Johnny's Great Adventure

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:32 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:20 pm

Perfect. Meet her in Nashville when you are done. You guys may be working at a 7-11, but it won't matter because of the pure nirvana that is the state of Tennessee.
:iono: why everyone on the forum is so bent on TN.

NC has bigger mountains, has a coast, lower CoL than Nashville, better weather :iono:

Nashville is great though, admittedly. I suspect that many here love TN because it's one of the few places they've actually been.
0% income tax brah.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:17 am

So another fun thing to consider that I haven't shared with the forum... Lisa is pretty done with her position. She's had enough, and she wants out. She's developing an exit strategy with her coaches (she has these coach people from an org called REDF that help her as an executive director), and she's not opposed to moving if it comes to that.

I think we're both growing tired of the city. There are aspects we love about it for sure, but we don't take advantage of the city like we used to.
Perfect. Meet her in Nashville when you are done. You guys may be working at a 7-11, but it won't matter because of the pure nirvana that is the state of Tennessee.
:notbad: suggestion and welcome to the thread, Breh
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:20 pm Perfect. Meet her in Nashville when you are done. You guys may be working at a 7-11, but it won't matter because of the pure nirvana that is the state of Tennessee.

NC has bigger mountains, has a coast, lower CoL than Nashville, better weather :iono:

Nashville is great though, admittedly. I suspect that many here love TN because it's one of the few places they've actually been.
:howdareyou:

Do you even play your banjo tax-free, boy?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:35 pm
D Griff wrote:

:howdareyou:

You're paying the tax man one way or another.

That said, I think Nashville or Charlotte are both pretty great places to live, with Charlotte being cheaper and having better weather, Nashville has more interesting culture.
Desertbreh

:gtfo: with your facts, :bruh: Getting hammered with your brahs at night and driving the Tail of the Dragon by day = Nirvana. Therefore, everyone can give up $150K combined AGI or better in all of their shithole states and be country boys and girls in the Tennessee Mountain lands.....JESUS WILL PROVIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:39 pm

:gtfo: with your facts, :bruh: Getting hammered with your brahs at night and driving the Tail of the Dragon by day = Nirvana. Therefore, everyone can give up $150K combined AGI or better in all of their shithole states and be country boys and girls in the Tennessee Mountain lands.....JESUS WILL PROVIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean, everywhere is better when you're off work.
Desertbreh

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:35 pm

:notbad: suggestion and welcome to the thread, Breh
You certainly have everybody's attention, especially the 35 year old set who feels like they have joined the system and are wondering if they can take another 25 years of the man keeping them down.
I like your concept but I'm doing it in a $150K Sprinter Van conversion. And probably staying at a few hotels during the process. Because :wap:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:42 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:39 pm

Exactly. I love visiting San Francisco, but I think it would lose 90% of its allure if I had to work there.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:33 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:30 pm

RTTs are availble for quick delivery. A friend has this one and likes it:
https://www.ikamper.com/collections/sky ... r-2-people#

I mean... throw that on a 4runner it's no different than those $10k pickup shell tent things I posted because you're not getting a kitchen or storage setup with either of them, so...
So, if you want to pull over for the night for a quick ZZz in a Wally world parking lot or something, you pitch the RTT and climb up? The inside of the SUV will be crammed with gear probably, tough to carve out a sleeping area.

I just don't see the RTT appeal. Just bring your tent along to pitch when you want to sleep in a tent. Then you can setup camp and go exploring...MTB or whatever.

Van is the answer.
Right the RTT negatives creep back in. Same would happen with a pop top pickup camper.

Best options seem to be SUV and :dealwithit: , live #vanlyfe in a Chevy/GMC AWD contractor special, or midsize pickup with a camper shell.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:35 pm :howdareyou:

That said, I think Nashville or Charlotte are both pretty great places to live, with Charlotte being cheaper and having better weather, Nashville has more interesting culture.
Total costs aren't the same :doe:

NC for example has more taxes on income and on vehicles, so if you have a good job and like cool cars you get fucked. TN has higher taxes on housing, so if you like potfiller paradise you are fucked. Most of us are in the former category and :aintcare: about having a cheap house.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:09 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:04 pm

Dude, this is huge and leave you open to ANYTHING.

