Moostang for the people?!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So as some of you may now, I am currently enjoying a 2018 mustang ecoboost convertible...

Honestly I thought I'd HATE the car... but it is frankly :notbad: And it has a LOT of very good qualities...

The car in question must be an ecoboost premium as it has ass coolers, leather etc. per usual I'll make a list of things I liked and didn't like, and of course I am :wrong: per usual.

The likes:
1. The 2.3 i4 is excellent, it doesn't feel like a boosted motor, power comes on below 2k rpms... It also idles smooth, most 4 cylinders don't. It also has a decent amount of power. My favorite feature of the car, to be honest. This engine would be great in a wrangler vs the 3.6.
2. Holy shit, the ride quality is just :mindblown: whoever tuned this car did a really good job. It absorbs bumps really well and is compliant etc. Handling is still great for DD duty, but the car is just super compliant and fun to drive.
3. It has very :neat: options, ass coolers and heaters, car play etc. NOTHING I don't want.
4. I know I lot of you hate "sync" but I had no issues with it, it is quick and responsive, no lag per say
5. Brakes are good, even though they are sliders
6. Even little things like back up camera are excellent, system is similar to Teslas which is one of the best in the business.
7. The trunk even though it is a failvertible fit 2 backpacks, groceries, + 2 carry on luggages... it is smallish but usable, and when the top folds it doesn't impede on the trunk. Great design IMO.
8. Transmission is nice and smooth in derp mode, don't see the need for manual at all.

The dislikes:
1. The car feels BIG, the hood is super long, and the turning radius sucks.
2. I had issues with the windows when the roof was going up, they wouldn't go into the roof... so it seems like silicone lubricant would help... but rental
3. The steering wheel has terrible ergonomics, it is too big, buttons are too randomly placed etc.
4. The car is showing a LOT of wear and tear... suggesting low quality interior materials, the seats look OLD and the steering wheel is shiny... on a car with 16k miles... granted... rental miles but still. I looked at 6 others...all looked same.
5. Backseat is abysmal... This is a 2 seater.
6. Transmission is a bit too :derp: status for me... so it is a bit of a love hate with it, but overall it is great for DD'ing, it would lag occasionally have roughish shifting...

Overall... I really like this car. Which is both :disgust: and :neat: at the same time... but frankly it is fun to drive. I can totally see why people love these. Great cars... I'm just shocked a the smoothness and power delivery of the 2.3, yes 5.0 or death but this thing is VERY VERY DECENT. I think it makes for a great DD motor... a 2.3 ecoboost coupe with the 10 speed would a great daily that has some soul to it...
max225

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:wrong:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Hell of a lot better than the Mitsubishi Outlander I got as a rental.

I think your assessment is pretty much what I expected TBH. Ford has really put a lot into the Mustang chassis and made a great handling car out of, they're just yuge.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

Melon wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:18 am Hell of a lot better than the Mitsubishi Outlander I got as a rental.

I think your assessment is pretty much what I expected TBH. Ford has really put a lot into the Mustang chassis and made a great handling car out of, they're just yuge.
Mustang
F150

Those are the two Ford cares about, and it shows. That and their engine options across their lineup. They're one of the few that at least offer a more powerful option in a lot of their cars/SUVs/etc.

Although I think the Mustang interior may be getting due for a refresh.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Overall I really liked my ecoboost premium Mustang. It was a great cruiser but never felt that sporty to me because of the size. Ride and interior were excellent I agree though
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Yep, this was about my takeaway from the EcoBoost Mustang I rented when I was CA a few years back. Overall a very :notbad: car. Totally get why people like them.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

They aren't bad cars to drive at all. Honestly, between the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger, the Mustang would earn my business right now. It is the best balance between performance and an everyday car. I'd probably still go with the 5.0 because I like eight cylinders, but the Ecoboost isn't a bad engine at all.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:49 am
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:55 am They aren't bad cars to drive at all. Honestly, between the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger, the Mustang would earn my business right now. It is the best balance between performance and an everyday car. I'd probably still go with the 5.0 because I like eight cylinders, but the Ecoboost isn't a bad engine at all.
:dat:

I'd Moostang before getting a Camullet.

That Performance Pack 2 makes things wiggle. :dedong:
:ohmy:
Johnny_P

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:55 am They aren't bad cars to drive at all. Honestly, between the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger, the Mustang would earn my business right now. It is the best balance between performance and an everyday car. I'd probably still go with the 5.0 because I like eight cylinders, but the Ecoboost isn't a bad engine at all.

