Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:40 pm Yeah, a DSG GSW with an IS20 and ECU+TCU tunes is appealing from an enthusiast perspective. Hard to say whether it would really be worth all the extra cash.

Similarly, an Abarf auto with a rear seat delete might be great for half the price... or maybe an i3 of sorts.
Veloster N still exists and also with DCT, slightly larger than an abarth or the i3.
Isn't it nearly $40k and discontinued anyway?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:47 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Veloster N still exists and also with DCT, slightly larger than an abarth or the i3.
Isn't it nearly $40k and discontinued anyway?
DCT is 34k. In a couple years they'll probably be high 20's. Still pricey
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:45 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:46 pm I don't know if I want a :manuel:
Kona N my guy
:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

coogles wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:52 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:09 pm Image
:lolol:

That back bumper is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen.
:dat: :wtf:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:09 pm Image
:lolgasm: :wtf:

Also, why is it badged twice on the trunk?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

RLWake wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:04 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Good luck with that. All the N’s are plagued by shit availability and infuriating markups. Last I looked the only new Veloster N in central Flawda was marked up to $40k.
:bruh: do you mean all cars? I wanted a Hype R bad until I realized it was $50K OTD new or used! $50K! For a Civic! You just can't get around this right now, buying a vehicle is a fool's errand, hence why I'm driving a car I sold to a friend and bought back :lolol:

Someday, maybe, this madness will end. I don't think soon though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Would you? Legit question, do you prefer being lower to the ground in a car instead of higher up like in your CRV?
100% here for both myself and the wife. We fucking hate trucks. I don't even want an Abarf because of the stupid high seating position. Put my ass on the floor with my feet in front of me.
Your wife is I think the only woman I've ever heard of who isn't a car enthusiasts and doesn't "prefer to sit up high" :mindblown:

I still think the :jeep: is fun but I've really found I like the idea of it more than I actually enjoy driving it. In its element on a beach with the top off or something it is awesome, but yeah, driving a :truk: is mostly terrible.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:44 am
RLWake wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:04 pm

Good luck with that. All the N’s are plagued by shit availability and infuriating markups. Last I looked the only new Veloster N in central Flawda was marked up to $40k.
:bruh: do you mean all cars? I wanted a Hype R bad until I realized it was $50K OTD new or used! $50K! For a Civic! You just can't get around this right now, buying a vehicle is a fool's errand, hence why I'm driving a car I sold to a friend and bought back :lolol:

Most Honda dealers wanted $5k markup for a CRV. We got it at straight MSRP, which was also a rip off but a bit less of an anal pounding.

Buying a car right now is a horrible idea in general. Wait it out a year. Once they figure out supply problems we will be back to $3k off MSRP for the same CRV.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:46 am
troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:01 pm 100% here for both myself and the wife. We fucking hate trucks. I don't even want an Abarf because of the stupid high seating position. Put my ass on the floor with my feet in front of me.
Your wife is I think the only woman I've ever heard of who isn't a car enthusiasts and doesn't "prefer to sit up high" :mindblown:

I still think the :jeep: is fun but I've really found I like the idea of it more than I actually enjoy driving it. In its element on a beach with the top off or something it is awesome, but yeah, driving a :truk: is mostly terrible.
Lisa prefers wagons to SUVs. She likes sitting lower and hates feeling like she’s driving a barge.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
RLWake wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:04 pm Good luck with that. All the N’s are plagued by shit availability and infuriating markups. Last I looked the only new Veloster N in central Flawda was marked up to $40k.
:bruh: do you mean all cars? I wanted a Hype R bad until I realized it was $50K OTD new or used! $50K! For a Civic! You just can't get around this right now, buying a vehicle is a fool's errand, hence why I'm driving a car I sold to a friend and bought back Imageol:

But inflation is zero! :yeahok:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:57 am
D Griff wrote:
:bruh: do you mean all cars? I wanted a Hype R bad until I realized it was $50K OTD new or used! $50K! For a Civic! You just can't get around this right now, buying a vehicle is a fool's errand, hence why I'm driving a car I sold to a friend and bought back Imageol:

But inflation is zero! :yeahok:
:lolgasm:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:01 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:57 am But inflation is zero! :yeahok:
Last edited by Johnny_P on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:03 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:01 am

https://www.scotthonda.com/new-West+Che ... agram_Feed
:fuckyeah:

$80K OTD for a Civic.

Do want though :disappoint:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:

$80K OTD for a Civic.

I wonder how terrible the regular civic hatch is with the CVT... Those cars are so big now that it's basically a wagon.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:09 am
D Griff wrote:

$80K OTD for a Civic.

I wonder how terrible the regular civic hatch is with the CVT... Those cars are so big now that it's basically a wagon.
I kind of like the base civic hatch with the NA (k20) motor. 158 hp of pure linear fury, and probably the most reliable thing they produce at Honda. The LX was around 23k. :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:21 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:09 am I wonder how terrible the regular civic hatch is with the CVT... Those cars are so big now that it's basically a wagon.
I kind of like the base civic hatch with the NA (k20) motor. 158 hp of pure linear fury, and probably the most reliable thing they produce at Honda. The LX was around 23k. :notbad:
I agree but it would have to be a :manuel: for me... CVT with some gutless-ish motor is a :nope:

I weirdly sort of covet some NA poverty manual hatch to be honest. I am just not a big fan of the turBRO driving experience.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:01 pm 100% here for both myself and the wife. We fucking hate trucks. I don't even want an Abarf because of the stupid high seating position. Put my ass on the floor with my feet in front of me.

Your wife is I think the only woman I've ever heard of who isn't a car enthusiasts and doesn't "prefer to sit up high"
:mindblown:

Mine is the same. She HATES CUV's/SUV's and would NEVER consider buying one. She's midsize sedan for lyfe.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:23 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:21 am

I agree but it would have to be a :manuel: for me... CVT with some gutless-ish motor is a :nope:

I weirdly sort of covet some NA poverty manual hatch to be honest. I am just not a big fan of the turBRO driving experience.
There's a manual in that lineup below the Type R/SI, I think it's a Touring.... Not exactly a poverty spec + NA option :doe: , but maybe a used one will pop up for cheap sooner or later.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29424/202 ... ghest-trim
Edit: Those interested in the newly-available manual Sport Touring should prepare to pay $28,980.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:21 am I kind of like the base civic hatch with the NA (k20) motor. 158 hp of pure linear fury, and probably the most reliable thing they produce at Honda. The LX was around 23k. :notbad:

I would only get the turbro with the CVT as it came in the "Sport" hatch trim. If :manuel: happens then an older car would likely also happen, i.e. my favored Celica.

Dunno. An older thing in general seems to make some sense because I hate wide cars and almost everything newer is wide.

Apparently there was a GXP version of the Pontiac Torrent for example... 264 hp V6 with 6AT, lowered an inch, "sport" suspension, cloth "sport" seats, and forged :ramz: from the factory. That might be an amusing cheap appliance.
ChrisoftheNorth

:dat:

I don't really miss my Jeeps at all.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:52 am
D Griff wrote:

I would only get the turbro with the CVT as it came in the "Sport" hatch trim. If :manuel: happens then an older car would likely also happen, i.e. my favored Celica.

Dunno. An older thing in general seems to make some sense because I hate wide cars and almost everything newer is wide.

Apparently there was a GXP version of the Pontiac Torrent for example... 264 hp V6 with 6AT, lowered an inch, "sport" suspension, cloth "sport" seats, and forged :ramz: from the factory. That might be an amusing cheap appliance.
Upright seating position :doe:

They are indeed :neat: HHR SS is another interesting one. Could even be had with Brembros and an LSD.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Wow, I had never heard of a Pontiac Torrent in my life until this moment. Looks hideous.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:52 am I would only get the turbro with the CVT as it came in the "Sport" hatch trim. If :manuel: happens then an older car would likely also happen, i.e. my favored Celica.

Upright seating position :doe:

They are indeed :neat: HHR SS is another interesting one. Could even be had with Brembros and an LSD.
I hate the seating and visibility in the HHR, that thing is an abomination. There is no way to comfortably drive one.

I'm pretty much not going to like anything, due to some combination of size/ergonomics/cost/practicality.
troyguitar

The funny thing is that with every car getting soooo big and heavy and numb and nannied with tiny windows and trunk openings, I am actually kind of interested in the old 2005-10 Mustang GT... They look pretty badass now. 300 hp on 87, 3500 lbs, and almost the exact same size as a new 3 series. The 5-speed auto was introduced in 2005 and is geared nicely from the factory for acceleration in 1-2-3 and fuel economy in 4-5.

No hatch :doe: because :thanksobama:
Johnny_P

That automatic blows tho