starts clunking that means I need the Moogs but that's another part to grease.

$32 for both of them certainly beats the $140+ for superpro, 034, etc.
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:47 pm That’s what my GTI used to do. I bet a rear sway bar or alignment with some more negative camber would help. Can you defeat stability control in the R?
You can but I've been too much of a :pussy: to go full off. It was in ESC sport. There's another event July 3. I'm going to try upping my pressures a bit to 42-43 front and 45 rear and full esc off. I was rolling over the sidewall a lot at 40. Maybe a few extra psi will help.
Oh wow, they’re plastic? Never seen/heard of that…

I would definitely turn nannies off in autox personally, not much to go wrong there and those systems tend to make all cars push like crazy and cut power a lot. They’re probably more intrusive on autox than any other driving since it’s so tight.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:23 pm Also, anyone left on here with a Raceseng knob? I noticed mine has been looking pretty terrible after just a few years. In direct sunlight the cracking is fairly noticeable. The knob is still smooth so it’s under the clear coat but that shouldn’t happen with the anodizing right?

Mine is in a closet somewhere, I prefer stock. It looked good for the time I had it on though.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:23 pm Also, anyone left on here with a Raceseng knob? I noticed mine has been looking pretty terrible after just a few years. In direct sunlight the cracking is fairly noticeable. The knob is still smooth so it’s under the clear coat but that shouldn’t happen with the anodizing right?

I'd contact Raceseng about that. You spent way too much money on a piece of colored metal to have it do that no matter how long you've owned it. Likely some issue with either the anodizing layer being too thick or their temperatures being off when they applied it.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:44 pm Oh wow, they’re plastic? Never seen/heard of that…

I would definitely turn nannies off in autox personally, not much to go wrong there and those systems tend to make all cars push like crazy and cut power a lot. They’re probably more intrusive on autox than any other driving since it’s so tight.
I'm all :mindblown: at plastic end links. $70 ones at that too. At least the fronts are metal.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-vol ... q0505465c/

The OE bar is 21.7mm while the H&R is 25mm. Seems like a big jump to trust the plastic to hold up. Spherical end links are overkill and I don't need adjustable since the car isn't being lowered.

What Moog parts did you use on the :poorvette: ?
Last edited by Gberg2119 on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:40 pm

I'd contact Raceseng about that. You spent way too much money on a piece of colored metal to have it do that no matter how long you've owned it. Likely some issue with either the anodizing layer being too thick or their temperatures being off when they applied it.
I already left a message for them on their website Monday but haven't heard anything. Just messaged them on instagram too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:38 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:44 pm Oh wow, they’re plastic? Never seen/heard of that…

I'm all :mindblown: at plastic end links. $70 ones at that too. At least the fronts are metal.

The OE bar is 21.7mm while the H&R is 25mm. Seems like a big jump to trust the plastic to hold up. Spherical end links are overkill and I don't need adjustable since the car isn't being lowered.

I don’t remember exactly, I’ll dig up my old spreadsheet but I think ball joints, tie rod ends, stuff like that. I think I used upgraded factory end links as my sway bars were just from newer/higher spec Corvettes.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:49 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:38 am

I don’t remember exactly, I’ll dig up my old spreadsheet but I think ball joints, tie rod ends, stuff like that. I think I used upgraded factory end links as my sway bars were just from newer/higher spec Corvettes.
I found some people on saying on vortex they haven't had issues with stock links. :iono:

If I do the bar I'll stick with stock and :aintcare: If they break I'll buy the Moogs.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

A couple of fun insurance updates since everyone loves insurance and I truly enjoy dealing with them. State Farm is definitely NOT a good neighbor.

State Farm is fighting the amount of the repair in subrogation with my insurance carrier as they don't think it should've cost that much. Their policy holder is 100% at fault and they're trying to fight the repair cost. :ayfkm:

State Farm also called me and said their view on diminished value is that if the car was repaired correctly there is no diminished value. :lol: I would need to provide proof of diminished value so I hired the appraisal guy that the body shop recommended who said to expect about 10-15%. Once he gets me the appraisals he'll tell me how to present it to State Farm.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:24 pm A couple of fun insurance updates since everyone loves insurance and I truly enjoy dealing with them. State Farm is definitely NOT a good neighbor.

State Farm is fighting the amount of the repair in subrogation with my insurance carrier as they don't think it should've cost that much. Their policy holder is 100% at fault and they're trying to fight the repair cost. :ayfkm:

State Farm also called me and said their view on diminished value is that if the car was repaired correctly there is no diminished value. :lol: I would need to provide proof of diminished value so I hired the appraisal guy that the body shop recommended who said to expect about 10-15%. Once he gets me the appraisals he'll tell me how to present it to State Farm.
Man, after Huck's disaster with State Farm and his house, I'm really starting to think about changing insurance...again. Progressive screwed me, State Farm has been fine, but I haven't had to make a claim.

