First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:15 pm Spotted

:hai:

:dat: is a based model, doe.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:59 pm Far more than with the GTI, the type of road I'm on really influences how much I like this car. I took a road close to me that's a bit off the beaten path to get to my haircut this morning. It has a 30mph speed limit and runs through the woods for a ~2.5 mile stretch, with some occasional homes and a few subdivisions off of it but nothing else. It opens up in a couple places where you can get up to maybe 60mph comfortably, but for the most part you're around 35-45. The GTI was more fun around town because torque, it was a better point-and-shoot thing and that was even without a :tuna:. But on a tight and twisty road, while fairly competent, it didn't dance like the 86 does. In that kind of environment the GR86 is plenty fast, and genuinely great. So yeah, if you live in a place with lots of 35-45mph twisty roads where you can get up to 55-65mph tops, this car is your jam. If you live somewhere those roads are few and far between like I do, I might look elsewhere.
I've thought this in the past, where you live should have a big bearing on the car you pick. I imagine Detroit and Indy are somewhat similar in road structure, and I'd have very little interest in something like an 86 if I still lived there. It's why high torque muscle cars are so popular there I think.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:59 pm Far more than with the GTI, the type of road I'm on really influences how much I like this car. I took a road close to me that's a bit off the beaten path to get to my haircut this morning. It has a 30mph speed limit and runs through the woods for a ~2.5 mile stretch, with some occasional homes and a few subdivisions off of it but nothing else. It opens up in a couple places where you can get up to maybe 60mph comfortably, but for the most part you're around 35-45. The GTI was more fun around town because torque, it was a better point-and-shoot thing and that was even without a :tuna:. But on a tight and twisty road, while fairly competent, it didn't dance like the 86 does. In that kind of environment the GR86 is plenty fast, and genuinely great. So yeah, if you live in a place with lots of 35-45mph twisty roads where you can get up to 55-65mph tops, this car is your jam. If you live somewhere those roads are few and far between like I do, I might look elsewhere.
:nice: sounds like a lot of fun. :iono: I think for anyone living in a city or suburbs in the outskirts of one, driving kind of sucks in general.

You have to seek out the nice drives :disappoint:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:52 pm I've thought this in the past, where you live should have a big bearing on the car you pick. I imagine Detroit and Indy are somewhat similar in road structure, and I'd have very little interest in something like an 86 if I still lived there. It's why high torque muscle cars are so popular there I think.
Detroit has wider roads with more lanes than Indy does, but fundamentally they're similar. There aren't any truly good, twisty roads around here within at least a 45min drive, most are an hour or more away.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Do people just go out and drive “twisty roads” for “fun” ? I had a bike at some point people kept going these “rides” and I frankly found it either too dangerous as someone would always crash going 3x the limit or boring
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:05 pm Do people just go out and drive “twisty roads” for “fun” ? I had a bike at some point people kept going these “rides” and I frankly found it either too dangerous as someone would always crash going 3x the limit or boring
I used to with the WRX. It got old. Now with the kid I would have exactly no time for it.

There are some places in the Philly suburbs where a low power high revving car can be a lot of fun on daily errands and such. But with so much traffic now, not sure that’s even a thing either.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:52 pm
I've thought this in the past, where you live should have a big bearing on the car you pick. I imagine Detroit and Indy are somewhat similar in road structure, and I'd have very little interest in something like an 86 if I still lived there. It's why high torque muscle cars are so popular there I think.
Makes sense. I bet a camaro is a lot of fun in Detroit burbs. Conversely, i bought a blob car to drive around the city and on the whole it’s so much better than a performance vehicle.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:05 pm Do people just go out and drive “twisty roads” for “fun” ? I had a bike at some point people kept going these “rides” and I frankly found it either too dangerous as someone would always crash going 3x the limit or boring
I would. Not sure where they are short of Asheville or Greenville around me though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I do a few times a year but you have to drive an hour or two to get to anything good from Charlotte. More often if I’m already in the mountains for a weekend trip with the wife or friends or something, I’ll go out early in the morning and bomb some twisty roads.

I’ve also made a bunch of trips out to Trail of the Dragon for pretty much just that, it’s 3.5 hours from here. All of this is better with friends than solo.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:52 pm
Makes sense. I bet a camaro is a lot of fun in Detroit burbs. Conversely, i bought a blob car to drive around the city and on the whole it’s so much better than a performance vehicle.
The burbs away from cities are straight roads, but more open to have straightline fun. Still not very attainable, which is why I got out of fun cars. My C5 was way too much for the area.

Now I live around some of the twistiest roads in the state with minimal police presence and traffic. Really an ideal situation for something like a BRZ/86 or the like. :ohwell:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

There was a guy on the deadzone that always organized a group drive through the canyons in Malibu back in the day. Last Sunday of every month. Was a lot of fun cruising with everyone. We’d usually end up back at someone’s place to wrench on anyone’s car who had something to do that day or at a restaurant for a big lunch. 5/7. Met Rawbdog IRL there. Hung out with him a few times after those since we were close-ish in proximity.
max225

Well organized group events is one thing. I’m talking about doing it solo. It seems :( af
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:28 am Well organized group events is one thing. I’m talking about doing it solo. It seems :( af
No way, those are my favorite. I used to do it all the time when I lived around the Malibu canyons...it was almost like meditation.

Nobody is limiting you other than yourself. You can go and see and drive whatever you want. Sometimes I wouldn't even drive fast, and just drive down random canyon roads to see more and explore. Sometimes I'd go without even having a route and just see where I'd end up. But if I got the random opportunity to :stig: I'd take it.

Man, I really miss that.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I’d do it solo too. Bouquet Canyon road heading through the hills from lancaster to Valencia was great.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:28 am I’d do it solo too. Bouquet Canyon road heading through the hills from lancaster to Valencia was great.
Should be some awesome roads near your new area as well. Sell the Elantra high and join me in club BRZ!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:39 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:28 am Well organized group events is one thing. I’m talking about doing it solo. It seems :( af
No way, those are my favorite. I used to do it all the time when I lived around the Malibu canyons...it was almost like meditation.

Nobody is limiting you other than yourself. You can go and see and drive whatever you want. Sometimes I wouldn't even drive fast, and just drive down random canyon roads to see more and explore. Sometimes I'd go without even having a route and just see where I'd end up. But if I got the random opportunity to :stig: I'd take it.

Man, I really miss that.
:dat:

I enjoy both but some of my favorite drives have been early morning Tail of the Dragon runs (going out solo when I awake at 6 while everyone else is still asleep at the cabin) and also the trips I took to Angeles Crest when I was working out there. I had Turo cars and went up at 5 or 6 AM before work. You have the road to yourself, you can turn around and try corners/sections multiple times if you like, go at whatever pace you like (sometimes I enjoy a full 9/10 pace on a canyon road, sometimes just chillin' at a 6 and soaking in the views/music is also epic).

Hell, I'd like to do that right now.

Once you get up to that 7+/10 level though, my BMW kind of falls on its face. It is a pretty fast car but you really notice the numbness, rev hang, etc. when you're gunning through a canyon or a road course.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Having that Turo Boxster in LA was incredible. Those morning canyon runs made the cost of the car worth every penny.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:50 am Having that Turo Boxster in LA was incredible. Those morning canyon runs made the cost of the car worth every penny.
Mid engined Porsche’s are god mode
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:07 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:50 am Having that Turo Boxster in LA was incredible. Those morning canyon runs made the cost of the car worth every penny.
Mid engined Porsche’s are god mode
So were the roads
max225

Yeah we got plenty of those. You just have to go through beat up Altima hell to get there
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:44 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:39 am

Man, I really miss that.

I enjoy both but some of my favorite drives have been early morning Tail of the Dragon runs (going out solo when I awake at 6 while everyone else is still asleep at the cabin) and also the trips I took to Angeles Crest when I was working out there. I had Turo cars and went up at 5 or 6 AM before work. You have the road to yourself, you can turn around and try corners/sections multiple times if you like, go at whatever pace you like (sometimes I enjoy a full 9/10 pace on a canyon road, sometimes just chillin' at a 6 and soaking in the views/music is also epic).

Once you get up to that 7+/10 level though, my BMW kind of falls on its face. It is a pretty fast car but you really notice the numbness, rev hang, etc. when you're gunning through a canyon or a road course.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

And you're damned right you can tell how good a car is on a canyon. It's why I bought and sold GTIs so frequently, they were great up until about 7/10. Then I'd get in my 951 or even my e30 and pushing those things just got more rewarding. BRZ would be the same way. Hard part is, unless you live really close to those roads, you never really get to enjoy the :stig:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:00 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:44 am

And you're damned right you can tell how good a car is on a canyon. It's why I bought and sold GTIs so frequently, they were great up until about 7/10. Then I'd get in my 951 or even my e30 and pushing those things just got more rewarding. BRZ would be the same way. Hard part is, unless you live really close to those roads, you never really get to enjoy the :stig:
Yep, which is why I always call my BMW a RWD GTI. It is the same thing.

The Corvette was amazing on track and back roads but pretty shit in the city... you could never use all the power, it scraped on everything, couldn't park easily, you know the drill. The Miata I had was a POS but really fun even in like city grids, no other car is that fun at 20 MPH. I'm hoping the BRZ merges these somewhat. It's slow tactile enough to be somewhat engaging in the monotony, fast enough to be fun on track, enough 'not a POS' to be OK for highway stuff.

I guess we'll see.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:00 pm

The Corvette was amazing on track and back roads but pretty shit in the city... you could never use all the power, it scraped on everything, couldn't park easily, you know the drill. The Miata I had was a POS but really fun even in like city grids, no other car is that fun at 20 MPH. I'm hoping the BRZ merges these somewhat. It's slow tactile enough to be somewhat engaging in the monotony, fast enough to be fun on track, enough 'not a POS' to be OK for highway stuff.

I guess we'll see.
Doesn't sound like it based on Coog's feedback, and I'm with him that cars built to handle more than accelerate kind of blow in the city. Torque is the only hope at making city driving fun, and if you have to wind it out all the time, there's really no opportunity to enjoy it. But if you found a Miata fun in the city, you're of a different mindset than us, so you should find it a really nice compromise.

Flame suit on, but a 2.0T Camaro 1LE is probably the most fun all-arounder out there. Torque for the city, but still rewarding to hustle around a track/canyon (less weight on the front than the V8 makes it surprisingly tossable). Too bad there's no glass to see out of.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I think I just prefer AWD turbo things. Turbo torque, all the grip to accelerate from intersections and roundabouts and such, plus spooli boi noises.

I like the 86, I just don't love it, and it mostly comes down to the powertrain. It isn't slow, but it just doesn't feel that engaging. Should've listened to myself from the start, Evo/STi is where I need to be if I also want to be able to carry a kid or two. C6GS would be great too but putting a kid in the hatch would probably be frowned upon.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:06 pm

I guess we'll see.
Doesn't sound like it based on Coog's feedback, and I'm with him that cars built to handle more than accelerate kind of blow in the city. Torque is the only hope at making city driving fun, and if you have to wind it out all the time, there's really no opportunity to enjoy it. But if you found a Miata fun in the city, you're of a different mindset than us, so you should find it a really nice compromise.

Flame suit on, but a 2.0T Camaro 1LE is probably the most fun all-arounder out there. Torque for the city, but still rewarding to hustle around a track/canyon (less weight on the front than the V8 makes it surprisingly tossable). Too bad there's no glass to see out of.
:iono: to me the fun in the Corvette was over in the city by the top of first gear, you get one gear of pull, one shift, and you're done. The Miata was beating the piss out of the thing constantly to keep up with minivans which I found entertaining. You could also drift around corners at like 10 MPH in that thing, which is the only ass out action that is remotely safe in a city/suburban environment.