I like the Chally personally. I think I’d have more lolz in it. RT, 8 speed, bro exhaust, and just lay 11s all day.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:07 am

I like the Chally personally. I think I’d have more lolz in it. RT, 8 speed, bro exhaust, and just lay 11s all day.
Same. Probably :manuel: Hellcat :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:07 am I like the Chally personally. I think I’d have more lolz in it. RT, 8 speed, bro exhaust, and just lay 11s all day.
The Chally would be a close second in my selection, and probably would beat out the Mustang if the right deal came along. They are nice cruisers and I've never disliked the ones I have driven. The one upside the Challenger has is the TR6060 vs the Aisin found in the Stang.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I hear the 10 speed is good, even though I am leaning more towards :manuel: for this car. I am not quite a fan of mustangs chinese manuel which is known to be not what not people would call strong, and yet the shelby has a much better trans that is even shared with 4 banger :manuel: camaro's

And yes due to factory IRS coming from live axle, it did really changes the cars characteristics. But if I were to get a 4 banger turbo mustang, i'd see it as an alternative RWD i4 turbo that has the compromise between of fun to drive, decent power, gas mpg, and a proper wheel drive. But not as a Mustang :lol:
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:27 am
4. The car is showing a LOT of wear and tear... suggesting low quality interior materials, the seats look OLD and the steering wheel is shiny... on a car with 16k miles... granted... rental miles but still. I looked at 6 others...all looked same.
NAILED IT!!

My dads Explorer Sport steering leather surface began peeling to the point that it looks like a 300k mile car at 40k miles, Ford replaced it under warranty. I can also confirm the seats as well.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

See this is the weird part, I think this chassis is fine for the eco boost with the smaller wheels and tires once you
Throw all this “performance” at it would lose all the things I really liked about it. It has such a great ride quality.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

MexicanYarisTK wrote:I hear the 10 speed is good, even though I am leaning more towards :manuel: for this car. I am not quite a fan of mustangs chinese manuel which is known to be not what not people would call strong, and yet the shelby has a much better trans that is even shared with 4 banger :manuel: camaro's

And yes due to factory IRS coming from live axle, it did really changes the cars characteristics. But if I were to get a 4 banger turbo mustang, i'd see it as an alternative RWD i4 turbo that has the compromise between of fun to drive, decent power, and a proper wheel drive. But not a Mustang Image
I like it precisely because it's not like an old mustang. It's a nice, stylish car that's fully featured and still reasonably good to drive. I'd consider it alongside something like an A5 or 430i - but then ultimately likely end up with a TT or 230i instead anyway because those cars are all too damn big anymore.
max225

Like the way I see this car is not as some track weapon but just as a fun cruiser with some style. It is pretty cool looking with those new lights after the facelift ... led sequential rears etc. I didn’t expect it to feel as big as it does, it feels significantly bigger than my 3 series mainly due to the hood length and the immensely racked windshield.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I guess I'm the only one who'd take a SS 1LE. So :wrong:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:23 am I guess I'm the only one who'd take a SS 1LE. So :wrong:
I'm a Camaro fan. :koolaid: The performance stangs look :nice: doe.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:19 am Like the way I see this car is not as some track weapon but just as a fun cruiser with some style. It is pretty cool looking with those new lights after the facelift ... led sequential rears etc. I didn’t expect it to feel as big as it does, it feels significantly bigger than my 3 series mainly due to the hood length and the immensely racked windshield.
I wonder how will it compare to the f10 5 series :lol: but after driving a couple f30 loaners, that's pretty much how I feel about driving the f10's.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:Like the way I see this car is not as some track weapon but just as a fun cruiser with some style. It is pretty cool looking with those new lights after the facelift ... led sequential rears etc. I didn’t expect it to feel as big as it does, it feels significantly bigger than my 3 series mainly due to the hood length and the immensely racked windshield.
It also feels bigger because it's bigger. A mustang is pretty much 6-series sized.
max225

coogles wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:23 am I guess I'm the only one who'd take a SS 1LE. So :wrong:
Price point is not comparable

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ ... 95865.html

You can get a nearly new stang for around 20
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:30 am
Price point is not comparable

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ ... 95865.html

You can get a nearly new stang for around 20
My post was more in response to Zil posting about the PP2 Mustang.
Huckleberry

On paper, everything about the 6th Gen says that I should like it. Yet, when I have driven it, I wind up not liking it.
troyguitar

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:25 pm
On paper, everything about the 6th Gen says that I should like it. Yet, when I have driven it, I wind up not liking it.

vs