:wrong: Soviet car reviews

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

What's funny is that the Corvette C5-7 have a huge immensely usable hatch and even the C8 seems to have pretty adequate cargo space. I guess the only real reason to go Bromaro over 'vette is if you have to buy new so the price is within reach, or you have forward facing small kids.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:55 am What's funny is that the Corvette C5-7 have a huge immensely usable hatch and even the C8 seems to have pretty adequate cargo space. I guess the only real reason to go Bromaro over 'vette is if you have to buy new so the price is within reach, or you have forward facing small kids.
Last I checked you can't get a corvette for 36k MSRP.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:00 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:55 am What's funny is that the Corvette C5-7 have a huge immensely usable hatch and even the C8 seems to have pretty adequate cargo space. I guess the only real reason to go Bromaro over 'vette is if you have to buy new so the price is within reach, or you have forward facing small kids.
He said that.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:27 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:00 pm

He said that.
:dat:

You can (or could before 2021) get a really nice, low mileage Corvette used for not much. In fact, considering condition/mileage is almost always way better/lower on used Corvettes versus Camaro, they may even be cheaper like for like.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:08 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:27 pm

He said that.

You can (or could before 2021) get a really nice, low mileage Corvette used for not much. In fact, considering condition/mileage is almost always way better/lower on used Corvettes versus Camaro, they may even be cheaper like for like.
The only recent Camaro I would consider over a Corvette is the gen 1 Z28 and those are pretty much unobtanium.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:17 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:08 pm

The only recent Camaro I would consider over a Corvette is the gen 1 Z28 and those are pretty much unobtanium.
I got pretty intrigued with them when I started doing track days... they are fucking fast as hell, typically the fastest street cars out there if the driver has any competence whatsoever. But the ones you want are really high in price, at which point I think I'd still rather have a C7Z or Porsche or something.
max225

I dunno I think ordering a new Camaro 1LE for 36k is an epic deal.

What's a used corvette for 36k look like?

Also new vs used comparo is always :gay: it is not a level playing field.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/d/ ... 24044.html

100k mile C7?!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:25 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:17 pm

I got pretty intrigued with them when I started doing track days... they are fucking fast as hell, typically the fastest street cars out there if the driver has any competence whatsoever. But the ones you want are really high in price, at which point I think I'd still rather have a C7Z or Porsche or something.
Yeah they are cars for guys with 5 car garages with an empty space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:28 pm I dunno I think ordering a new Camaro 1LE for 36k is an epic deal.

100k mile C7?!
The V8 1LE is over $40k, but early 2019 they had almost $10k on the hood. I agree I'd take one over the Z28
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:25 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:28 pm I dunno I think ordering a new Camaro 1LE for 36k is an epic deal.

100k mile C7?!
The V8 1LE is over $40k, but early 2019 they had almost $10k on the hood. I agree I'd take one over the Z28

Am I missing something ? Even has upgraded wheels color and bose
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:48 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:25 pm

The Camaro SS starts at $38k, and the 1LE package is $7,000.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:08 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:48 pm

Ah yes i meant 1LT. Not sure what the point of another 11k is on top of the base package
max225

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:12 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:08 pm

Ah yes i meant 1LT. Not sure what the point of another 11k is on top of the base package
20-inch Satin Graphite forged-aluminum wheels
285/30ZR20 front and 305/30ZR20 rear Goodyear Eagle® F1 SuperCar® summer-only tires†
Satin Black hood wrap and Black front splitter
Unique Satin Black 3-piece rear blade spoiler
Sueded microfiber-wrapped, flat-bottom steering wheel with short-throw shifter
RECARO® performance front bucket seats
Jet Black interior
PERFORMANCE
6.2L LT1 V8 rated at 455 horsepower, paired with a 6-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching
Available 10-speed automatic transmission
Magnetic Ride Control™
Electronic Limited-Slip Differential with 3.73 ratio
Brembo® brakes with Red 6-piston monobloc front calipers, 4-piston rear calipers and 2-piece rotors
Available new Performance copper-free brake system
Track Cooling Package with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
Dual-mode performance exhaust system
Available Performance Data Recorder

Plus GM warranties the 1LE cars for track use.
max225

Got the server error again :disgust:
max225

One I posted has lsd + fixed calipers but 4 pot vs 6. Seems like diminishing returns above that
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:51 pm Image

One of the worlds most useless trunks
My :poorvette: vert had a lot more trunk space.

