:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:45 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:48 pm Yeah, 100% should have bought one of these or an STi. Bring on the hate.

https://www.diamondmotorworks.com/2005- ... c-4280.htm
Evo 8 fuuuuuck yes
I miss my big ass wing. Showed the STI to Julian today. He liked it. “Dadda’s blue car”
6 speed Evo 9 is pure “tuner” car purrfuction. That thing can embarrass Hypercars in a canyon while having a $9995 rental car interior. There is something super satisfying about that
max225

Tar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:24 pm This is the desirable upgraded Cup spec that Europe got instead of the V6TT, probably represents accurate valuation of a mint spec Ghilbi from that era.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-maserati-ghibli/

:woodplow:
I dig this… would do cocaine off the hood.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:48 pm Yeah, 100% should have bought one of these or an STi. Bring on the hate.

https://www.diamondmotorworks.com/2005- ... c-4280.htm
The Evo is an awesome car. I've always wanted one a little bit. Sorry the GR86 has been such a bad experience for you man... seems like you waited a long time, were rather disappointed with the car, now there are clearly long term reliability concerns.

At least you can get out of it very much unscathed. I'm curious if this siliconegate thing will trash the values a good bit in pretty short order. I can't imagine anyone is going to be paying over MSRP on a car that will blow up for that much longer.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:19 am The Evo is an awesome car. I've always wanted one a little bit. Sorry the GR86 has been such a bad experience for you man... seems like you waited a long time, were rather disappointed with the car, now there are clearly long term reliability concerns.

At least you can get out of it very much unscathed. I'm curious if this siliconegate thing will trash the values a good bit in pretty short order. I can't imagine anyone is going to be paying over MSRP on a car that will blow up for that much longer.
They are, although I think I'd tire of the tin can aspect of them.

Re: the 86, it figures, as soon as I start to come around on the driving aspect of it, this shit happens and my sentiment toward the car starts to spiral again. The biggest adjustment, I think, was simply going from a regular car to a true sports car. The coupe doors are longer and a PITA in tight spaces, making ingress and egress difficult in those situations, getting my son in and out of the back is an even bigger PITA, there are simply a lot of compromises going to a car like this (obviously). Then I drove a 2020 STi with an exhaust on it and it was just bliss. Easy to use as a regular car, an actual back seat for the kiddos, and just as much fizz from a driving perspective if not more, given the UEL burbles, the broader and more entertaining powerband, and better steering. The only downside on the street is the seating position, which could be fixed for <$2k with a real Recaro. On track I have no doubt the 86 would be more fun, though. And related to that, the 86 really is pretty great. It's super fun in the right conditions, it looks fantastic, and it's actually a nice daily if you need it for that. I get compliments on it all the time. I simply think it's not the best fit for my life right now.

We'll see what the Honderp :dillerman: says, hopefully they're not paying attention to siliconegate yet. My current :evilplan: is to pop for the 2023 EX-L, buy a now discontinued Cobb downpipe for the STi before they all disappear, and wait for used car prices to correct and pick up the cleanest, lowest mileage STi I can for $40k or less next year.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:15 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:19 am The Evo is an awesome car. I've always wanted one a little bit. Sorry the GR86 has been such a bad experience for you man... seems like you waited a long time, were rather disappointed with the car, now there are clearly long term reliability concerns.

Re: the 86, it figures, as soon as I start to come around on the driving aspect of it, this shit happens and my sentiment toward the car starts to spiral again. The biggest adjustment, I think, was simply going from a regular car to a true sports car. The coupe doors are longer and a PITA in tight spaces, making ingress and egress difficult in those situations, getting my son in and out of the back is an even bigger PITA, there are simply a lot of compromises going to a car like this (obviously). Then I drove a 2020 STi with an exhaust on it and it was just bliss. Easy to use as a regular car, an actual back seat for the kiddos, and just as much fizz from a driving perspective if not more, given the UEL burbles, the broader and more entertaining powerband, and better steering. The only downside on the street is the seating position, which could be fixed for <$2k with a real Recaro. On track I have no doubt the 86 would be more fun, though. And related to that, the 86 really is pretty great. It's super fun in the right conditions, it looks fantastic, and it's actually a nice daily if you need it for that. I get compliments on it all the time. I simply think it's not the best fit for my life right now.

We'll see what the Honderp :dillerman: says, hopefully they're not paying attention to siliconegate yet. My current :evilplan: is to pop for the 2023 EX-L, buy a now discontinued Cobb downpipe for the STi before they all disappear, and wait for used car prices to correct and pick up the cleanest, lowest mileage STi I can for $40k or less next year.
I agree on the tin can thing, the Evo is a literal shitbox. :notsure: I'd want to drive that daily or on road trips (which is really most of my miles/time).

Your plan seems reasonable enough to me, you seem to have really enjoyed the STi most of anything you've had and it's certainly :nice: to be able to include kiddos in your fun car stuff (and allows you to use it a lot more in your case, even if you can only transport two for now). The STi is a pretty sweet car, I've thought seriously of them a lot as well, should've just bought JP's.

I'm debating pulling the ripcord on the BRZ as well... could just wait out used car pricing and see if the market changes at all, maybe I can get something better in a year. I certainly don't mind rocking the BMW longer and given it's a fairly cheap car, there's only so far it can fall.

I just still think it will fall faster than most other stuff I would want.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:30 am I agree on the tin can thing, the Evo is a literal shitbox. :notsure: I'd want to drive that daily or on road trips (which is really most of my miles/time).

Your plan seems reasonable enough to me, you seem to have really enjoyed the STi most of anything you've had and it's certainly :nice: to be able to include kiddos in your fun car stuff (and allows you to use it a lot more in your case, even if you can only transport two for now). The STi is a pretty sweet car, I've thought seriously of them a lot as well, should've just bought JP's.

I'm debating pulling the ripcord on the BRZ as well... could just wait out used car pricing and see if the market changes at all, maybe I can get something better in a year. I certainly don't mind rocking the BMW longer and given it's a fairly cheap car, there's only so far it can fall.

Why bail now? Keeping your name on the order doesn't cost you anything, might as well wait it out and see how things shake out.

Re: my 86, if I bail now, hopefully I can capture some of that appreciation & roll it into the Odyssey, and if I ever decide I want one again, I'll just buy another one. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:35 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:30 am I agree on the tin can thing, the Evo is a literal shitbox. :notsure: I'd want to drive that daily or on road trips (which is really most of my miles/time).

Why bail now? Keeping your name on the order doesn't cost you anything, might as well wait it out and see how things shake out.

Re: my 86, if I bail now, hopefully I can capture some of that appreciation & roll it into the Odyssey, and if I ever decide I want one again, I'll just buy another one. :lol:
I'm definitely not bailing on the order now, but if I'm not 100% on the :doit: train, I think I'd like to hold the Beemah for now at least. If I dump it and decide not to get the BRZ, who knows when I'll get a car. Not an exciting proposition.

I'd say dumping yours does make some sense though, it'll put you in a better position with the Ody and hopefully that helps with future fun car acquisitions.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Man, I would just about face on any BRZ thing and get something else. Every tear down video has half a tube of caulk in the fucking oil pick up. How is that ok even if you are street driving the car? A used C6GS has a handbuilt LS3 with a forged crank and a dry sump oiling system and goes 185 mph. FFS.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:37 am Man, I would just about face on any BRZ thing and get something else. Every tear down video has half a tube of caulk in the fucking oil pick up. How is that ok even if you are street driving the car? A used C6GS has a handbuilt LS3 with a forged crank and a dry sump oiling system and goes 185 mph. FFS.
Yea, and a used C6GS is double the price these days. You get what you pay for?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:14 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:37 am Man, I would just about face on any BRZ thing and get something else. Every tear down video has half a tube of caulk in the fucking oil pick up. How is that ok even if you are street driving the car? A used C6GS has a handbuilt LS3 with a forged crank and a dry sump oiling system and goes 185 mph. FFS.
Not for long.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:14 pm
Not for long.
We'll see about that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

If only I didn't need/want a back seat. Should probably consider an E90.

Dat single hump. :megusta:

https://www.responsemotors.com/used-veh ... -4d-c-759/
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:53 pm If only I didn't need/want a back seat. Should probably consider an E90.

Is that interior blue? :megusta:

The wants for an e90 M3 are real.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:03 pm Is that interior blue? :megusta:

The wants for an e90 M3 are real.
It's silver/light grey. Wouldn't be my first choice, I don't think, but I like it.
max225

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:53 pm If only I didn't need/want a back seat. Should probably consider an E90.

The back seat is really small in these … like
Smaller than the gti/golf. Also they are very maintenance heavy and require expensive ass bearing replacement as part of “maintenance”
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Re: 86 caulkgate… it’s an easy enough fix isn’t it? Drop oil pan, clean, reassemble. I bet Toyota / Subaru come out with some sort of inspection and repair procedure for it. Or probably not very expensive to get a shop to do but then I suppose you run into the same issue with a manually applied bead.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:15 am

Yeah so this is why I bought an STI. I tested a BRZ on a whim and loved it and the STI had that same fizz but AWD and more doors.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:47 pm Re: 86 caulkgate… it’s an easy enough fix isn’t it? Drop oil pan, clean, reassemble. I bet Toyota / Subaru come out with some sort of inspection and repair procedure for it. Or probably not very expensive to get a shop to do but then I suppose you run into the same issue with a manually applied bead.
It's unclear how much RTV will continue to drop into the oil pan. Cleaning it once might just be a temp fix. I'd personally do it before every track day/auto-x, and if it started to become a wasted effort (nothing to clean), then I'd call it good.

:popcorn: If Toyobaru takes steps to address with a TSB or repair procedure.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:47 pm Re: 86 caulkgate… it’s an easy enough fix isn’t it? Drop oil pan, clean, reassemble. I bet Toyota / Subaru come out with some sort of inspection and repair procedure for it. Or probably not very expensive to get a shop to do but then I suppose you run into the same issue with a manually applied bead.
It's unclear how much RTV will continue to drop into the oil pan. Cleaning it once might just be a temp fix. I'd personally do it before every track day/auto-x, and if it started to become a wasted effort (nothing to clean), then I'd call it good.

Isn’t the oil pan gasket the source of it? I didn’t watch the vids with audio so I have no idea.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:50 pm

Isn’t the oil pan gasket the source of it? I didn’t watch the vids with audio so I have no idea.
No clue, it could be coming from anywhere in the engine that uses RTV (everywhere). Everything eventually ends up in the oil pan, so root causing this is almost impossible by anyone outside of the OEM IMO.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:54 pm

No clue, it could be coming from anywhere in the engine that uses RTV (everywhere). Everything eventually ends up in the oil pan, so root causing this is almost impossible by anyone outside of the OEM IMO.
Hah
Dump it
max225

One of the videos posted here describes the rtv and interestingly enough Subaru uses different rtvs depending on area. Most of it is the gray shit from
The pan, but some is black from other areas of the engine.

:fullretard: but I mean that’s why there is a screen there and shit happens.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:31 pm
One of the videos posted here describes the rtv and interestingly enough Subaru uses different rtvs depending on area. Most of it is the gray shit from

Until it gets clogged and :nuke: the engine which is what happened in the first case.

I don't think the screen was put there to stop sealant from getting sucked up into the engine.
Desertbreh

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:56 pm
Hah
Dump it
THANK YOU
Desertbreh

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:00 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:31 pm

Until it gets clogged and :nuke: the engine which is what happened in the first case.

I don't think the screen was put there to stop sealant from getting sucked up into the engine.
THANK YOU