Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

What’s the take on the new Royal Enfields?

FortNine liked it and doesn’t seem half bad as is, and when taking price into consideration they seem like one hell of a :dill:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p6qXM_N34TI
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Swedish Chef wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 pm What’s the take on the new Royal Enfields?

FortNine liked it and doesn’t seem half bad as is, and when taking price into consideration they seem like one hell of a :dill:

Inexpensive modern-retro. Built in India iirc. They look nice, and haven’t really heard anything bad about them. Reviewers seem to love them.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:48 am
Swedish Chef wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 pm What’s the take on the new Royal Enfields?

Inexpensive modern-retro. Built in India iirc. They look nice, and haven’t really heard anything bad about them. Reviewers seem to love them.
That’s the thing, rather than being a cheap bike that’s pretty good, it sounds like a good bike that’s cheap, if that makes sense.
Gearbox is supposedly excellent and it even comes with proper Conti GT tars from factory.

A lot of bikes are made in places outside of EU/JP these days.
Hell, even the new 790 Duke will be made in China for MY2021, so am not overly concerned about an Indian-made bike when it’s 5-6k new.

Not sure if a new one makes for a beginner’s bike though, as I’m sure I’ll drop it first thing.

Are you in TN now? Roads there must be great!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Swedish Chef wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:33 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:48 am

That’s the thing, rather than being a cheap bike that’s pretty good, it sounds like a good bike that’s cheap, if that makes sense.
Gearbox is supposedly excellent and it even comes with proper Conti GT tars from factory.

A lot of bikes are made in places outside of EU/JP these days.
Hell, even the new 790 Duke will be made in China for MY2021, so am not overly concerned about an Indian-made bike when it’s 5-6k new.

Not sure if a new one makes for a beginner’s bike though, as I’m sure I’ll drop it first thing.

Are you in TN now? Roads there must be great!
Yeah, wouldn’t be concerned either. KTM builds bikes in India for a lot of their small displacement things. Triumph builds bike and components in Thailand iirc. Truthfully I wouldn’t worry about build origin as long as it’s from a reputable company.

As far as a first bike? I think it’s fine, low seat, fairly low power, but yeah you’ll probably drop it...I’ve dropped every bike I’ve owned. Some bikes tip over better than others.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

4zilch wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:04 am :notbad: : fax: https://youtu.be/x94PGgYKHQ0
Love FortNine and a lot of their content is of surprisingly high quality.
Ryan is also quite entertaining to watch for a Youtuber.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/mcy/d ... 69743.html

Maybemaybemaybe

FZ/MT-07 is a better dill obviously, but I just love the ST3.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:04 am :notbad: : fax: https://youtu.be/x94PGgYKHQ0
did you see his new video on Darksiders
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:40 pm
I’m not a regular watcher of his stuff. I just kinda stumbled across this video today.

I soured on him several years ago when he did a “tire review” and literally read the manufacturers marketing material.

Am curious about the darksider video tho.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:16 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:40 pm

I’m not a regular watcher of his stuff. I just kinda stumbled across this video today.

I soured on him several years ago when he did a “tire review” and literally read the manufacturers marketing material.

https://youtu.be/hEZeR9E3JyY
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:59 pm
4zilch wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:16 pm

https://youtu.be/hEZeR9E3JyY
:notbad:

I didn’t know about the bead differences, so that was kinda :mindblown: Some of his assumptions on traction are a little off as they don’t take into account compound, temperature, carcass design etc. Tire technology and the science that goes along with it be complicated, but that’s just me being nit picky.

I’ll give him credit on great editing and pacing/cadence. His videos are really well done. I guess the problem I have with these types of videos is that they’re really nothing more than an upgraded version of a buzzfeed top-10 list.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-aprilla-rsv4-rf/

oof. That depreciation curve. But still :jimp:

Not sure if deal of century at $5200 or it wont ever sell at that price.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:51 pm https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-aprilla-rsv4-rf/

If it's sitting at 5200 at auction end, I'll throw a bid in. Depreciation is real on Aprilias due to lack of brand recognition and perceived reliability issues. Generally speaking they're at the top of the heap for performance per dollar. Seller says there's a "conservative reserve" on the auction as well, so we'll see. I'd expect this bike to sell in the low teens-ish.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:17 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:51 pm https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-aprilla-rsv4-rf/

If it's sitting at 5200 at auction end, I'll throw a bid in. Depreciation is real on Aprilias due to lack of brand recognition and perceived reliability issues. Generally speaking they're at the top of the heap for performance per dollar. Seller says there's a "conservative reserve" on the auction as well, so we'll see. I'd expect this bike to sell in the low teens-ish.
You could double your reliability. :notbad:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:29 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:17 pm

Most parts are interchangeable between the 2. But there's really nothing wrong from a reliability standpoint - it's 10 year old platform at this point.

Anything under 10k and I'd run it as a 100% track bike NFG.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:59 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:29 pm

Most parts are interchangeable between the 2. But there's really nothing wrong from a reliability standpoint - it's 10 year old platform at this point.

I had wanted an Aprilia a while back. I wanted something oddball, and the RC8 was it? I think that's theirs. The RSV4 had some good power numbers too.
I got an Aprilia crew jersey thing from MotoGP when they raced at Cota. I loved it, but I'm too fat to fit in it now.
Nice $80 souvenir
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:57 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:59 pm

I had wanted an Aprilia a while back. I wanted something oddball, and the RC8 was it? I think that's theirs. The RSV4 had some good power numbers too.
I got an Aprilia crew jersey thing from MotoGP when they raced at Cota. I loved it, but I'm too fat to fit in it now.
Nice $80 souvenir
RC8 was the KTM. Great bike, but a little behind in terms of power and electronics development when it was launched.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:21 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:57 pm

Nice $80 souvenir
RC8 was the KTM. Great bike, but a little behind in terms of power and electronics development when it was launched.
Ahhh yes. That was a KTM. I was looking at those 2 bikes before I got my Vrod. Both were my spirit animals. Lol
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:24 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:21 pm

Ahhh yes. That was a KTM. I was looking at those 2 bikes before I got my Vrod. Both were my spirit animals. Lol
I briefly consider one to replace my Speed Triple. Quite comfortable for a superbike, looked amazing then and still does IMO.

There’s been some limited rumors about them doing a V4 superbike loosely based on their Motogp bike. In the short term, it does look like we’re going to get some smaller displacement “RC” bikes one with a 500cc twin and another based off of the 790/890 architecture.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Up to $7500. Bidders be sandbagging.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:02 am

Up to $7500. Bidders be sandbagging.
Sold for 12,225. Low-ish, but not unexpected for 3 yr old bike with an updated model recently launched.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:30 am Harley CEO stepped down :thisisfine: https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/20 ... 907299002/
You mean the livewire didn't save the company?
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Friend’s 350F build is finished. :drool:

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:47 pm Friend’s 350F build is finished. :drool:

Not really my cup of tea, but looks like a solid build. :notbad: