:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:41 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:34 pm Elantra N, the real track worthy car
I'm kinda into this idea honestly. I haven't rocked FWD in many years, :notsure: how I feel about it.
They currently not attainable.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:40 pm

I mean I can compare them because that's the reality I'm in, it's no different than comparing a Civic Sport and an M3, we all have our unique situations and they are what they are. The BMW's what I got so it's the comparison to anything else I'm thinking about.

At this point I think I'd rather have an ND2 than a BRZ but there's many disadvantages - the wife doesn't like them really, zero CF hauling capabilities versus the option in a pinch, some track days won't allow it, more expensive new versus new.
No I totally get it. I was just saying that a new car will usually depreciate much more than a full depreciated beema. I like the beema and I think it serves a pretty unique situation, but I also see being bored with it. Unfortunately your alternatives are quite compromised. Did you take a look at the Camero i built ?
Yeah I dig it... didn't know they were that cheap. I think you're right, kind of wild that it's only $5K more than a BRZ and it's got almost 3X the engine, among other things. Pretty sure my wife hates Camaros though, so it's likely a nonstarter. I also agree with Eric normally that Corvettes are a much better car and used the same money but that's not really the case now. I think a new V8 Camaro > a 12 year old Corvette.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:43 pm

I'm kinda into this idea honestly. I haven't rocked FWD in many years, :notsure: how I feel about it.
Well, neither is a BRZ apparently :lolol: I'm on a wait list.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:38 pm

I mean, I WILL track whatever, but just not enough to justify some kind of dedicated track car, that shit gets :fullretard: very quickly. Track driving is really, really fun, but it's also very expensive and time consuming, and these both go up exponentially the more you want to partake.

I still think the BRZ offers a different experience -it's light, you can wind it out on city streets, you can dorifto wherever and get a lot of lolz. Corvettes are often 'overkill' for most scenarios in my day-to-day life, I know because I had one for almost a decade. It was still BY FAR my favorite car I've had and the most fun, so there is that. The BRZ could wind up being :disappoint:
You like slow cars on the street (Miata) so you'll like the BRZ just fine I think. It'll be way more approachable than the Vette in random scenarios and probably make it quite fun. Since you don't have a crazy commute, it'll be fine.

I've had vettes stuck in my head lately. Been thinking about a C4 until I inherit the C3. C4 would be plenty fast and fun and cheap. A base C5 is pushing the limits of fun on the street, but a C4 could be the sweet spot.
I mean, Corvettes are pretty great, I get it. Like I said, it was by far my favorite vehicle. I owned it for over seven years and like 60K miles and it depreciated $3K, took me to at least two dozen track events, only ever left me stranded due to stupid TPMS sensors blowing out air, mechanically it was far from perfect but overall quite robust, sounded amazing, passed shit on the track costing 5X as much, got attention all of the time, and was just a hoot to drive.

In the end I dumped it because it was falling apart. I love old cars but owning them is a PITA, especially if you're running it hard at track shit and also want it to be streetable.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:50 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:43 pm

Well, neither is a BRZ apparently :lolol: I'm on a wait list.
I'd be curious what you will find with the Hyundai :dillerman: I scavenged some forums and essentially 3k markup is the BARE MINIMUM on one of these. Similar to what's been going on with the civic SI... After contacting 6 :dillerman: and seeing that they are consistent in their attempt to absolutely FINANCIALLY RAPE THEIR CUSTOMERS WITH 0 FUCKS GIVEN. I refuse to give that brand any business (honda) they can rot in hell with their shitty ass cars.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:34 pm Elantra N, the real track worthy car
Kid hauler and track day fun. I think it looks really cool in the dark blue

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:54 pm

:notbad: I like their light blue a ton, but that color kind of hides the ugo front end better which is nice.
max225

Oh wow that's a really nice color, i normally see them in that eye piercing Smurf blue but not this one.

Has Hyundai fixed their quality issues ? They had quite a few bad things hit the fan recently.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:06 pm

Oh wow that's a really nice color, i normally see them in that eye piercing Smurf blue but not this one.

