VW Recall!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

maxtdi wrote:Damn I have no idea how VW is not going bankrupt these are some serious figures...
Yea, it's going to be a tough go, that's for sure.

Worse is that the industry (at least in the US) is starting to soften so regardless of what it does here, it won't get much profit out of it.

Not to mention, the Atlas is behind the times...too little too late. VW needs the Tiggy replacement yesterday and a smaller version right now.

Doomed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

NA auto makers went bankrupt and are still around today, even if the same thing happened to VW I think the Germans would bail it out. I'm hoping that won't happen though.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote:NA auto makers went bankrupt and are still around today, even if the same thing happened to VW I think the Germans would bail it out. I'm hoping that won't happen though.
The likelihood of this happening increases by the day.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote:NA auto makers went bankrupt and are still around today, even if the same thing happened to VW I think the Germans would bail it out. I'm hoping that won't happen though.
The likelihood of this happening increases by the day.
Random question since gm is roughly about the same size as vw give or take. Would you guys be able to pay 20 billion?!

I can't think of any company other than Apple that could... thats just such an enourmous amount of money it is mind boggling
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: The likelihood of this happening increases by the day.
Random question since gm is roughly about the same size as vw give or take. Would you guys be able to pay 20 billion?!

I can't think of any company other than Apple that could... thats just such an enourmous amount of money it is mind boggling
I'm not that intimate with our financial status, but the company has built up quite a cash horde to protect for these sorts of events. IIRC, it's close to $20B, but that is indeed a very large number.

However, this $20B isn't all at once. It's spread out over time, and if the company maintains significant positive cashflow from normal operations, that can help offset some of the cash deficiency some.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

I'm not that intimate with our financial status, but the company has built up quite a cash horde to protect for these sorts of events. IIRC, it's close to $20B, but that is indeed a very large number.

However, this $20B isn't all at once. It's spread out over time, and if the company maintains significant positive cashflow from normal operations, that can help offset some of the cash deficiency some.
They might have loan access and can spread the debt out over a few years. Whatever the case, I want to see some of that moola
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

:wtf:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'll probably gut out my interior led kit. Maybe some of the bulbs will work in the :poorvette: +
ChrisoftheNorth

Fuck that guy, I hope he's stuck with that POS. What a :derp:
razr390

Detroit wrote:
Fuck that guy, I hope he's stuck with that POS. What a :derp:
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That guy totally missed the boat on the opportunity gifted to him. Some people are never happy.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
Tarspin wrote:That guy totally missed the boat on the opportunity gifted to him. Some people are never happy.
Best part is he won't be able to sell it to anyone. Literally will be stuck with it.
What if he already sold the doors and shit lol
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
Tarspin wrote: What if he already sold the doors and shit lol
I think he did based on pics.
razr390

[user not found] wrote:
That car is NOT drivable. Can't register it, can't drive it.
They're arguing that a legal loophole allows it because VW defined "Operable" as being able to move/rev under its own 2.0TDI engine power. But their logic is stupid, because VW can and WILL argue that they made that guideline because they wanted the car to be in proper functioning order (operable) not that they left everything else out because they didn't care.

For example,

VW stated that it has to be Operable. They did not state much else other than it has to be pulled under its own power/engine. If they would have specified OTHER things, such as (lights must be on it) etc. as a list, then you could argue that there is a legal loophole, but it is clear that VW made the operable condition in good faith that the car would be turned in wholly.

VW can come back against this guy and argue either or all of these points, as the circumstance presents itself:

1. Operable should also be considered ROAD LEGAL (operable) in the state that the buyback is occurring.
2. The registered owner of the vehicle is NOT the LEGAL owner of the vehicle if:
a. The car is being leased, or,
b. The car is being financed.
at that point, the car is not legally owned by the beneficiary of the buyout, and as such stripping the car of its parts would be considered theft (if you want to go into legalities).
3. If at any time, VW would get the car's insurance provider to appraise the car before the turn-in, it would, in the condition it is currently in, be deemed hazardous and unsafe (removal of airbags, seats, doors, structural rigidity, etc.). At that point, the insurance could effectively change the title of the car to become one that is blacklisted by VW (salvaged, disassembled, etc.)

This guy is in way over his head for a loophole that wasn't intentionally specified. VW made the buyout terms in good faith, not so they can be exploited by disgruntled owners, who, MIND YOU, have been basically driving a car FOR FREE since September 2015.
max225

[user not found] wrote:
That car is NOT drivable. Can't register it, can't drive it.
In theory ... vw sold us a car that was never legal to be registered either
max225

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote: In theory ... vw sold us a car that was never legal to be registered either
Yup, so he needs to supply all those parts that were originally illegal back to them.

Otherwise fraud.
That wasn't specified. The only condition is move under its own power. I think vw is fucked on this one for being too "nice"
max225

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote: That wasn't specified. The only condition is move under its own power. I think vw is fucked on this one for being too "nice"
I am sure 'operational' has a very specific legal meaning.
That wasn't the wording...
razr390

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote: That wasn't specified. The only condition is move under its own power. I think vw is fucked on this one for being too "nice"
I am sure 'operational' has a very specific legal meaning.
If you take into consideration both state laws and insurance regulations for the car, you are more than likely right.
max225

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote: That wasn't the wording...
What was the specific wording?
"Operable under its own power" and doesn't have a "branded title"
max225

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
"Operable under its own power" and doesn't have a "branded title"
This vehicle couldn't be retitled in its current condition. Bam.
Counter argument the vehicle can't be titled period due to not compliant emissions from day 1.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
Counter argument the vehicle can't be titled period due to not compliant emissions from day 1.
Counter point: then VW must buy it back in that condition.

They sold him the airbag as much as they sold him the engine.

Make them buy it back less everything missing.

Everyone wins but that guy.
I doubt that compromise is in the cards. In the spirit of the agreement the guy loses. He gets nothing. VW plans to fix and resell the cars and this one would cost more to put back back together then the actual value of the resale. He can go ahead and sell the transmission, wheels and frame too.
max225

Tarspin wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Counter point: then VW must buy it back in that condition.

They sold him the airbag as much as they sold him the engine.

Make them buy it back less everything missing.

Everyone wins but that guy.
I doubt that compromise is in the cards. In the spirit of the agreement the guy loses. He gets nothing. VW plans to fix and resell the cars and this one would cost more to put back back together then the actual value of the resale. He can go ahead and sell the transmission, wheels and frame too.
Car has to move under its own power doe
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote:
Tarspin wrote: I doubt that compromise is in the cards. In the spirit of the agreement the guy loses. He gets nothing. VW plans to fix and resell the cars and this one would cost more to put back back together then the actual value of the resale. He can go ahead and sell the transmission, wheels and frame too.
I can agree that it's black or white. If there aren't additional words in the agreement and he has a good lawyer then shame on the rest of us for not doing the same. I'd presume that a multi billion dollar agreement comes with a detailed terms and conditions, or nah?
max225

Tarspin wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
I can agree that it's black or white. If there aren't additional words in the agreement and he has a good lawyer then shame on the rest of us for not doing the same. I'd presume that a multi billion dollar agreement comes with a detailed terms and conditions, or nah?
The car condition is purposefully left vague, to protect the average derp from getting a shitty pay out due to curbed ramz or whatever else the dillerman will decide to deduct.

Overall since I'm the only person on this forum that went through the entire process end to end. I found the last part to be quite easy and well organized. I'm glad they made it so lax otherwise it would have been a nightmare for everyone.