Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:49 am
Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 am Do you guys know some reliable places to kind of put some quotes out for a refinance? Intarwebz has lots of places but I'm not really sure what's sketchy.
Thelast time I asked the guy that did a lot of my paperwork on whether or not it would be a good time to refinance (A few years ago), he said unless it's a full percentage point of difference it's not really worth it. Right now seems like a good time to look into it again.

Also, would you have to up front any of the costs for this or can it be rolled into it?
My credit score is also 800+, so I'm assuming I shouldn't have any problems getting approved. Currently at 4.25%, which was decent at the time I bought as we waited for a couple of months to see how low it would get but it didn't really budge much so I went ahead and locked it in.
You can usually roll most of the refi costs into the note. If you need an appraisal that would be a few hundo out of pocket, credit report fee would be a few bucks out of pocket too.
I'll likely look into a reappraisal. I was hoping to be able to get the value of the house up some from the work we've done to it and then see where it lands so I could get the PMI taken out when I end up refinancing.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:04 am

You can usually roll most of the refi costs into the note. If you need an appraisal that would be a few hundo out of pocket, credit report fee would be a few bucks out of pocket too.
I'll likely look into a reappraisal. I was hoping to be able to get the value of the house up some from the work we've done to it and then see where it lands so I could get the PMI taken out when I end up refinancing.
Killing PMI is absolutely worth the price of the appraisal. :like:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 am Do you guys know some reliable places to kind of put some quotes out for a refinance? Intarwebz has lots of places but I'm not really sure what's sketchy.
Thelast time I asked the guy that did a lot of my paperwork on whether or not it would be a good time to refinance (A few years ago), he said unless it's a full percentage point of difference it's not really worth it. Right now seems like a good time to look into it again.

Also, would you have to up front any of the costs for this or can it be rolled into it?
My credit score is also 800+, so I'm assuming I shouldn't have any problems getting approved. Currently at 4.25%, which was decent at the time I bought as we waited for a couple of months to see how low it would get but it didn't really budge much so I went ahead and locked it in.
We used Ally to refinance back in March. Was an outstanding completely self-lead process that was incredibly painless. We went from a 4.75% 30 year to a 3.25% 30 year, the interest savings alone will have paid back the refi costs by October. We didn't have to pay a ton of closing costs, which I chose to do out of pocket instead of rolling into the mortgage. Closing costs included credit check, cost of appraisal (~$500) and funding escrow (which you get most of that back from your current mortgage, if you use an escrow). Ally even gave the option to skip using an escrow account at the cost of a higher interest rate if you want to do that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:04 am

In Michigan (maybe it varies by state), an appraisal was required with the refi and you have to pay for it. If you're considering refi, just pay for the appraisal then, don't do it on your own.

Most banks allow you to drop PMI once you've reached 20% equity. It would be worth reaching out to them to see what the process is for that just so you can weigh all your options.

Absolutely nuke PMI if you can. Refi might be the easiest way :doe: and you should be able to get a pretty solid rate.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Curious about this as well... we are at 3.75%, I've heard tell of 2.75%. We also have PMI, although it's like $40/month, not as bad as some make it out to be, but $40 is $40. We could probably squeeze in at the 20% mark now or plop a one time payment into it to get there, I think current value is like $345K and we owe $285K, bought at 10% down in November '19.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

@max225 what is happening with your plumbing/electrical issue?!?
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Content moved to its own thread

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=945

Pics fixed.....I think
Last edited by Irish on Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Irish

:dat:
Apex

Get home from the shore today and our AC isn’t working. Fan won’t kick on. :rage:
Irish

Apex wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:26 pm Get home from the shore today and our AC isn’t working. Fan won’t kick on. :rage:
That sucks mang.... I hate HVAC issues..... could be capacitor, fan bearing or motor
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:06 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:26 pm Get home from the shore today and our AC isn’t working. Fan won’t kick on. :rage:
That sucks mang.... I hate HVAC issues..... could be capacitor, fan bearing or motor
Capacitor prevents the compressor from kicking in, motor will still spin and blower will push warm air
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Just a :whocares: update.

Last weekend I finished scraping and painting the 4 windows in the sections of foundation that I've been working on. They each got 3 coats of exterior paint in a bright white. Just gotta scrape off a bit of overpaint on a couple spots on the windows. I also started painting the walls and should finally finish this Saturday, unless it rains.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

These were taken 63 hours into the project. As of yesterday afternoon I'm 72 hours into it and I figure I've got another 2 to 3 to go.

Apex

My AC issue seems to stem from the unit being low on Freon. Hopefully a recharge fixes it and we’re good to go for the rest of the year.

Edit: Capacitor wasn’t working so swapped that out too.
Last edited by Apex on Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:30 pm Just a :whocares: update.

Last weekend I finished scraping and painting the 4 windows in the sections of foundation that I've been working on. They each got 3 coats of exterior paint in a bright white. Just gotta scrape off a bit of overpaint on a couple spots on the windows. I also started painting the walls and should finally finish this Saturday, unless it rains.

The house is looking well sorted. Good job Ronald.
wap

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:55 pm My AC issue seems to stem from the unit being low on Freon. Hopefully a recharge fixes it and we’re good to go for the rest of the year.

Hope you have a :sweaty: -free rest of the summer!
wap

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:56 pm
wap wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:30 pm Just a :whocares: update.

The house is looking well sorted. Good job Ronald.
Thanks, mang! it's looking good with the foundation itself painted. I'll post pics when I'm done, probably this weekend.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:31 pm These were taken 63 hours into the project. As of yesterday afternoon I'm 72 hours into it and I figure I've got another 2 to 3 to go.

Looking good!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:55 pm My AC issue seems to stem from the unit being low on Freon. Hopefully a recharge fixes it and we’re good to go for the rest of the year.

Capacitors are a common issue on older units. We had mini splits at our last house that crapped out...it was the capacitor that they didn't make anymore so we had to have the entire system replaced. :disgust:
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:20 pm
wap wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:31 pm These were taken 63 hours into the project. As of yesterday afternoon I'm 72 hours into it and I figure I've got another 2 to 3 to go.

Looking good!
:mahman:
wap

74 hours and n and I finally finished on Saturday.

wap

Even painted the lightening rod ground cable.

wap

wap

Last one.

wap

I should be good for several years before I have to do that again.