Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Great looking sedan Max, nice acquisition!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Tar wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:57 am Great looking sedan Max, nice acquisition!
Gonna need new pics for a new page
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I used the 3M head light restorer and that thing is magic. Someone clearly did some work on these to try and bring em back at some point. But I’m very poor fashion yet I was able to get them to 99%. Fucking of course no before and after pics were taken.

It starts with 400 grit then 1000, then 2000, then polish and then a uv sealer coat.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Is this the 7 speed transmission? I drove a C350 with the 7 speed and man it was the smoothest engine / transmission combo I’ve ever driven.

What kind of MPG you currently seeing?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:18 am Is this the 7 speed transmission? I drove a C350 with the 7 speed and man it was the smoothest engine / transmission combo I’ve ever driven.

Yeah it’s the 7 speed. It is in fact the smoothest combo short of an EV. You can’t feel/hear the engine under 2k.

Mpg in “Johnny” driving will crest 30 freeway. I got 28.5 heading back from the stealer at “Cali” speeds.
75-80. City is clearly a shit show, and I haven’t put that many miles on, only took in laws to a wedding… averaged 20 in very urban mixed driving. Will update with some miles.

Also this thing has some sort of Middle East spec ac (actual option is called Something like comfort Klima) with a secondary fan in the center console so it’s blowing cubes.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:26 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:18 am Is this the 7 speed transmission? I drove a C350 with the 7 speed and man it was the smoothest engine / transmission combo I’ve ever driven.

Yeah it’s the 7 speed. It is in fact the smoothest combo short of an EV. You can’t feel/hear the engine under 2k.

Mpg in “Johnny” driving will crest 30 freeway. I got 28.5 heading back from the stealer at “Cali” speeds.
75-80. City is clearly a shit show, and I haven’t put that many miles on, only took in laws to a wedding… averaged 20 in very urban mixed driving. Will update with some miles.

Also this thing has some sort of Middle East spec ac (actual option is called Something like comfort Klima) with a secondary fan in the center console so it’s blowing cubes.
Oh wow owned by a Nigerian prince
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:45 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:26 am

It was first owned in hell on earth … i.e Scottsdale where 120f is considered “summer” so it’s hardly. Surprise.

Insurance came in at $35 a month for liability or $55 for full coverage. The delta in insurance almost pays for the gas. VS a new Ev.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:45 pm

It was first owned in hell on earth … i.e Scottsdale where 120f is considered “summer” so it’s hardly. Surprise.

Insurance came in at $35 a month for liability or $55 for full coverage. The delta in insurance almost pays for the gas. VS a new Ev.
Need
Yeah maybe I’ll look for one of these as a train station car.
max225

I realize this is a whole lotta :whocares: but I detailed the tsx and restored the headlights on it also. Long weekend has been productive

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I took my silver on black Ariyan Autobahn stormer to Raleigh and back this weekend. Cruised at 90-95mph like it was nothing. My passengers had no idea.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:10 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:09 pm

I would do Bilstein B6 or nothing. It will be firmer, but better.
High on the list but I may go oem instead …
I’ve never encountered an OEM shock as good as a Bilstein. I know you’re an OEM man and get it but shocks are definitely something where they’re built to a price and better than factory exists.

Personally I’d leave it as-is though, that’s $1k you’re never getting back and will this thing see the light of 2023 under your ownership? :plac:

Congrats on the car, looks to be in unbelievable shape, solid pickup for the job at hand.
max225

Spot the fake $23 key
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

That benz is :nice: Congrats!
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:24 am

I’ve never encountered an OEM shock as good as a Bilstein. I know you’re an OEM man and get it but shocks are definitely something where they’re built to a price and better than factory exists.

Personally I’d leave it as-is though, that’s $1k you’re never getting back and will this thing see the light of 2023 under your ownership? :plac:

Congrats on the car, looks to be in unbelievable shape, solid pickup for the job at hand.
Solid question … I am :notsure: and valid point on the billies.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:24 am

:dat: At least in monotubes....I get that the systems in Raptors and TRX's etc. are :dedong:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Maybe in super high end shit like Mcars, AMG, etc, but normal german cars use Sachs, and they just not as good as Brostein.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Trx uses bilstein
max225

Also installed a Bluetooth streaming module into the mmi port. Works well.

Wondering what the dealer will charge for an oil change and a brake fluid change 😐 any wild guesses
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:49 am Trx uses bilstein
There's a story here...

Fox charges a fortune. Genius Stellanus execs gave the edict to stop using Fox shocks and shift to something (anything) else. The Jeep planner was adamant that "there's too much brand value in Fox for customers, it would be a mistake to change from them", and refused to make the change.

The Ram dude fell in-line, despite some performance degradation from Fox to Bilstein. TRX uses the fanciest shocks Bilstein supplies to an OEM, yet subjectively the Fox equipped trucks rode better. Didn't matter, it got Bilsteins to save money. Still great shocks for the purpose, but it was more politically driven than anything else.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:01 pm Also installed a Bluetooth streaming module into the mmi port. Works well.

Wondering what the dealer will charge for an oil change and a brake fluid change 😐 any wild guesses
A simple child could change the oil in that car. Filter is on top.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:14 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:01 pm Also installed a Bluetooth streaming module into the mmi port. Works well.

I am aware. But I don’t want to deal with the brake
Fluid might as well “splurge” on an oil change.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:57 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:49 am Trx uses bilstein
There's a story here...

Fox charges a fortune. Genius Stellanus execs gave the edict to stop using Fox shocks and shift to something (anything) else. The Jeep planner was adamant that "there's too much brand value in Fox for customers, it would be a mistake to change from them", and refused to make the change.

The Ram dude fell in-line, despite some performance degradation from Fox to Bilstein. TRX uses the fanciest shocks Bilstein supplies to an OEM, yet subjectively the Fox equipped trucks rode better. Didn't matter, it got Bilsteins to save money. Still great shocks for the purpose, but it was more politically driven than anything else.
Your stories are excellent but depressing.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:57 pm
There's a story here...

Your stories are excellent but depressing.
I don’t think there is anything depressing about riding in a 800hp truck that is equipped with shocks that are worthy of an upgrade to a Mercedes’. If only I had the balls it would be in my driveway.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:16 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:14 pm

I have the Quick Jack and Motive bleeder, so that is also easy for me, but without the QJ, Eff that.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:18 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:16 pm

I have the Quick Jack and Motive bleeder, so that is also easy for me, but without the QJ, Eff that.
I looked online and it seems like it requires a specific software tool on the Benz. Did you do it without that?