Tar's Adventures with a GoRf Failomatic

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:10 am
Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:24 am

I'm pulling my ramz out of storage today. I've had three years with them so squeezing a fourth might be a stretch. :popcorn: on that expense.

Did you get a hybrid or base 2.5 engine in your Rav? How does the trans behave?
Just based on age or mileage ? Nothing wrong with 4 year old tires. 40... now that’s a bit of a stretch
I need to look at the treads to see if they are too shallow to last another winter. I'm going to pull them down off of the storage shelf in a few minutes. I'll post up pics.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

First one off the shelf is completely roasted. I blocked it out of my mind. Gotta book an appointment and pick some new tars.

Pic of how bad this one looks:

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:38 am First one off the shelf is completely roasted. I blocked it out of my mind. Gotta book an appointment and pick some new tars.

Pic of how bad this one looks:

Wow yea, that’s completely gone. How many miles on it ? Also major alignment wear... in case you didn’t address that already
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This one not as bad, but the joys of AWD means I'm shopping four tires at a time. :ohwell: , I like installing new ones.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I think that I'm going to throw in an alignment before the next set go on. I haven't needed to do one since I got the car, but the dealer uses some clamp on measuring tool which I'm :notsure: about.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:51 am I think that I'm going to throw in an alignment before the next set go on. I haven't needed to do one since I got the car, but the dealer uses some clamp on measuring tool which I'm :notsure: about.
What do your current tires look like on the car ?
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:51 am I think that I'm going to throw in an alignment before the next set go on. I haven't needed to do one since I got the car, but the dealer uses some clamp on measuring tool which I'm :notsure: about.
You'd probably need an alignment as or after the new set. Fitment might affect alignment, so getting one with current wheels and then taking them off and putting the winter set on might make it off again.

Ideally, you should get an alignment any time you get new tires or you swap the sets for the season.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:19 pm
What do your current tires look like on the car ?
I'm not pulling them since I'm going to a shop anyways but they were thrown on in the spring so I'll have my dude mark each corner and take some pics/measurements.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:55 pm
You'd probably need an alignment as or after the new set. Fitment might affect alignment, so getting one with current wheels and then taking them off and putting the winter set on might make it off again.

Ideally, you should get an alignment any time you get new tires or you swap the sets for the season.
Alignment to the summers? Cool that makes sense from a cost perspective, which BTW, I'm all about.

Price quoted to me is $120 from a guy I connected with on social media through a MR2 group. He has his own shop and does a lot of custom and service work on MR2s. His place is in the ghetto but he is a car enthusiast and cool d00d. He also has some nool equipment and knows VWs fairly well.
razr390

Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:28 pm
razr390 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Alignment to the summers? Cool that makes sense from a cost perspective, which BTW, I'm all about.

Price quoted to me is $120 from a guy I connected with on social media through a MR2 group. He has his own shop and does a lot of custom and service work on MR2s. His place is in the ghetto but he is a car enthusiast and cool d00d. He also has some nool equipment and knows VWs fairly well.
Any time you get different wheels or even new tires, an alignment is recommended. In this instance switching from your summers to winters (I assume this is the discussion?) it should always happen. That wear is indicative of either under-inflated PSI running long term or alignment, or both.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Any time you get different wheels or even new tires, an along me is recommended. In this instance switching from your summers to winters (I assume this is the discussion?) it should always happen. That wear is indicative of either under-inflated PSI running long term or alignment, or both.
I'm curious to see what the alignment reports back.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Any time you get different wheels or even new tires, an alignment is recommended. In this instance switching from your summers to winters (I assume this is the discussion?) it should always happen. That wear is indicative of either under-inflated PSI running long term or alignment, or both.
I'm not doing an alignment every time i switch tires. :lol:
razr390

Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:44 pm
Any time you get different wheels or even new tires, an along me is recommended. In this instance switching from your summers to winters (I assume this is the discussion?) it should always happen. That wear is indicative of either under-inflated PSI running long term or alignment, or both.
From the pic you sent that is 5/7 uneven wear. So either your pressures were completely off or it’s an alignment issue.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:12 pm

From the pic you sent that is 5/7 uneven wear. So either your pressures were completely off or it’s an alignment issue.
It isn't the pressures, I have a portable pump in the car and I check and adjust the tires frequently. The R alignment is a bit more aggressive from the factory so it might just be the wear after three years. However, VW uses some alignment checking tool when they get a car in, and it never alerted them/me that anything was out of spec. The devices just hang off of the tires while it sits parked. Anyone know if those things are any good?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

A replacement subframe was installed after the rock incident, because the old one had a minor nick from the rock, and they could charge a new one to the insurance claim. I guess I should have taken it to a pro alignment shop sometime after it was all buttoned up to make sure that things were still straight.
max225

Pressures don’t cause that type of wear. Too much the middle wears out, not enough both sides do. This is a clear too much/little camber issue
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:00 pm

It isn't the pressures, I have a portable pump in the car and I check and adjust the tires frequently. The R alignment is a bit more aggressive from the factory so it might just be the wear after three years. However, VW uses some alignment checking tool when they get a car in, and it never alerted them/me that anything was out of spec. The devices just hang off of the tires while it sits parked. Anyone know if those things are any good?
:notsure: if it's any good, but it seems ubiquitous. My VW :dillerman: uses one, too.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:41 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:00 pm

:notsure: if it's any good, but it seems ubiquitous. My VW :dillerman: uses one, too.
My indy dude has some high end Hunter-Whatever alignment machine so I'm :excited: to figure out what happened. Although all my tires have a little camber wear, that is the only :roasted: one. The other three are all same with some varying degree barely noticeable from a picture. I'll be more surprised if it isn't coming from the front end.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Checked my summer tars this morning, still on the car until Tuesday at 10am :fuckyeah:

All four dropped by the same amount, good now!

max225

That’s a lot of psi
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:52 am That’s a lot of psi
They dropped from 36 which is where I usually keep them, but I like them to have more air for when they are put away. My tire pressure chart actually recommends filling cold to 39, so it isn't unreasonable.
razr390

Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:56 pm
wap wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:41 pm

My indy dude has some high end Hunter-Whatever alignment machine so I'm :excited: to figure out what happened. Although all my tires have a little camber wear, that is the only :roasted: one. The other three are all same with some varying degree barely noticeable from a picture. I'll be more surprised if it isn't coming from the front end.
Hunter Road Force. Good machine
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:10 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:52 am That’s a lot of psi
They dropped from 36 which is where I usually keep them, but I like them to have more air for when they are put away. My tire pressure chart actually recommends filling cold to 39, so it isn't unreasonable.
Yea depending on the country you’re in it varies from 36-41. Just Vw things I guess. 39 is the recommended US pressure when cold. I have a similar recco on the mini but I like to keep the pressures a bit lower. Ride quality suffers a bit ...but golf has DCC to help with that
max225

razr390 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:24 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:56 pm

Balance <<<<>>>> alignment
razr390

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:25 pm
razr390 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:24 pm

Balance <<<<>>>> alignment
I am :derp: