The Ultimate DD

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:57 pm :wtf: is with all these sporty cars as a DD? If money is no object and I have a shitload of other fun cars, I'd be looking for the most relaxing and easy DD experience possible.

Model S for me. Or maybe a Gran Turismo.
This is why Rebel TRX. I even almost said Lincoln Aviator phev :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:07 pm
Detroit wrote::wtf: is with all these sporty cars as a DD? If money is no object and I have a shitload of other fun cars, I'd be looking for the most relaxing and easy DD experience possible.

Some of us actually like cars.
So do I. But if I already have a Cayman GT4, a Charger Hellcat, a Ram TRX, a Can Am X3, and a 69 Mustang Boss 302, I want the most relaxing and easy to drive DD possible. I can get my kicks whenever I want when it's fun.

I guess I misunderstood the point of the thread.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:57 pm :wtf: is with all these sporty cars as a DD? If money is no object and I have a shitload of other fun cars, I'd be looking for the most relaxing and easy DD experience possible.

Both are too big to DD IMO. I'd want something just a tad smaller. I also don't think I'd want a truck or crossover as DD. Just a cushy car that's quiet, fast, and easy to drive.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Gorf could use better fuel economy and a bigger trunk, besides that it is ideal.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:41 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:28 pm

Both are too big to DD IMO. I'd want something just a tad smaller. I also don't think I'd want a truck or crossover as DD. Just a cushy car that's quiet, fast, and easy to drive.
Gotcha I'm spoiled by rural/suburban house+jerb and my commute is 12mi down the same two lane road.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:woodplow: a V60 Polestar with the previous generation drivetrain in the very snazzy blue they offered.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:07 pm Some of us actually like cars.
So do I. But if I already have a Cayman GT4, a Charger Hellcat, a Ram TRX, a Can Am X3, and a 69 Mustang Boss 302, I want the most relaxing and easy to drive DD possible. I can get my kicks whenever I want when it's fun.

If a racetrack is the only time that you actually like cars, then you have understood and replied to the thread as intended. Griff and I can't fathom choosing to drive a boring thing over a fun thing, regardless of the (realistic) setting.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:00 pm
Detroit wrote: So do I. But if I already have a Cayman GT4, a Charger Hellcat, a Ram TRX, a Can Am X3, and a 69 Mustang Boss 302, I want the most relaxing and easy to drive DD possible. I can get my kicks whenever I want when it's fun.

If a racetrack is the only time that you actually like cars, then you have understood and replied to the thread as intended. Griff and I can't fathom choosing to drive a boring thing over a fun thing, regardless of the (realistic) setting.
There's zero fun to be had on public roads. Sitting in stop and go traffic on the surface of the moon isn't improved by a fucking GT3-RS.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:37 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:54 pm :woodplow: a V60 Polestar with the previous generation drivetrain in the very snazzy blue they offered.
I'm taking the Polestar at work home tonight. :notsure:

Good thing it's black and the front rotors are $600 each.
:yikes:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Because I just like sporty cars? Model S is boring AF. I enjoy going through the gears, hearing cool sounds, good steering, etc. every time I drive. All out power/grip are less important in a DD for me. I actually think an 86/S2000/ND would be pretty cool as a DD. Small for parking, fun shifting/steering, look cool, top down/windows down for nice days. I sit in a cube all day, don't really need my pod to be isolated from the elements when it's nice.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:37 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:54 pm :woodplow: a V60 Polestar with the previous generation drivetrain in the very snazzy blue they offered.
I'm taking the Polestar at work home tonight. :notsure:

Good thing it's black and the front rotors are $600 each.
Yeah the blue one on your lot would be dangerous.

In4deets
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:32 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:07 pm Some of us actually like cars.

I guess my point is if you could drive whatever you want within reason on the weekends, what would you drive the other five days? It seems many here actually prerfer pickups :mindblown: I always thought they were a necessary evil because people needed them for reasons. I spend more time driving to work than anything else, so I want to enjoy that drive as much as I can.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:00 pm If a racetrack is the only time that you actually like cars, then you have understood and replied to the thread as intended. Griff and I can't fathom choosing to drive a boring thing over a fun thing, regardless of the (realistic) setting.
There's zero fun to be had on public roads. Sitting in stop and go traffic on the surface of the moon isn't improved by a fucking GT3-RS.
I could listen to an LFA every day and enjoy the hell out of it even if I never left the neighborhood. :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:13 pm
Detroit wrote: There's zero fun to be had on public roads. Sitting in stop and go traffic on the surface of the moon isn't improved by a fucking GT3-RS.
I could listen to an LFA every day and enjoy the hell out of it even if I never left the neighborhood. :iono:
:dat:

This is the main reason why so many mornings I hop in the C5 even though the BMW is way more comfortable, the C5 sounds cool.

This is also why I purchased a damn $800 exhaust for the BMW and was mad that it made the whole car sound like ass inside, all of which led to :plac:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Because I just like sporty cars? Model S is boring AF. I enjoy going through the gears, hearing cool sounds, good steering, etc. every time I drive. All out power/grip are less important in a DD for me. I actually think an 86/S2000/ND would be pretty cool as a DD. Small for parking, fun shifting/steering, look cool, top down/windows down for nice days. I sit in a cube all day, don't really need my pod to be isolated from the elements when it's nice.
Completely depends on your commute.

