:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

SAWCE wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:41 pm

You should hit up [user not found] for info on these, he still has the :jizz: white he bought twice much like me and the village bicycle.

I think they’re super cool cars, not much out there super charged. Would be wicked fun but not the most reliable I’m sure. Zack has driven his from NJ to TN several years we’ve gone, beaten the piss out of it, driven it home, without issue. If well maintained seems fine if you’re ok with wrenching/maintenance.
I was texting with him yesterday morning about it! Everything he brought up as something to look for was something my coworker either had taken care of by the dealer they bought it from or in the work that he had done on it last year, so that gave me pretty solid peace of mind if I do go forward with the transaction.
Seconded on all of Griff's comments. If you're open to turning wrenches, I'd go for it if the maintenance history is as solid as it sounds.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:31 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:11 pm

I was texting with him yesterday morning about it! Everything he brought up as something to look for was something my coworker either had taken care of by the dealer they bought it from or in the work that he had done on it last year, so that gave me pretty solid peace of mind if I do go forward with the transaction.
What did he bring up? And what was done. Don’t just leave out 2/3 of the story here
Z’s list comprised of LCA bushings, checking strut towers for deformation (I need to ask coworker for a picture, but those can be fixed and I have found some parts to reinforce them which I’ll do as a preventative thing), checking under the door/hatch seals for rust, side motor mount, engine seals, crank sensor seal, crank seal, oil filter housing/cooler gaskets, and checking the condition of the PS lines and expansion tank. Then to make sure there’s no rattling from the timing chain or supercharger.

I’ll have to check a few things like the seals for rust, condition of PS lines, and listening to the timing chain and whatnot, but the rest sounds like it was all taken care of. Coworker is forwarding me electronic invoices from the work done last year for me to look over, and they have paper copies of the stuff the original dealership did when they bought it for me to see when I go up on Sunday.

CravenSpeed is local here in Portland and they make the reinforcement for the strut towers. Apparently BMW threw a fiberglass dipstick in these even though it bends twice going down, so those are known to crack overtime and can become lodged down there. I’ll replace that with a flexible metal one (CS makes one but it’s $$ compared to others I’ve seen). I’ll likely replace the crank pulley as my coworker said that has not been done. Might fuck around and go 15% smaller for a little more supercharger boost. New belt with the pulley regardless of if I stick with the stock size or go smaller.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Another nice thing is that the seller is your coworker. It is at least pretty safe to assume he isn’t trying to fuck you or dump a huge problem on you. I have always believed that you are buying the previous owner as much as the car when talking about a used purchase.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:44 pm Another nice thing is that the seller is your coworker. It is at least pretty safe to assume he isn’t trying to fuck you or dump a huge problem on you. I have always believed that you are buying the previous owner as much as the car when talking about a used purchase.
Absolutely. I don’t think he would fuck me over, and knowing how he is with his cars gives me some solid peace of mind.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:44 pm Another nice thing is that the seller is your coworker. It is at least pretty safe to assume he isn’t trying to fuck you or dump a huge problem on you. I have always believed that you are buying the previous owner as much as the car when talking about a used purchase.
Absolutely. I don’t think he would fuck me over, and knowing how he is with his cars gives me some solid peace of mind.
There is NO WAY you should have "peace of mind" when buying this car. Those are words associating with a Toyota Camry. But you have mitigated some of your potential damage.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:50 pm

There is NO WAY you should have "peace of mind" when buying this car. Those are words associating with a Toyota Camry. But you have mitigated some of your potential damage.
Ha. Fair.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:53 pm

Ha. Fair.
I mean, have fun with it. But it you don't have a tool chest, now is the time.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I feel like he has pretty reasonable expectations for what it will and won’t be :iono:

:sawce: has also looked at several project cars over the past few years, the R 53. Seems like a nice middle ground.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:01 pm

I feel like he has pretty reasonable expectations for what it will and won’t be :iono:

:sawce: has also looked at several project cars over the past few years, the R 53. Seems like a nice middle ground.
They are cool cars without doubt, and he certainly did his homework.
SAWCE

Tools and tool chest are on hand and wrenches are ready to turn.

We'll see how this thing looks/drives in person on Sunday and go from there one I get to look over all the invoices and make sure everything that he said was addressed was actually addressed.

Nice thing with this timing if I do buy it this weekend is that I'll have 4.5 months to sort out any issues and spend some time doing whatever work is needed before the baby gets here. Once she comes, I don't even know if I'll make it to the gym all 3 times a week that I want to, so I'll likely be driving it even less than my current 45 miles a week that I'm racking up on Michelle's car.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Well I’m curious about this. Muscle man from the PNW has his mind made up on the mini.

