Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:55 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:39 pm

Friendly reminder that the bulk of this forum now recommends washing your car twice a year and letting the chips fall where they may.
It sort of depends. I think the best way to maintain the paint is to keep it tucked away in a garage. No amount of washing will help if you're sitting on an outside parking lot in the dead of summer at 120F with bird shit burning into your paint.

My 370z NEVER RECOVERED from that. And the M3 also got a nice perma etch as well.

Washing a car weekly or bi weekly is not good IMO. Unless you use a leaf blower to dry you micro scratch the clear coat every time you dry and you introduce the worst element H20 into a vehicle on the regular. My wheels for ex would rust onto my brake rotors. That stopped happening once I stopped the incessant washing
Boooooy do I have opinions on this.

1) If you wanna keep an outside-parked car nice, it needs the chemical and UV protection of a ceramic coating. That's what they're REALLY good at. They keep the UV out and give you far more time to get rid of the bird :poop: before it etches.

2) There is a way to not scratch your car while washing. You need lubrication, clean wash media, and QUALITY drying towels. Do the two bucket method, use a drying aid (ONR works as a drying aid since its adds lubrication or hell just wash the damn car with ONR), and get some decent towels. https://theragcompany.com has incredible, professional grade microfiber for a fraction of what a company like Adam's is gonna rip you off for. My favorite is 'The Gauntlet." It really is a "one pass and its dry" towel.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Tarspin wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:44 pm
RLWake wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:38 pm

Optimum No Rinse. You need no time at all. I fully wash :cheese: in 15 minutes. 25 minutes if I scrub off the fucking brake dust properly. ONR will change your life. ONR is basically detailing Jesus because it's here to save you. I have a gallon of ONR concentrate that can wash 100 cars.
The rain is the real detailing :jesus: , full exterior wash as often as bi-monthly for FREE! Hallelujah!
:disappoint:
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

What’s ONR?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

RLWake wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:23 am This is the first time I'm doing a full 2 step correction on the car. Ideally I'd like to do this once and that's it but I'm not confident I'll get those perfect results for a ceramic coating.

Spring/Summer/Fall, I'm usually washing the car once a week or every other week. Depends on weather of course. I actually only use wax 2 or 3 times a year. Usually once after winter in a big detail, once before winter, and in between I'll just use a spray detailer after each wash which is why I was thinking about a maintainer spray. Right now it's griots best of show detailer.

Where I want longevity is mainly to get through winter when I can't wash the car. Although I'm thinking of getting one of those IK2 foam sprayers next winter so that I can do a hoseless wash.
Start with Gtechniq C2. It's got the same technology of their C1 coating condensed into a really excellent spray. It won't mind one bit if you reapply every 6 months or even longer. It's very easy to use.

Rinseless washes are T H E S H I T. They're all I do. Unless a car is FILTHY, I'm using 1 bucket of water, a 32oz spray bottle, and the TRC Ultra Black Sponge with Optimum No Rinse. ONR will change your LIFE :fuck yeah:
C2v3 right?

No rinse washes even in nice weather? I thought you always wanted water and the hoseless was just for those times you can't get a hose.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:What’s ONR?
Optimum No Rinse

Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Man the New Guy is really going to lighten my wallet with all of these product ideas.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:40 pm Man the New Guy is really going to lighten my wallet with all of these product ideas.
:lolol: True. That's usually [user not found]'s department.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Autogeek says C2v3 can be used as a drying aid as well. Just spray on every other wash while drying? They also say to dilute it but is that necessary?

Does bead maker play well with it? Use C2v3 as the sealant and then bead maker after each wash. Bead maker is probably the better to use for drying aid since it's so cheap.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:43 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:40 pm Man the New Guy is really going to lighten my wallet with all of these product ideas.
:lolol: True. That's usually [user not found]'s department.
Speaking of which, with your meticulous nature @[user not found] should open a detailing business on the side too..... maybe partner with Richard here.....
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:54 pm
RLWake wrote:
Start with Gtechniq C2. It's got the same technology of their C1 coating condensed into a really excellent spray. It won't mind one bit if you reapply every 6 months or even longer. It's very easy to use.

Rinseless washes are T H E S H I T. They're all I do. Unless a car is FILTHY, I'm using 1 bucket of water, a 32oz spray bottle, and the TRC Ultra Black Sponge with Optimum No Rinse. ONR will change your LIFE :fuck yeah:
C2v3 right?

No rinse washes even in nice weather? I thought you always wanted water and the hoseless was just for those times you can't get a hose.