Has Hyundai fixed their quality issues ? They had quite a few bad things hit the fan recently.
Buys a 211 and is a quality Nazi now

:impressive:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:42 pm

No I totally get it. I was just saying that a new car will usually depreciate much more than a full depreciated beema. I like the beema and I think it serves a pretty unique situation, but I also see being bored with it. Unfortunately your alternatives are quite compromised. Did you take a look at the Camero i built ?
Yeah I dig it... didn't know they were that cheap. I think you're right, kind of wild that it's only $5K more than a BRZ and it's got almost 3X the engine, among other things. Pretty sure my wife hates Camaros though, so it's likely a nonstarter. I also agree with Eric normally that Corvettes are a much better car and used the same money but that's not really the case now. I think a new V8 Camaro > a 12 year old Corvette.
The being with a woman part is the whole Camaro killer.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:14 pm

:word: Mine seems to kind of like Corvettes weirdly. She HATED the scrape but outside of that I think thought it was cool and now actually points out 'Richvettes' to me when she sees them as if they're some sort of aspirational vehicle.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Richvettes :lolol:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:16 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:14 pm

:word: Mine seems to kind of like Corvettes weirdly. She HATED the scrape but outside of that I think thought it was cool and now actually points out 'Richvettes' to me when she sees them as if they're some sort of aspirational vehicle.
C8 seems fairly aspirational. 6 figures is a lot of money to park in a toy.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:06 pm

So far my brother hasn't had any issues with his. They had that reverse installed clutch disc ( :fullretard: ) TSB early on but I don't think there's been anything else.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:48 pm Yeah so this is why I bought an STI. I tested a BRZ on a whim and loved it and the STI had that same fizz but AWD and more doors.
Yeah I should have. I had a chance to buy a 2020 or 2021 (I forget) WRB base STi with less than 3k miles on it for around $41k on it a few months ago. This was right before the news came out that a new STi wasn't going to be made and before prices jumped through the roof, but that was still $9k-$10k more than the GR86 was going to cost and I genuinely wasn't sure which one I would prefer. I hadn't driven the 86 yet and reviews were universally glowing, so I figured all else equal, I'll save the money and get something brand new. Turns out, all else isn't equal. The 86 is cool, but as it turns out I'd definitely prefer the STi.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:53 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:48 pm Yeah so this is why I bought an STI. I tested a BRZ on a whim and loved it and the STI had that same fizz but AWD and more doors.
Yeah I should have. I had a chance to buy a 2020 or 2021 (I forget) WRB base STi with less than 3k miles on it for around $41k on it a few months ago. This was right before the news came out that a new STi wasn't going to be made and before prices jumped through the roof, but that was still $9k-$10k more than the GR86 was going to cost and I genuinely wasn't sure which one I would prefer. I hadn't driven the 86 yet and reviews were universally glowing, so I figured all else equal, I'll save the money and get something brand new. Turns out, all else isn't equal. The 86 is cool, but as it turns out I'd definitely prefer the STi.
So real question here. You fawned over the GTI when you had it and said you much preferred it to the WRX. Why would you go back to the WRX instead of looking for another MK7, or something like a GLI?

The STI has some major downsides. I don’t think I’ll ever own another one due to the mpg penalty and the bouncy ride.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:58 am So real question here. You fawned over the GTI when you had it and said you much preferred it to the WRX. Why would you go back to the WRX instead of looking for another MK7, or something like a GLI?

The STI has some major downsides. I don’t think I’ll ever own another one due to the mpg penalty and the bouncy ride.
That's an option. And I certainly preferred the GTI as a daily, but as a dedicated "fun" thing it makes way less sense to me. The GTI easily wins out in MPG, ride, and overall comfort, but it also isn't as fun to huck around and push above 7/10ths. The 18+ STis also ride quite a bit better, although I'd prefer to put some Cygnus coilovers on whatever year I ended up with.

Have had my eye on this one, doe. https://www.serpentinichevy.net/used/Vo ... bd58a6.htm
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:10 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:58 am So real question here. You fawned over the GTI when you had it and said you much preferred it to the WRX. Why would you go back to the WRX instead of looking for another MK7, or something like a GLI?

That's an option. And I certainly preferred the GTI as a daily, but as a dedicated "fun" thing it makes way less sense to me. The GTI easily wins out in MPG, ride, and overall comfort, but it also isn't as fun to huck around and push above 7/10ths. The 18+ STis also ride quite a bit better, although I'd prefer to put some Cygnus coilovers on whatever year I ended up with.

Have had my eye on this one, doe. https://www.serpentinichevy.net/used/Vo ... bd58a6.htm
A new one is 30,500 equally equipped. Why would anyone buy this?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:19 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:10 am

Because I don't like the MK8.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:23 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:19 pm
Because I don't like the MK8.
Fair but I likely wouldn't pay 90% of msrp for a 5 year old GTI.
Johnny_P

Isn’t a GLI similar but it has the older interior?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:00 pm Isn’t a GLI similar but it has the older interior?
Yes it's basically a MK7.6
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:00 pm Isn’t a GLI similar but it has the older interior?
Also fugly IMO. :nope:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:33 pm
Also fugly IMO. :nope:
Yeah they’re not exactly the best looking things in the world. Totally understand that.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Wow, found a Toyota dealer near me actually discounting Tacomas a bit. If this thing were :manuel: ...

https://www.toyotaofmuskegon.com/new/To ... ae4228.htm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.