Also, interesting :fax: , they used to build the 'Maro in Canada, and pulled production to make it more American.

They continued to build trucks, but that was pulled in 2019 and sadly the lights were turned off for good. Or so we thought, I guess the .gov threw enough cash at it and they're starting to build :truk: again. 1200 new robots populate assembly lines and the first Silverado came off the line this month.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

100k mile C7?!
I mean it's more used versus used in my case. The sick track ready Camaros (I can never remember all the different trims and what they mean) used are like $45-70K... at that point you can also get a sick used 'vette that is a better car IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

And if you actually track the car those types of upgrades are well worth it in a turn key, warrantied, factory guaranteed package.

I spent thousands of dollars on seats, wheels/tires, brakes, and cooling for my Corvette to make it really be a decent track car. It's pretty cool you can just buy one that way from GM and if you're going to the track5-10+ times per year you'd spend that $11K on upgrades that probably wouldn't be as good.
max225

So I spent 1000 miles in a 2022 Camry LE. It was a mostly uneventful experience as expected.
I actually got fk'ed at "Presidents club" <<which is a joke btw, at Whorelando. So this is as good of a car as I could have gotten.... the positive was... it only had 500 miles on it... and a new car smell.

So I trippled the miles on the vehicle. :fuckyeah:

Cliffs
+Ergonomics
+Suspension
+Highway manners
+EPIC mpg
+Decent headlights (LEDs)

-Completely decontented... worse equipped than a Corolla from 2 years ago.
-Transmission programming is a JOKE, same as my Tacoma.. matter of fact a lot of similarities
-Engine is a blender
-Slow as balls (slower than the TSX for ex)
-Infotainment shat a brick (had to hold both main knobs to force a reset)
-Shitty turning circle for a car this size
-Front bumper will get torn off over curbs
-Rubber steering wheel

So lets talk about it real quick... Feature content:
Adaptive Cruise - Works good
Self steer crap - Works good but it is low key terrifying because unlike a tesla its hard to understand what the car is seeing/doing as it provides 0 feedback
NO START BUTTON START
NO KEYLESS
NO BLINDSPOT (I thought all this was standard in prior years :wtf:)
NO CarPlay?! or maybe my wire broke... it charged the phone but I couldn't get CarPlay to work:
Backup camera
That's it... the rest of this car is straight from 1995 which is fine I suppose... but it should have had blindspot.

Driving dynamics:
Well I'll try to be objective here. I think this is a great appliance for grandparents or the likes.
The suspension is actually a HUGE sweet spot IMO. It is the perfect balance of comfort and compliance. I think I actually prefer it to a model S with a fancy air suspension. Mainly due to weight and rebound characteristics. Car handles bad roads (of which there are none) in florida excellently. It was my favorite part of the car.

Transmission is shit- This just seems like a Toyota issue... it takes a full 2 second to DOWNSHIFT. 1 Mississippi 2 mississippi before the blender noises start... :wtf: And it is also clunky at mid range speeds (20-40mph), causing some sort of head bobbing issue due to gear hunting?!
Engine-Other than being at 1800 at 80mph I can't find much else good to say here... It is quiet and smooth at idle and it runs of 87 so yay.

MPG:
I got 34.5MPG on my first tank... yes AVERAGE. Going 85ish on the freeway etc.
I got 32MPG on my second tank yes AVERAGE. This one included a bit of idling... and city driving.
Yes the advertised 39mpg highway is possible especially if you drive like a cuck. Matter of fact I am not sure I would hybrid if I did highway only... I doubt the hybrid gets better true highway mpg (regardless of what toyotas "rating" says). I could have easily gotten 40-44 when driving 60ish. which is impressive.

So overall:
If someone wanted an appliance... I think this is fine. But I would never in a million years call this car sporty or even have a hint of "sport", that's clearly not how it was designed. I think TRD or whatever versions of this car are complete :fullretard: lipstick on a pig. This car's suspension is 5/7 toyota really nailed it.

I wish toyota used better quality materials inside.. The center dash screen is really low res... the seats seemed really cheap etc. It felt CHEAP... cheaper than my 2011 TDI, which had better interior materials, plastics, seat cushions etc. I understand that a lot of my complaints are due to the "spec" but this is a CAMRY not a YARIS. It should have a leather wheel, keyless, blindspot standard.

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:25 pm So I spent 1000 miles in a 2022 Camry LE. It was a mostly uneventful experience as expected.
I actually got fk'ed at "Presidents club" <<which is a joke btw, at Whorelando. So this is as good of a car as I could have gotten.... the positive was... it only had 500 miles on it... and a new car smell.

Cliffs
+Ergonomics
+Suspension
+Highway manners
+EPIC mpg

-Transmission programming is a JOKE, same as my Tacoma.. matter of fact a lot of similarities
-Engine is a blender
-Rubber steering wheel

Self steer crap - Works good but it is low key terrifying because unlike a tesla its hard to understand what the car is seeing/doing as it provides 0 feedback
NO START BUTTON START
NO KEYLESS
NO CarPlay?! or maybe my wire broke... it charged the phone but I couldn't get CarPlay to work:
Backup camera
That's it... the rest of this car is straight from 1995 which is fine I suppose... but it should have had blindspot.

Driving dynamics:
Well I'll try to be objective here. I think this is a great appliance for grandparents or the likes.
The suspension is actually a HUGE sweet spot IMO. It is the perfect balance of comfort and compliance. I think I actually prefer it to a model S with a fancy air suspension. Mainly due to weight and rebound characteristics. Car handles bad roads (of which there are none) in florida excellently. It was my favorite part of the car.

Transmission is shit- This just seems like a Toyota issue... it takes a full 2 second to DOWNSHIFT. 1 Mississippi 2 mississippi before the blender noises start... :wtf: And it is also clunky at mid range speeds (20-40mph), causing some sort of head bobbing issue due to gear hunting?!
Engine-Other than being at 1800 at 80mph I can't find much else good to say here... It is quiet and smooth at idle and it runs of 87 so yay.

MPG:
I got 32MPG on my second tank yes AVERAGE. This one included a bit of idling... and city driving.
Yes the advertised 39mpg highway is possible especially if you drive like a cuck. Matter of fact I am not sure I would hybrid if I did highway only... I doubt the hybrid gets better true highway mpg (regardless of what toyotas "rating" says). I could have easily gotten 40-44 when driving 60ish. which is impressive.

So overall:
If someone wanted an appliance... I think this is fine. But I would never in a million years call this car sporty or even have a hint of "sport", that's clearly not how it was designed. I think TRD or whatever versions of this car are complete :fullretard: lipstick on a pig. This car's suspension is 5/7 toyota really nailed it.

I wish toyota used better quality materials inside.. The center dash screen is really low res... the seats seemed really cheap etc. It felt CHEAP... cheaper than my 2011 TDI, which had better interior materials, plastics, seat cushions etc. I understand that a lot of my complaints are due to the "spec" but this is a CAMRY not a YARIS. It should have a leather wheel, keyless, blindspot standard.

You drove the bare bones spec. $25k for a midsize car. That's cheap, and things have to be cut to get to that pricepoint. Looking online, one trim up gets you all the stuff you missed, which for 1,500 more seems like a steal. More than likely, the base car is only sold to rental fleets, I imagine any consumer retail vehicle would be an SE+.

Which is dumb AF. Rental fleets should be viewed as a marketing opportunity. Many people are driving these things for the first time, and first impressions always matter. Giving them some barebones POS doesn't do ANY favors other than keeping Rental fleet vehicles as low cost as possible.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

I get that I had the base... but Camry is also not a "cheap" car IMO. A cheap car is a yaris or even corolla.
A 20k COROLLA LE has Keyless/Bush button and safety sense standard. For 5k more you should get MORE. That's my point.