I only ever use water for dirty wheels. That's it. It's an efficiency thing.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:51 pm Autogeek says C2v3 can be used as a drying aid as well. Just spray on every other wash while drying? They also say to dilute it but is that necessary?

Does bead maker play well with it? Use C2v3 as the sealant and then bead maker after each wash. Bead maker is probably the better to use for drying aid since it's so cheap.
Yeah you can use C2V3 as a drying aid but its a little expensive so I wouldn't recommend it.

Bead Maker works great with everything! Exactly, you're gonna want to use C2v3 as your base application and top it with Bead Maker during washes.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

:dillerman:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:58 pm
Irish wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:10 pm

Speaking of which, with your meticulous nature @[user not found] should open a detailing business on the side too..... maybe partner with Richard here.....
I've got other ideas for a business - I'd rather photograph people's clean cars vs. clean them.

Cleaning my own cars is therapeutic, doe.
Decent photography is a large part of the operation. At least I finally have a decent phone camera for clean car photos now,
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

RLWake wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:37 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:51 pm Autogeek says C2v3 can be used as a drying aid as well. Just spray on every other wash while drying? They also say to dilute it but is that necessary?

Yeah you can use C2V3 as a drying aid but its a little expensive so I wouldn't recommend it.

Bead Maker works great with everything! Exactly, you're gonna want to use C2v3 as your base application and top it with Bead Maker during washes.
Will do. Pick up a bottle of carpro eraser as well to clean up after the polish?
max225

Do you guys have any recommendations on the following:
1. What is the best ceramic coating at the moment ? Cquartz still it ? or did it go the ways of the Zaino ?
2. Any towel recoos ? I want to upgrade what I got when it comes to that, I have been using the same rags for 20 years.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:01 pm Do you guys have any recommendations on the following:
1. What is the best ceramic coating at the moment ? Cquartz still it ? or did it go the ways of the Zaino ?
2. Any towel recoos ? I want to upgrade what I got when it comes to that, I have been using the same rags for 20 years.
You failed to read the thread. Cquartz is for peasants.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:17 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:01 pm Do you guys have any recommendations on the following:
That's what I am trying to figure out. it is ironic AF that first it was zaino for YEARS, I still have my stuff that I never used up.. then it switched to Cquartz as the best answer... now it is something NEW again before I even used up all of my C quarts.

Also I am only looking for things I can apply myself. I don't plan on going to a "detailing" shop for a 1k bill for a coating + some BS paint correction.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:21 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:01 pmI have been using the same rags for 20 years.
No wonder you're scratching your paint. :yikes:
I am willing to put up my paint vs yours to compare and contrast. And I didn't state anywhere that my paint is scratched. The Fukushima swallows did the damage to my vehicles.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:28 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:22 pm

I am willing to put up my paint vs yours to compare and contrast. And I didn't state anywhere that my paint is scratched. The Fukushima swallows did the damage to my vehicles.
You said previously you avoid washing your vehicles to prevent scratching...

:iono:

The paint on my :taco: ain't perfect and I :aintcare:

The R53... well, the bodyshop fucked up, so we'll see how that turns out.
Yea I think any wash causes damage, I’m just trying to minimize it. Hence looking for towels. And also looking into ceramic to reduce washes even further
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:35 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:28 pm

You said previously you avoid washing your vehicles to prevent scratching...

:iono:

The paint on my :taco: ain't perfect and I :aintcare:

The R53... well, the bodyshop fucked up, so we'll see how that turns out.
Yea I think any wash causes damage, I’m just trying to minimize it. Hence looking for towels. And also looking into ceramic to reduce washes even further
From what I've researched, pretty much anything from the rag company is good. I just bought another pack of the creature towels and they're great.
max225

troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I think that I have those. They seem fine. I can't tell the damn difference between those and my harbor freight ones :doe:

In a way the harbor freight ones are easier to use because they're thinner.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:22 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:17 pm

That's what I am trying to figure out. it is ironic AF that first it was zaino for YEARS, I still have my stuff that I never used up.. then it switched to Cquartz as the best answer... now it is something NEW again before I even used up all of my C quarts.

Also I am only looking for things I can apply myself. I don't plan on going to a "detailing" shop for a 1k bill for a coating + some BS paint correction.
It's pretty much a Gtechniq boner fest in here.

https://gtechniq.com/shop/auto/kits/c1- ... d-crystal/
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:19 pm
RLWake wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:37 pm

Will do. Pick up a bottle of carpro eraser as well to clean up after the polish?
You can do the eraser but it's not required. Only required when putting on an actual coating
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

1) Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light.

2) Anything from The Rag Company. Those towels will change your life. They dont sell a single bad product.