The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm Chiming in on pro-wing. I like how the STI looks with that wing. It's a classic character traits of that car.

911 GT3 RS same kind of shit... ok sort of lol
Whoa... STI=GTI RS + 240k in the bank. :mindblown:

Lets go one level up. F 1 cars have wings too so, GT3 RS saves you 5 mil over a F1 car, and STI 240k on top of that...

So buying a STI is like saving 5.24 M
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:04 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm Chiming in on pro-wing. I like how the STI looks with that wing. It's a classic character traits of that car.

911 GT3 RS same kind of shit... ok sort of lol
Whoa... STI=GTI RS + 240k in the bank. :mindblown:

Lets go one level up. F 1 cars have wings too so, GT3 RS saves you 5 mil over a F1 car, and STI 240k on top of that...

So buying a STI is like saving 5.24 M
:lolgasm:

That's an expensive ass wing.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

So since I didn't get the wing does that mean I can still have the GT3? :waxer:
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:20 pm So since I didn't get the wing does that mean I can still have the GT3? :waxer:
No? It just means your car isn't as good. Performance is at most 1/2 of that with a wing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The point is that both cars mentioned have a classic stand out wing to differentiate them from their lesser counterparts. :rolleyes: Image
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:crang:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:25 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:20 pm So since I didn't get the wing does that mean I can still have the GT3? :waxer:
No? It just means your car isn't as good. Performance is at most 1/2 of that with a wing.
:(
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote:
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:25 pm No? It just means your car isn't as good. Performance is at most 1/2 of that with a wing.
:(
Not my words or feels doe breh, I like the car a lot but my preference would be white paint with wing. :amir:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

ha I'm good. This car rules, wing or no wing.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:24 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:46 pm On a related note, my salesbro was very much in agreement with my wife on the lip spoiler. He said he'd love to get an STi but wants a base model, then wrapped up the comment with "What am I, Mexican?" :facepalm: I couldn't hold back the chuckle, but holy shit, people actually blurt out that kind of thing to total strangers. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They do now, in Trump's America. :sad:
Sad but true...... there is a local restaurantaur who recently made the news by throwing an african american customer out of his place with the admonishment "Trump is president now, I don't have to serve you people anymore!"

:wtf: :facepalm:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Irish wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Sad but true...... there is a local restaurantaur who recently made the news by throwing an african american customer out of his place with the admonishment "Trump is president now, I don't have to serve you people anymore!"

Comeuppance is a motherfucker though.... I guess people subsequently review bombed the place on Yelp......

My favorite "“The food was horrible... Like eating a big, burning cross shaped piece of wood someone put in the front yard.” :lol:

Unfortunately Yelp has taken almost all of them down.... : :disappoint:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:rage: :sad: :thankstrump:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Irish wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Comeuppance is a motherfucker though.... I guess people subsequently review bombed the place on Yelp......

My favorite "“The food was horrible... Like eating a big, burning cross shaped piece of wood someone put in the front yard.” :lol:

Unfortunately Yelp has taken almost all of them down.... : :disappoint:
:fuckyeah: people stepping up. :disappoint: in yelp, :doe:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Soooooo how's the car brah?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Trump might as well change the country name as well, we are so not "United" states anymore. His motto - Make America """""Great""""" Again,
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 8:18 am Soooooo how's the car brah?
Uhhhh, fucking awesome?

Let's see, where should I start? I'll guess with the negatives.

1. The fuel economy. If there's one thing I miss about the GTI, it's getting 24mpg in the city without trying. I'm averaging 19.4 mpg so far of 3 full tanks, with maybe 25% highway mixed in. I knew this going in, but somehow it was still surprising after driving the GTI for 6.5 years.
2. The short throw shifter still takes some focus on occasion 1,000 miles in. When the trans is cold, especially, the effort is high going into 1st or 2nd. Oddly it seems way happier when the inner :stig: comes out, something about the engine & driveline spinning at faster speeds makes the effort lighten up and the gear lever just snick-snicks from gear to gear.
3. It's just not that fast. It's faster that my Stage 1 w/intake GTI, but not markedly so. I also knew this going in, and in the tighter stuff it doesn't feel underpowered, but on the highway or on wide open roads it's really not all that impressive.
4. Did I mention the fuel economy?

Postives -

1. All of it? I don't know where to start. I fucking love this thing.
2. Dat burble. One of the things I hated coming out of a pretty modded car with the GTI was how quiet it was. Could've fixed that with an exhaust, I guess, but the STi sounds great right off the factory floor.
3. Every input. The steering, brakes, clutch, shifter, all of it. Everything is so direct and immeidate, it makes the drive interesting every time I fire it up.
4. Having a real trunk. I can fit all of my hockey gear without needing to throw my leg pads in the back seat like in the GTI. How annoying is it that a VW Golf can't actually fit a golf bag in the back?
5. The solid chassis. The GTI felt like a wet noodle from the first moment I pulled into an uneven driveway or into the garage. Creaks from the door frames and shivers through the chassis, the STi to me feels like it's made from granite in comparison. The suspension is stiffer, but the ride quality still manages to be better because the whole thing doesn't feel like it's about to fall apart from hitting an expansion joint.
6. The bluetooth connects automatically. Holy shit, what a revelation. The bluetooth in the GTI sucked a :boxodicks: and took forever including multiple tries to switch over to an audio source from my phone. With the STi, if I was listening to a podcast before I left the house, it picks right up where I left off without having to touch a thing.

