:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:56 pm

Hah
Dump it
THANK YOU
86s in here are getting pumped and dumped left and right … :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:00 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:31 pm
One of the videos posted here describes the rtv and interestingly enough Subaru uses different rtvs depending on area. Most of it is the gray shit from
The pan, but some is black from other areas of the engine.

:fullretard: but I mean that’s why there is a screen there and shit happens.
Until it gets clogged and :nuke: the engine which is what happened in the first case.

I don't think the screen was put there to stop sealant from getting sucked up into the engine.
It's there to prevent any debris, including sealant.

The thing is, this probably happens in a ton of engines, we just don't know about it because it's not a problem. It's just reducing oil flow, so it's high demand cases that run the risk of grenading the engine like going to the track or auto-x. You could probably daily drive one of these things with the junk in the screen forever without an issue.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:00 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:31 pm
One of the videos posted here describes the rtv and interestingly enough Subaru uses different rtvs depending on area. Most of it is the gray shit from
The pan, but some is black from other areas of the engine.

:fullretard: but I mean that’s why there is a screen there and shit happens.
Until it gets clogged and :nuke: the engine which is what happened in the first case.

I don't think the screen was put there to stop sealant from getting sucked up into the engine.
What other purpose would it have. It’s doing exactly what it’s designed to do… I am not here to say that it’s “normal” but some of this is … that’s why these screens exist. I have been watching a lot of engine rebuild videos because I’m weird … and rtv sealant is ever present in these. Also occasionally it’ll catch timing chain guide remnants.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:45 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:53 pm If only I didn't need/want a back seat. Should probably consider an E90.

Dat single hump. :megusta:

https://www.responsemotors.com/used-veh ... -4d-c-759/
The back seat is really small in these … like
Smaller than the gti/golf. Also they are very maintenance heavy and require expensive ass bearing replacement as part of “maintenance”
:dat:

I looove an E90 M3 but man do I not want one. My goal is a fun all around car that is practical enough to be a DD when needed, can take some abuse at an occasional track event, and doesn't require a bunch of wrenching/maintenance. I have learned that I don't particularly enjoy working on cars. I'm totally good with fluid changes, brakes, occasional repairs/maintenance, but no constant headache, time, and expense. Also, tracking an M car is a rich man's game. They are collectible so I'd be concerned about fucking it up, and the consumables costs are off the charts.

A C6GS is a legit suggestion but they are like $50K now and still a 10+ year old car. If it was the same price as a BRZ I'd likely be all over it, but I'd rather have a basic Z51 manual C7. Maybe they will be $35K in short order at which point I'd likely jump on one.

For now I have nothing to lose by keeping the BRZ order open. I can decide I don't want it when it arrives and they give me my $1K back. If prices are really falling I just may hold out.

There's a lot at play here though, BRZ is sort of a bird in hand. If I decide to keep the BMW for now and :tits: becomes pregnant, well, dumping the BMW for a Corvette probably ain't gonna happen. I also had a Corvette for nearly a decade. I love them but :iono: I'd like something different.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:52 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:45 pm

The back seat is really small in these … like
Smaller than the gti/golf. Also they are very maintenance heavy and require expensive ass bearing replacement as part of “maintenance”
:dat:

I looove an E90 M3 but man do I not want one. My goal is a fun all around car that is practical enough to be a DD when needed, can take some abuse at an occasional track event, and doesn't require a bunch of wrenching/maintenance. I have learned that I don't particularly enjoy working on cars. I'm totally good with fluid changes, brakes, occasional repairs/maintenance, but no constant headache, time, and expense. Also, tracking an M car is a rich man's game. They are collectible so I'd be concerned about fucking it up, and the consumables costs are off the charts.

A C6GS is a legit suggestion but they are like $50K now and still a 10+ year old car. If it was the same price as a BRZ I'd likely be all over it, but I'd rather have a basic Z51 manual C7. Maybe they will be $35K in short order at which point I'd likely jump on one.

For now I have nothing to lose by keeping the BRZ order open. I can decide I don't want it when it arrives and they give me my $1K back. If prices are really falling I just may hold out.

There's a lot at play here though, BRZ is sort of a bird in hand. If I decide to keep the BMW for now and :tits: becomes pregnant, well, dumping the BMW for a Corvette probably ain't gonna happen. I also had a Corvette for nearly a decade. I love them but :iono: I'd like something different.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Nah. 1LT but NPP and Gandfalf spec $40K asking 25K miles. I'd rather drive this thing all day long vs. the caulk tosser. In 3 more months C8s will be on lots in numbers driving down prices on all previous models.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The :dillerman: show is OVER. I'm going to enjoy the next six months with relish.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

I don’t understand why anyone would get a C6 when the C7 is around…. They are not rare cars and will soon be in the 40s and 30s where they belong. C6 is too dated IMO and too close to a c5
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:07 pm I don’t understand why anyone would get a C6 when the C7 is around…. They are not rare cars and will soon be in the 40s and 30s where they belong. C6 is too dated IMO and too close to a c5
The C6GS is more of a looker than the base C7 IMHO........I could not do a non GS or Z06 C7.
That said I agree with your statement for the most part. If the C6GS had better seats I probably would have kept it.
max225

Wide body does look nice. But it is what it is … a 20 year old GM sports car built to some epic budget … they have really upped their ante in the subsequent generations.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:15 pm Wide body does look nice. But it is what it is … a 20 year old GM sports car built to some epic budget … they have really upped their ante in the subsequent generations.
I understand but my point is that I would rather drive a ten year old Corvette than the latest flat four contraption that you need to pull the oil pan on before Auto X.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:09 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:07 pm I don’t understand why anyone would get a C6 when the C7 is around…. They are not rare cars and will soon be in the 40s and 30s where they belong. C6 is too dated IMO and too close to a c5
The C6GS is more of a looker than the base C7 IMHO........I could not do a non GS or Z06 C7.
That said I agree with your statement for the most part. If the C6GS had better seats I probably would have kept it.
I agree, widebody C6 looks better than most C7... in fact C7 isn't that great looking, pretty low on my list in the generations of Corvette (I'd say only C5 looks IMO).

I am still with Max though, it's a car that was launched 20 years ago, it's old as hell. I wouldn't rule it out, but I'd much rather have something more modern, it's just a lot less shit to break. I am fairly :aintcare: about the tech innovations, but time does age things like bushings, seals, gaskets, wiring, etc. even when miles are really low.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:23 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:15 pm Wide body does look nice. But it is what it is … a 20 year old GM sports car built to some epic budget … they have really upped their ante in the subsequent generations.
I understand but my point is that I would rather drive a ten year old Corvette than the latest flat four contraption that you need to pull the oil pan on before Auto X.
Where's the donation basket? Preach
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

If we get to a point where a 2015 Corvette Z51 is $35-40K (which would still be high compared to their traditional depreciation curve) I would be all over that.

I'm :notsure: what other cars really fit the bill. :iono: :doe: truth is I haven't been to the track once this year, went about six times last year. I've just been more into cycling, perhaps this is a wild goose chase.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

And you're right, I'm 100% NOT dropping an oil pan before each track day, fuck that.

Like I said, I'm currently unsure. But if the twins aren't fixed AND the car market tanks as it should, a 2022 86/BRZ will be like $22K in a year's time, so I would lose $10K+ on the BRZ in short order. If I ride it out in the Beemah, I can't see it dipping much below 12ish assuming I keep it nice and don't pile on a bunch of miles (which I won't). So it's still half the cost to own in that span with better fuel economy and any mods needed for light track use done already.

I would like to avoid the dual car thing though, I just am not that into it. The BRZ is a better daily than a Corvette, IMO. Especially an old one. Maybe I should Camaro.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Elantra N, the real track worthy car
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:30 pm

And you're right, I'm 100% NOT dropping an oil pan before each track day, fuck that.

Like I said, I'm currently unsure. But if the twins aren't fixed AND the car market tanks as it should, a 2022 86/BRZ will be like $22K in a year's time, so I would lose $10K+ on the BRZ in short order. If I ride it out in the Beemah, I can't see it dipping much below 12ish assuming I keep it nice and don't pile on a bunch of miles (which I won't). So it's still half the cost to own in that span with better fuel economy and any mods needed for light track use done already.

I would like to avoid the dual car thing though, I just am not that into it. The BRZ is a better daily than a Corvette, IMO. Especially an old one. Maybe I should Camaro.
Can’t really compare a nearly fully depreciated bmw to a brand new sporty thing with a limited appeal. It will always depreciate more.

Imo since you’re working on CF and the beema is fully usable as a CF carrier it makes little sense to get a brz over that. You’d have to really want it …
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I rented an SS 10 speed auto recently that was pretty fucking beat for a rental car but man it handled and went like hell. The trunk and back seat were a fucking joke though how can a Corvette rule so hard on an alleged four seat car for PRACTICAL LIVING? I didn't mind the visiblity as much as everybody says it had blind spot monitors AND your right foot clear the blind spot real quick. Biggest objection other than the trunk was the plasticky dash and gauges. Not sure I could drop $40K plus on such a thing unless I was 1LE then I get it. The chassis in the newer one is bad ass and lets face it the last gen didn't really suck either.
max225

So I made a manual LT1 with Recaro seats + "tech package" which gets the bigger screen and close stereo. 38,300 MSRP. I think I posted about the insane value of this post my Hawaii rental of the Camero...

V8 and under 40k... What more do you need?

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/c ... Code=94595

Like what is more fun about the BRZ? I guess its more tossable and smaller... ? The camERO prob gets better highway MPG even which is :fullretard:
Last edited by max225 on Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:27 pm If we get to a point where a 2015 Corvette Z51 is $35-40K (which would still be high compared to their traditional depreciation curve) I would be all over that.

I'm :notsure: what other cars really fit the bill. :iono: :doe: truth is I haven't been to the track once this year, went about six times last year. I've just been more into cycling, perhaps this is a wild goose chase.
I gave up on track driving because it's such a hassle. Cycling for example, is really better in every way. Offroading is way more approachable and has a fun adventure element, which is how I got away from sports cars entirely. There's more to the world and now that they all cost a fortune, screw it.

If I could get a C7 for mid-$30k, I'd be really in the market. At least a Corvette is an experience, even just cruising the road (which is all I'd do).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:12 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:27 pm If we get to a point where a 2015 Corvette Z51 is $35-40K (which would still be high compared to their traditional depreciation curve) I would be all over that.

I gave up on track driving because it's such a hassle. Cycling for example, is really better in every way. Offroading is way more approachable and has a fun adventure element, which is how I got away from sports cars entirely. There's more to the world and now that they all cost a fortune, screw it.

If I could get a C7 for mid-$30k, I'd be really in the market. At least a Corvette is an experience, even just cruising the road (which is all I'd do).
I mean, I WILL track whatever, but just not enough to justify some kind of dedicated track car, that shit gets :fullretard: very quickly. Track driving is really, really fun, but it's also very expensive and time consuming, and these both go up exponentially the more you want to partake.

I still think the BRZ offers a different experience -it's light, you can wind it out on city streets, you can dorifto wherever and get a lot of lolz. Corvettes are often 'overkill' for most scenarios in my day-to-day life, I know because I had one for almost a decade. It was still BY FAR my favorite car I've had and the most fun, so there is that. The BRZ could wind up being :disappoint:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:48 pm

Can’t really compare a nearly fully depreciated bmw to a brand new sporty thing with a limited appeal. It will always depreciate more.

Imo since you’re working on CF and the beema is fully usable as a CF carrier it makes little sense to get a brz over that. You’d have to really want it …
I mean I can compare them because that's the reality I'm in, it's no different than comparing a Civic Sport and an M3, we all have our unique situations and they are what they are. The BMW's what I got so it's the comparison to anything else I'm thinking about.

At this point I think I'd rather have an ND2 than a BRZ but there's many disadvantages - the wife doesn't like them really, zero CF hauling capabilities versus the option in a pinch, some track days won't allow it, more expensive new versus new.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:11 pm So I made a manual LT1 with Recaro seats + "tech package" which gets the bigger screen and close stereo. 38,300 MSRP. I think I posted about the insane value of this post my Hawaii rental of the Camero...

V8 and under 40k... What more do you need?

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/c ... Code=94595

Like what is more fun about the BRZ? I guess its more tossable and smaller... ? The camERO prob gets better highway MPG even which is :fullretard:
:impressive:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:34 pm Elantra N, the real track worthy car
I'm kinda into this idea honestly. I haven't rocked FWD in many years, :notsure: how I feel about it.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:40 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:48 pm

I mean I can compare them because that's the reality I'm in, it's no different than comparing a Civic Sport and an M3, we all have our unique situations and they are what they are. The BMW's what I got so it's the comparison to anything else I'm thinking about.

At this point I think I'd rather have an ND2 than a BRZ but there's many disadvantages - the wife doesn't like them really, zero CF hauling capabilities versus the option in a pinch, some track days won't allow it, more expensive new versus new.
No I totally get it. I was just saying that a new car will usually depreciate much more than a full depreciated beema. I like the beema and I think it serves a pretty unique situation, but I also see being bored with it. Unfortunately your alternatives are quite compromised. Did you take a look at the Camero i built ?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:12 pm

I mean, I WILL track whatever, but just not enough to justify some kind of dedicated track car, that shit gets :fullretard: very quickly. Track driving is really, really fun, but it's also very expensive and time consuming, and these both go up exponentially the more you want to partake.

I still think the BRZ offers a different experience -it's light, you can wind it out on city streets, you can dorifto wherever and get a lot of lolz. Corvettes are often 'overkill' for most scenarios in my day-to-day life, I know because I had one for almost a decade. It was still BY FAR my favorite car I've had and the most fun, so there is that. The BRZ could wind up being :disappoint:
You like slow cars on the street (Miata) so you'll like the BRZ just fine I think. It'll be way more approachable than the Vette in random scenarios and probably make it quite fun. Since you don't have a crazy commute, it'll be fine.

I've had vettes stuck in my head lately. Been thinking about a C4 until I inherit the C3. C4 would be plenty fast and fun and cheap. A base C5 is pushing the limits of fun on the street, but a C4 could be the sweet spot.