Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

If I didn't like our house so much, I'd sell so we could cash in on the frenzy. Rent a house for a few years and buy when the market is :poop: again.

Oh well.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:14 am If I didn't like our house so much, I'd sell so we could cash in on the frenzy. Rent a house for a few years and buy when the market is :poop: again.

Oh well.
there are 4 houses for sale in my hood that just refuse to move....
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:14 am If I didn't like our house so much, I'd sell so we could cash in on the frenzy. Rent a house for a few years and buy when the market is :poop: again.

Oh well.
The wife and I are talking about doing just this.

We're doing some work to the house now, exterior paint, flooring, etc. and getting it ready to be able to be on the market quickly if we decide to do it. Thinking if we need to stay in California for the next 8-9 years maybe we just buy the home we will move to out of state later this year as planned, sell the one we have here and just rent for the remainder of the time we have here...

just :notsure: yet.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:45 am

Oh well.

We're doing some work to the house now, exterior paint, flooring, etc. and getting it ready to be able to be on the market quickly if we decide to do it. Thinking if we need to stay in California for the next 8-9 years maybe we just buy the home we will move to out of state later this year as planned, sell the one we have here and just rent for the remainder of the time we have here...

Could you really deal with a rental situation? Seems like you have a LOT of stuff and are constantly installing new shit all over. 9 years in a POS rental garage? :notsure:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:45 am

Could you really deal with a rental situation? Seems like you have a LOT of stuff and are constantly installing new shit all over. 9 years in a POS rental garage? :notsure:
I would rent a house better than the one I own, likely with a 4 car garage, so I think I can manage. Just need to make sure anything I install is not perm. or damaging to remove.
troyguitar

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:49 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 am

I would rent a house better than the one I own, likely with a 4 car garage, so I think I can manage. Just need to make sure anything I install is not perm. or damaging to remove.
Dat :waxer: lyfe. :impressive:

We can't even BUY anything with a 4 car garage here, the only option is to buy something with land and spend the $50-100k cash to have a garage built. :nope:

Rentals, you are lucky to get a 1-car garage.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Many of the homes that were built from 2007 on here that are in the 2700+ square foot range had options for 4 car garages and many people checked that box on the option sheet. So now, there are a lot of these houses for sale and rent here. Some are a 3+1, 2x2 tandem, but most are a side by side 2+2 configuration.

The one I was really tempted to buy during the market crash was a 4800 foot house with a 5 car on a 1 acre lot (2 car wide, 2 deep RV height with a roll up on both front and back sides + 1 car isolated normal garage). I still kick myself for being scared to jump when the economy was unstable. That house WAS $1.2M and went down to $680 in the crash, brand new... today they are back to $1.1M on the used market.
troyguitar

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:02 am Many of the homes that were built from 2007 on here that are in the 2700+ square foot range had options for 4 car garages and many people checked that box on the option sheet. So now, there are a lot of these houses for sale and rent here. Some are a 3+1, 2x2 tandem, but most are a side by side 2+2 configuration.

The one I was really tempted to buy during the market crash was a 4800 foot house with a 5 car on a 1 acre lot (2 car wide, 2 deep RV height with a roll up on both front and back sides + 1 car isolated normal garage). I still kick myself for being scared to jump when the economy was unstable. That house WAS $1.2M and went down to $680 in the crash, brand new... today they are back to $1.1M on the used market.
:notbad:

4 or 5 car garage/shop with HVAC and some attached living quarters is my dream house.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:08 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:02 am Many of the homes that were built from 2007 on here that are in the 2700+ square foot range had options for 4 car garages and many people checked that box on the option sheet. So now, there are a lot of these houses for sale and rent here. Some are a 3+1, 2x2 tandem, but most are a side by side 2+2 configuration.

4 or 5 car garage/shop with HVAC and some attached living quarters is my dream house.
This is a house in an older community by the builder we are probably going to buy from later this year: https://goo.gl/maps/mUArkmmB3rs

I will be opting for 2 of the RV stalls though for the detached. Those are both RV depth too, so plenty big for a shop on top of the attached 3 or optional 4 car garage.

You can kind of see the 2 tall option on this one: https://goo.gl/maps/dyPDcB3gKUN2 This one is more the layout we want with the detached garages in the rear of the lot.
troyguitar

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:37 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:08 am

This is a house in an older community by the builder we are probably going to buy from later this year: https://goo.gl/maps/mUArkmmB3rs

I will be opting for 2 of the RV stalls though for the detached. Those are both RV depth too, so plenty big for a shop on top of the attached 3 or optional 4 car garage.

You can kind of see the 2 tall option on this one: https://goo.gl/maps/dyPDcB3gKUN2 This one is more the layout we want with the detached garages in the rear of the lot.
Are you actually buying an RV or just getting it tall enough to install a proper lift?

Hint: You don't want an RV. Though perhaps with an infinite budget they're OK...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:43 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:37 am

Are you actually buying an RV or just getting it tall enough to install a proper lift?

Hint: You don't want an RV. Though perhaps with an infinite budget they're OK...
No RV. I just want height.
troyguitar

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:45 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:43 am

No RV. I just want height.
:word:

Those are :fuckyeah: houses. Anything even approaching that sort of thing out here generally means dealing with 5+ acres in the middle of nowhere, often unpaved roads with shit for utilities, etc. We could potentially buy the vacant lot next to us and build a real garage on it, but that would literally cost $100-150k and add maybe $20k at most to our home's value. Talk about :troywax: ...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:25 pm I can't even seem to find a house with a 1 car garage around here. :(
Move west young man.
troyguitar

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:25 pm I can't even seem to find a house with a 1 car garage around here. :(
Move west young man.
and/or add a zero to the end of your budget. :waxer:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:51 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Just need to replace a 2 with a 3 or a 4. :flaccid:
They're only numbers. :math:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:19 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:53 pm

They're only numbers. :math:
It's only money. :troywax: :waxer:
:dat:

Hell it ain't even money, it's just numbers in a database. Hack in and change them. If you only do it a fraction of a penny at a time, no one will ever notice.
troyguitar

Fuckin' A, man.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:51 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Just need to replace a 2 with a 3 or a 4. :flaccid:
Better make it a 7 in the city. :rolleyes:

Oh well. Who cares. Next car will be automatic and used. Bash it up I don't care.
ChrisoftheNorth

Woa, this is AWESOME!

Doesn't look like you'd have to do a thing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Looks similar inside to our house, but has a real basement and much bigger garage.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

That seems cheap for what it is... :fuckyeah: I like it!
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

That looks awesome. House square footage is a little on the small size but it looks roomy from the pics. That garagedoe.
Higher ceilings, a 2nd floor area for moar storage, a level on top for all of your long items like canoes and nerf pool noodles? Hells chea.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wow, i cant even hate on that. is it in a good hood?

negotiate for the furniture too!

:doit:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:40 am

:mindblown:
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:40 am

I'm assuming that it's rented/staged. Our house was like that.

Dem $500/mo property taxes on a $200k house are pretty :flaccid: :thanksobama: but that's probably what happens if you want to live near that third world lyfe.