Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I started my layout for our drainage on the patio today. Got some landscaping edging and figured out my dimensions. I've currently got a french drain layout under the dirt along the edges but I need to make the whole thing gravel so water finds its way to the pipes easier. So I'm going to dig up the currently piping/drains, pull out the dirt and lay out that mesh shit, put my drains back with small pea gravel below the \piping and then lay larger gravel over the whole top. I need the drainage here to be retarded good before I close in this area and make our "Catio" so that water doesn't elevate and get into it.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:13 am I'm thinking that it's almost time to find a new place to live.
didnt you just move?
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:51 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:32 pm Looked at this today. :notbad:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/148- ... 70495_zpid
Nah :bruh:

That house is Complete Shit™. Did you even seen the uneven grout lines on the tile counters? Did they even use the same color and brand appliances more than ONCE???

:trollface:
eh, looks pretty :notbad: other than the ridiculous fans and shit counters.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

[user not found] wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:13 am I'm thinking that it's almost time to find a new place to live.
Double-door front door life just not cutting it anymore? :trollface:
:notbad: :like:

:member: the leaking drain incident of 2016? This house is been one tragedy after another.
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
didnt you just move?
Six years ago we moved from my semi-detached home to the current one we own. It's been a good house, in total we've owned the two homes for 11 yrs and don't regret either purchase.

We upgraded for two reasons, 1) house prices started to climb rapidly and we didn't want to get priced out of detached homes in our area, 2) we wanted to be as close to my wife's work as possible after she got pregnant and we knew baby was on the way.

Foreign buyers and inflation have essentially doubled the price of homes in Toronto and area in six years. The market finally fell on its face after a serious run and new rules from the .gov on foreign buying essentially creating a tax to keep the homes from becoming a worse bubble then they are. Prices are essentially not moving. I don't know if they will come down a bit.

Although really close to highways and my wife's work, we also have a lot of air traffic and pollution. I'm thinking it's time to sell and move about 20 minutes further out and upgrade to a nicer home/bigger lot, with less planes/traffic. The last remaining small town in the Greater Toronto Area is growing in popularity and become high demand.

I got :triggered: when I read about air pollution in Inglewood near LAX and thought being this close might be a bad idea.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Got my Donald on and got my wall built and footing for the stairs set. Will get stairs finished today. Swings I'm going to build will have to wait until after vacation next week

dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Also the updside down bricks were just like that when i layed a few levels out to see. They're installed correctly :)
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:22 am
[user not found] wrote:
Double-door front door life just not cutting it anymore? :trollface:
:notbad: :like:

:member: the leaking drain incident of 2016? This house is been one tragedy after another.
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
didnt you just move?
Six years ago we moved from my semi-detached home to the current one we own. It's been a good house, in total we've owned the two homes for 11 yrs and don't regret either purchase.

We upgraded for two reasons, 1) house prices started to climb rapidly and we didn't want to get priced out of detached homes in our area, 2) we wanted to be as close to my wife's work as possible after she got pregnant and we knew baby was on the way.

Foreign buyers and inflation have essentially doubled the price of homes in Toronto and area in six years. The market finally fell on its face after a serious run and new rules from the .gov on foreign buying essentially creating a tax to keep the homes from becoming a worse bubble then they are. Prices are essentially not moving. I don't know if they will come down a bit.

Although really close to highways and my wife's work, we also have a lot of air traffic and pollution. I'm thinking it's time to sell and move about 20 minutes further out and upgrade to a nicer home/bigger lot, with less planes/traffic. The last remaining small town in the Greater Toronto Area is growing in popularity and become high demand.

I got :triggered: when I read about air pollution in Inglewood near LAX and thought being this close might be a bad idea.
:notsure: Noise? yea i get it. but the actual air? eh.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:22 am Foreign buyers and inflation have essentially doubled the price of homes in Toronto and area in six years. The market finally fell on its face after a serious run and new rules from the .gov on foreign buying essentially creating a tax to keep the homes from becoming a worse bubble then they are. Prices are essentially not moving. I don't know if they will come down a bit.

You're around Toronto? My boss is from Canada and I believe him and his wife moved back up there for a bit a decade ago or so. He said the housing there is stupid expensive. It's part of the reason they moved back down here to Louisiana once he was able to find engineering work.
He wouldn't recommend Toronto to anyone.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:22 am :notbad: :like:

Yep noise too. The pollution thing might be a bit of a knee jerk :triggered: reaction but between the airport, and two very busy highway systems the air isn't exemplary.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:22 am Foreign buyers and inflation have essentially doubled the price of homes in Toronto and area in six years. The market finally fell on its face after a serious run and new rules from the .gov on foreign buying essentially creating a tax to keep the homes from becoming a worse bubble then they are. Prices are essentially not moving. I don't know if they will come down a bit.

You're around Toronto? My boss is from Canada and I believe him and his wife moved back up there for a bit a decade ago or so. He said the housing there is stupid expensive. It's part of the reason they moved back down here to Louisiana once he was able to find engineering work.
He wouldn't recommend Toronto to anyone.
I literally can't afford my own house if I were to try and buy it today. The average house price in Toronto is now $950k, which even converted is $700KUS. There's something like 260000 new people in Canada and 30% come to the GTA. Yet another reason why I'd like to up size to a better home in the last small town in the area, and the best part is its only 20 min away from me now.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

dtraill27 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:30 am Got my Donald on and got my wall built and footing for the stairs set. Will get stairs finished today. Swings I'm going to build will have to wait until after vacation next week

Nice.

I HATED working with the keystone blocks when I did my back yard. Getting it level for ~80 feet was no fun at all.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:38 am
Nice.

I HATED working with the keystone blocks when I did my back yard. Getting it level for ~80 feet was no fun at all.
It felt like cheating it was so easy. The ground was largely level to start with from the pool and only needed a little tamping. The blocks that needed adjusting were super easy because of working in the sand. I got the entire wall done in about 8 hours including breaks and a trip to Lowe's for more blocks. I also got lucky and Lowe's has the blocks on sale for $1.25 instead of $1.75. I need to go pick up 38 more now for the firepit.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I'm deff down for hosting. Got some good roads near by for cruising too.
Acid666

We wanna do a fire pit kinda like that too with the keystone bricks. Looks like a good project.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm 9AM Wednesday viewing for this one: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15-S ... lpage=true
Too much carpet for my taste. Otherwise :notbad:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:41 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:40 pm

Too much carpet for my taste. Otherwise :notbad:
I'd pull it eventually. Maybe leave it in the bedrooms.

I should've looked at this one that sold earlier this year: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/81-S ... lpage=true
:ohdang: that one looks 5/7, I dig that kitchen.

I wonder how long of a commute Hamilton would be... Seems to be some decent :dill: s on housing there. Or I'm just going to have to deal with 45-60 minute commutes every day.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:57 am Haus was a bust. Bank owned and I have a feeling there are some major skeletons that were painted and carpeted over.

:nope: - not for $220k.

Maybe for $150k.
that house looked turrible.
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:57 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:07 pm

You've gotta remember this isn't the south up here breh. Cheap does not exist.
You gotta remember that he is highly critical about anyone else's house or potential properties and he must live in a fucking palace on 900 acres that has dozens of servants working the buildings and land.

He must be a riot at house parties and small gatherings.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

'cheap' or not, affordable is affordable, or it is not. I don't know your situation specifically other than what you've said you pay for rent, but perhaps as much a tripling your monthly outlay on housing...... :butwhy:

I just fail to see how this would be a good move for you know what I know about you.

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:06 pm

You gotta remember that he is highly critical about anyone else's house or potential properties and he must live in a fucking palace on 900 acres that has dozens of servants working the buildings and land.

He must be a riot at house parties and small gatherings.
:yeahok: :like:

just trying to live the anti :waxer: life.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

put another way: you are looking at giving the bank more in interest every month at the start of the loan than you pay in rent currently.

Thats just a different form of rent IMHO.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:36 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:25 pm

put another way: you are looking at giving the bank more in interest every month at the start of the loan than you pay in rent currently.

Thats just a different form of rent IMHO.
That's how every mortgage starts, dude. Unless you're flush with :troywax: or have the golden millennial parachute, ain't nobody affording 20%+ down these days on their first house.

So you propose that I just throw away money on rent for another 5 years instead of at least trying to find somewhere to build equity in?

You're out of your goddamn mind, son.
you do you. :iono:

For me, the risk of another housing crunch is too great at the time. In 08 i didnt know any better.

edit: also in 5 years the equity you gain won't cover 1/2 of closing costs plus agent fees. Food for thought.
Last edited by goIftdibrad on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:44 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
you do you. :iono:

For me, the risk of another housing crunch is too great at the time. In 08 i didnt know any better.
For what it's worth, most places up here didn't lose significant value. 5% or so. It was a softening not a crash.
It was similar here. Still puts you in a shit situation years later when you need to sell. And I paid extra at the start of my loan, and re-fied to 15 year.

whatever. yall do yall. I can't see how that shit makes sense on :dillerman: salary/commission. In a downturn no one buys cars, you cant make payments, BYE BYE EQUITY!!!!
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:51 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
It was similar here. Still puts you in a shit situation years later when you need to sell. And I paid extra at the start of my loan, and re-fied to 15 year.

whatever. yall do yall. I can't see how that shit makes sense on :dillerman: salary/commission. In a downturn no one buys cars, you cant make payments, BYE BYE EQUITY!!!!
But this argument is no different than saying certain occupations should NEVER buy a house.

Hell it's like saying none of you guys in the gas industry should ever buy because it's volatile.

Life is not without risk and upside is impossible in a risk free environment.
sure, but you have to manage those risks. Hedging your financial future on the fact that you will pull in at least xxxx a month is a highly risky move when you are in sales. This is not just car sales, any type of sales.
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:20 pm
:yeahok: :like:

just trying to live the anti :waxer: life.
Nah, pretty sure you're just being a pissed off shitbag lately.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:48 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:44 pm

For what it's worth, most places up here didn't lose significant value. 5% or so. It was a softening not a crash.

At the price levels he's looking at, I don't think he should worry about needing to sell. I think his mortgage will be equal or lower than a lot of rents, and he could live there as long as he wants and later rent it out and buy another place if he wants to.

There are very few times you should "need to sell" and usually that's if shit went way wrong and you were in over your head to begin with. Buying a place that will cost close to the rent levels isn't getting into that spot.