OT Deep Space Waste 9

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:15 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:12 pm

Oh, for the whole year, yes. I thought you meant just for this one trip.
:word:

Annual budgets. Your property tax plus travel budget could cover our house+tax+insurance AND our 3 cars. :waxer: :wap: :math:
:math:

And until recently, your car hobby/race/autox budget could probably come damn close to covering my property tax and travel budget, no? :lol:
Fortunately our cars are old and cheap now. No monthly, maybe $100/month total for gas, and only $70/month for insurance for both cars. Maintenance is pretty minimal, too. :notsure: off the top of my head, but probably just a few hundo/year.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:39 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:15 pm

Annual budgets. Your property tax plus travel budget could cover our house+tax+insurance AND our 3 cars. :waxer: :wap: :math:

And until recently, your car hobby/race/autox budget could probably come damn close to covering my property tax and travel budget, no? :lol:
Fortunately our cars are old and cheap now. No monthly, maybe $100/month total for gas, and only $70/month for insurance for both cars. Maintenance is pretty minimal, too. :notsure: off the top of my head, but probably just a few hundo/year.
It was about half, ~$30k over 4 years. I wasted a lot of money, but never as much as some of the rich folks here and never again unless we become the rich folks.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:35 pm
I didn't want the damned comfort +. This is Infamous' first international flight, and she demanded it. I'm so big (tall) that flying is miserable for me no matter the seat size. I doubt comfort + will make any difference, and I agreed to prove this to infamous so I can :scrooge: from here on out.

Good to know about the travel sites. We'll need to keep an eye out. Maybe we should make a travel deals thread in the travel section...
I always just pick an aisle seat and sprawl my legs into the aisle NFG because no damn airline makes seats with enough leg room.
:dat:

Until your leg gets blasted by the fucking beverage cart when you're fast asleep in hour 2 of an 11 hour flight to China...

:rolleyes: such misery.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:40 pm
Detroit can be WAY more than O'Hare. We could fly out of O'Hare, but then you have to add the cost of parking, gas, and possibly lodging. The last thing I want to do after landing from an 11 hour flight is drive 4 hours in the car, so the cost savings is much less.

We'll need to check Travelocity and other sites. Infamous was tracking prices and went full :triggered: when she saw them going up. She pulled the trigger on round trip from Detroit to Frankfurt on Delta in Comfort+ for $2,200. I felt we could have done better, but she was worried it was going to get worse or flights/hotels would book up.

I want to do better for our next trip. We want to do the once a year to europe plan as well.
$1,100 for Comfort+ to Europe is honestly better than average I think :sad:

At least you can get :drunk: for no additional charge. Europe from Charlotte is $1k plus for coach any time I check.
Oh word? I honestly haven't paid much attention to pricing. Infamous was finding stuff in the $800 range before she booked these, but not to Frankfurt.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:36 pm
I always just pick an aisle seat and sprawl my legs into the aisle NFG because no damn airline makes seats with enough leg room.

Until your leg gets blasted by the fucking beverage cart when you're fast asleep in hour 2 of an 11 hour flight to China...

:rolleyes: such misery.
Yeah that'll happen. Or you get flight attendant ass in your face.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:21 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Our rabbit peed on our bed once. We were all just sitting on the bed watching TV (he liked to watch TV with us) and out of the blue he just :derp: 'd out and starts to piss. We threw him off the bed and were racing to peel off the comforter, blanket, sheet, and fitted sheet before it soaked through to the mattress. We managed to get all the bedding off before it made it to the mattress. This was on a Sunday night. We ended up having to do laundry at 11:00 on a Sunday night. :rage: It earned him 2 days in jail, meaning we locked him in his cage for 48 hours to reinforce that his litter box, which is in his cage, is the only place he gets to pee and :poop:
one can train a rabbit? :mindblown:
They're actually surprisingly easy to litter box train. They're den animals, meaning they like to live in a confined space like a cage and they will pick one corner to do their business. So, when you first get one, you keep it locked in it's cage for a week or two. At first, it'll pee and :poop: everywhere until it recognises the cage as it's home. You'll eventually notice that it will start to pee and :poop: in one particular corner so that's where you put the litter box and it'll just start to use it. That's when you can let it out to spend time with you and play. But we still locked it in it's cage at night and we always only fed it in it's cage.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Last international flight I was on was Zurich to Dulles. Hung over. Fucking shoot me.
wap

wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Yea there's really no good way to use O'Hare for you without it getting spendy. Funny thing, I checked Travelocity, Orbitz, and Expedia, and they gave exactly the same flight options, hotel options, and prices. The 3 sites even visually looked identical and had the same format and interface. It's like they're all the same company, and maye they are. :iono: Ended up using Travelocity because I already have an account with them.

I imagine you require Comfort+ because of your giant status? So you'll always pay more for that, too.

:fuckyeah: on the annual Europe thing. It's awesome. Once you get on some travel websites mailing lists, you'll see even more deals. Travelzoo is a good site to get on their list, as is Gate 1 Travel.

