Global Warming - Discussion-Rant

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Worse worse case err'one thinks I'm a moran
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:33 pm Worse worse case err'one thinks I'm a moran Image
Nah. We :wub: our resident Canuck.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:33 pm Worse worse case err'one thinks I'm a moran Image
It's the best forum, without a doubt! :wub:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:05 pm
wap wrote:
It's the best forum, without a doubt! :wub:
:dat:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Catholics can at least claim to be the one true version of Christianity, so they got that going for them.....I'd rather have a few pederast than a false prophet nailing his bitchy ass demands to my door leading the way.....and while we're on the subject, I don't recall Jesus having a family/wife/kids Cingreessman Ryan.

All this assumes you believe in this BS but still.

:trollface:
:yikes:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

brain go brrrrrr
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:32 am so, uh, global warming.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaellyn ... 6d53275423
"Why not a carbon tax? Unfortunately, many conservatives are so rigidly opposed to any tax increase that they will not admit the superiority of this approach. In some states, the mania for tax cuts was so strong that basic services began to suffer, to the point that even conservatives had to agree to higher taxes to fix roads, improve schools, and so forth, rather like a vaccine opponent faced with a measles outbreak."
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:37 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:32 am so, uh, global warming.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaellyn ... 6d53275423
"Why not a carbon tax? Unfortunately, many conservatives are so rigidly opposed to any tax increase that they will not admit the superiority of this approach. In some states, the mania for tax cuts was so strong that basic services began to suffer, to the point that even conservatives had to agree to higher taxes to fix roads, improve schools, and so forth, rather like a vaccine opponent faced with a measles outbreak."
yes. print money to expand a .gov sector to audit compliance. All the while driving up the costs, to solve an issue that even at best case of 100% global compliance, WE CANT CORRECT/CHANGE.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote:
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:37 am "Why not a carbon tax? Unfortunately, many conservatives are so rigidly opposed to any tax increase that they will not admit the superiority of this approach. In some states, the mania for tax cuts was so strong that basic services began to suffer, to the point that even conservatives had to agree to higher taxes to fix roads, improve schools, and so forth, rather like a vaccine opponent faced with a measles outbreak."
yes. print money to expand a .gov sector to audit compliance. All the while driving up the costs, to solve an issue that even at best case of 100% global compliance, WE CANT CORRECT/CHANGE.
The planet needs sunscreen.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:37 am

Well I didn't write the article.

I'll ask you, do you have health insurance?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:44 am
dubshow wrote:
The planet needs sunscreen.
Hawaii just banned it so there will be more to go around
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:44 am The planet needs sunscreen.
Oh seriously? More deets
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:46 am
KYGTIGuy wrote:
Oh seriously? More deets
https://www.outsideonline.com/2302301/h ... -sunscreen
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:58 pm Catholics can at least claim to be the one true version of Christianity, so they got that going for them.....I'd rather have a few pederast than a false prophet nailing his bitchy ass demands to my door leading the way.....and while we're on the subject, I don't recall Jesus having a family/wife/kids Cingreessman Ryan.

All this assumes you believe in this BS but still.

:trollface:
:yikes:
Are you kidding me? Have you ever known a Jewish mom who DIDN'T desperately try to get her Jewish son married as soon as he was of age? :lol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:46 am Oh seriously? More deets
https://www.outsideonline.com/2302301/h ... -sunscreen
:notbad: progress with alternates from companies like All Good! :like:

In the words of :225: "the world needs a plague" lol
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:11 am
:notbad: progress with alternates from companies like All Good! :like:

In the words of :225: "the world needs a plague" lol
That article was written before the vote but it did pass. Effective 2021 iirc
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

brain go brrrrrr
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The Krakatoa eruption is interesting as hell if you have the time to get into it
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:24 am The Krakatoa eruption is interesting as hell if you have the time to get into it
Cliffs?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:24 am The Krakatoa eruption is interesting as hell if you have the time to get into it
Cliffs?
The 1883 Krakatoa eruption darkened the sky worldwide for years afterwards and produced spectacular sunsets throughout the world for many months. British artist William Ashcroft made thousands of colour sketches of the red sunsets halfway around the world from Krakatoa in the years after the eruption. The ash caused "such vivid red sunsets that fire engines were called out in New York, Poughkeepsie, and New Haven to quench the apparent conflagration."[17] This eruption also produced a Bishop's Ring around the sun by day, and a volcanic purple light at twilight.

