Lawn and Landscaping

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:09 pm
Really?! My new blower I bought 5 years ago started running like crap last fall. Tough to start, wouldn't idle right, died at WOT, etc. That's when my dad told me about pure gas and I've been running it ever since. Blower runs perfect now. Took a few tanks to get it back on track.
Interesting. Maybe it's a 2-stroke thing? My gas powered tools (mower and blower) are both 4 -stroke. I've never had an issue with either. Now, I also run them both dry at the end of their seasons and never leave any gas in the tanks or carbs. And I leave the gas caps off for a couple of days to make sure any residual fuel evaporates out. :notsure: if that helps or not.
Ohhhhh Maybe it is a 2-stroke thing. My old gas mower never really had a problem. My 2-strokes are really picky though.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:00 pm
wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:20 pm

Interesting. Maybe it's a 2-stroke thing? My gas powered tools (mower and blower) are both 4 -stroke. I've never had an issue with either. Now, I also run them both dry at the end of their seasons and never leave any gas in the tanks or carbs. And I leave the gas caps off for a couple of days to make sure any residual fuel evaporates out. :notsure: if that helps or not.
Ohhhhh Maybe it is a 2-stroke thing. My old gas mower never really had a problem. My 2-strokes are really picky though.
That's why I won't own anything 2-stroke. They seem finicky, especially if you don't get the fuel/oil mixture just right. Maybe that is it, maybe the oil doesn't mix properly with E10?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:00 pm
That's why I won't own anything 2-stroke. They seem finicky, especially if you don't get the fuel/oil mixture just right. Maybe that is it, maybe the oil doesn't mix properly with E10?
Yep, that's what I'm thinking.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:02 pm
wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Yep, that's what I'm thinking.
:derp: minds think alike and eventually figure it out. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:06 pm Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.
Deez :balls:
ChrisoftheNorth

Welp, they got me. Went to HD last night to check out the EGO mower and trimmer, and they're legit 5/7 quality. As I was standing there, dudes took all but the last mower and trimmer...apparently the sale is :mindblown: for these things because it never happens. Confirmed on Amazon even.

So, I bought them and figured I'll try them this weekend and if I hate them return. I'm ok with the EV lyfe, honestly. Unboxing and initial impressions to come tonight.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:29 am Welp, they got me. Went to HD last night to check out the EGO mower and trimmer, and they're legit 5/7 quality. As I was standing there, dudes took all but the last mower and trimmer...apparently the sale is :mindblown: for these things because it never happens. Confirmed on Amazon even.

So, I bought them and figured I'll try them this weekend and if I hate them return. I'm ok with the EV lyfe, honestly. Unboxing and initial impressions to come tonight.

/in4review
I'm interested in the all electric life as well.
Just less shit to maintain.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:44 am
Detroit wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:29 am Welp, they got me. Went to HD last night to check out the EGO mower and trimmer, and they're legit 5/7 quality. As I was standing there, dudes took all but the last mower and trimmer...apparently the sale is :mindblown: for these things because it never happens. Confirmed on Amazon even.

/in4review
If I put a value on all the time I've wasted dealing with gas yard shit, I would have paid for these things 10x over now. Hoping the lyfe is as sweet as it sounds.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:51 am
Melon wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:44 am

/in4review
If I put a value on all the time I've wasted dealing with gas yard shit, I would have paid for these things 10x over now. Hoping the lyfe is as sweet as it sounds.
Silent? :hue:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:29 am
Detroit wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:51 am
Silent? :hue:
EXACTLY
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

$600 mower? ehh.. have fun with that.

Im rocking a 20yo and me down riding mower.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:35 am

$400 including the $120 battery, but good for you.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:40 am

oh ok. so its inline with gas mower things? :notbad:

I'll admit, I just used google since I had no idea and clicked the first link for a 21" at HD for $600. Just seems steep and for now there is an ands amount of newer free mowers on side of curb that need cleaning and a fresh plug.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:42 am

I'll admit, I just used google since I had no idea and clicked the first link for a 21" at HD for $600. Just seems steep and for now there is an ands amount of newer free mowers on side of curb that need cleaning and a fresh plug.
The :waxer: version is self-propelled and whatnot for $600. My lawn is small, so it's just a push mower. Nice that it comes with the battery because I can buy more tools that use the battery for cheaper without the battery.

I've been curb-side picking yard equipment for 10 years now. Sick of all the little shit that needs to be fixed constantly. My mower (that my dad now has) can't keep a recoil in tact for some reason. And my snowblower constantly requires carb rebuilds and chews belts. And they always fail when I really need them. Just over it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Nice, I've had my eye on a Honda mower that's about $450.
Once my turd dies (Flood didn't kill it) I'll be in the market.

biding my time, the electric stuff gets better and better every year.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 am

Yea, nice gas mowers are pricey. These EGO tools have :mindblown: reviews everywhere I look. The build quality is up there with any premium gas tool. The fact that the battery is common across every single tool was what sold it for me, :doe: . I'm going to try them out tomorrow for the first time, we'll see how it goes.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:57 am
dubshow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:42 am

Time and energy, doe. I get it.
Last year, EVERY TIME I had to use the snowblower, something went wrong. Disassembling and cleaning the carb when it's 0 degrees outside. Getting half way through clearing the lawn the paddles stop doing anything because the belt got chewed through for no apparent reason (that I replaced the prior year).

The lawn mower, recoil breaks for the 3rd time so I take it off and have the manually wind the cord and pull. Just get so old.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:08 am
Melon wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 am

Yea, nice gas mowers are pricey. These EGO tools have :mindblown: reviews everywhere I look. The build quality is up there with any premium gas tool. The fact that the battery is common across every single tool was what sold it for me, :doe: . I'm going to try them out tomorrow for the first time, we'll see how it goes.
Yeah I'd like to buy into one system with shared batteries and chargers
Mainly for weed eaters and blowers. The batts for the mowers are always going to be too large for the hand helds.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:13 am
Detroit wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:08 am
Mainly for weed eaters and blowers. The batts for the mowers are always going to be too large for the hand helds.
Neat thing with the EGO is that the physical size of the battery is identical from mower, to handheld. The snowblower requires two batteries instead of one larger one. They sell different internal sizes of batteries, so while smaller capacity and LIGHTER, they still plug into the same things. The string trimmer on the lawnmower battery will last forever and be heavier. Whereas the stringtrimmer battery will run the mower for half time. I love that level of interchangeability.
wap

:popcorn:

If I wasn't on a corner lot I'd likely go full battery too, but I think my extra side lawn is just too much for any current battery powered machine. I suppose when my gas mower finally shits the bed battery powered mowers will be up to snuff by then.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 am

If I wasn't on a corner lot I'd likely go full battery too, but I think my extra side lawn is just too much for any current battery powered machine. I suppose when my gas mower finally shits the bed battery powered mowers will be up to snuff by then.
Well, my mower is supposed to last 45 minutes at full power cutting. And they make an even bigger battery that can last longer. Reviews indicate that this is accurate too. We'll see how it goes.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:18 am
Melon wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:13 am

Neat thing with the EGO is that the physical size of the battery is identical from mower, to handheld. The snowblower requires two batteries instead of one larger one. They sell different internal sizes of batteries, so while smaller capacity and LIGHTER, they still plug into the same things. The string trimmer on the lawnmower battery will last forever and be heavier. Whereas the stringtrimmer battery will run the mower for half time. I love that level of interchangeability.
Oh interesting. That's 5/7 battery flexibility.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:00 am
wap wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 am

Well, my mower is supposed to last 45 minutes at full power cutting. And they make an even bigger battery that can last longer. Reviews indicate that this is accurate too. We'll see how it goes.
:notbad:

When they get up to a true hour then they'd work for me. I can sometimes do it quicker, but I'd like the full hour just in case. But I'm not making a change while my old gas Craftsman still runs perfectly.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:03 am
Detroit wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:00 am
:notbad:

When they get up to a true hour then they'd work for me. I can sometimes do it quicker, but I'd like the full hour just in case. But I'm not making a change while my old gas Craftsman still runs perfectly.
The bigger battery would likely last an hour, but I wouldn't make the change either in your situation. In my, I have a manual mower that only works decently, and a bunch of other garbage that barely works that was "free" outside of all my time wasted. I'm pretty much at ground zero and it's the perfect time to invest in a new system.

The only gas powered thing I have that's decent is my blower that I bought new 5 years ago that's been 5/7 once I discovered pure gas.