Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Tar wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:53 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:59 pm :fuckyeah:
Real buttons coming back, at least to the steering wheel.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/vw-brings ... s-complain
Good, those recent design elements were loosing support faster then Biden's woke strategies. Goodbye
Great news. I'm sure I'll have another vw one day, and man i HATE the glass cockpit. I like having the ONE screen that does things, but i want physical controls for air, heated seats, radio, and EVERYTHING on the wheel itself.

Wait for the reversal on the electric cars when the price of minerals they use spikes. GM has a good product here but still use a lot of nickel.
Our Ultium battery cells feature a state-of-the-art Nickel Cobalt Manganese Aluminum (NCMA) chemistry, which was designed to reduce the cobalt content in our batteries by more than 70 percent.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Volkswagen has been listening. All of the complaints, from both customers and media members, about its move to touch-sensitive steering wheel and interior buttons have been heard and VW is getting rid of them. Thomas Schäfer, Volkswagen AG board member, recently confirmed on LinkedIn that physical steering wheel buttons are making a comeback.

"We are sharpening our portfolio and our design, plus creating a new simplicity in operating our vehicles. For example, we are bringing back the push-button steering wheel! That’s what customers want from VW." Schäfer said.
Hopefully that promise extends to the other dash controls, as well.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:15 pm That's gotta be a test unit.

Screens are getting out of hand. They have to be reaching the point of being distractions in and of themselves. At Stellanus, product "planning" was obsessed with beating other's total screen size. Yes, I had to compile competitive data to sum screen sizes and put plans together to beat them in my products. And this is just the beginning, insanity is coming down the pipe. Eventually the entire dashboard from driver door to passenger door will be a single screen.

It's :disgust: I'll stick with my screen-less 22 year old homeless truck thank you very much.
The sad thing is that it is entirely plausible to not be a test unit simply because the "tablet glued to dash" look has been a staple design feature for a little while now across all manufacturers.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:56 am
:dat:

So is VW now the third manufacturer to go capacitive buttons and then switch back after Honduh and Cadillac?

I never bought all the copium from Mk8 owners. The system is straight up trash and everyone knows it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

It's always nice to see a company admit they made a mistake and move forward with something better rather than die on the hill like BMW with the new front grills :gag:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Indeed. The quote seemed to infer that but :notsure:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:38 am

So is VW now the third manufacturer to go capacitive buttons and then switch back after Honduh and Cadillac?

I never bought all the copium from Mk8 owners. The system is straight up trash and everyone knows it.
Do you like the dash screen more than the analog gauges of the MK7? I've been meaning to get your take on the differences now that you've lived with both.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tar wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:20 pm

Do you like the dash screen more than the analog gauges of the MK7? I've been meaning to get your take on the differences now that you've lived with both.
I'm indifferent. The only thing the screen really adds is the map in the gauge cluster but when I'm using navigation it's google maps from carplay so :whocares:

It functions the exactly the same as the center MFD from Mk7. There's just more space for stuff depending on what you're looking at like music or driving info.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

My mom had a 2018 Tiguan SE R-Line lease that she traded in for a 2022 SEL Tiguan R-Line and it has all the bells and whistles. The haptic stuff is NOT BAD but it's NOT GOOD either. I hate if I accidentally swipe the buttons on the wheel it pulls up different displays, but it's definitely not a parasitic thing. I do prefer the physical buttons I had on my GTI, though.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I've always thought I'd hate the dash screen thing but after recently renting a BMW and Audi with it... it's :thisisfine: It's certainly not better than regular gauges but it gets the job done effectively nonetheless, I've got no issue with it after experiencing in real life.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

https://www.thedrive.com/news/vws-r-bad ... 030-report

VW’s R Badge To Become EV-Only Sub-Brand by 2030: Report
.....What this does mean is that it’s unlikely that we’ll ever see electric-powered R’s on lots next to gas-powered variants of the same car. It’s also unlikely that the R sub-brand moves forward on building its own models and will instead stick strictly to high-powered variants of already-existing VW cars. That last point is a tough one to swallow; VW’s made a big deal about its MEB platform and its flexibility for others to build from, which should be an easy showcase with its own performance marque.
RIP
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:04 pm

I've always thought I'd hate the dash screen thing but after recently renting a BMW and Audi with it... it's :thisisfine: It's certainly not better than regular gauges but it gets the job done effectively nonetheless, I've got no issue with it after experiencing in real life.
I drove my friends X5 recently and it had one of those "power meters" instead of a tach. Couldn't figure out how to get rid of it in normal mode so I just left it in sport which brought the tach back. The power meter seems so :butwhy: . I guess it's for :derp:

:wtf: is going on at BMW
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:42 am https://www.thedrive.com/news/vws-r-bad ... 030-report

.....What this does mean is that it’s unlikely that we’ll ever see electric-powered R’s on lots next to gas-powered variants of the same car. It’s also unlikely that the R sub-brand moves forward on building its own models and will instead stick strictly to high-powered variants of already-existing VW cars. That last point is a tough one to swallow; VW’s made a big deal about its MEB platform and its flexibility for others to build from, which should be an easy showcase with its own performance marque.
RIP
:pouroneout:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:47 am

I drove my friends X5 recently and it had one of those "power meters" instead of a tach. Couldn't figure out how to get rid of it in normal mode so I just left it in sport which brought the tach back. The power meter seems so :butwhy: . I guess it's for :derp:

:wtf: is going on at BMW
The 330i I recently rented had a way to cycle through a bunch of options on the gauges, including switching the tach for the power/torque display. As far as I recall, you could do it independent of mode, but I don't remember the exact procedure. Usually I go into sport mode by default though, at least in my 328i, it's pretty damn terrible in comfort mode, the throttle mapping is trash.

The 330i did have the backwards tach :doe: which I guess works but is very :butwhy: to me. It's just a pointless thing to get used to when the other way worked perfectly well... much like their dumb automatic shifter.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:42 am https://www.thedrive.com/news/vws-r-bad ... 030-report

RIP
:whocares:

All companies are saying everything all EV by then. They're probably just trying to boost MK8 sales.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I'm curious how these things will act when they're 20 years old. In the S10, when I disconnect the battery to do work, the speedo pegs at 100 for some reason. I reconnect the battery, start the truck, and as soon as I get to ~20mph, the speedo springs back to the correct speed and it's fine from there on out. The temp gauge also fluctuates between too cold and operating temp for no reason.

Screens wouldn't do this, and might actually be a bit more reliable? Or a sensor dies and the thing is completely wasted. Going to be very interesting.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:08 am

RIP

All companies are saying everything all EV by then. They're probably just trying to boost MK8 sales.
There isn't enough lithium to support this much volume, but everyone will just kick that can until they can't anymore.

All this industry EV news is so out of touch with reality. Everyone seems to think that the last few years are the new normal, money is infinite, and people will be lining up to buy any EV they can get their hands on forever.

THAT'S NOT TRUE. The only reason EVs have been hot lately is because EVERYTHING in the industry has been hot, and there's very few EVs on the market and people take what they can get. More volume and EV types will just crowd the market and challenge demand.

Same goes for no dealer inventory :yeahok: and online ordering :yeahok:

The auto industry is still way too knee-jerk reactionary, and these last few years have really set it up for :nuke:

:popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:17 am

There isn't enough lithium to support this much volume, but everyone will just kick that can until they can't anymore.

All this industry EV news is so out of touch with reality. Everyone seems to think that the last few years are the new normal, money is infinite, and people will be lining up to buy any EV they can get their hands on forever.

THAT'S NOT TRUE. The only reason EVs have been hot lately is because EVERYTHING in the industry has been hot, and there's very few EVs on the market and people take what they can get. More volume and EV types will just crowd the market and challenge demand.

The auto industry is still way too knee-jerk reactionary, and these last few years have really set it up for :nuke:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:11 am

I'm curious how these things will act when they're 20 years old. In the S10, when I disconnect the battery to do work, the speedo pegs at 100 for some reason. I reconnect the battery, start the truck, and as soon as I get to ~20mph, the speedo springs back to the correct speed and it's fine from there on out. The temp gauge also fluctuates between too cold and operating temp for no reason.

Screens wouldn't do this, and might actually be a bit more reliable? Or a sensor dies and the thing is completely wasted. Going to be very interesting.
I actually suspect they will be more reliable. Screens seem to more or less last indefinitely on things like laptops, phones, etc. and I would assume auto manufacturers would use reasonable quality. There's just less moving parts there to break and it's ultimately a less complex system.

