OT 15: New Year, New Poo

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:12 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:49 am

I mostly agree with that, but im not talking about now or even 5 years post grad.
I bought a house right out of college, still wet behind the ears. It would have served me well on multiple fronts to pump the brakes on the house thing right out of school. I was also 28 when i graduated college so i was already behind the 8 ball.

Look at olde :wastful: hes got from what i cant tell a couple hundred k saved because he pumped the brakes on the house thing...several times.
I bought a house 3 years post grad and with dick in an account for a savings account. I wanted to be closer to work and monthly expenses ( :wrong: ) balanced out between living in an apartment an hour from work vs living 15 minutes in a house. In essence I earned more personal time, more space, a yard, a garage for the same expense (roughly).

Am I the best at saving? Absolutely not, but I'm also not bad at it either. I have a different mind set that a lot of people here - I prefer to enjoy life while I'm still young and flexible, I'll make adjustments when I start getting brittle. Sure $100k in the bank sounds nice, but not at the expense of living years of life in misery and boredom.

I'm not a huge believer in rentals being the end-all-be-all. For me I prefer the stability of a house, and not arguing with a landlord about parking, some broken shit, raising rent, etc. on top of the potential of moving every year or two because shit's gotten to expensive.

Fuck. All. That. Noise.
:roasted: :truckyeah: :troywax: :nice: :micdrop: :bravo:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

landlords have a 100% of being cheezedicks. Im content enough in situation. I also cant see any rental that has the things my house has. Everything I struggle with now would be worse in a rental situation.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:12 amI'm not a huge believer in rentals being the end-all-be-all. For me I prefer the stability of a house, and not arguing with a landlord about parking, some broken shit, raising rent, etc. on top of the potential of moving every year or two because shit's gotten to expensive.

Fuck. All. That. Noise.
This is a real headache with rentals. IMO the landlords that only have 1-2 apartments are the worst at this shit. Broken stuff stays broken, exterior goes to shit because it's not kept up, and guaranteed to raise your rates and fuck you on security deposit when you leave. After bouncing between many rentals I ended up in a larger apartment complex and it was perfect for me. Package holding, gated parking, everything was fixed quickly, grounds kept up. Happy place to live, right next to the parks. I miss that place.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:49 am

I mostly agree with that, but im not talking about now or even 5 years post grad.
I bought a house right out of college, still wet behind the ears. It would have served me well on multiple fronts to pump the brakes on the house thing right out of school. I was also 28 when i graduated college so i was already behind the 8 ball.

Look at olde :wastful: hes got from what i cant tell a couple hundred k saved because he pumped the brakes on the house thing...several times.
I bought a house 3 years post grad and with dick in a savings account. I wanted to be closer to work and monthly expenses ( :wrong: ) balanced out between living in an apartment an hour from work vs living 15 minutes in a house. In essence I earned more personal time, more space, a yard, a garage for the same expense (roughly).

Am I the best at saving? Absolutely not, but I'm also not bad at it either. I have a different mind set that a lot of people here - I prefer to enjoy life while I'm still young and flexible, I'll make adjustments when I start getting brittle. Sure $100k in the bank sounds nice, but not at the expense of living years of life in misery and boredom.

I'm not a huge believer in rentals being the end-all-be-all. For me I prefer the stability of a house, and not arguing with a landlord about parking, some broken shit, raising rent, etc. on top of the potential of moving every year or two because shit's gotten to expensive.

Fuck. All. That. Noise.
yea those are many of the 'pros' of buying. It seems to fit your needs and wants well, which is important.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:18 am

I bought a house 3 years post grad and with dick in a savings account. I wanted to be closer to work and monthly expenses ( :wrong: ) balanced out between living in an apartment an hour from work vs living 15 minutes in a house. In essence I earned more personal time, more space, a yard, a garage for the same expense (roughly).

Fuck. All. That. Noise.
yea those are many of the 'pros' of buying. It seems to fit your needs and wants well, which is important.
:word:

So really sit down and figure out what your wants and needs are (along with wife and crotch fruit) and build a plan to get there.

This shit ain’t easy, believe me I spent several years in some very very dark places.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:29 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:18 am

So really sit down and figure out what your wants and needs are (along with wife and crotch fruit) and build a plan to get there.

This shit ain’t easy, believe me I spent several years in some very very dark places.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:34 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:00 pm Raining here today, so no park for the dogs, just a walk.

Off day from the gym, so I'll swing by my old place and pack up a few more boxes. Pretty much empty at this point, but need to bring my record console and all my records, record player, and receiver over plus my old bed for the spare room.

Can't wait to watch Johnny sleep in it. Wait, what?
wait i thought your lease was up?
March 3. Michelle’s was up end of Jan, so we’ve had the new place since then. She paid most of that first month rent since she was pushing for the move before mine was up and I chipped in a bit.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:42 pm :drunk: tomorrow is gonna suuuuuuuuuuuuuck
aren't you about to :nope: ?

just :aintcare: brah
:dat:
Work shit doesn't matter any more once you're a confirmed short-timer.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:36 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:42 pm

There is nothing sad about the departure of Caspian.
I think that may have been the first out right ban.
First and only, iirc.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:38 am
wap wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:15 pm