:jelly:
This is a new development. Want kids. She may want to be a stay at home momma. :notbad: But I would have to make decent salary for that. Or just live in bumfuck Kentucky working as an engineer somewhere.
eh, thats a bad idea, stay at home mom life. It an outdated idea.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:38 pm

I was buying boots in Nashville because #whitecityboy and a nice older gentleman (maybe 80?) with a 10 gallon hat walked past me and kicked my Converse sneaker as far across the store as he could, said that shoe looked like a shit kicker to him and stared me down. I told him I didn't ask for his opinion and to gtfo. Fun times.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:48 pm

This is a new development. Want kids. She may want to be a stay at home momma. :notbad: But I would have to make decent salary for that. Or just live in bumfuck Kentucky working as an engineer somewhere.
Yeah she'd probably go nuts.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:42 pm

Exactly. I love visiting San Francisco, but I think it would lose 90% of its allure if I had to work there.
It was nice to visit. Getting screamed at by homeless people was a first. Can't argue with the weather though.
Desertbreh

It is unless your woman never made any money to speak of prior to that and it didn't bother you then and still doesn't bother you.
I've never been attracted to women who want to be SAHMS but I've always thought I might be happier if I did.

One thing about a chick who never works though.....if your marriage goes South you are fucked in ways you can't even imagine. All the money bitching people on this forum do are meaningless compared to a guy who just got hammered for 5 grand a month in lifetime alimony..............
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:24 pm Look at all this waste:

on a high level why teh fuck would you sleep on a ten on a roof instead of in the back of your van?
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

NC taxes suck teh donkey ballz
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:38 pm

if i move to tennessee im not targeting a big city; I want to be a half hour from wallmart.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:54 pm

It is unless your woman never made any money to speak of prior to that and it didn't bother you then and still doesn't bother you.
I've never been attracted to women who want to be SAHMS but I've always thought I might be happier if I did.

One thing about a chick who never works though.....if your marriage goes South you are fucked in ways you can't even imagine. All the money bitching people on this forum do are meaningless compared to a guy who just got hammered for 5 grand a month in lifetime alimony..............
lol i dont even make 5k a month
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:13 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:04 pm
if i move to tennessee im not targeting a big city; I want to be a half hour from wallmart.
Murrrrville.

Not far from Knoxville, not far from :stig: , real close to Walmarx, and nuclear stuff in your backyard. :neat:

Plus plenty of stuff for hiking, biking, etc right on the NC/TN border, and if you need some :tits: go to Dollyland.

:dat:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:55 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:24 pm Look at all this waste:

on a high level why teh fuck would you sleep on a ten on a roof instead of in the back of your van?
Completely defeats the purpose of a van. :fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth

It's all about mutually getting what you want out of life. The idea of kids makes me :gag: so I've always been attracted to strong independent women that feel the same way. That's what I found, and we couldn't be happier.

But I can totally see the benefit of a parent staying home with kids, especially if one makes enough to support the family comfortably in their given area. Seems as though having a parent at home can take some of the stress of kids off ASSUMING MONEY ISN'T AN ISSUE. That last part is the hardest, and where things often go sideways from what I can tell.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:19 pm

It's all about mutually getting what you want out of life. The idea of kids makes me :gag: so I've always been attracted to strong independent women that feel the same way. That's what I found, and we couldn't be happier.

But I can totally see the benefit of a parent staying home with kids, especially if one makes enough to support the family comfortably in their given area. Seems as though having a parent at home can take some of the stress of kids off ASSUMING MONEY ISN'T AN ISSUE. That last part is the hardest, and where things often go sideways from what I can tell.
This is where I think wifey and I have a decent sitch. I work full time and she has her own little pet services business. She gets to bring the kiddo with her to all of her clients houses and they walk :doge: s together.
Sure some months are more stressful than others due to cash flow, but overall it works out.
Desertbreh

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:16 pm

lol i dont even make 5k a month
But in 20 years.....