:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:21 pm I'll be driving on summerz in 20F temps in a couple of hours :triggered: :fuckyeah:
Tokyo Griff is the hero we deserve
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:13 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:10 pm

None of those were on pavement and their :truk: is only 35% heavier than their car.

How is it clear at all? The difference between compounds goes down on (dry) pavement, regardless of temperature. The difference between vehicles goes up dramatically as you increase the weight difference.

Neither result is going to be "good" but you're greatly overestimating your sports :truk: as usual.
And you're greatly underestimating it.

:triggered:
So you're right because you say you're right and are unwilling to provide evidence nor test your claims?

I didn't know you were a :thankstrump: supporter. :disgust:

Dry stopping distance between the :truk: on AT's and car on summers is 98 vs 75 ft in regular temps.

Add a couple to the :truk: for the few extra lbs you have over their tester.

Subtract a few for the extra lbs the luxosedan carries over the sports car.

Drop the temp and they both start adding distance... but if you're starting at a ~40% longer distance for the :truk: at "good" temperatures, it's going to take a lot to close that gap.

Annoyingly I cannot find an objective test of any summer tire on cold dry pavement, the closest you can get is to look at autox or race results from cold dry events. You'll see that the stickiest summer tires are still faster than all seasons or winters at the disgustingly cold early/late season events, even when it's below freezing.
troyguitar

That's all without even considering that the :truk: is significantly more nose-heavy which adds to stopping distances for a given weight, so the mass disparity adds even more to the initial gap in reality...

:truk: :truk: :truk:
troyguitar

This here illustrates the difference between my attitude and that of apparently everyone else:

I don't care who's right on this, I'm just curious to see the answer. The point of the argument is to learn something, in this case something which is actually relevant to our daily lives... Why would you not want to know the answer?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I'm sure winter tires are way better in the cold but it's really not a big deal if it's occasional and you're careful.

Cold temps made my rental Jetta a lot more enjoyable.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:53 pm

I’d take the 456. That’s coming from someone that has driven a 308 QV. There’s little to no performance driving to be had in the 308/328. Theyre emotion cars at this point and I think the V12 would be more fun and comfy.
I confused the 308 and 328. I think the 308 is the better looking car, but 308 4V>328>308
Same car. It got the bigger 3.2L V8 in 1986.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_328

Also:
The 328 is considered by some Ferrari enthusiasts to be one of the most reliable Ferraris; unlike some models, most engine maintenance can be performed without lowering the engine from the vehicle.
:notbad:

Maybe you're thinking of the 348? That car was :disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:42 pm I'm sure winter tires are way better in the cold but it's really not a big deal if it's occasional and you're careful.

Cold temps made my rental Jetta a lot more enjoyable.
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:42 pm This here illustrates the difference between my attitude and that of apparently everyone else:

I don't care who's right on this, I'm just curious to see the answer. The point of the argument is to learn something, in this case something which is actually relevant to our daily lives... Why would you not want to know the answer?
I thought the answer was determined.

:truk: is worthless, car is always better on any tire.

Did I miss something?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Davestr wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:19 am I like how this thread has devolved into a Ferrari pissing battle. 2018 rocks!!!
:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:48 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:42 pm This here illustrates the difference between my attitude and that of apparently everyone else:

Did I miss something?
You seem so absolutely certain that you're right, I assumed you have access to test data that I can't find...

What makes you think that the AT compound is so much better in cold dry conditions that it makes up for a ~40% gap in normal dry conditions?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Did I miss something?
You seem so absolutely certain that you're right, I assumed you have access to test data that I can't find...

What makes you think that the AT compound is so much better in cold dry conditions that it makes up for a ~40% gap in normal dry conditions?
Golden shocks + cir 1902 leaf springs = WINZ
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:21 pm I'll be driving on summerz in 20F temps in a couple of hours :triggered: :fuckyeah:
It is dangerous to do so. Should have bought a :truk: instead.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:06 pm
It is dangerous to do so. Should have bought a :truk: instead.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:03 pm

Golden shocks + cir 1902 leaf springs = WINZ
Much spool valves. Such F1 tech. Wow.
ChrisoftheNorth

Did I miss something?

The tires have a snow rating...there's a snowflake on the sidewall that indicates it, which shows it has tread design and compound that supports snow, ice, and low temps.

The low temp compound is superior to rock hard summer compound...but whether or not it makes up for the mass, I'm not sure.

And since :math: lives matter, it's "only" a 48% increase in mass, not 100% like you were stating (3,100 lbs vs 4,600 lbs).
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

wap wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:50 pm
Davestr wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:19 am I like how this thread has devolved into a Ferrari pissing battle. 2018 rocks!!!
:lolol:
:trollface:
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:46 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 pm

I confused the 308 and 328. I think the 308 is the better looking car, but 308 4V>328>308
Same car. It got the bigger 3.2L V8 in 1986.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_328

Also:
The 328 is considered by some Ferrari enthusiasts to be one of the most reliable Ferraris; unlike some models, most engine maintenance can be performed without lowering the engine from the vehicle.
:notbad:

Maybe you're thinking of the 348? That car was :disgust:
328 is the last one you can work on yourself.
ChrisoftheNorth

I would so much love to have a 328.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 pm

The tires have a snow rating...there's a snowflake on the sidewall that indicates it, which shows it has tread design and compound that supports snow, ice, and low temps.

The low temp compound is superior to rock hard summer compound...but whether or not it makes up for the mass, I'm not sure.

And since :math: lives matter, it's "only" a 48% increase in mass, not 100% like you were stating (3,100 lbs vs 4,600 lbs).
Snowflake means kids don't die. Data checks out. :truk:
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:46 pm I would so much love to have a 328.

328 is the one that I want for a fun street car. If I really had the budget to buy one for autox/track, then sure give me a 430/458 but that's more than I'll ever be able to afford, pal. 456? :butwhy:
troyguitar

I bet it would come down to which two specific tires were tested and what temperature "cold" really meant... which is why it's interesting.
Johnny_P

I'd take a 308 over a 328. The interior is a lot cooler with the airplane style toggle switches. Performance ain't drastically different, you're still going to get creamed by a stock :mk6:
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:49 pm
I'd take a 308 over a 328. The interior is a lot cooler with the airplane style toggle switches. Performance ain't drastically different, you're still going to get creamed by a stock :mk6:
:turboyaris: driver won't even hit the throttle :doe: because he'll want to check out the red pony.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:49 pm

:turboyaris: driver won't even hit the throttle :doe: because he'll want to check out the red pony.
They really don't handle all that well either. It's a be-seen-in car at this point. A drama machine. It's good for that but I think you'd get very :disgust: at it in no time. Also, the seating position is basically :mahtroy: lean and the steering wheel doesn't adjust. And the transmissions sound fun in theory but you better buy a shake weight so you build up enough muscle to move the damn lever.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:49 pm

I bet it would come down to which two specific tires were tested and what temperature "cold" really meant... which is why it's interesting.
It would be quite interesting as the entire country gets increasingly :truk: hungry under the false guise of "safety".