I didn't know, either. They had a nice relationship in the movie, which was nice to see. He was really good in his role. I was impressed.
Dice is hilarious.
I wasn't really a fan when he first got big. Never thought much of his "hickory dickory dock" shit. But he's a :notbad: actor, I'll give him that.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:03 am

wait i thought your lease was up?
March 3. Michelle’s was up end of Jan, so we’ve had the new place since then. She paid most of that first month rent since she was pushing for the move before mine was up and I chipped in a bit.
i i misread, spare br in new place, not the 1br
brain go brrrrrr
wap

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:18 am

yea. I could have lived simply in a 6-700 a month rental vs a house and banked mad cash for two years or more, and been in a better position to buy a house later in life while not feeling tied to a jerb and a mortgage. :rolleyes:
I like having a fenced in yard and a garage. For current life style situation (dogs, multiple cars, motorcycles, tools, trailer, etc, etc, etc) a house just makes sense. I prefer to live now than worry and hope I'm still able to do the things that make me happy down the road.
Agreed. Plus, buying sooner rather than later, assuming you're in a solid position to do so, get's you to that mortgage-free lyfe that much sooner, especially when you consider that your income should rise over the years, making it that much easier to prepay the loan. That worked for us anyway. We bought a year after we married and we paid off our :haus: in 19 years and expect a few decades of no mortgage. :megusta:
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:09 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:03 am

i i misread, spare br in new place, not the 1br
Ah yeah.. there was hardly a spare sqft in the 1br :lol:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:09 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:01 am

cant change shit. its in the past. :eeyore:

First day of college at Drexel. Mechanical Engineering. Saw a guy I went to high school with, he was a total dope, poor grades, not very smart. He was in same major as me. He dropped out after 2 semesters. Too bad, he was a nice guy, just racked up an assload of student debt for literally nothing.

And then everyone going back for advanced degrees. I guess that pays off in medical and legal fields. Unlikely to pay in other fields.
But that said, LOT of jobs will want undergraduate degree. Especially when you go on interview, you are competing against with some people that has better credentials and experience. Speaking as someone who just has an associate myself and wrapping on my undergrad bachelors, who goes to interviews left and right.

Also do you know what that guy does for a living right now?
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 am

I like having a fenced in yard and a garage. For current life style situation (dogs, multiple cars, motorcycles, tools, trailer, etc, etc, etc) a house just makes sense. I prefer to live now than worry and hope I'm still able to do the things that make me happy down the road.
Agreed. Plus, buying sooner rather than later, assuming you're in a solid position to do so, get's you to that mortgage-free lyfe that much sooner, especially when you consider that your income should rise over the years, making it that much easier to prepay the loan. That worked for us anyway. We bought a year after we married and we paid off our :haus: in 19 years and expect a few decades of no mortgage. :megusta:
Aiming to set a new record for oldest independently living couple?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

thats not the new americant way. you need a new house every 5 years. bigger. better. further from the city and the terrible skools.
brain go brrrrrr
wap

dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:14 am

I bought a house 3 years post grad and with dick in an account for a savings account. I wanted to be closer to work and monthly expenses ( :wrong: ) balanced out between living in an apartment an hour from work vs living 15 minutes in a house. In essence I earned more personal time, more space, a yard, a garage for the same expense (roughly).

Fuck. All. That. Noise.
:roasted: :truckyeah: :troywax: :nice: :micdrop: :bravo:
:dat:
It's all about balance. Same some. Live some. How much you do of each is up to your individual situation. Also, I've rented. It sucks even in nicer places. So agreed also on the bolded.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:16 am

That would be sweet. Plan on living in our :haus: until our knees make it impossible to negotiate the stairs.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:16 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:09 am

First day of college at Drexel. Mechanical Engineering. Saw a guy I went to high school with, he was a total dope, poor grades, not very smart. He was in same major as me. He dropped out after 2 semesters. Too bad, he was a nice guy, just racked up an assload of student debt for literally nothing.

And then everyone going back for advanced degrees. I guess that pays off in medical and legal fields. Unlikely to pay in other fields.
But that said, LOT of jobs will want undergraduate degree. Especially when you go on interview, you are competing against with some people that has better credentials and experience. Speaking as someone who just has an associate myself and wrapping on my undergrad bachelors, who goes to interviews left and right.

Also do you know what that guy does for a living right now?
No idea. Don't really remember his name either.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:19 am

thats not the new americant way. you need a new house every 5 years. bigger. better. further from the city and the terrible skools.
That's :fullretard:
SAWCE

wap wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:37 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:16 am

That would be sweet. Plan on living in our :haus: until our knees make it impossible to negotiate the stairs.
Don't let that slow you down!

wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:43 am
wap wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:37 am

Don't let that slow you down!

Yea that might be an option some day. :lol:
SAWCE

Storming pretty bad right now. We've temporarily lost power in weaker storms before at work. Maybe we'll get hit really hard and get sent home today :excited:
Johnny_P

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47245877

So Amazon isn't going to build in NYC now. Because they're not giving them enough concessions and tax breaks I guess? Man.... fuck that company. No city should have to give the richest man in the world tax breaks. Bezos is worth $150bn last I checked.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:22 pm https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47245877

So Amazon isn't going to build in NYC now. Because they're not giving them enough concessions and tax breaks I guess? Man.... fuck that company. No city should have to give the richest man in the world tax breaks. Bezos is worth $150bn last I checked.
Maybe they realized that NY has the highest taxes in the country? Even with breaks it's probably still :fullretard:

I really don't understand why anyone lives or does business in this state.