Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:48 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:03 pm

Nope. That’s just on 93 octane.
Wild... a 361 HP GTI would certainly be interesting to drive. Fortunately they seem to have worked out most of the wheel hop and chronic understeer issues with the MK8 generation, but that is still a lot of power for FWD. I also wonder how much that impacts long term reliability, that must be a lot of boost to hit 200 HP/liter.

:nope:

It's cool though, GTI with cash on the hood and huge powah.
Whatever turbos they're using now for the GTI and R must be big. I thought the gains on Mk7 were solid with just a tune but this seems bonkers.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:03 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:19 pm Are no other supporting mods needed to support that horsepower gain?
Nope. That’s just on 93 octane.
I hope the stock mounts are improved
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:43 pm :tuna: are starting to come out for Mk8. :ohmy:

Those poor clutches. 100+ hp on just t00n seems :ludacris:

Stage 1+ on an R is 446 hp.

Stage 1+ on a GTI is 361 hp.

Seems to be tuned to the moon… so this removes the factory regular fuel tune which by itself is probably 20’wheel hp….

Also I have no idea how the gti will put any of this power down outside of a 40Mph + roll on the freeway. I have never driven a fwd car with more than 250whp that can actually put the power down without nasty wheel hop.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Also what’s 1+ ? Intercooler + intake ?

That’s mad fast though… my prediction … those 450 wheel hp engines will blow the fuck up before 100k miles for sure. No way can they handle that sort of power reliably long term… that’s just not enough displacement and way too much heat to put through the factory 2 liters of combustion.
Bearings… pistons… valves will all be stressed into oblivion… but a “safe” +30-50whp tune may be the way to go for that extra little oomph
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:16 pm Also what’s 1+ ? Intercooler + intake ?

That’s mad fast though… my prediction … those 450 wheel hp engines will blow the fuck up before 100k miles for sure. No way can they handle that sort of power reliably long term… that’s just not enough displacement and way too much heat to put through the factory 2 liters of combustion.
Bearings… pistons… valves will all be stressed into oblivion… but a “safe” +30-50whp tune may be the way to go for that extra little oomph
1+ is just software on 93. Intercooler is recommended but not required.

IIRC while the blocks were the same between GTI and R, the R had a reinforced head. More forged parts and whatnot to handle the extra power. I don’t know what the differences are on Mk8 but those power numbers are just :mindblown:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Speaking of shitton of power on a 4 banger, I'm just :popcorn: on what will happen on 4 cylinder AMG's with 400 hp stock. Should be interesting. CLA45 was almost at that example not too long ago.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Duty cycle is critical factor in this calculation you are leaving out here.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

More info on VW's capacitive button fix.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4208 ... %20Openers

Software fixes come first.
Schäfer confirmed back in October via a Linkedin post VW's steering wheels would be getting an overhaul. Now we know the rest of the interior will have the same problems addressed.

"The hardware changes will come through from early 2024," Schäfer added. "[Revised] steering wheels are from next year, the new Tiguan will be the start."
:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:24 pm

1+ is just software on 93. Intercooler is recommended but not required.

IIRC while the blocks were the same between GTI and R, the R had a reinforced head. More forged parts and whatnot to handle the extra power. I don’t know what the differences are on Mk8 but those power numbers are just :mindblown:
I'm always skeptical of dyno hero runs. It's like the guys at the drag strip with the clapped-out CRX boast about their 11.50 run, but fail to mention sending a rod through the block on their next go. I admittedly don't know too much about the 2.0's internal components, but I would think that a person adding triple digit power must still adhere to the principles of thermal dynamics and laws of physics regardless if the power is added via hardware or software.

My main concerns would be fueling, cooling the intake charge, overall cooling capacity, crankcase pressure, and lifting a head.
Huckleberry

wap wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:54 pm More info on VW's capacitive button fix.

Schäfer confirmed back in October via a Linkedin post VW's steering wheels would be getting an overhaul. Now we know the rest of the interior will have the same problems addressed.

"The hardware changes will come through from early 2024," Schäfer added. "[Revised] steering wheels are from next year, the new Tiguan will be the start."
Noice. That lines up nicely with my 2025 timeline of looking at an R. Of course, if the Rabbit keeps going the way it is, I may just hang onto it for longer and extend my ride on the no car payment train.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:16 am
wap wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:54 pm More info on VW's capacitive button fix.

Noice. That lines up nicely with my 2025 timeline of looking at an R. Of course, if the Rabbit keeps going the way it is, I may just hang onto it for longer and extend my ride on the no car payment train.
:word:
No payment life is a good thing. But I am encouraged about the changes/fixes VW is talking about.

Now if they'd just bring over the Mk8 GSW...
Huckleberry

wap wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:17 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:16 am

No payment life is a good thing. But I am encouraged about the changes/fixes VW is talking about.

Indeed. I would love a good :manuel: wagon, but I feel like that's something I will have to build myself.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:39 pm
wap wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:17 pm

Indeed. I would love a good :manuel: wagon, but I feel like that's something I will have to build myself.
You'd be just the guy to do it, too! :like:
Huckleberry

wap wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:57 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:39 pm

I've been browsing wagons out of curiosity.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:21 pm
wap wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:57 pm

I've been browsing wagons out of curiosity.
:popcorn: