2019 Mazderp3

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:56 pm

The rear of the hatch reminds me a lot of the latest Velobster. Super :fatty: pear-shaped Hugh Jass look with tiny windows, a tiny hatch, and a tiny cargo area for no damn reason. :buywhy:

It's like they're purposely making hatches less and less useful to push people to buy SUV's instead. Fuckers.
Because apparently Mazda is after this 'Car as Art' thing.

I'm OK with it. The world needs more soulful design.

Go buy a Golf if you want a square hatch.
:sass:

Keep in mind that we actually bought a new 3 hatch for non-blowout pricing, this isn't some "I'd totally be interested if it came with 400 hp and weighed 2200 lbs for $17995 MSRP" - We like the car and would consider getting another new one eventually. At this point though, I'd go sedan with the bigger windows and lighter interior.

The "people of Wall-E" Hugh Jass look of the hatch might be artful but it is not pretty and it's not functional. A lot of modern art looks like crap.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:44 am I'm excited to get this in and see it in person.

The wife is excited about the red interior option, so I'm gonna keep stoking that fire and try and pull her away from the MINI lifestyle.
:dock:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:15 pm The only thing I don't love about that hatch is how when viewed from behind, the sides taper in so much toward the top. I'd like them to be a little more up and down and boxy.. Seems like it would increase cargo space a bit too.
The rear of the hatch reminds me a lot of the latest Velobster. Super :fatty: pear-shaped Hugh Jass look with tiny windows, a tiny hatch, and a tiny cargo area for no damn reason. :buywhy:

It's like they're purposely making hatches less and less useful to push people to buy SUV's instead. Fuckers.
saw that in the wild just yesterday. I wanted to race the guy in the :gorf: he was driving very amateur :stig: like in traffic.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:15 pm The only thing I don't love about that hatch is how when viewed from behind, the sides taper in so much toward the top. I'd like them to be a little more up and down and boxy.. Seems like it would increase cargo space a bit too.

The problem is that most people don’t NEED that much space. We manage just fine with a :jalapenis: Fiesta. Using the wife’s lobster and now her 500x is like winning the fucking lotto when it comes to storage space.

People are dumb and will buy th biggest vehicle they can “afford”
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:41 pm :sass:

Keep in mind that we actually bought a new 3 hatch for non-blowout pricing, this isn't some "I'd totally be interested if it came with 400 hp and weighed 2200 lbs for $17995 MSRP" - We like the car and would consider getting another new one eventually. At this point though, I'd go sedan with the bigger windows and lighter interior.

The "people of Wall-E" Hugh Jass look of the hatch might be artful but it is not pretty and it's not functional. A lot of modern art looks like crap.
Nobody's holding your back to the wall. Mazda is playing to the sporty crowd with the hatch and the more sensible crowd with the sedan. Hence the different design treatments and color motifs for each model.

If you hate it that much, go buy something else, or design your own Troyveo RS.

I like it. :iono:
You won't buy one either. It just goes to show that "voting with your wallet" is overrated. An individual buyer is powerless. Anyone with non-mainstream preferences will continue to have fewer and fewer choices available as the market contracts and simplifies toward :225: beige windowless pods. :sad:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 pm

The problem is that most people don’t NEED that much space. We manage just fine with a :jalapenis: Fiesta. Using the wife’s lobster and now her 500x is like winning the fucking lotto when it comes to storage space.

Fiesta still has a huge opening space. I’ve rented one overseas when they were pretty much new (inc. generation wise) had no issues putting huge luggages in and out
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Because apparently Mazda is after this 'Car as Art' thing.

I'm OK with it. The world needs more soulful design.

Go buy a Golf if you want a square hatch.
:dat:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

And you dont think sedans are doing the same?
Take a look at the 10th gen civic, ford fusion and probably some other cars. Yeah mazda 3 sedan maybe an exception, but I’d say the purpose of the design is not to push people to buy cuv’s, there will be always someone that wants cars like veloster, and 3 hatch, but not care about practicality. Like [user not found] said, its the style and design, and there are compromises.
troyguitar

Sedan trunks and openings aren't getting smaller AFAIK, this is a hatch/CUV phenomenon. The Mazda-designed iA trunk and opening is YUGE for example. It remains to be seen how the 2019 3 sedan trunk fares vs the current model, but it could also be smaller if they made the rear passenger space bigger without making the car itself bigger - that extra space must have been taken from the trunk.

The windows are definitely getting smaller on everything though and it continues to piss me off.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:47 pm Sedan trunks and openings aren't getting smaller AFAIK, this is a hatch/CUV phenomenon. The Mazda-designed iA trunk and opening is YUGE for example. It remains to be seen how the 2019 3 sedan trunk fares vs the current model, but it could also be smaller if they made the rear passenger space bigger without making the car itself bigger - that extra space must have been taken from the trunk.