I’m getting the :popcorn:
max225

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:30 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:31 am
What did he bring up? And what was done. Don’t just leave out 2/3 of the story here
Z’s list comprised of LCA bushings, checking strut towers for deformation (I need to ask coworker for a picture, but those can be fixed and I have found some parts to reinforce them which I’ll do as a preventative thing), checking under the door/hatch seals for rust, side motor mount, engine seals, crank sensor seal, crank seal, oil filter housing/cooler gaskets, and checking the condition of the PS lines and expansion tank. Then to make sure there’s no rattling from the timing chain or supercharger.

I’ll have to check a few things like the seals for rust, condition of PS lines, and listening to the timing chain and whatnot, but the rest sounds like it was all taken care of. Coworker is forwarding me electronic invoices from the work done last year for me to look over, and they have paper copies of the stuff the original dealership did when they bought it for me to see when I go up on Sunday.

CravenSpeed is local here in Portland and they make the reinforcement for the strut towers. Apparently BMW threw a fiberglass dipstick in these even though it bends twice going down, so those are known to crack overtime and can become lodged down there. I’ll replace that with a flexible metal one (CS makes one but it’s $$ compared to others I’ve seen). I’ll likely replace the crank pulley as my coworker said that has not been done. Might fuck around and go 15% smaller for a little more supercharger boost. New belt with the pulley regardless of if I stick with the stock size or go smaller.
I’d love to see what was actually fixed in the last 22 years.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:01 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:30 pm

I’d love to see what was actually fixed in the last 22 years.
He just sent me some of the invoices. I’ll post them up tomorrow when I’m on a computer.. but this first one shows a new starter, brake fluid flush and replacing the master cylinder, valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket, replaced left and right intake boots and the air filter, along with some other stuff.

Pics from tonight too:

SAWCE

That was all September 2023, minus the starter which was August of 2022. Also in September of last year, the driver’s side window regulator was replaced.
SAWCE

Car came well optioned. Sport, premium, and cold weather packages.
max225

CCP Chinese communist party palates too :)
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:34 am CCP Chinese communist party palates too :)
:lol:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:04 pm Back to the cybercuck for a second. Another flipper gets burned. This one bid to $145k.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3BqbbO ... ion-series

max225

SAWCE wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:19 am That was all September 2023, minus the starter which was August of 2022. Also in September of last year, the driver’s side window regulator was replaced.
Yup… what a list ! Value of the car right there in 18 months.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:41 am
SAWCE wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:19 am That was all September 2023, minus the starter which was August of 2022. Also in September of last year, the driver’s side window regulator was replaced.
Easily.

August ‘22 invoice total $4863
September ‘23 invoice total $2898
Plus a few other smaller invoices like the window regulator.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:55 am
max225 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:41 am

Easily.

And that’s why these things are so cheap… and why we’re trying to keep you sane.

wow @ them actually paying it and fixing all that.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:21 am
SAWCE wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:55 am

Easily.

And that’s why these things are so cheap… and why we’re trying to keep you sane.

wow @ them actually paying it and fixing all that.
It’s appreciated. Nice to have you guys to bounce things off of.

Maybe all these repairs should scare me, but seeing this stuff done on a 21 year old car just makes sense to me. I’m not anticipating needing to redo all this work regularly.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:48 am Car came well optioned. Sport, premium, and cold weather packages.
It looks awesome, dude.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:00 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:48 am Car came well optioned. Sport, premium, and cold weather packages.
It looks awesome, dude.
Thanks! Hopefully it also looks awesome in person and feels good on my test drive tomorrow. I’d say at this point I’m 80% set on it, but if something seems off in person I won’t have a problem walking away. Of course I’m hoping it looks/feels amazing and that it’s something I feel comfortable taking on, but not going to force it if that isn’t the case.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:24 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:00 pm

It looks awesome, dude.
Thanks! Hopefully it also looks awesome in person and feels good on my test drive tomorrow. I’d say at this point I’m 80% set on it, but if something seems off in person I won’t have a problem walking away. Of course I’m hoping it looks/feels amazing and that it’s something I feel comfortable taking on, but not going to force it if that isn’t the case.
Also.........you're a grown ass man. You need a car. All of this sharing a car thing can suck it. And getting one that doesn't make you want to kill yourself resonates with me, and it should for you too.