16-in. wheels
Color-keyed power outside mirrors
Automatic climate control
Premium fabric-trimmed seats
Remote keyless entry system
Available Smart Key System 181 with Push Button Start
Audio—includes 8-in. touchscreen
Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 (TSS 2.0) 174
Android Auto™ 73 & Apple CarPlay® 56 & Amazon Alexa 147 compatibility
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:25 pm So I spent 1000 miles in a 2022 Camry LE. It was a mostly uneventful experience as expected.

Cliffs
+Ergonomics
+Suspension
+Highway manners
+EPIC mpg

-Engine is a blender
-Rubber steering wheel

NO START BUTTON START
NO KEYLESS
Backup camera

Driving dynamics:

MPG:

So overall:

I love the review, all your reviews really, thanks broseph!

Things I agree with:
Basically everything
Oceans of cheap plastics, thats why it doesn't make sense to me to consider the highest trim on a car like this.

Things i disagree with (no pride here I promise):
1. Poverty seats: love how they feel on my ass :iono:
2. The 'not sure I would hybrid if I did highway only' comment, and here's why:
A) It eliminates the transmission
B) reduces sewing machine sounds by a large margin
C) adds low and mid range power and silky smooth/composed dyamics all the time
D) it's only like $1500 more..

Agree with Detroit on the SE+ statement as well.

The suspension tuning is really good! SE has some sport change, but I can't determine if it's even noticeable. 18" wheels likely give the car less sidewall flex.
max225

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:47 pm

Cliffs
+Ergonomics
+Suspension
+Highway manners
+EPIC mpg

-Engine is a blender
-Rubber steering wheel

NO START BUTTON START
NO KEYLESS
Backup camera

Driving dynamics:

MPG:

So overall:

I love the review, all your reviews really, thanks broseph!

Things I agree with:
Basically everything
Oceans of cheap plastics, thats why it doesn't make sense to me to consider the highest trim on a car like this.

Things i disagree with (no pride here I promise):
1. Poverty seats: love how they feel on my ass :iono:
2. The 'not sure I would hybrid if I did highway only' comment, and here's why:
A) It eliminates the transmission
B) reduces sewing machine sounds by a large margin
C) adds low and mid range power and silky smooth/composed dyamics all the time
D) it's only like $1500 more..

Agree with Detroit on the SE+ statement as well.

The suspension tuning is really good! SE has some sport change, but I can't determine if it's even noticeable. 18" wheels likely give the car less sidewall flex.
Yea for sure my main complaints about the de content were not to the Camry itself more so that these things should be standard on a Camry. I know they are all available. Hell my Tacoma had every feature I didn’t have in the Camry.

The seats themselves were fine the material on the le just seemed cheap. I think they use better stuff on se.

Btw what kind of true mpg do you get on freeway only. Say 150-200 mile drive with no brake applications. I would think it can’t possibly be better than just ice ? Or am I thinking about it :wrong: ?

That’s my main comment around that … I think I would get the hybrid too if there is any city driving … but this 2.5 Ice felt like it would do 300k miles with nothing but tires and oil changes … clearly Toyota makes the best hybrids but sometimes you can’t beat utter simplicity. So say your job has you getting up and going 100 miles one way on the freeway. And then back … I’d probably get Ice.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:19 pm
The seats themselves were fine the material on the le just seemed cheap. I think they use better stuff on se.

Btw what kind of true mpg do you get on freeway only. Say 150-200 mile drive with no brake applications. I would think it can’t possibly be better than just ice ? Or am I thinking about it :wrong: ?
I didn't know that the USA spec LE has lower spec seat fabric. F*ck that spec, it shouldn't even exist.

True MPG in the condition you refer to is probably 2-3 MPG better then the sewing machine powertrain at least in these near freezing temps. Thing is, FE disparity improves greatly when there's any amount of bumper to bumper traffic, or around town driving, and that's a part of my driving experience even though I mainly drive highway, little braking. The GUI shows some electrical input during certain throttle applications, and regen when off the gas peddal even for a moment, whatever 2-3 mpgs are worth I guess.

I just think the remainder of that $1500 shows up in the overall refinement of the car. Buyers of these appliances should fork out for the hybrid just to smooth things out and reduce the clamoring from the 2.5 and horribly tuned 6 spd. I heard that from people who own hybrid ravs and shit, and can attest to that notion now that in living with it for a short while.