:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:31 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:55 pm

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 69913.html

4 figures for a fully prepped Miata seems cheap. About 1/2 of the markup on an average new ev.
You wouldn't touch one with any of "the bad" though.
There's no need to buy a car with rust.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:40 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:31 pm

You wouldn't touch one with any of "the bad" though.
Rust
bacon fenders
ripped soft top window
poor interior condition
JB welded dash
no AC
noisy TOB

Did I miss anything?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:50 pm

Rust
bacon fenders
ripped soft top window
poor interior condition
JB welded dash
no AC
noisy TOB

Did I miss anything?
Not much. Many ZOMG suspension components bolted to a turd.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Rust
bacon fenders
ripped soft top window
poor interior condition
JB welded dash
no AC
noisy TOB

Did I miss anything?
Racekar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:35 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:22 am

They are slow and don't drive that great though in terms of outright performance (particularly stock, great platform if modded). They're a ton of fun though. That is the whole point, anything from that era is sort of a POS by any objective measure, so get what's fun to you.
I'll give you slow but :howdareu: say they don't drive great. :howdareu:
I love driving them and owned one... but objectively they are shit if you're looking at measurable aspects. Just like a 30 year old 'yota truck is shit by those same measurables. Both can also be fun/cool in their own ways though. That's all I'm saying, and I think that's why some are willing to pay so much for them.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:17 pm

Rust
bacon fenders
ripped soft top window
poor interior condition
JB welded dash
no AC
noisy TOB

Did I miss anything?
It would be a fun car for sure, but it's certainly not nice. I'd take it for $5K maybe.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:04 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:17 pm

It would be a fun car for sure, but it's certainly not nice. I'd take it for $5K maybe.
Agreed on price but where I live I canna do any corrosion, that is just poverty.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:14 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:45 pm

:fullretard:

I see a basket case with bad paint that needs a transmission out service and a soft top. its a 3k car with a 1.5k hardtop and 1k or so worth of wheels. MIGHT be worth 6 to right person.
Bro...$6k buys rusted heaps right now. I got my S10 for $6k (which I know traditionally would be a stupid price) and it was by far the cleanest thing I found for the price. Nobody wants them, so there's some downward price pressure even. Fun cars are worse, now that they're pretty much unobtainium and every one desirable for some reason, they've all come up in price drastically.

Inflation sucks.
I'm calling a certain amount of bullshit int he under 10k space. When I listed my car *with a hardtop* for 6500 i got like 4 messages in a week, all tire kicking lowballers. My car is actually pretty not bad looks wise, no rust, etc etc. and while not perfect is a good runner with working ac.

I think a lot of these people are not actually selling their cars or are taking 25% or more haircuts when they do. Or maybe you are right and this is just the next phase of the recession where people are selling toys, trying to get top dollar, they ain't moving product, and prices will come down.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:42 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:14 pm
Bro...$6k buys rusted heaps right now. I got my S10 for $6k (which I know traditionally would be a stupid price) and it was by far the cleanest thing I found for the price. Nobody wants them, so there's some downward price pressure even. Fun cars are worse, now that they're pretty much unobtainium and every one desirable for some reason, they've all come up in price drastically.

Inflation sucks.
I'm calling a certain amount of bullshit int he under 10k space. When I listed my car *with a hardtop* for 6500 i got like 4 messages in a week, all tire kicking lowballers. My car is actually pretty not bad looks wise, no rust, etc etc. and while not perfect is a good runner with working ac.

I think a lot of these people are not actually selling their cars or are taking 25% or more haircuts when they do. Or maybe you are right and this is just the next phase of the recession where people are selling toys, trying to get top dollar, they ain't moving product, and prices will come down.
I think it's highly regional. In middle of nowhere northern Michigan, everyone is convinced they're sitting on 4 wheeled gold. Yet I've got a buddy who scores deals all the time somehow, he said you just have to be persistent and hit up a lot of different people. I've been looking for older project cars for my old man, and I've noticed a number of things sitting for a while. One dude I emailed two months ago about a 77 Trans Am project wanted $15k FIRM for a shell and parts, I told him to let me know when he was ready to deal, and he hit me up last week asking for offers. Reality is setting in...

Yet still, the vast majority of sellers I've interacted with over the last 3ish months have been completely unreasonable and it appears that things are still selling in Colorado. Hit up a dude with a clean 2000 Tacoma with 200k miles asking $15k. Truck wasn't THAT nice, but I told him I'd come look at it. Sold apparently for ask before I got there. 1998 K1500 reg cab short bed 5.7, 170k miles asking $9k. Same experience as the Tacoma, sold for ask before I could get there. The only reason I got the S10 was because the dude was cool and held onto it for me for some reason. Nice guy, guess I got lucky.

Buyers need to stop with infinite money buying, and sellers need to get more desperate. Both will happen, but we're not there yet.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:11 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:42 am

I think it's highly regional. In middle of nowhere northern Michigan, everyone is convinced they're sitting on 4 wheeled gold. Yet I've got a buddy who scores deals all the time somehow, he said you just have to be persistent and hit up a lot of different people. I've been looking for older project cars for my old man, and I've noticed a number of things sitting for a while. One dude I emailed two months ago about a 77 Trans Am project wanted $15k FIRM for a shell and parts, I told him to let me know when he was ready to deal, and he hit me up last week asking for offers. Reality is setting in...

Yet still, the vast majority of sellers I've interacted with over the last 3ish months have been completely unreasonable and it appears that things are still selling in Colorado. Hit up a dude with a clean 2000 Tacoma with 200k miles asking $15k. Truck wasn't THAT nice, but I told him I'd come look at it. Sold apparently for ask before I got there. 1998 K1500 reg cab short bed 5.7, 170k miles asking $9k. Same experience as the Tacoma, sold for ask before I could get there. The only reason I got the S10 was because the dude was cool and held onto it for me for some reason. Nice guy, guess I got lucky.

Buyers need to stop with infinite money buying, and sellers need to get more desperate. Both will happen, but we're not there yet.
We're just still in the beginning, people on the buying side aren't all realizing and some are just conditioned to the high prices now. A lot of people still think houses are going over asking and whatnot when that's not it.

I did call out months ago that some stuff won't really come back down and I stand by that although all disagreed with me. Stuff like NA sports cars, simple :manuel: :truk: , etc. will never be built again and all of the enthusiasts are seeing the impending doom of the EV push and trying to grab up the clean examples. The scarcity will dictate some things remain valuable.

I personally would still love to get an MR2 Spyder but last I checked it's still $15K+ for a nice-ish example. There just aren't a million MR2s out there like Miatas, no other approachable/affordable/reliable mid engine cars exist and we're all realizing they never will again.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:11 am

We're just still in the beginning, people on the buying side aren't all realizing and some are just conditioned to the high prices now. A lot of people still think houses are going over asking and whatnot when that's not it.

I did call out months ago that some stuff won't really come back down and I stand by that although all disagreed with me. Stuff like NA sports cars, simple :manuel: :truk: , etc. will never be built again and all of the enthusiasts are seeing the impending doom of the EV push and trying to grab up the clean examples. The scarcity will dictate some things remain valuable.

I personally would still love to get an MR2 Spyder but last I checked it's still $15K+ for a nice-ish example. There just aren't a million MR2s out there like Miatas, no other approachable/affordable/reliable mid engine cars exist and we're all realizing they never will again.
Interesting thought about the end of certain vehicles. I'll say, I was really surprised by the S10 and how unique it feels compared to modern stuff. I really like that little truck, and nothing new on the market will ever come close to it again. Maybe there is some demand due to scarcity (not much old and decent left, nothing new like it).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:26 pm

Interesting thought about the end of certain vehicles. I'll say, I was really surprised by the S10 and how unique it feels compared to modern stuff. I really like that little truck, and nothing new on the market will ever come close to it again. Maybe there is some demand due to scarcity (not much old and decent left, nothing new like it).
The factory lift is cool AF. Bisony.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yep. The funny thing is, one of the reasons Toyotas are worth so much more (in my estimation) could be that they actually rust to bits much more than the 'murican equivalents so there are a lot more old Rangers and S10s out there. Funny given the perception on reliability. The fact is, any of those old trucks are so simple, they will all be about as reliable as any vehicle can be from that era, assuming they're decently well cared for.

Glad you're enjoying it so much!
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:48 pm
Yep. The funny thing is, one of the reasons Toyotas are worth so much more (in my estimation) could be that they actually rust to bits much more than the 'murican equivalents so there are a lot more old Rangers and S10s out there. Funny given the perception on reliability. The fact is, any of those old trucks are so simple, they will all be about as reliable as any vehicle can be from that era, assuming they're decently well cared for.

You also have to remember that the vast majority of Tacomas are actually not sold in states within the rust belt. California/Hawaii are the biggest markets for these trucks... and plenty of places like Florida/Texas/AZ etc won't see a spec of rust either. I'd say only about 15-20% of all tacos sold, are in the places where they turn to dust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:18 pm

You also have to remember that the vast majority of Tacomas are actually not sold in states within the rust belt. California/Hawaii are the biggest markets for these trucks... and plenty of places like Florida/Texas/AZ etc won't see a spec of rust either. I'd say only about 15-20% of all tacos sold, are in the places where they turn to dust.
True, just a thought I had.

Tacos are very popular in NC too and cars don't rust at all.
ChrisoftheNorth

S10s rusted something fierce. My first truck succumbed to rust when the cab mount rusted through. Every single one I find in Michigan is rusted. I won't drive my S10 in the winter. Thankfully, I don't need to.

But Max is onto something with sales distribution. Here, Toyotas are pretty rare, and back in the 90s/00s were pretty much non existent. They've always sold mostly in the west and south. The ones that did sell up here rusted worse than S10s and Rangers (they don't deal with frame rust like the Toyotas) and got a so/so rep because of it. Tacos have always been a paragon of reliability because if rust is out of the equation, there's nothing wrong with them.

Murican trucks have had their share of problems, and got them in a bad state. These days, all those problems are well documented, and most trucks still around have had them addressed. I need to repair a leaking oil line on my truck and one of the front axle seals is weeping more than I'm comfortable with, but that's it other than the interior refresh. The distributor thing that stranded us was really a fluke and could happen to any truck. At this stage, any truck of that age will be equally reliable.

Which brings me back to why an equivalent Tacoma to my S10 would be at least double the price?
ChrisoftheNorth

I still think money could be made buying "worthless" murican trucks in rust free areas and selling them here. I found a CL post for an S10 in similar condition to mine (but auto) asking $10k and the listing was gone the next day. Full size trucks seem to be desirable everywhere, but smaller S10s, Sonomas, and Rangers seem to be pretty cheap out west. And they're trucks that won't ever exist again.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:33 pm I still think money could be made buying "worthless" murican trucks in rust free areas and selling them here. I found a CL post for an S10 in similar condition to mine (but auto) asking $10k and the listing was gone the next day. Full size trucks seem to be desirable everywhere, but smaller S10s, Sonomas, and Rangers seem to be pretty cheap out west. And they're trucks that won't ever exist again.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/7531030680.html

Happy to pick this up and have you prove out this theory... :iono:
max225

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Man I would want that SS if it wasn't for the auto :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:33 pm I still think money could be made buying "worthless" murican trucks in rust free areas and selling them here. I found a CL post for an S10 in similar condition to mine (but auto) asking $10k and the listing was gone the next day. Full size trucks seem to be desirable everywhere, but smaller S10s, Sonomas, and Rangers seem to be pretty cheap out west. And they're trucks that won't ever exist again.

This has potential. It's not a ZR2, which would keep price down a bit, but this is probably an 8-9k truck cleaned up out here. Even with the problems (which could be addressed pretty simply/cheaply).

Manuals are rare AF (way more so than Tacos) and highly sought after.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:41 pm Man I would want that SS if it wasn't for the auto :lolol:
They only made a few thousand SSs before the uglier XTreme came out and replaced it. I'm not sure you could get a manual SS. Would be major :megusta:
max225

http://www.baycitymotors.net/?clrd=myba ... 3eqxv8YA==

This looks clean AF but no miles listed.
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/7527668064.html
I took care of a few mechanical hiccups it came with and then more. All in all I've got receipts for around $25,000 worth of work within the last two years.
is this Poorsche ownershit?

Major details:
- I'm the fourth owner, clean title in hand
- 71,xxx miles
- Clean carfax
- Fantastic driving / mechanical condition (9/10)
- Great paint condition (8/10)
- IMS bearing replaced
- Suspension upgrades; HR Performance coilovers, New front/rear control arms, New front/rear sway bar links
- Transmission upgrades; 997 OEM short shifter, GT3 shift knob, Numeric shifter cables
- Exhaust upgrades; Fister exhaust + black ceramic mufflers, new OEM cats
- Interior upgrades; Center console delete, OEM radio

Recent maintenance:
- Oil change and alignment on 08/29
- New tires
- New engine mount
- New spark plugs
- New expansion tank
- New oil separator
- New rear brake pads
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:35 pm

Get CDL. Buy used car hauler. Buy trucks on the cheap, drive out to Michigan, where Chris' Dad's shop and driveway have been turned into a commercial detail zone. Chris sells trucks at 100% markup like a coke dealer. Repeat all year. Quit your job as a bean counting white collar Pay Area slave and instead pilot a Peterbilt with Vladimir Putin, Owner Operator painted on the door. Win.