House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:03 pm
wap wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:58 pm Arborvitaes don't drop needles :doe:
Sweet! Do they get groomed like cedar hedges? Maybe wouldn't hurt to put some in my back yard for some extra coverage.
Not really necessary that often. They're pretty slow growing and they tend to keep their shape pretty good. I've had a few for about 9 years now and I've just given them a "haircut" once a couple years ago, though I probably should have done it twice. I'll probably do it again this summer.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Our shit gets covered in needles for 2/3 of the year. :doomed:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:07 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:03 pm

Sweet! Do they get groomed like cedar hedges? Maybe wouldn't hurt to put some in my back yard for some extra coverage.
Not really necessary that often. They're pretty slow growing and they tend to keep their shape pretty good. I've had a few for about 9 years now and I've just given them a "haircut" once a couple years ago, though I probably should have done it twice. I'll probably do it again this summer.
Most are slow growing. The green Giants pictured aren't...they'll grow 3 feet a year under ideal conditions. They'll should also be touching one another in 2 year's time.

They don't have needles to drop, and they don't produce sap. They also grow tall and narrow, so they're great for privacy.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

And we plan on taking the hedger to them every few years to keep them tidy as they grow.

The biggest downfall of arborvitaes is they seem to die easy when first planting them. We've had bad luck at past houses.

You can't water them enough, and we'll be dumping coffee grounds and egg shells under them for the rest of the year.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:popcorn:

Nice space to work with!
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 am :popcorn:

Nice space to work with!
Thanks! It's what really drew us to this street, the yard is .3 acres, which is massive for something so close to the City.

We're planning a paver patio off the side of the garage with string lights and an outdoor kitchen against the garage that I can put the ceramic grill in. Then a firepit almost in the center of the yard, then grass to the house.

Hoping to have it all done by the middle of the summer, but we'll see...
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:05 am
coogles wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 am :popcorn:

Nice space to work with!
Thanks! It's what really drew us to this street, the yard is .3 acres, which is massive for something so close to the City.

We're planning a paver patio off the side of the garage with string lights and an outdoor kitchen against the garage that I can put the ceramic grill in. Then a firepit almost in the center of the yard, then grass to the house.

Yeah, that's a huge lot for a house that age. Ours is .35 acres and we are...not close to the city.

Sounds like a boss plan. I will say, our old house had a paver patio out by the garage and it was not my favorite setup. I find it much easier to have the outdoor space up against the house at the new place. For 1, there's less tree shit that falls closer to the house and it's easier to keep the space clean. And 2, it's just easier to get to when entertaining or running to and from the kitchen while preparing food, etc. That said, if the sun bakes the back of your house and there's more cover out by the garage, I still might go for that. Just my $.02.

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:31 am
wap wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:07 pm

Most are slow growing. The green Giants pictured aren't...they'll grow 3 feet a year under ideal conditions. They'll should also be touching one another in 2 year's time.

They don't have needles to drop, and they don't produce sap. They also grow tall and narrow, so they're great for privacy.
:impressive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:22 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:05 am

Yeah, that's a huge lot for a house that age. Ours is .35 acres and we are...not close to the city.

Sounds like a boss plan. I will say, our old house had a paver patio out by the garage and it was not my favorite setup. I find it much easier to have the outdoor space up against the house at the new place. For 1, there's less tree shit that falls closer to the house and it's easier to keep the space clean. And 2, it's just easier to get to when entertaining or running to and from the kitchen while preparing food, etc. That said, if the sun bakes the back of your house and there's more cover out by the garage, I still might go for that. Just my $.02.

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Yea, we've been debating the placement as well. I will say that the backside of the house is south facing and gets intense sun all the time. Next to the garage would provide excellent sun relief in the afternoon when the sun's the hottest.

Building a "kitchen" with a counter off the side should help avoid going in the house all the time. Maybe even put a cheap mini fridge out there to keep essentials in for the summer. Still a bit undecided TBH.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Seriously thinking that the time is near for me to buy and :gtfo: of this state.

Just wondering if housing prices are going to start falling or not. We know the house we want built, and where we want it.. Just don't want to drop the cash and have it lose $100k or more a month after we move in.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:52 pm Seriously thinking that the time is near for me to buy and :gtfo: of this state.

Just wondering if housing prices are going to start falling or not. We know the house we want built, and where we want it.. Just don't want to drop the cash and have it lose $100k or more a month after we move in.
Its probably best to wait UNLESS you think you can sell your current home at anything near its current appraisal. They are bound to fall, sharply id imagine.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Unless you own your house outright, lotta banks flipped the script on loans. Mandatory good credit and 20% down are back on the table. Dries the buyer pool up.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

dubshow wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:28 pm Unless you own your house outright, lotta banks flipped the script on loans. Mandatory good credit and 20% down are back on the table. Dries the buyer pool up.
They were really starting to hand money out like candy again. I still remain curious about how quickly (or slowly) we recover from this.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:28 pm Unless you own your house outright, lotta banks flipped the script on loans. Mandatory good credit and 20% down are back on the table. Dries the buyer pool up.
Neither are a problem for us, both have 850 FICO and I'm going to put about $500k down on a roughly $750k house. Will sell the one we are in whenever it sells, even if we have to keep it empty a few years.

Makes sense they are tightening the belt, after the mid-2000's fiasco of lending undocumented, unemployed people $1M for houses here and never getting a single payment, they must have learned their lesson.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:37 pm
Neither are a problem for us, both have 850 FICO and I'm going to put about $500k down on a roughly $750k house. Will sell the one we are in whenever it sells, even if we have to keep it empty a few years.

Makes sense they are tightening the belt, after the mid-2000's fiasco of lending undocumented, unemployed people $1M for houses here and never getting a single payment, they must have learned their lesson.
Still doing the Hurricane thing?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:40 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:37 pm

Yeah, talked to the Internet company again to confirm this morning, the houses are connected with fiber to the house and the provider supplies uncapped gigabit fiber for..... $65/month. Insane.

Talked to the builder's real estate agent and he said we could have them do anything custom, or hire a contractor on our own to do custom work while the build happens. Probably going to get a company out there to spec out my network infrastructure, POE camera wiring and theater room.

Just need to get the final word from my boss before we step into this. I am just not sure if it makes sense to wait a bit longer since I'm pretty sure new sales have dried up for them and we can at the least get some discounts on the upgrades. Possibly even get a lot upgrade. The agent seemed pretty willing to talk about possibilities.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:54 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:40 pm

Yeah, talked to the Internet company again to confirm this morning, the houses are connected with fiber to the house and the provider supplies uncapped gigabit fiber for..... $65/month. Insane.

Talked to the builder's real estate agent and he said we could have them do anything custom, or hire a contractor on our own to do custom work while the build happens. Probably going to get a company out there to spec out my network infrastructure, POE camera wiring and theater room.

Just need to get the final word from my boss before we step into this. I am just not sure if it makes sense to wait a bit longer since I'm pretty sure new sales have dried up for them and we can at the least get some discounts on the upgrades. Possibly even get a lot upgrade. The agent seemed pretty willing to talk about possibilities.
Can you review the thought process on this for me? I mean, it's close to Vegas, which you seem to enjoy, but it's also in Utah, which offers a blend of amazing scenery and weird views towards alcohol and other forms of fun. What happened to the other options? This isn't a :wtf: question, it's pure curiosity.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:18 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:54 pm

Can you review the thought process on this for me? I mean, it's close to Vegas, which you seem to enjoy, but it's also in Utah, which offers a blend of amazing scenery and weird views towards alcohol and other forms of fun. What happened to the other options? This isn't a :wtf: question, it's pure curiosity.
Well, it's close to Zion, and beautiful scenery as you said.
It is close to Vegas, but stays cooler. Roughly the same temps as I have now in the far, far east bay area.
No real snow, ever (requirement of the wife, and why she decided no Idaho).
Prices are good.
Nice new custom homes.
Right next to a 130k acre OHV park.
I already have a Utah CCW permit, just need to convert from non-resident to resident.
I fit in with the political climate there a bit better, although there are more Trumpians there. One dude flys a Yuuuuuge Trump 2020 flag in front of his house, like something you'd see at a car dealer... Even the real estate agent that lives in the neighborhood said everyone is like :wtf: to that guy, even the people that like Trump.
Taxes are low enough.
Cars are cheap to register. The 911 ran me $1400 to register here in January, in Utah it will be about $300.
Where we want to buy they allow OHV's, Dirt bikes, SxS, etc on the streets since it is close to the OHV park.
Tons of places to shoot.
Very few people.

I could go on and on for quite some time. the only thing that slightly concerns me is the alcohol thing you mentioned, but it's not like you can't buy it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:42 pm

It is close to Vegas, but stays cooler. Roughly the same temps as I have now in the far, far east bay area.
Prices are good.
Nice new custom homes.
I already have a Utah CCW permit, just need to convert from non-resident to resident.
I fit in with the political climate there a bit better, although there are more Trumpians there. One dude flys a Yuuuuuge Trump 2020 flag in front of his house, like something you'd see at a car dealer... Even the real estate agent that lives in the neighborhood said everyone is like :wtf: to that guy, even the people that like Trump.
Taxes are low enough.
Cars are cheap to register. The 911 ran me $1400 to register here in January, in Utah it will be about $300.
Where we want to buy they allow OHV's, Dirt bikes, SxS, etc on the streets since it is close to the OHV park.
Tons of places to shoot.

I could go on and on for quite some time. the only thing that slightly concerns me is the alcohol thing you mentioned, but it's not like you can't buy it.
Very few people.
Didn't know this was a thing with you. Got house plans you can share?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Prices are good.
Nice new custom homes.
Taxes are low enough.
Tons of places to shoot.
Very few people.

Do they have homes for poor people? :lol:

Sounds ideal if I could WFH for the foreseeable future.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:48 pm

Prices are good.
Nice new custom homes.
Taxes are low enough.
Tons of places to shoot.

Very few people.
I haven't done the OHV thing in forever, mostly due to lack of convenience.

I will pull the plans for the base house together and post them. Nothing too crazy. 4k square feet, 3 car garage + RV garage.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:gaydance:
Apex wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:45 pm

Prices are good.
Nice new custom homes.
Taxes are low enough.
Tons of places to shoot.
Very few people.

You can get something in the very low 400's there for something about 2200 square feet with a 3 car garage and a bunch of upgrades.

Yeah remote work, retirement or a business is the only way to go there.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:13 pm :gaydance:

You can get something in the very low 400's there for something about 2200 square feet with a 3 car garage and a bunch of upgrades.

:notbad:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:13 pm :gaydance:

That sounds perfect if more places would allow remote work.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:10 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:48 pm

I haven't done the OHV thing in forever, mostly due to lack of convenience.

I will pull the plans for the base house together and post them. Nothing too crazy. 4k square feet, 6 car garage + RV garage.
:zing: