:wrong: Soviet car reviews

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:28 pm I get that I had the base... but Camry is also not a "cheap" car IMO. A cheap car is a yaris or even corolla.
A 20k COROLLA LE has Keyless/Bush button and safety sense standard. For 5k more you should get MORE. That's my point.

16-in. wheels
Color-keyed power outside mirrors
Automatic climate control
Premium fabric-trimmed seats
Remote keyless entry system
Available Smart Key System 181 with Push Button Start
Audio—includes 8-in. touchscreen
Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 (TSS 2.0) 174
Android Auto™ 73 & Apple CarPlay® 56 & Amazon Alexa 147 compatibility
Yea, I honestly can't make sense of that feature planning either. All I can figure is it's a rental special with cost being the primary driver for features. But it costs money to develop and implement a physical key, or door handles without antennas, etc for just one vehicle, so it's even more perplexing why it exists like that. Especially since it doesn't line up with lesser vehicles.

I remember when I was looking at the 4R, the salesdude claimed that Toyota had switched all models to keyless and pushbutton...claiming the 4R was the last to get it last year. He was clearly wrong, but is more evidence that Toyota has little intention of selling these to retail customers.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Material/interior in question.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:22 pm Image

Material/interior in question.
Interesting... They don't sell that here.

Lowest trim here, and what they sold me:

Man that's really decontented.
max225

Which is what I am saying :mahtroy: You're look nice! But I think that's the "SE" trim here.
max225

Power driver/ :manuel: passenger seat. Which IMO is fine, but I am not sure why they bother with power driver.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Did it have :manuel: windows?
max225

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:17 pm Did it have :manuel: windows?
No. It had
Auto headlights
Power windows
Power doors
Power drivers seat
power mirrors
remote door locks ?!
auto climate which I found incredibly pointless, but I did so on the Taco as well

But it had a rubber shift knob, rubber wheel, no start button, fairly basic interior with cloth everything and cheap plastics all around.
I think the dash was semi soft touch.

Frankly it did everything I needed it to do, and I wasn't suffering, it was a great freeway cruiser IMO. And I praised the suspension quite a bit in my write up. And I really am standing behind that.

Right after... we got taken back home in a brand new Jetta. And that thing RODE LIKE A PIECE OF SHIT compared to the Camry. Toyota does ride quality REALLY well.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Man that Camry looks none too presidential.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I have actually TWICE gotten into a Camry at the 'Emerald Isle' recently, started it up, plugged in my phone... oh, no CarPlay. Get back out, get in another car. The Corolla we rented when we got stranded in St. Petersburg also didn't have it. Surely it costs nothing, :notsure: why it's an option on any car. Ferrari allegedly charges $4500 for it or something though :lolol:

When I'm driving all over a city I really don't know, integrating Google Maps is pretty key.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:52 am I have actually TWICE gotten into a Camry at the 'Emerald Isle' recently, started it up, plugged in my phone... oh, no CarPlay. Get back out, get in another car. The Corolla we rented when we got stranded in St. Petersburg also didn't have it. Surely it costs nothing, :notsure: why it's an option on any car. Ferrari allegedly charges $4500 for it or something though :lolol:

When I'm driving all over a city I really don't know, integrating Google Maps is pretty key.
Oh interesting … I figured my wire was borked …
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:52 am I have actually TWICE gotten into a Camry at the 'Emerald Isle' recently, started it up, plugged in my phone... oh, no CarPlay. Get back out, get in another car. The Corolla we rented when we got stranded in St. Petersburg also didn't have it. Surely it costs nothing, :notsure: why it's an option on any car. Ferrari allegedly charges $4500 for it or something though :lolol:

I bet it's a request from the rental companies to disable the AA/Carplay functionality so they can upsell Navi units. There is no difference in the vehicle, it's in the infotainment unit.

According to Toyota's website, the base Camry AND the base Corolla come with AA/Carplay integration.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

OR...I know in the 4R, you need to enable AA/Carplay in infotainment settings. The :dillerman: dude turned it on for us at delivery. It might just be disabled by default in the rental cars, and nobody knows to turn them on.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:12 pm OR...I know in the 4R, you need to enable AA/Carplay in infotainment settings. The :dillerman: dude turned it on for us at delivery. It might just be disabled by default in the rental cars, and nobody knows to turn them on.
Weird... likely that. All of the other cars I've rented from National (Hyundais, Mehstang, etc.) have had it, just plug in and go.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:12 pm OR...I know in the 4R, you need to enable AA/Carplay in infotainment settings. The :dillerman: dude turned it on for us at delivery. It might just be disabled by default in the rental cars, and nobody knows to turn them on.
Weird... likely that. All of the other cars I've rented from National (Hyundais, Mehstang, etc.) have had it, just plug in and go.
Yep same with the camero convertible I had.
ChrisoftheNorth

Would be interesting if the next time you get in one that doesn't seem to have it if you could go in settings and turn it on.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:34 pm

Would be interesting if the next time you get in one that doesn't seem to have it if you could go in settings and turn it on.
I'll try to find it. I've never heard of having to turn it on, so had no idea to look. That said, hopefully there will be more interesting choices than a Cammie, I should get bumped up to the :facy: tier soon. Last trip in Houston they had a 370Z and some Mercs/BMWs over there, can't really imagine grabbing the KEY to a Cammie when those are an option.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

LE gets shittier interior than the higher trim models. It’s a cost saver model which is why it had the plastic steering wheel and hub caps. Was evident in the Rav4 as well, super shit interior in base model of that.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:00 pm LE gets shittier interior than the higher trim models. It’s a cost saver model which is why it had the plastic steering wheel and hub caps. Was evident in the Rav4 as well, super shit interior in base model of that.
Alloys :bruh: thing was stylin
max225

So I got a brand new X3 as a rental. And I like it way more than I should.

My buddy has the i6 version which with the m sport bullshit pack and it’s useless. This is the way to go.

+great space for 4 people
+averaging 29mpg at 105F weather with 4 people and a dog
+great headlights
+ Johnny P approved pothole handling … seriously some of the best riding cars I experienced
+ non dead steering
+ great dash + decent infotainment
+ great moonroof
+ base ?! Stereo sounds good
+ great engine trans combo, just enough power and great efficiency

-looks like every other jelly belly
-auto trunk is useless and frequently has mind of its own … I hate this feature
-blender engine noises

Overall this a non shit rav4/honderp. Great car for a side piece/wife
4/7 … if this had better styling I’d be all about it.

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Great to see you enjoy a rental. It adds alot to the vacay
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:32 pm Great to see you enjoy a rental. It adds alot to the vacay
This is my fav part of trip so far …
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:34 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:32 pm Great to see you enjoy a rental. It adds alot to the vacay
Where did this X3 take y'all?
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:28 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:34 pm

Long Beach … Beverly Hills tomorrow … so mostly la
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I could go for another LA visit
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:37 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:28 pm

Long Beach … Beverly Hills tomorrow … so mostly la
Go to Venice beach, let the tent dwellers sleep in the Cush interior
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.