I live in an urban environment and work on the outskirts of said environment. 90% of my commute is along a 45mph divided boulevard full of traffic. Traffic that moves most of the time, but there's still a decent amount of traffic. The other 10% is spent in bumper-to-bumper on the highway. In the summer over half of it is under construction, and the other half is garbage. In the winter...there's not much fun period. I find that having a fun car in this is more :| than anything because I can never enjoy it. When I've DD'd my :poorvette: , I've gone weeks not revving above 4k RPM because I simply have nowhere to do it. The cam makes idling along in traffic not fun, so it's a constant feathering of the clutch and throttle to not jerk my head off. That's not fun. That's :rage: The most I enjoy about the :poorvette: is the noise the few times I can hear it and taking the top off.

So for me, in my current situation and budget, my ideal DD is a Wrangler or Gladiator with a V8 for nosie. Top off to enjoy open air, even sitting in traffic. Brub the few times I can enjoy it. :aintcare: over garbage roads.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I really like sports sedans. I think I'd be really happy with any of the M Competition cars The 2, 3 or 5. I'd look into the 2 or 3 used if a BMW weren't at odds with the business image i want to project.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Even amid GMs woes right now, I’d be hard pressed to not DD a diesel ZR2.

Probably a good reason I haven’t driven one or it would be :plac: con 2.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm I really like sports sedans. I think I'd be really happy with any of the M Competition cars The 2, 3 or 5. I'd look into the 2 or 3 used if a BMW weren't at odds with the business image i want to project.
I know someone selling a low miles, :manuel: bloo 328i M Sport. Just saying :ohmy:
Irish

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:31 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm I really like sports sedans. I think I'd be really happy with any of the M Competition cars The 2, 3 or 5. I'd look into the 2 or 3 used if a BMW weren't at odds with the business image i want to project.
I know someone selling a low miles, :manuel: bloo 328i M Sport. Just saying :ohmy:
:zing: I know....but you've kinda talked me out of it...... especially with the mystery CEL....truth is I am still too much of a hands-on, day-to-day manager of my business to rock anything with a decent badge.....sends the wrong message to both my clients and my staff. That is why my next commuter will likely be the Argh :gorf: Plus my kid is a dub :dillerman: now....
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

You can get a vanity plate when you buy mine: '< $20K '
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:36 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:31 pm

:zing: I know....but you've kinda talked me out of it...... especially with the mystery CEL....truth is I am still too much of a hands-on, day-to-day manager of my business to rock anything with a decent badge.....sends the wrong message to both my clients and my staff. That is why my next commuter will likely be the Argh :gorf: Plus my kid is a dub :dillerman: now....
I mean this is the only issue with it, they seem pretty reliable over all. The exhaust is the bigger bummer. I ordered the OBD2 BT dongle, so I'll be able to see what the :dill: with the CEL is tomorrow.
Irish

Have fun playing with your dongle mang.... :trollface:

the vanity plate professing poverty is :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:07 pm Have fun playing with your dongle mang.... :trollface:

the vanity plate professing poverty is :notbad:
:zing:
ChalupaBatman
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: 2017 rubibrocon

dubshow wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:22 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:06 am

:ohdang: I didn't realize you were having :gorf: ragrets... Tell me more, why can't you t00n?
I really do like the car. I do. Its great. I take everything I read on car forums with a solid dose of :salt: as well.

BUT, there are some unsettling things emerging as I dip my toe back into places like vwvortex to see what people are doing. I have a pretty long list of mildly modded cars and never had any terrible problems.

I fear the :gorf: is designed near limit. Which makes no sense as the mk6 platform in GTI and R could hold 400hp pretty regularly. I know over 400hp you need head studs, especially if changing the turbo.

Apparently there is a prevalent crank walk issue from any clutch with more spring force on the thrust bearing. Its an issue that has plagued numerous car brands through the years and is a sort of time bomb thing. When you tune, you will upgrade the clutch (and I was coming to peace with that). I was on board with this until I started see more of these issues described. A hack work around is disable the clutch pedal sensor and dont press clutch on cold starts. Maybe I am over thinking it? Maybe its just internet lore. Maybe its an issue that might show up in 30-80k miles down the road? :iono: But my joyful feelings of some light modding has def been soured. reading the mk7 forum on vortex had a solid role in my feels. Also a full bolt on APR guy just windowed his block on a 2018 :gorf: under 30k miles.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... lown-motor

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... 6MT-Ownerz

I have lost the desire to mod based on "rolling the dice" of luck. Also, vortex is one of the last places people arent readily censored by advertisers.
I keep telling you how to fix it. The repair is orange with bits of carbon.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ChalupaBatman wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:31 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:22 am

I really do like the car. I do. Its great. I take everything I read on car forums with a solid dose of :salt: as well.

BUT, there are some unsettling things emerging as I dip my toe back into places like vwvortex to see what people are doing. I have a pretty long list of mildly modded cars and never had any terrible problems.

I fear the :gorf: is designed near limit. Which makes no sense as the mk6 platform in GTI and R could hold 400hp pretty regularly. I know over 400hp you need head studs, especially if changing the turbo.

Apparently there is a prevalent crank walk issue from any clutch with more spring force on the thrust bearing. Its an issue that has plagued numerous car brands through the years and is a sort of time bomb thing. When you tune, you will upgrade the clutch (and I was coming to peace with that). I was on board with this until I started see more of these issues described. A hack work around is disable the clutch pedal sensor and dont press clutch on cold starts. Maybe I am over thinking it? Maybe its just internet lore. Maybe its an issue that might show up in 30-80k miles down the road? :iono: But my joyful feelings of some light modding has def been soured. reading the mk7 forum on vortex had a solid role in my feels. Also a full bolt on APR guy just windowed his block on a 2018 :gorf: under 30k miles.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... lown-motor

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... 6MT-Ownerz

I have lost the desire to mod based on "rolling the dice" of luck. Also, vortex is one of the last places people arent readily censored by advertisers.
I keep telling you how to fix it. The repair is orange with bits of carbon.
:doit: