The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:26 pm I think I just prefer AWD turbo things. Turbo torque, all the grip to accelerate from intersections and roundabouts and such, plus spooli boi noises.

I like the 86, I just don't love it, and it mostly comes down to the powertrain. It isn't slow, but it just doesn't feel that engaging. Should've listened to myself from the start, Evo/STi is where I need to be if I also want to be able to carry a kid or two. C6GS would be great too but putting a kid in the hatch would probably be frowned upon.
Yeah, to that point, so much of this stuff is just personal preference.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:26 pm I think I just prefer AWD turbo things. Turbo torque, all the grip to accelerate from intersections and roundabouts and such, plus spooli boi noises.

I like the 86, I just don't love it, and it mostly comes down to the powertrain. It isn't slow, but it just doesn't feel that engaging. Should've listened to myself from the start, Evo/STi is where I need to be if I also want to be able to carry a kid or two. C6GS would be great too but putting a kid in the hatch would probably be frowned upon.
Unpopular opinion: but Corvettes aren't fun on the street either, especially one with >400hp. You can't use it at all, ultimately it's why I sold my C5, it was just too fast to be enjoyable. And that thing was basically at C6GS specs.

I agree that an STI type thing is where it's at. It's why out of everything coming out now, I'm still most interested in a GR Corolla. Too bad I'll never be able to buy one, but I think something along those lines is the sweet spot. Hype R could be interesting too and I'm sure AWD wouldn't be missed on that, but no way you'll ever be able to get one.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:iono: My Corvette was pretty damn fun. It was annoying in urban environments but suburbs, on ramps, highways, back roads, track it was pretty damn epic. I sort of miss that turd.

I've never really understood adding powah though, a regular LS1 is more than enough for me. I did :wub: your build though.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:53 pm :iono: My Corvette was pretty damn fun. It was annoying in urban environments but suburbs, on ramps, highways, back roads, track it was pretty damn epic. I sort of miss that turd.

I've never really understood adding powah though, a regular LS1 is more than enough for me. I did :wub: your build though.
The build I did to that car was the best and worst thing. It was overkill, and I'll never do that again, but it was a riot. I'll never forget the look of terror on the dude's face who bought it when I took him WOT on an on-ramp during the test drive. "Holy fuck this thing is fast" was the only thing he could gasp out. I was shocked when he paid asking for it, he was scared to drive it home. :lolol:

If I were buying another Corvette, I'd honestly hone in on an LT1 C4 :manuel: . Plenty of power to be fun anywhere, somewhat modern, cheap, reliable. My old man has already told me to keep a place open for the C3 when he settles on another project because he doesn't have the heart to sell it while his friend's alive, but he wants to focus on something else. So that'll be my "fun" vehicle, and honestly :notbad: because of what we're talking about. Tons of torque to be fun enough around town, won't win any races, but isn't SLOW. Plus it looks cool.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:53 pm :iono: My Corvette was pretty damn fun. It was annoying in urban environments but suburbs, on ramps, highways, back roads, track it was pretty damn epic. I sort of miss that turd.

The build I did to that car was the best and worst thing. It was overkill, and I'll never do that again, but it was a riot. I'll never forget the look of terror on the dude's face who bought it when I took him WOT on an on-ramp during the test drive. "Holy fuck this thing is fast" was the only thing he could gasp out. I was shocked when he paid asking for it, he was scared to drive it home. :lolol:

If I were buying another Corvette, I'd honestly hone in on an LT1 C4 :manuel: . Plenty of power to be fun anywhere, somewhat modern, cheap, reliable. My old man has already told me to keep a place open for the C3 when he settles on another project because he doesn't have the heart to sell it while his friend's alive, but he wants to focus on something else. So that'll be my "fun" vehicle, and honestly :notbad: because of what we're talking about. Tons of torque to be fun enough around town, won't win any races, but isn't SLOW. Plus it looks cool.
Free C3 is pretty damn sweet :notbad:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:02 pm

Mullet is practically a necessity at this point.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:08 pm

Mullet is practically a necessity at this point.
I'll start growing it now.

I'm happy with the development. Wife can't say no because I'm helping my old man. He's caused me so much stress over the last few years that the wife has learned to just give me carte blanche dealing with him.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Unreal.

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:11 am Unreal.

Yay… but wouldn’t putting on silicone onto the oil pan result in the same issue as prior ? I’m assuming that’s the source for it to begin with. I suppose if you’re super careful with it, it won’t happen.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:30 am Yay… but wouldn’t putting on silicone onto the oil pan result in the same issue as prior ? I’m assuming that’s the source for it to begin with. I suppose if you’re super careful with it, it won’t happen.
I'm sure if you don't know what you're doing (me) you could end up with the same problem or even make it worse.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This is a stupid problem to be having with a new car
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:30 am
coogles wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:11 am Unreal.

Yay… but wouldn’t putting on silicone onto the oil pan result in the same issue as prior ? I’m assuming that’s the source for it to begin with. I suppose if you’re super careful with it, it won’t happen.
It's common for oil pans to be sealed with RTV rather than a gasket now. When I changed the oil pan on my ZR2, it was sealed with RTV instead of a gasket. I talked to a powertrain engineer at GM about it, and he said most new engines are like that now because tolerances are a lot tighter than they used to be and it should provide a longer lasting seal than a gasket that could split and fail. In fact, GM uses robots to apply RTV to the block for the oil pan, so it's the exact same amount and exact same pattern every time. I'd be surprised if Subaru/Toyota wasn't doing the same, so it shouldn't be causing the problem here.

The problem is the RTV could be coming from anywhere, the oil pan is where debris ends up eventually. That's why there's a screen on the pickup, and why it's important to change oil regularly. But this entire thing could just be a band aid to a bigger problem if the RTV is indeed coming from somewhere else in the engine somehow. I'm sure there will be forumbros doing this with every oil change eventually.

And yes, it's a ridiculous problem to be had on a new vehicle. More reasons why I avoid first model years of anything like the plague.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The search for an Odyssey continues to be frustrating as hell. It wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for my schedule. School being out for the summer and being responsible for keeping 3 toddlers alive means I have maybe a 50 mile radius tops to try to find a car. I still have the '23 EX-L on order, so Tuesday I decided to go do a little investigation to see what I thought about the current gen vs the prior gen back to back. The :dillerman: where I ordered the Odyssey has a '21 EX-L on the lot as well as a couple 2015-16 Touring Elite models, so I thought it would be interesting to see how the two compared back to back, without driving the 86 between them.

I went inside to find a salesperson, and a guy named Adrian came out. I'd worked with this guy in the past, but when I contacted the dealership about putting in an order for an Odyssey back in the spring, even though I'd mentioned having worked with him previously, I guess he was out that day and someone from their "internet department" went and took over my contact without telling Adrian. What a great co-worker. I thought it odd, but I didn't see Adrian on the website, so I assumed he'd left the dealership. We then went to check on the status of my order, and as it turns out, internet Scott had put my name on a $51k Elite trim, not the EX-L I'd asked for. The sales manager was not pleased. Adrian and I left him to figure shit out and I went off to drive the two Oddys.

The '21 drove :nice:, like you might expect. Seriously, Honda absolutely nails the ride and handling balance with these things. It handles well enough for what it is, but it rides as well as anything I've ever driven. Despite being a huge open box, the structure is incredibly rigid and quiet. The powertrain is the other big winner here. With 280hp and the 10 speed auto, it's always in the right gear and it's always got power everywhere. Getting up to 60-70 is completely effortless, it would easily outrun the Atlas. The downsides are that the brake pedal is a mushy mess and the steering is way overboosted. Both are very un-Hondalike compared to all of their older cars I've driven.

That was immediately apparent jumping straight into the 2015. That generation has a hydraulic steering rack with a much more natural weight and at least some road feel, plus a much firmer and more direct brake pedal. The powertrain sucks in comparison, though. The 6 speed is sluggish, it's down close to 40hp, and while all out it's probably as quick as the Atlas, it's tuned conservatively, for eco reasons I'm sure, and feels pretty lazy. That hydraulic rack may have a better weighting and feel, but it's also ridiculously slow. We have a lot of roundabouts around here and getting the 2017 or earlier model through them feels just silly with how much you have to saw at the wheel.

I left not thinking the extra money for the new one was worth it if I could find a decent used one, and told Adrian I wanted to talk things over with my better half before making a decision. Then about an hour later I got a call saying the sales manager had somehow swapped the Elite for an EX-L. Amazing, and I know it was the right thing to do, but I didn't ask them to do that. I basically figured I'd be SOL on the order and I'm not sure I want to go through with buying the new one. Then again, I'm feeling more and more like dumping the 86 with this oil pickup nonsense. I bought a new car so I wouldn't have to deal with this kind of bullshit.
Last edited by coogles on Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:07 pm It's common for oil pans to be sealed with RTV rather than a gasket now. When I changed the oil pan on my ZR2, it was sealed with RTV instead of a gasket. I talked to a powertrain engineer at GM about it, and he said most new engines are like that now because tolerances are a lot tighter than they used to be and it should provide a longer lasting seal than a gasket that could split and fail. In fact, GM uses robots to apply RTV to the block for the oil pan, so it's the exact same amount and exact same pattern every time. I'd be surprised if Subaru/Toyota wasn't doing the same, so it shouldn't be causing the problem here.

The problem is the RTV could be coming from anywhere, the oil pan is where debris ends up eventually. That's why there's a screen on the pickup, and why it's important to change oil regularly. But this entire thing could just be a band aid to a bigger problem if the RTV is indeed coming from somewhere else in the engine somehow. I'm sure there will be forumbros doing this with every oil change eventually.

And yes, it's a ridiculous problem to be had on a new vehicle. More reasons why I avoid first model years of anything like the plague.
:dat: It's not only the oil pan that's secured with RTV, it's also the whole timing cover and it's probably used elsewhere as well. The problem is, it doesn't appear changing your oil does a damn thing to get the RTV out of there. When it breaks off in big chunks, it hits the screen in the pickup and it stays there. Fun.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:29 pm The search for an Odyssey continues to be frustrating as hell. It wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for my schedule. School being out for the summer and being responsible for keeping 3 toddlers alive means I have maybe a 50 mile radius tops to try to find a car. I still have the '23 EX-L on order, so Tuesday I decided to go do a little investigation to see what I thought about the current gen vs the prior gen back to back. The :dillerman: where I ordered the Odyssey has a '21 EX-L on the lot as well as a couple 2015-16 Touring Elite models, so I thought it would be interesting to see how the two compared back to back, without driving the 86 between them.

I went inside to find a salesperson, and a guy named Adrian came out. I'd worked with this guy in the past, but when I contacted the dealership about putting in an order for an Odyssey back in the spring, even though I'd mentioned having worked with him previously, I guess he was out that day and someone from their "internet department" went and took over my contact without telling Adrian. What a great co-worker. I thought it odd, but I didn't see Adrian on the website, so I assumed he'd left the dealership. We then went to check on the status of my order, and as it turns out, internet Scott had put my name on a $51k Elite trim, not the EX-L I'd asked for. The sales manager was not pleased. Adrian and I left him to figure shit out and I went off to drive the two Oddys.

The '21 drove :nice:, like you might expect. Seriously, Honda absolutely nails the ride and handling balance with these things. It handles well enough for what it is, but it rides as well as anything I've ever driven. Despite being a huge open box, the structure is incredibly rigid and quiet. The powertrain is the other big winner here. With 280hp and the 10 speed auto, it's always in the right gear and it's always got power everywhere. Getting up to 60-70 is completely effortless, it would easily outrun the Atlas. The downsides are that the brake pedal is a mushy mess and the steering is way overboosted. Both are very un-Hondalike compared to all of their older cars I've driven.

That was immediately apparent jumping straight into the 2015. That generation has a hydraulic steering rack with a much more natural weight and at least some road feel, plus a much firmer and more direct brake pedal. The powertrain sucks in comparison, though. The 6 speed is sluggish, it's down close to 40hp, and while all out it's probably as quick as the Atlas, it's tuned conservatively, for eco reasons I'm sure, and feels pretty lazy. That hydraulic rack may have a better weighting and feel, but it's also ridiculously slow. We have a lot of roundabouts around here and getting the 2017 or earlier model through them feels just silly with how much you have to saw at the wheel.

I left not thinking the extra money for the new one was worth it if I could find a decent used one, and told Adrian I wanted to talk things over with my better half before making a decision. Then about an hour later I got a call saying the sales manager had somehow swapped the Elite for an EX-L. Amazing, and I know it was the right thing to do, but I didn't ask them to do that. I basically figured I'd be SOL on the order and I'm not sure I want to go through with buying the new one. Then again, I'm feeling more and more like dumping the 86 with this oil pickup nonsense. I bought a new car so I wouldn't have to deal with this kind of bullshit.
The minivan is more of a need then a want, no choice there but I'd be all about buying something with less options/ low trim. They are the least reliable passenger vehicles because they are loaded with all kinds of features, the less stiff they have, the better. EX-L new would be my pick if Toyota were off the table.

I really like your 86, but you'll have a lot of expenses in the near future. Don't feel bad about ditching it if you're not losing much money on it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tar wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:09 pmThe minivan is more of a need then a want, no choice there but I'd be all about buying something with less options/ low trim. They are the least reliable passenger vehicles because they are loaded with all kinds of features, the less stiff they have, the better. EX-L new would be my pick if Toyota were off the table.

I really like your 86, but you'll have a lot of expenses in the near future. Don't feel bad about ditching it if you're not losing much money on it.
In the near future? :bruh: Our daycare expenses are bananas now. Which is why I'm not down for buying the 86 and a new Odyssey three months apart.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:33 pm
Tar wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:09 pmThe minivan is more of a need then a want, no choice there but I'd be all about buying something with less options/ low trim. They are the least reliable passenger vehicles because they are loaded with all kinds of features, the less stiff they have, the better. EX-L new would be my pick if Toyota were off the table.

In the near future? :bruh: Our daycare expenses are bananas now. Which is why I'm not down for buying the 86 and a new Odyssey three months apart.
Ooof, yeah I forgot about the daycare costs. They turn into camp costs, sports and afterschool activities, etc which is where I'm at. I'm sure it'll be University costs down the road.

We keep finding ways to pay down principle on the mortgages, but lack savings or enjoyable spending in other places. I guess it's a sign of the times, but I don't know how average income families even stay afloat, even rent around me is like 3-4k/month for a decent sized place that can house a family.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The foam cannon never gets old. Hoping I can get away to snap some good pictures later today.

max225

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:08 pm The foam cannon never gets old. Hoping I can get away to snap some good pictures later today.

I see 2 buckets 😐
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I haven cannoned in over a month.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:58 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:08 pm The foam cannon never gets old. Hoping I can get away to snap some good pictures later today.

I see 2 buckets 😐
I use three. Wash, rinse, wheels. :micdrop:
max225

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:11 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:58 pm

I see 2 buckets 😐
I use three. Wash, rinse, wheels. :micdrop:
:mahtroy:
coogles