The windows are definitely getting smaller on everything though and it continues to piss me off.
:dat: The epic greenhouse in my recent 2006 E-Class vs. the 2008 CLS 550 we got rid of is a day and night difference, pun intended. The CLS was really in the vanguard of greenhouse destruction in the name of style points and the killing fields never end. Evoque all the things. Fucking sucks.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:47 pm Sedan trunks and openings aren't getting smaller AFAIK, this is a hatch/CUV phenomenon. The Mazda-designed iA trunk and opening is YUGE for example. It remains to be seen how the 2019 3 sedan trunk fares vs the current model, but it could also be smaller if they made the rear passenger space bigger without making the car itself bigger - that extra space must have been taken from the trunk.

:dat: because of all the safety crap. Also for some extent design too. I actually sat in the back seat of a CLA for uber last weekend, and my god, the pillar made me feel claustrophobic.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:54 pm Troy, the 3" in length that the sedan gains for 2019 goes straight to the trunk. If you're worried about longer objects, just get the sedan. The seats still fold flat.
:derp:

I thought you said it was 1" longer and all in the wheelbase i.e. rear passenger legroom, maybe that's the hatch or I'm just a moran.

Either way, I care about the visibility waaaaay more than the cargo space - especially with folding rear seats. The 2/iA is actually the size of car that I want, but with the features of a 3/6. I'm thinking 230i/TT might be the answer if we decide to buy an expensive car but I'm really interested to see how the new engines and chassis are in the 3 along with real world pricing and mpg.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:

FWIW the visibility will really be fine if you have your mirrors adjusted correctly. :iono:
:wrong:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:15 pm
[user not found] wrote:

FWIW the visibility will really be fine if you have your mirrors adjusted correctly. :iono:
:wrong:
This. Glass is good. I like being able to see out of my car.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:56 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:37 am More reasons to go to dc autoshow this year
I wouldn't expect to see it at any of the smaller auto shows.

I'd be really surprised to see it at the Philadelphia auto show this winter.
So you’re telling me we should have a DFD goes to Philly auto show?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:39 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:56 am

I wouldn't expect to see it at any of the smaller auto shows.

I'd be really surprised to see it at the Philadelphia auto show this winter.
Come up super bowl weekend bruv. Super bowl Sunday is the best day to go to the auto show.

I’d expect this to be at the Philly show.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:29 am

Great in-detail overview of the car. :impressive:
I want to replace the chrome window trim with gloss black pieces...

...and I want matte cf to replace the black moldings along the bottom

:amir: #hashtag
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:35 pm
4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 pm

:dat:

I'm a perfect example of that. So :wasteful: much :truk:

I'd really love something like this, though:

Get rid of the yurt on top of it, give it a chance with a real motor, and replace that awful transmission and :yep: I'd do it.
Johnny_P

Isn't FCA giving the new Renegades a new motor this year or something? I thought I read that.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:23 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:39 pm
Come up super bowl weekend bruv. Super bowl Sunday is the best day to go to the auto show.

I’d expect this to be at the Philly show.
As long as eagles won’t play, but probably still epic and end up going home by the time i wake up for work :lol: Philly cheesesteak and yumm
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I love the headlights. Certain i wouldn't trade my R for it but i could see how both the sedan and hatch will sell like hotcakes, and if I were in the market I'd lean towards the hatch in that red or mica bloo. Visibility would need to be put to test but I'm thinking with all of blind spot/cross traffic monitoring and reversing cameras nowadays it wouldn't be too hard to live with. Why does AZN insist on tapering window lines?

I still love the rear quarter on the hatch.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

:jizz:
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:51 pm

:dat: The epic greenhouse in my recent 2006 E-Class vs. the 2008 CLS 550 we got rid of is a day and night difference, pun intended. The CLS was really in the vanguard of greenhouse destruction in the name of style points and the killing fields never end. Evoque all the things. Fucking sucks.
There was a massive difference going from my GTI to the WRX. The Subaru is so easy to see out of. I like being able to see things.

Also that C pillar and the rising belt line can kids even see out the back of the Mazda 3 hatch? It’s like the Toyota CHR which is a little tykes barf machine.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:29 am

Great in-detail overview of the car. :impressive:
It looks VERY Alfa Romeo Brera ish in this vid. I love the Brera.

:megusta:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:12 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:51 pm

There was a massive difference going from my GTI to the WRX. The Subaru is so easy to see out of. I like being able to see things.

Also that C pillar and the rising belt line can kids even see out the back of the Mazda 3 hatch? It’s like the Toyota CHR which is a little tykes barf machine.
Why look outside when the CF are glued to tablets and smartphones all day long?