I could go on, but the short answer is, as long as gas prices don't triple in the next 3 years I'm planning on buying this thing out at the end of the lease and keeping it for quite a long time.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:jimp: glad you're liking it. You can always mod if you want more power and whatnot for highway pulls. But IMO its really strong and pulls hard past 100. Gotta have the revs up though.

Rattle report? The rattles and the stupid touchy throttle are the only two things that I don't enjoy about the car.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

0 rattles to date, and I'm used to the touchy throttle now. It's easier in I mode, but even in Sport I'm pretty good at starting off smoothly now. I've only tried Sport # when driving like an asshole.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

coogles wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:34 am
I could go on, but the short answer is, as long as gas prices don't triple in the next 3 years I'm planning on buying this thing out at the end of the lease and keeping it for quite a long time.
Oh wow I didn't know Subaru starting leasing the STi's. What does a lease look like on it?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Really the lease is pretty reasonable, even more so on the base cars. The residual on the base cars is 66% or 67%, but only 62% on the Limiteds, so not quite as good.

I traded in my GTI - got $11,500 for it - and put that down on the lease. My payment came out to just over $140/mo. Divide that $11,500 over 36 months, add the $140 and the payment is effectively $460/mo on a car with a sticker of just over $42k. My car came with a ton of port installed options - the short throw shifter and SPT leather shift knob, carbon fiber trunk trim, auto dimming mirror w/compass, all weather floor mats, arm rest extension, etc. On the base model you could probably come in under $400/mo without too much trouble.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So fresh and so clean clean. Holy hell do these brakes dust.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'm clearly insane for thinking this way, but the last few days I've been somewhat :eeyore: about the STi purchase. It has nothing at all to do with the car itself - I still love the thing - but I'm starting to kick myself because of the financial side of things.

For a bit of background, my wife and I did some really stupid things in our financial lives early on. At 24 we bought our first house with only 3.5% down, which we borrowed from family and paid back with the first time homebuyers' credit. :facepalm: It was way too much house payment for us at the time at ~1/3 of our take-home pay. We had no car payment then, but my Grand Prix was 12 years old and, not wanting to eventually have 2 car payments simultaneously, we went out and bought my GTI brand new later that same year. I got a nice promotion 2 years later, thankfully, but since my wife's Mazda was having suspension and transmission issues we decided to dump it and leased her a brand new Jetta, now with ~$800/mo in car payments between the two of us. At 27 we refinanced the house to a lower rate and knocked out our PMI, which was great, but then we took out a second mortgage to renovate the kitchen and tacked on a 12mo same-as-cash deal on the new appliances. All of that plus the student loans we were still paying for now 5 years out of school.

It was at this point I'd realized we royally fucked up. We were saving exactly $0/mo on a regular basis. We might throw in a couple hundred one month, but the next we'd have some unexpected/extra expense and take that right back out of savings. We had maybe $1k-$2k saved, an old house that could need repair at any time, and debt up to our eyeballs. I started reading financial wellness blogs, listening to podcasts, etc., and decided it was time to kick the shit out of all of our debt. We went to work on the same-as-cash line of credit first and then got that knocked out with our tax return early in 2014. Then we started to attack the GTI note and got that paid off 18 months early. Eliminated 3 of the 4 student loans by the end of 2015 and kicked the last one to the curb in early 2016. Finished off a 5 figure emergency fund about a year ago, paid off that second mortgage in February of this year, and here we are today saving a third of what we net every month.

It's been a stressful but amazing journey to make some real changes in our lives, but then I went out and traded in a paid-off car to lease a new STi. It never really hit me until I had to pay to register the car. Between the true-up for the part of 2017 when I had the STi instead of the GTI, plus the 2018 portion, it cost me almost $750. My insurance is up $50/mo. I've lost about 6mpg on average. It all adds up to one astoundingly expensive decision. Had I paid cash for the car I'd be :whocares:, but somehow having even that tiny lease payment sours the whole experience.

I'm sure this will get a bunch of :wat: :whocares: :wtf: reactions but :iono: . I should be able to look at it like "OK, we did all of that work so I can splurge a little and enjoy the STi." But all I can think is "we did all that work and I fucked it all up by :plac:ing a paid off 50k mile car."

:notsure:
max225

Well no shit breh... a 38k performance vehicle that gets 16mpg average on premium costs a lot of money.

I think what we're all realizing is that we're growing up. I am toying with the idea of driving the 400k mile crown vic until it dies and then purchasing a 4 digit nearly fully depreciated vehicle. And my pay nearly doubled from 3 years ago.

Taxes suck, life is expensive and unfortunately cars just don't fit into the picture because we're all getting relatively poorer over time. :-/
Last edited by max225 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 pm Well not shit breh... a 38k performance vehicle that gets 16mpg average on premium costs a lot of money.

I think what we're all realizing is that we're growing up. I am toying with the idea of driving the 400k mile crown vic until it dies and then purchasing a 4 digit nearly fully depreciated vehicle. And my pay nearly doubled from 3 years ago.

Taxes suck, life is expensive and unfortunately cars just don't fit into the picture because we're all getting relatively poorer over time. :-/
This is why I buy new and keep my cars for 10 years. Of course, this means I've only owned like 4 cars. :(
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'd planned on 10 years with the GTI. Made it to 6.5 :iono:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk