Jan 2017 Automotive sales

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Sales at General Motors, which sells the most vehicles in the U.S., fell 3.8 percent from last January, while Ford’s sales were down 1 percent. Fiat Chrysler’s sales dropped 11 percent. Nissan’s sales rose 6 percent thanks to strong truck and SUV sales.
Incentive spending averaged an estimated $3,635 per vehicle in January, up 21.6 percent from a year ago
I don't know if this just means that it costs Automakers more money to borrow money since the fed raised rates and everyone is looking for dat 0%

Either way the troubling trend continues... everyone is still chasing dem sales... however I feel like the implosion is still a ways away...

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/01/u ... -declines/
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

FCA seems so hosed.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

ATP still grew $800 YOY, looks like mostly from trucks and trim mix, luxury was down a bit.

Yet, incentive as % of ATP grew 0.5 ppts, to 11.5%, and the highest January ever. Luckily, January incentive spending was down compared to Q4, so at least OEMs have turned down the taps somewhat, which could contribute to lower sales (it usually does).

But it's an awfully high way to start the year. Not a good sign as the year goes on. Highest January spending ever, yet sales are down.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:03 pm FCA seems so hosed.
They have been for a while.

But aside from the Pacifica, they haven't had a new product in a while. Hopefully that will change to keep them going...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:42 pm Slow month at the MINI diller in Jan for sure...

:flaccid:
It was a slow month at most dillers if it makes you feel any better...
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:13 pm ATP still grew $800 YOY, looks like mostly from trucks and trim mix, luxury was down a bit.

Yet, incentive as % of ATP grew 0.5 ppts, to 11.5%, and the highest January ever. Luckily, January incentive spending was down compared to Q4, so at least OEMs have turned down the taps somewhat, which could contribute to lower sales (it usually does).

But it's an awfully high way to start the year. Not a good sign as the year goes on. Highest January spending ever, yet sales are down.
You can't compare Jan to Q4 because you have to compare seasonality. Highest incentives are always in year end.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:13 pm ATP still grew $800 YOY, looks like mostly from trucks and trim mix, luxury was down a bit.

You can't compare Jan to Q4 because you have to compare seasonality. Highest incentives are always in year end.
Well, yea...But my point is that if incentives WEREN'T lower, we'd be in deep.

I bet the Delta from Dec to Jan is the lowest it's been in a while. I'll look tomorrow.
max225

Vehicle Total Sold Percent change from Jan. 2016
Ford F-Series 57,995 12.5 percent MURICA
Chevrolet Silverado 35,553 -6.1 percent MURICA
Ram Pickup 33,769 3.7 percent MURICA
Honda CR-V 29,287 52.5 percent :disgust: :mindblown:
Nissan Rogue 28,760 45.5 percent :disgust: :mindblown:
Honda Civic 23,095 -13.6 percent :notbad: LOOK AT THAT SALES DROP
Toyota RAV4 22,155 2.8 percent :disgust:
Ford Escape 20,588 7.1 percent :disgust:
Toyota Camry 20,313 -24.3 percent :disgust: DAT DROP
Toyota Corolla 20,107 -10.1 percent :disgust:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CUVs taking over. Dang.

The Nissan Rogue is mostly because of the Star Wars Rogue 1 ad campaign, which was ingenious.
Johnny_P

Holy shit, CRVs are flying off the lots.
max225

Grand Cherokee is quite shocking too, those must be "leftover new" incentives
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote:Image

Holy shit, CRVs are flying off the lots.
:dat: redesign doe. Also, who doesn't love sitting up nice and high in zippy fuel efficient Jap soov with comfy ride and heated steering wheel? Rav next for a reskin? They can't sit around and watch the CRV pump numbers like this.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The civic styling is really paying off now! Doesn't help that CR is eating it alive with poor reliability claims
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:07 pm The civic styling is really paying off now! Doesn't help that CR is eating it alive with poor reliability claims
I know they didn't recommend the 2.0 engine due to the piston ring issue. Are there other problems?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:07 pm The civic styling is really paying off now! Doesn't help that CR is eating it alive with poor reliability claims
I know they didn't recommend the 2.0 engine due to the piston ring issue. Are there other problems?
Yes the stereo is riddled with first model year issues. Rear sill in the sedan rattles with radio play. Fit and finish issues. Nothing serious doe. I think that the newest releases are probably 100% better.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gotta have the red solid dots to sell cars to all the :derps:
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Yes the stereo is riddled with first model year issues. Rear sill in the sedan rattles with radio play. Fit and finish issues. Nothing serious doe. I think that the newest releases are probably 100% better.
Yeah that's first model year tooling issues at the assembly line. Nothing drastic it seems, aside from the piston ring issue which was caught quickly. Still don't know actual reliability though, it's too new.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:21 pm Gotta have the red solid dots to sell cars to all the :derps:
I mean. I will reference CR in the future I think. I can't deal with another train wreck like my GTI was.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:19 pm Yes the stereo is riddled with first model year issues. Rear sill in the sedan rattles with radio play. Fit and finish issues. Nothing serious doe. I think that the newest releases are probably 100% better.
Yeah that's first model year tooling issues at the assembly line. Nothing drastic it seems, aside from the piston ring issue which was caught quickly. Still don't know actual reliability though, it's too new.
I feel like Hondas are good but not great nowadays. I'm not expecting too much but feel good about 200k/8 yrs without MAJOR issues.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:21 pm Gotta have the red solid dots to sell cars to all the :derps:
I mean. I will reference CR in the future I think. I can't deal with another train wreck like my GTI was.
I keep it in mind always, it wasn't wrong about the TL and TDI
Truedelta.com was recommended by :[user not found]: and seems neat. I follow it along.
max225

wait how? They are down 14% yoy.
Cruze
Elantra
Accent are all up in double digits. If I had to make a racist guess... :mahtroy: "Entry level" "we can get you into a new car on 84 months 15%" purchases.
Last edited by max225 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
I keep it in mind always, it wasn't wrong about the TL and TDI
Truedelta.com was recommended by :[user not found]: and seems neat. I follow it along.
Truedelta is only as good as the people putting info into it are though.
I mean. Truedelta seems somewhat accurate on cars with chronic problems and should be a decent indicator as to which car has a better probability of being reliable than another. I.e. the Civic is rated higher than the GTI. Its nice that its dynamic too. As the car ages and they gather more data the rating can change.
max225

I never had good experiences with true delta. I feel like forums are the best resource for issues, because ppl bitch here first. WAYYY before it becomes a "chronic" problem.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote:
Cruze
Elantra
Accent are all up in double digits. If I had to make a racist guess... :mahtroy: "Entry level" "we can get you into a new car on 84 months 15%" purchases.
Stupid sarcasm font isn't working again. :rage:
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:43 pm
maxtdi wrote:
Cruze
Elantra
Stupid sarcasm font isn't working again. :rage:
:disappoint: I fail again....

I mean they have the strongest lineup ever... Hatch/sedan/coupe SI soon... It is as complete as it has ever been.