That said, I believe many other things will be less reliable and even more critically very costly to repair. Like all of the self driving tech - radar cruise, lane keep assist, etc. there are a ton of sensors and components making these work and if any of that breaks I could see it causing the vehicle to basically :nuke: itself for 'safety'. You also have so much being computer controlled that small issues could wind up :nuke: things as well.

Say your speedo example in the S10... you can just drive it that way pretty much NFG even if it didn't self fix and sure, it would be a tad inconvenient on the highway but otherwise :aintcare: S10 gets a dead battery? Push start the thing and off you go. Bad spark plug or other thing? You could drive it, albeit shittily, down a cylinder most likely. On something new any of these mishaps can completely ground the vehicle and make a field repair impossible. The days of the shoestring throttle are over.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:17 am

:notwrong: :notwrong: :notwrong:
:notwrong: :popcorn: :notwrong:
:notwrong: :notwrong: :notwrong:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Did the 40th AE GTI get posted up? Looks nice. Dad sent me an article about it yesterday. Only thing I didn’t love were the 19” wheels with the time attack stripe around the rim.

Sister and BIL are considering hanging onto the Allroad, so if that doesn’t happen I’d be tempted to grab one of these. I’m pretty over the poverty H :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:31 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:11 am

I actually suspect they will be more reliable. Screens seem to more or less last indefinitely on things like laptops, phones, etc. and I would assume auto manufacturers would use reasonable quality. There's just less moving parts there to break and it's ultimately a less complex system.

That said, I believe many other things will be less reliable and even more critically very costly to repair. Like all of the self driving tech - radar cruise, lane keep assist, etc. there are a ton of sensors and components making these work and if any of that breaks I could see it causing the vehicle to basically :nuke: itself for 'safety'. You also have so much being computer controlled that small issues could wind up :nuke: things as well.

Say your speedo example in the S10... you can just drive it that way pretty much NFG even if it didn't self fix and sure, it would be a tad inconvenient on the highway but otherwise :aintcare: S10 gets a dead battery? Push start the thing and off you go. Bad spark plug or other thing? You could drive it, albeit shittily, down a cylinder most likely. On something new any of these mishaps can completely ground the vehicle and make a field repair impossible. The days of the shoestring throttle are over.
The low pressure AC switch died so we lost AC on our way home in the S10. I jumped the connector with a bobby pin during a fill up at a gas station and we had AC the rest of the time. That ain't happening with a modern vehicle, in fact a bad AC switch might kill the entire thing for "safety" as you said...it will want to protect the AC compressor or whatever (I diagnosed my problem with an AC Recharge gauge so I knew the system had pressure and the switch was bad). Same goes for the distributor cap failure. If it hadn't shorted out on that random trans vent, it would have driven us home (albeit poorly as the cap was cracked). Remarkable how older vehicles are pretty resilient in ways new models aren't. The S10 also doesn't ding incessantly at you if you or your passenger isn't wearing a seat belt, and you can open a door when in gear without the thing FREAKING out. Push starting is another :lolol: I actually try to park on inclines when possible so just in case the battery dies, I don't need to pop the hood and jump it to start it.

It's incredible how much "innovation" is really just catering to the lowest common denominator for "safety". If I'm driving through the neighborhood to go to the boat, not exceeding 25 mph, do I REALLY need my seatbelt on? And not just me, everyone in the vehicle?

At least I do believe gayges will be more reliable as screens. Assuming there isn't a software glitch that makes the entire thing blank (happened to my work laptop this morning).
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:26 pm Did the 40th AE GTI get posted up? Looks nice. Dad sent me an article about it yesterday. Only thing I didn’t love were the 19” wheels with the time attack stripe around the rim.

Sister and BIL are considering hanging onto the Allroad, so if that doesn’t happen I’d be tempted to grab one of these. I’m pretty over the poverty H :lol:
Just upgrade from the poverty H to the :waxer: H in the Elantra N.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:48 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:26 pm Did the 40th AE GTI get posted up? Looks nice. Dad sent me an article about it yesterday. Only thing I didn’t love were the 19” wheels with the time attack stripe around the rim.

Just upgrade from the poverty H to the :waxer: H in the Elantra N.
:notwrong:
ChrisoftheNorth

:notbad:

19's are :flaccid: :doe: but should be easy to swap. Could probably make money selling them off.