:yikes:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:24 pm A couple of fun insurance updates since everyone loves insurance and I truly enjoy dealing with them. State Farm is definitely NOT a good neighbor.

I mean you can probably figure out diminished value pretty easily by getting two quotes from Vroom or Carvana, one with repair disclosure the other without.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:33 pm

I mean you can probably figure out diminished value pretty easily by getting two quotes from Vroom or Carvana, one with repair disclosure the other without.
Excellent idea.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:smrt: Didn't think of that. Oh well.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:52 pm

Man, after Huck's disaster with State Farm and his house, I'm really starting to think about changing insurance...again. Progressive screwed me, State Farm has been fine, but I haven't had to make a claim.

:yikes:
I don't know all the details but a person in my office had a tree fall on her house during a storm and said state farm was a disaster. She said she's changing once the whole process is complete.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:10 am

Should only take a few mins to run those quotes. Curious to see what it would come back with.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Man, it's like a secondhand smoke experience for insurance.

Sorry to hear that you have to deal with their horseshit, too. I don't know how it would work in your case, but I didn't get anywhere until I called and complained about my claim rep sucking at life and demanded that they find someone who can act in better faith. Apparently, the threat of a bad faith claim gets their asses in line. After that, the next guy upped my repair limits and started cutting the checks needed to fix the damage. But it took so much time and frustration to get to that point. It is a wonder more adjusters don't get shot with the way they delight in kicking people while they are down.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:25 pm

Sorry to hear that you have to deal with their horseshit, too. I don't know how it would work in your case, but I didn't get anywhere until I called and complained about my claim rep sucking at life and demanded that they find someone who can act in better faith. Apparently, the threat of a bad faith claim gets their asses in line. After that, the next guy upped my repair limits and started cutting the checks needed to fix the damage. But it took so much time and frustration to get to that point. It is a wonder more adjusters don't get shot with the way they delight in kicking people while they are down.
:dat: Insurance companies make lawyers and car dealers look like Gandhi.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

We've had tons of trouble with Nationwide too. The only insurance company that ever felt like it took good care of us was Cincinnati, but that's probably what you get for going with a smaller company that doesn't advertise. Once we get this current claim for fixing some damage from a leaky dishwasher closed out we're bailing on Nationwide and will be avoiding all of the other big agencies.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:55 pm

:dat: Insurance companies make lawyers and car dealers look like Gandhi.
A step below cable companies, the only two industries that penalize customer loyalty. At least cable companies provide a tangible service, insurance is just a scam.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:42 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:10 am

Should only take a few mins to run those quotes. Curious to see what it would come back with.
Clean Carvana: $35,669
1 Accident Vroom: $33,070

IIRC my :dillerman: said they'd give me around $38k. R's with way more mileage are still listed in the low 40's. I've only got around 12k on mine.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I actually laughed when the state farm guy told me there is no diminished value. And to think of all the money they're wasting in arbitration trying to fight the repair cost instead of just paying when their customer is at fault.

Lucky I decided to use my own insurance this time around instead of going through theirs. I can't imagine how bad it would've been during the repair process.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:59 pm

I actually laughed when the state farm guy told me there is no diminished value. And to think of all the money they're wasting in arbitration trying to fight the repair cost instead of just paying when their customer is at fault.

Lucky I decided to use my own insurance this time around instead of going through theirs. I can't imagine how bad it would've been during the repair process.
Interesting... I used geico last time and had 0 issues with pay out etc. I actually never had an issue with pay outs (used farmers a lot)... Other than the Nigerian dude. :disgust:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:17 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:59 pm

Interesting... I used geico last time and had 0 issues with pay out etc. I actually never had an issue with pay outs (used farmers a lot)... Other than the Nigerian dude. :disgust:
The last 3 times I've had to use insurance have gone like this. 3 different companies. :impressive:

:mk6: : Deer strike. Used Geico and their quick fix repair bullshit since the damage wasn't bad. Really just needed a new bumper and headlight but when they fixed the dent in the door it started leaking water into the cabin. Body shop denied responsibility of course and said all VW's do that and proceeded to give me a forum post about MkIV's Golf's leaking. Also, little things like not blending my tow hook cover with the newly painted bumper. 99% of people don't see that but it was noticeable to me. Car was :nuke: shortly after for the first R.

:gorf: #1 : Used the offender's policy to fix the car which was Nationwide. Johnny turned me on to cavallo so I used them for repairs which went well. Nationwide also gave me no problems when filing for diminished value.

:alpo: :gorf: : Decided to use my own insurance to get things moving asap which is travelers. They were kind of meh but I guess since I wasn't at fault they never gave me any trouble. All the repairs and supplementals went through with no problem. Used cavallo again for the repair.