In 2004, an astronomer proposed the idea that the blood-red sky shown in Edvard Munch's famous 1893 painting The Scream is also an accurate depiction of the sky over Norway after the eruption.[18]

There are better articles out there but this was easy to find
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1883_er ... f_Krakatoa
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am

Cliffs?
The 1883 Krakatoa eruption darkened the sky worldwide for years afterwards and produced spectacular sunsets throughout the world for many months. British artist William Ashcroft made thousands of colour sketches of the red sunsets halfway around the world from Krakatoa in the years after the eruption. The ash caused "such vivid red sunsets that fire engines were called out in New York, Poughkeepsie, and New Haven to quench the apparent conflagration."[17] This eruption also produced a Bishop's Ring around the sun by day, and a volcanic purple light at twilight.

In 2004, an astronomer proposed the idea that the blood-red sky shown in Edvard Munch's famous 1893 painting The Scream is also an accurate depiction of the sky over Norway after the eruption.[18]

:science:
Neat. I knew about the years long darkening but not the rest of it.

The Santorini eruption of ca 1650 BC is pretty fascinating, too, if you're into that sort of thing.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:17 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm

The Santorini eruption of ca 1650 BC is pretty fascinating, too, if you're into that sort of thing.
I remember learning that it was supposedly the loudest sounds ever recorded on Earth and then going down a rabbit hole
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:42 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:17 pm

I remember learning that it was supposedly the loudest sounds ever recorded on Earth and then going down a rabbit hole
The loudest sound ever heard by humans, yeah. Massive tsunami's across the Mediterranean. 10's of meters of ash buried the island, including a whole city, much like Pompeii, but over 1700 years earlier than Pompeii. You can visit this town today. I've been there twice. It was just discovered in 1967 and will likely take another 10-200 years to fully excavate. Every home that has been uncovered so far has been 2-3 stories tall with interior staircases, which was very rare for the 2nd millennium BC, with beautiful frescos on most interior walls, and, get this, running water and flushing toilets and a municipal sewage system. Likely wiped out the Minoan civilization, or at least crippled it to the point that they were easily conquered by the Mycenaeans. Also quite possibly the origin of the Atlantis myth and some say it was the cause of the Red Sea parting for Moses and the column of fire, if you remember from the movie 10 Commandments.

Fascinating stuff. If you're interested, this is a 5/7 book on the subject.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:20 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:42 pm

The loudest sound ever heard by humans, yeah. Massive tsunami's across the Mediterranean. 10's of meters of ash buried the island, including a whole city, much like Pompeii, but over 1700 years earlier than Pompeii. You can visit this town today. I've been there twice. It was just discovered in 1967 and will likely take another 10-200 years to fully excavate. Every home that has been uncovered so far has been 2-3 stories tall with interior staircases, which was very rare for the 2nd millennium BC, with beautiful frescos on most interior walls, and, get this, running water and flushing toilets and a municipal sewage system. Likely wiped out the Minoan civilization, or at least crippled it to the point that they were easily conquered by the Mycenaeans. Also quite possibly the origin of the Atlantis myth and some say it was the cause of the Red Sea parting for Moses and the column of fire, if you remember from the movie 10 Commandments.

I've been to Pompeii. I was 14 and remember the orgy paintings..
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:36 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:20 pm

I've been to Pompeii. I was 14 and remember the orgy paintings..
Yup, the house of the brothers or something like that.

Read that book I posted. It's :mindblown: