Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:18 am
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:56 am

That is the frustration though… most places that are comparable cost the same or more.

Yes I’m aware I can go and buy a 200k track home in BFE Texas but I got a kid to raise and I don’t want to die within 5 min of being outside for 100 days of “ summer “ so that ain’t happening.
from the pics / description of your home, you could pick a plethora of nice places medium size cities in 'flyover country' of the midwest / south in a similar size home and easily live on 8k a month. Hell, even with inflated home prices my area has faced, its hella doable. We are able to cover bills on my income alone (~7k month after taxes but not including health insurance). I did get my home before prices really took of tho, but its also triple the size of your CA suburbia paradise. Ideally with interest rates as they are at the moment you would own your housing outright to 'retire' on a fixed income; otherwise you are pissing money away.
I don't care for size of the house. My 2k square feet where I am currently residing are completely fine. The fuck am I going to do with 6k square feet? Store a bunch of trash/junk I don't need? nah .. I am looking for 2000-2800sq feet tops. And I am acutely aware that I don't need to be spending 15k a month to live... so hence the search for something more reasonable

I wouldn't be purchasing a home with a mortgage if I am in BFE so interest rates are pretty irrelevant to me at this point. Here are my priorities.

1. Prop Taxes, as you don't own anything in this country and you're renting from the gov this needs to be kept in check. My current $1500 a month for that is just lunacy.
2. Utility/Power/Insurance at reasonable rates
3. Access to a major airport within 1 hr drive. No not a regional airport. Something with direct flights to NY/Florida/International
4. Decent climate, I am ok with winter but I am not ok with Texas summers
5. Good education facilities accessible
6. Some sort of nature/something geologically interesting
7. Low crime/no homeless
8. Some cultural diversity.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:26 am

from the pics / description of your home, you could pick a plethora of nice places medium size cities in 'flyover country' of the midwest / south in a similar size home and easily live on 8k a month. Hell, even with inflated home prices my area has faced, its hella doable. We are able to cover bills on my income alone (~7k month after taxes but not including health insurance). I did get my home before prices really took of tho, but its also triple the size of your CA suburbia paradise. Ideally with interest rates as they are at the moment you would own your housing outright to 'retire' on a fixed income; otherwise you are pissing money away.
I don't care for size of the house. My 2k square feet where I am currently residing are completely fine. The fuck am I going to do with 6k square feet? Store a bunch of trash/junk I don't need? nah .. I am looking for 2000-2800sq feet tops.

I wouldn't be purchasing a home with a mortgage if I am in BFE so interest rates are pretty irrelevant to me at this point. Here are my priorities.

1. Prop Taxes, as you don't own anything in this country and you're renting from the gov this needs to be kept in check. My current $1500 a month for that is just lunacy.
3. Access to a major airport within 1 hr drive. No not a regional airport. Something with direct flights to NY/Florida/International
7. Low crime/no homeless
North Carolina is calling your name!
max225

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:28 am

I don't care for size of the house. My 2k square feet where I am currently residing are completely fine. The fuck am I going to do with 6k square feet? Store a bunch of trash/junk I don't need? nah .. I am looking for 2000-2800sq feet tops.

7. Low crime/no homeless
https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/661 ... e/44144477

Something like that wouldn't be terrible.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:31 am

:doit:
max225

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:33 am

:doit:
Yep... plan is to :doit: within the next 1-3 years. I need to visit first before committing
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

I don't care for size of the house. My 2k square feet where I am currently residing are completely fine. The fuck am I going to do with 6k square feet? Store a bunch of trash/junk I don't need? nah .. I am looking for 2000-2800sq feet tops. And I am acutely aware that I don't need to be spending 15k a month to live... so hence the search for something more reasonable

7. Low crime/no homeless
yea. so when you moving to Appalachia? The only thing you are giving up is #3. ATL is 1.5 hours drive even in most of the atl burbs. I am not familiar with TYS flight schedule but i do know they have direct flights to houston, DC, ATL, and detroit. But you can always to drive to hartsfield jackson for flights to the rest of the literal world.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

To add a data point, BIL just got his offer accepted on a similarly priced house in San Antonio:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 64-2148868

CFO for a dental group, think with a raise he got recently he’s clearing about $300k/year.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:23 am

To add a data point, BIL just got his offer accepted on a similarly priced house in San Antonio:

CFO for a dental group, think with a raise he got recently he’s clearing about $300k/year.
Yea San Antonio is relatively cheap and you get a lot for your money. But I wasn’t a fan when I visited…
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:25 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:23 am

Yea San Antonio is relatively cheap and you get a lot for your money. But I wasn’t a fan when I visited…
I haven’t been out yet, but I’ve heard mixed reviews, and it sounds like it’s heavily based on what part of town you’re in. I’ll be out there visiting them for Christmas this year. So I’ll give a report in 11 months :lol:
max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:34 am
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:25 am

I haven’t been out yet, but I’ve heard mixed reviews, and it sounds like it’s heavily based on what part of town you’re in. I’ll be out there visiting them for Christmas this year. So I’ll give a report in 11 months :lol:
Keep me posted
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

San Antonio has been growing like a weed. I’d avoid it at this point.

The Carolina’s wouldn’t be bad. It’s high on my list too. If we ever decide to move from Philly region.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

7. Low crime/no homeless
:dat:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Adjacent to the Chabad Center for Jewish Life. :jimp:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:05 pm

Adjacent to the Chabad Center for Jewish Life. :jimp:
Nothing like the good ol oral circumcision …
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:21 pm San Antonio has been growing like a weed. I’d avoid it at this point.

The Carolina’s wouldn’t be bad. It’s high on my list too. If we ever decide to move from Philly region.
It’s just your average giant track town Texas city imo. The riverwalk or whatever seems fun once a year or what not and there was a cool safari style zoo nearby .. but it’s flat… hot … and quite criminally impoverished in some areas. I just can’t handle the Texas weather. … which is my main complaint
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:21 pm San Antonio has been growing like a weed. I’d avoid it at this point.

It’s just your average giant track town Texas city imo. The riverwalk or whatever seems fun once a year or what not and there was a cool safari style zoo nearby .. but it’s flat… hot … and quite criminally impoverished in some areas. I just can’t handle the Texas weather. … which is my main complaint
It’s not quite as death as Houston because the humidity is lower. But yeah it’s hot as fuck there. I agree.

What about Utah? Like Salt Lake City?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

NO TEXAS. Too hot, too humid,
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:16 pm

It’s not quite as death as Houston because the humidity is lower. But yeah it’s hot as fuck there. I agree.

I’ll look into it… it was pretty bummy when I went back in 2018? Can’t imagine it got any better. And there is the whole church thing …

Boise may be interesting too but also went through crazy plandemic price hikes also.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:19 pm

I’ll look into it… it was pretty bummy when I went back in 2018? Can’t imagine it got any better. And there is the whole church thing …

Boise may be interesting too but also went through crazy plandemic price hikes also.
I'm just going to come out and say it. You can't order alcohol without food? Because the Almighty and the Latter Day Saints disapprove? That is a just the tip of the iceberg in UT. Very, very pretty place but I would never move there unless I was a Mormon. NO
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Exception for Park City
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:23 pm

I'm just going to come out and say it. You can't order alcohol without food? Because the Almighty and the Latter Day Saints disapprove? That is a just the tip of the iceberg in UT. Very, very pretty place but I would never move there unless I was a Mormon. NO
Don’t make me report you to my higher ups.
SAWCE

I’m making the drive to Boise this weekend. Used to spend a lot of time there as a kid since most of my mom’s family lived there. I always enjoyed it. Will be interesting to get a new perspective on it as an adult now.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:47 pm

I’m making the drive to Boise this weekend. Used to spend a lot of time there as a kid since most of my mom’s family lived there. I always enjoyed it. Will be interesting to get a new perspective on it as an adult now.
Looks like you may want to report on that as well. Looking forward to that.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:46 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:23 pm

Don’t make me report you to my higher ups.
Ha. Figured you would chime in.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Exactly one mile from my childhood home!