If you want, I can post here when Mrs or I spot decent deals, in case you're interested.
I didn't want the damned comfort +. This is Infamous' first international flight, and she demanded it. I'm so big (tall) that flying is miserable for me no matter the seat size. I doubt comfort + will make any difference, and I agreed to prove this to infamous so I can :scrooge: from here on out.

Good to know about the travel sites. We'll need to keep an eye out. Maybe we should make a travel deals thread in the travel section...
:rolleyes: Good luck with the so-called comfort plus.
Good idea on the travel deals thread! When you say we, do you mean me or you? :lol:
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:35 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:21 pm

one can train a rabbit? :mindblown:
Yas WAP is the rabbit whisperer
Had my buddy for 9.5 years. Still miss him. :(
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:40 pm
Detroit can be WAY more than O'Hare. We could fly out of O'Hare, but then you have to add the cost of parking, gas, and possibly lodging. The last thing I want to do after landing from an 11 hour flight is drive 4 hours in the car, so the cost savings is much less.

We'll need to check Travelocity and other sites. Infamous was tracking prices and went full :triggered: when she saw them going up. She pulled the trigger on round trip from Detroit to Frankfurt on Delta in Comfort+ for $2,200. I felt we could have done better, but she was worried it was going to get worse or flights/hotels would book up.

I want to do better for our next trip. We want to do the once a year to europe plan as well.

At least you can get :drunk: for no additional charge. Europe from Charlotte is $1k plus for coach any time I check.
Depends on the time of year, :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

Flying is miserable no matter what you do. My strategy for international flights has always been to take way too many Ibuprofen PM's, 3 or 4 teeny bottles of whisky, and nighty night until we land.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:41 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:39 pm

It was about half, ~$30k over 4 years. I wasted a lot of money, but never as much as some of the rich folks here and never again unless we become the rich folks.
Well, you finally seem to have a handle on it so :like: . I really think a nice Fance trip is doable for you sooner than you may think. :)
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Oh word? I honestly haven't paid much attention to pricing. Infamous was finding stuff in the $800 range before she booked these, but not to Frankfurt.
Frankfort is a direct flight from most US airports so it should be fairly cheapish in the off season.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Good idea on the travel deals thread! When you say we, do you mean me or you? :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=453

We'll see. I'm not happy about paying for the comfort+, but at least she'll drop it when she sees how worthless it is for me.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:49 pm Flying is miserable no matter what you do. My strategy for international flights has always been to take way too many Ibuprofen PM's, 3 or 4 teeny bottles of whisky, and nighty night until we land.
Don't let youself get too dehyrated :doe: It wreaks havoc with jetlag.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:51 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:47 pm

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=453

We'll see. I'm not happy about paying for the comfort+, but at least she'll drop it when she sees how worthless it is for me.
Will stop by after lunch.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:49 pm Flying is miserable no matter what you do. My strategy for international flights has always been to take way too many Ibuprofen PM's, 3 or 4 teeny bottles of whisky, and nighty night until we land.
I've never had a major issue with jetlag, personally.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:43 pm
Frankfort is a direct flight from most US airports so it should be fairly cheapish in the off season.
When is "offseason" for these sorts of destinations?
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:54 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:53 pm

I've never had a major issue with jetlag, personally.
:impressive:
wap

wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Roughly, after Labor day to before Memorial day.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:33 pm

:notbad:
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:52 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Yep. Been seeing flights to Prague and Berlin at <$700 in October and November. And they're both with 1 stop. Direct should be cheaper.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:52 pm
Yep. Been seeing flights to Prague and Berlin at <$700 in October and November. And they're both with 1 stop. Direct should be cheaper.
Direct seems to be more expensive in some cases, and from Detroit is always :troywax:

I'd like to get to Prague and Berlin one of these days. This trip, we're flying into Frankfurt, doing black forest, alps, munich, and back to Frankfurt. North East Germany will happen at another time. But we'll probably do Italy or Spain next year.

Infamous has found some :mindblown: flight deals to Lisbon for Thanksgiving (like $500). We thought about doing that, but with travel time, you really only end up with a few days there.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:19 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:15 pm

Direct seems to be more expensive in some cases, and from Detroit is always :troywax:

I'd like to get to Prague and Berlin one of these days. This trip, we're flying into Frankfurt, doing black forest, alps, munich, and back to Frankfurt. North East Germany will happen at another time. But we'll probably do Italy or Spain next year.

Infamous has found some :mindblown: flight deals to Lisbon for Thanksgiving (like $500). We thought about doing that, but with travel time, you really only end up with a few days there.
Your trip sounds 5/7. We really loved Munich; I'm sure you will, too. Where are you staying?

Lisbon was fantastic, and cheap. It was by far the cheapest Euro-using country we'd ever been to. I 5/7 recommend Portugal. Great people, food, sights, wine, etc.
nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

:crang:
:crang: