Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:45 pm

4.0 V6 and 5-speed auto vs 3.5 :flaccid: car V6 and 6-speed auto.

The older combo is less focused on hunting for fuel economy.
Oh, interesting. I figured they updated the 4Runner by now.
Not yet. There was talk of it supposed to be getting the Taco running gear, but that died pretty quick when people started complaining about it's behavior. I want them to update it when the next gen comes out, but not at the expense of messing up a good thing
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:39 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:37 am Also, TRD Pro :truk: info released: https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/02/2019-t ... ges-video/

Big update is the Bilsteins go away in favor of Fox shox, and of course, dat desert air intake, doe.

But check out the stacked fake scoop action!

:whocares:

Toyota needs to step it up a bit.
The big news is the new available TRD Desert Air Intake (or snorkel). Toyota does not call it a snorkel, but says that is helps the truck get cleaner air above the truck when dust becomes a problem in the desert. Toyota says this will help prolong the life of the engine’s air filter/cleaner.

I thought these poser devices were for driving through water? I can see like a removable one perhaps, but DDing a vehicle with a snorkel is mall posing at its best. The only thing I've seen that is stupider is the bed mounted spare tire in the Colorado.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:39 am :whocares:

Toyota needs to step it up a bit.
The big news is the new available TRD Desert Air Intake (or snorkel). Toyota does not call it a snorkel, but says that is helps the truck get cleaner air above the truck when dust becomes a problem in the desert. Toyota says this will help prolong the life of the engine’s air filter/cleaner.

I thought these poser devices were for driving through water? I can see like a removable one perhaps, but DDing a vehicle with a snorkel is mall posing at its best. The only thing I've seen that is stupider is the bed mounted spare tire in the Colorado.
Nope apparently that's why they keep using them in places like Africa where there is obviously plenty of water. The primary purpose of the "snorkel" is to avoid dust intake from the car in front.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 pm
Oh, interesting. I figured they updated the 4Runner by now.
No point, sales are up 10-20% and that thing dates back to 2003 with the powertrain combo. 15 mother fking years old powertrain.
Hey. I resemble that remark.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:31 pm

No point, sales are up 10-20% and that thing dates back to 2003 with the powertrain combo. 15 mother fking years old powertrain.
Hey. I resemble that remark.
Hey now we're talking about an actual :truk: motor, not something that makes over 100hp/liter
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:53 pm

It even outdates the Bro Forks in powertrain dinosaur-ness.

If it ain't broke, don't fucking fix it.
The old four-point-oh in the Taco was a good motor. It never left me wanting for power on test drives, and its reliability is second to none. The 5 speed was fine, not really enough gears for it to get out of sorts. And even if it did temporarily the motor had enough torque down low to make up for it so it didn't matter. I think the 4.0/5AT combo in the Frontier was stronger, but there wasn't anything wrong with the Taco's powertrain. 0-60 was under 8 seconds and you're not going to be driving it like a sports car anyway, totally fine for merging onto highways.
Desertbreh

That is totally wrong. You think the Toyota guys sit on their ass because they have developed this perfect thing? No. They sit on their ass because they can, because they have not had competition until recently, and because it is profitable to do so. Any manufacturer can increase power AND fuel economy if properly motivated. As "Exhibit A and B" see Chevrolet LS/LT development and the Ford Coyote. Same thing with the tranny.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:52 pm

That is totally wrong. You think the Toyota guys sit on their ass because they have developed this perfect thing? No. They sit on their ass because they can, because they have not had competition until recently, and because it is profitable to do so. Any manufacturer can increase power AND fuel economy if properly motivated. As "Exhibit A and B" see Chevrolet LS/LT development and the Ford Coyote. Same thing with the tranny.
I dunno even with all this "competition" are the other trucks that much better ? Obviously, someone will get :triggered: and say YA OMG I WON"T BE FOUND DEAD IN A POS YODER. But it seems that they are all really evenly matched, major difference being the transmission (automatic) and perhaps the rear drums that ppl simply :aintcare:
max225

Other than that... with the mild refresh Toyota is minting money after minimal investment, they did enough to make it "competative" and that's it. Why waste money on a "full redesign" when the ranger (not here), colorado are pretty damn similar and the Frontqueef is even "worse".

They did a smart thing.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:55 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:52 pm

I dunno even with all this "competition" are the other trucks that much better ? Obviously, someone will get :triggered: and say YA OMG I WON"T BE FOUND DEAD IN A POS YODER. But it seems that they are all really evenly matched, major difference being the transmission (automatic) and perhaps the rear drums that ppl simply :aintcare:
I don't really get the small/mid size truck thing. It's all kind of an exercise in mediocrity except for the ZR2/new Raptor Ranger thing. Basically an appliance like a :minivan: If I were going to purchase something with a truck bed, I would go balls deep and get a 2500/3500 Duramax 4X4. Those things actually drive pretty nice.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:56 pm Other than that... with the mild refresh Toyota is minting money after minimal investment, they did enough to make it "competative" and that's it. Why waste money on a "full redesign" when the ranger (not here), colorado are pretty damn similar and the Frontqueef is even "worse".

They did a smart thing.
Of course they did. Let's not characterize it as them offering this amazing consumer product because have reached some plane of perfection :doe:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:01 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:55 pm

I don't really get the small/mid size truck thing. It's all kind of an exercise in mediocrity except for the ZR2/new Raptor Ranger thing. Basically an appliance like a :minivan: If I were going to purchase something with a truck bed, I would go balls deep and get a 2500/3500 Duramax 4X4. Those things actually drive pretty nice.
I like being able to park, and not spend $80,000.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh

Melon wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:01 pm

You got plenty of space there in Baton Rouge, brah, and based on your recent binge spending on trucks, motorcycles, and used krautmobiles, I don't think you care about $ either.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:08 pm

You got plenty of space there in Baton Rouge, brah, and based on your recent binge spending on trucks, motorcycles, and used krautmobiles, I don't think you care about $ either.
Haha, Once green truk is sold, it will be a zero net sum game.
I also worked a shit load of overtime for several months, and got lucky with Bitcoin.

Blue truk is perfect, meets my requirements.
It's a total appliance, like a nice cordless drill, it's there to do a thing.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I should start a van thread :triggered:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:17 pm I should start a van thread :triggered:
Your wife will love that.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:09 pm

:dat:

I have no regrets at all. I have the vehicle I need at the price I was willing to pay. $40k for any vehicle is a hard pill to swallow for me.
:dat:

I wouldn't mind the updated V6 and 8spd combo in the Colorado, but I still don't regret my decision. It's so hard to justify that much for a new vehicle, especially when you know it didn't cost anywhere near that to build the damn thing. I really wanted a F150, but wasn't willing to spend $65K+ to get what I wanted in one.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Man, I lived 2 years with my Silverado and never again. Piloting that thing around just got old fast. Sure, I got "used to it" but it was never really enjoyable. Crazy comfortable on the highway and whatnot. Could take a load of mulch like few other vehicles can. Could even tow a CTS-V wagon from Dallas to Detroit straight in comfort. But overall, eh.

I love my midsizer so much more. It still has all the utility I need, but is maneuverable and fine in the city (which I drive in daily because I work in it). I've pretty much considered my ZR2 purchased at this point.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:25 pm Man, I lived 2 years with my Silverado and never again. Piloting that thing around just got old fast. Sure, I got "used to it" but it was never really enjoyable. Crazy comfortable on the highway and whatnot. Could take a load of mulch like few other vehicles can. Could even tow a CTS-V wagon from Dallas to Detroit straight in comfort. But overall, eh.

I love my midsizer so much more. It still has all the utility I need, but is maneuverable and fine in the city (which I drive in daily because I work in it). I've pretty much considered my ZR2 purchased at this point.
:fuckyeah: Blurple ZedArr2 will stick around!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:25 pm Man, I lived 2 years with my Silverado and never again. Piloting that thing around just got old fast. Sure, I got "used to it" but it was never really enjoyable. Crazy comfortable on the highway and whatnot. Could take a load of mulch like few other vehicles can. Could even tow a CTS-V wagon from Dallas to Detroit straight in comfort. But overall, eh.

I love it way too much still to off it. We'll see what :dill: s are happening, but there's probably a 95% chance I'll just buy it out because I won't be able to get another one that cheap.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:40 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:37 pm

I love it way too much still to off it. We'll see what :dill: s are happening, but there's probably a 95% chance I'll just buy it out because I won't be able to get another one that cheap.
Whats your buy out amt?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:40 pm I love it way too much still to off it. We'll see what :dill: s are happening, but there's probably a 95% chance I'll just buy it out because I won't be able to get another one that cheap.
Whats your buy out amt?
$32k after 2 years. MSRP was $46k.

I got a bit of a :unicorn: deal on it because the dealer added cap cost reduction cash to the deal on top of my employee :dill: which almost never happens. I won't be able to lease another one this cheap, I probably won't be able to buy a used one that cheap (that isn't ragged out), and I don't want anything else, so :iono:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:59 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:43 pm

Whats your buy out amt?

I got a bit of a :unicorn: deal on it because the dealer added cap cost reduction cash to the deal on top of my employee :dill: which almost never happens. I won't be able to lease another one this cheap, I probably won't be able to buy a used one that cheap (that isn't ragged out), and I don't want anything else, so :iono:
So if I am doing the :math: right. If your true payment is 350... say 325 of that is towards the truck *24= ~7560. ~39,560 total. So you got 7.5k off sticker on the :truck:

Dem employee benefits.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:59 pm

So if I am doing the :math: right. If your true payment is 350... say 325 of that is towards the truck *24= ~7560. ~39,560 total. So you got 7.5k off sticker on the :truck:

Dem employee benefits.
My payment is $325. $300 goes to the truck.

I got nearly $8k off. My employee discount was worth like $6k, then they tacked on $2k in extra cap cost reduction. The truck had been sitting for a few months, so I think they wanted it moved. It was a "leftover" 2017 at the time, plus I leased my Silverado from them so they wanted to keep me happy? I also hit them up right before I knew they had to post sales for their mid-month bonus.

It is the most :unicorn: ZR2 deal I've ever read about. Most people can't get much under MSRP on the things.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:09 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:01 pm

Dem employee benefits.
My payment is $325. $300 goes to the truck.

I got nearly $8k off. My employee discount was worth like $6k, then they tacked on $2k in extra cap cost reduction. The truck had been sitting for a few months, so I think they wanted it moved. It was a "leftover" 2017 at the time, plus I leased my Silverado from them so they wanted to keep me happy? I also hit them up right before I knew they had to post sales for their mid-month bonus.

It is the most :unicorn: ZR2 deal I've ever read about. Most people can't get much under MSRP on the things.
Yep. Makes sense.