The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:53 pm :sad:

Perhaps if you wait it out long enough, a :manuel: SS will be in the budget? THis quarantine shit ain't going away anytime soon :mahman:

At least you have the GTI for now, it's a :notbad: place to be.
It's possible, and the longer I can wait the better chance I'll have. I'd kill for a manual SS.

Agreed on the GTI, I've really grown to enjoy this thing. Only disappointing part is not being able to tune it like I'd planned to do when I bought it two years ago.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:48 pm Drove a 37k mile G8 GT today. Thought the reason I didn’t like the last one was because it had 120k on it and wasn’t maintained well, but nope. Kinda hated it.

Sigh. Going to hang I to the GTI as long as I can and just buy a minivan, probably. Fuck it.
:wat: was the issue? Too boaty? Too gameboy inside?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:35 pm :wat: was the issue? Too boaty? Too gameboy inside?
This particular car made a bad first impression, so that didn't help. The car might have only had 37k miles on it, but it appears to have spent a considerable amount of time in the sun. The clearcoat seemed to be failing in a few spots, the weatherstripping around the windshield was all disintegrating and cracked off in several places, the headlights were totally fogged over, and the tires were all 6 years old and need to be replaced. Things didn't get any better on the interior. The driver's side mirror didn't work, and the pull handle had broken away from the door card at the top.

The first and biggest problem is the seats. I'm admittedly particular with seats, but these are awful. They don't go nearly as low as those in the SS, which go properly sports-car low. I'm only 5'10" and more leg than torso, but even without a sunroof I didn't have much headroom. They also don't have nearly the lateral support as those in the SS, and the lumbar support is really broad instead of being right where it needs to be. The seats are probably fine for commuting duties, but they might as well be out of an Avalon. Even if the car is capable of taking a corner, taking a left-hander with any speed would result in me sitting on the passenger side. Other than that, the interior is just super low-rent, more like a a C5 than C7. Also couldn't see any of the red in the head unit with sunglasses on, the color completely disappeared. Getting back in the GTI was a major "aaaaahhhhh" moment. If only I could keep it.

On the plus side, the trans is sport mode was perfect. No gear hunting and quick to downshift, but not VW sport mode, concaine-fueled 3,500 rpm cruising at 40mph. I can't imagine wanting to mod one, which is nice. Tons of torque and more than enough power for a daily. The last thing I wanted to do was hustle it, so why add more power? Seemed pointless unless you live your life 1/4 of a mile at a time. Also rode pretty well, although the roads were in pretty good shape around the dealership.

I still might end up with one. If I don't feel like spending more money, I'd still probably take one over an Odyssey, but I wouldn't be excited about it. It'd get filled up with 87 0fg and it might get washed a couple times a year. I'd treat it like the POS that it is.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:35 pm :wat: was the issue? Too boaty? Too gameboy inside?
This particular car made a bad first impression, so that didn't help. The car might have only had 37k miles on it, but it appears to have spent a considerable amount of time in the sun. The clearcoat seemed to be failing in a few spots, the weatherstripping around the windshield was all disintegrating and cracked off in several places, the headlights were totally fogged over, and the tires were all 6 years old and need to be replaced. Things didn't get any better on the interior. The driver's side mirror didn't work, and the pull handle had broken away from the door card at the top.

The first and biggest problem is the seats. I'm admittedly particular with seats, but these are awful. They don't go nearly as low as those in the SS, which go properly sports-car low. I'm only 5'10" and more leg than torso, but even without a sunroof I didn't have much headroom. They also don't have nearly the lateral support as those in the SS, and the lumbar support is really broad instead of being right where it needs to be. The seats are probably fine for commuting duties, but they might as well be out of an Avalon. Even if the car is capable of taking a corner, taking a left-hander with any speed would result in me sitting on the passenger side. Other than that, the interior is just super low-rent, more like a a C5 than C7. Also couldn't see any of the red in the head unit with sunglasses on, the color completely disappeared. Getting back in the GTI was a major "aaaaahhhhh" moment. If only I could keep it.

On the plus side, the trans is sport mode was perfect. No gear hunting and quick to downshift, but not VW sport mode, concaine-fueled 3,500 rpm cruising at 40mph. I can't imagine wanting to mod one, which is nice. Tons of torque and more than enough power for a daily. The last thing I wanted to do was hustle it, so why add more power? Seemed pointless unless you live your life 1/4 of a mile at a time. Also rode pretty well, although the roads were in pretty good shape around the dealership.

I still might end up with one. If I don't feel like spending more money, I'd still probably take one over an Odyssey, but I wouldn't be excited about it. It'd get filled up with 87 0fg and it might get washed a couple times a year. I'd treat it like the POS that it is.
Huh. Interesting. To be honest I never understood the infatuation with these. But I guess you can make them fun.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:50 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:42 pm

Huh. Interesting. To be honest I never understood the infatuation with these. But I guess you can make them fun.
Yeah I would personally have zero interest UNLESS I was in a sitch like Coogs, to his point, it beats driving an Odyssey, Tahoe, etc. if you need a huge car for your family.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Yeah I would personally have zero interest UNLESS I was in a sitch like Coogs, to his point, it beats driving an Odyssey, Tahoe, etc. if you need a huge car for your family.
The SS is legit good, I'd happily drive one even if I didn't have a big family. The auto isn't great, but everything else about it feels right. From the moment you first close the door and hear a Mercedes-like "thud", to getting down into a proper seat, to grabbing a thick and nicely-weighted wheel, excellent brake feel from the Brembos, and then a great driving experience on top of all of the tactile things, it just gets everything right. The G8 has the same good bones underneath, but it gets everything else wrong. There's a massive gulf between the two cars.
Johnny_P

And we determined a Charger is a no go I believe?

Yeah tough sitch for sure. New Kia Sedona looks damn nice for whatever that’s worth. I liked that stupid Chrysler van aside from the autistic trans.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:02 pm And we determined a Charger is a no go I believe?

Yeah tough sitch for sure. New Kia Sedona looks damn nice for whatever that’s worth. I liked that stupid Chrysler van aside from the autistic trans.
The two infant seats didn't fit with a convertible, but three convertibles might. I should check one out again.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:02 pm And we determined a Charger is a no go I believe?

:sad: Charger would rule. I don't see myself actually buying one ever, but man, I love the Chally and Charger, such epic machines. I got passed on my bike today by an SRT and it sounded so damn good, despite scaring the hell out of me initially.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:06 pm

:sad: Charger would rule. I don't see myself actually buying one ever, but man, I love the Chally and Charger, such epic machines. I got passed on my bike today by an SRT and it sounded so damn good, despite scaring the hell out of me initially.
They are pretty expensive when fitted with a cool motor from what I've seen. I really like the Charger as a dad car.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:16 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:06 pm

They are pretty expensive when fitted with a cool motor from what I've seen. I really like the Charger as a dad car.
Yeah they are alright. Its more of a barge than the SS, but way more available. Interior is a let down. But the motor might make up for it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:08 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:16 pm

Yeah they are alright. Its more of a barge than the SS, but way more available. Interior is a let down. But the motor might make up for it.
What year/trim interior have you seen? I walked by the final assembly line and was pretty impressed with the seats and dash on the higher spec trim, but I didn't get close enough to touch/sit in it.

Case in point, upper trim Charger:

https://images.app.goo.gl/fujY1gXELCf7PHzcA
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:53 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:48 pm Drove a 37k mile G8 GT today. Thought the reason I didn’t like the last one was because it had 120k on it and wasn’t maintained well, but nope. Kinda hated it.

Sigh. Going to hang I to the GTI as long as I can and just buy a minivan, probably. Fuck it.
:sad:

Perhaps if you wait it out long enough, a :manuel: SS will be in the budget? THis quarantine shit ain't going away anytime soon :mahman:

At least you have the GTI for now, it's a :notbad: place to be.
:dat:
Wait for an SS if possible.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Man, their "detailer" sure does like Armor All. :disgust:

https://g5autos.com/vdp/16549859/Used-2 ... s-IN-46038

razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

coogles wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:23 am Man, their "detailer" sure does like Armor All. :disgust:

That’s an interesting side AC vent. Door mounted as opposed to on the dash. :notbad:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

That’s awful. You can clean that hamburger grease off though. If you want to.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:20 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:08 pm

What year/trim interior have you seen? I walked by the final assembly line and was pretty impressed with the seats and dash on the higher spec trim, but I didn't get close enough to touch/sit in it.

For me it’s the dash being a vast sea of black dollar store travel mug rubberized plastic with nothing interesting going on. Plus the smaller details like a less than exciting gauge cluster, turn signals that sound very 1995, and poorly laid out clusters of senior citizen dash buttons. Just like the grand Cherokee it feels old.

I still like them a lot. Camaro drove better than the Chally so there’s are better RWD chassis out there, but didn’t look nearly as cool, and wasn’t half as usable for a daily vehicle.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Hellcat widebody alleviates any of those concerns.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:06 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:20 pm

For me it’s the dash being a vast sea of black dollar store travel mug rubberized plastic with nothing interesting going on. Plus the smaller details like a less than exciting gauge cluster, turn signals that sound very 1995, and poorly laid out clusters of senior citizen dash buttons. Just like the grand Cherokee it feels old.

I still like them a lot. Camaro drove better than the Chally so there’s are better RWD chassis out there, but didn’t look nearly as cool, and wasn’t half as usable for a daily vehicle.
I think the old fucks call that "character", but yeah I see where you're going with it. It doesn't bother me that much visually but I haven't touched the travel mug rubber enough to know if l hate it. The seats are :megusta: doe
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:26 amI think the old fucks call that "character", but yeah I see where you're going with it. It doesn't bother me that much visually but I haven't touched the travel mug rubber enough to know if l hate it. The seats are :megusta: doe
It’s been a minute, but from what I remember the seats in the Charger feel much like those in the G8. Bolstering effective only if you’re a wide fella and they don’t go nearly low enough. They look nice, though.

The MK7 seats have spoiled me, no doubt.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The optional leather dash on the FCA products makes a gigantic difference.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =276667687

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =279690989
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:08 pm The optional leather dash on the FCA products makes a gigantic difference.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =276667687

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =279690989
:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:01 am
coogles wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:23 am Man, their "detailer" sure does like Armor All. :disgust:

That’s an interesting side AC vent. Door mounted as opposed to on the dash. :notbad:
Corvettes of the vintage are the same, there is a hole/vent in the side of the dash that feeds air into the door vent when the door is closed. Funny GM thing but it works.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:36 am
Tarspin wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:26 amI think the old fucks call that "character", but yeah I see where you're going with it. It doesn't bother me that much visually but I haven't touched the travel mug rubber enough to know if l hate it. The seats are :megusta: doe
It’s been a minute, but from what I remember the seats in the Charger feel much like those in the G8. Bolstering effective only if you’re a wide fella and they don’t go nearly low enough. They look nice, though.

The MK7 seats have spoiled me, no doubt.
Yeah they are big seats, comfy but fat man spec. Reminds of those lame ass STI Recaros where the bolsters were 6” away from me on either side...

Charger/Challenger are epic cruisers, not corner carvers though. They excel at their mission with awesome engines, great looks, amazing sounds, scary speed, and comfy ride.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Drove a :manuel: G8 GXP today, and even the LS3 and TR6060 can’t save that car, IMO. Great drivetrain, still a :poop: wrapper. A pair of Recaro Sportster CSs would go a long way toward fixing things, but another $4,000 on top of a $32,500 price tag is a :nope: from me, dawg.

My Carvana offer has jumped up to a :mindblown: $17,020 for the GTI. This close to just selling it and going down to one car for awhile.