Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:44 am I think getting AS on the Jeep is like getting winter tires on an STI and driving on them in the summer and or on random auto x events. It creates a needless compromise.

I think you’re a little confused by my initial point.
There are 3 sets of tires offered on the heep.
The as tires are literally minivan tires they come stock on the sport and Sahara.
The “upgraded” AT tires are similar to something you’d get on a trd taco and should not be much worse than the no seasons for DD purposes and do plenty fine for anything I’d ever throw at it. While the no seasons would still have comprises.
The rubicon tires are very very serious off road tires but jeep said they put a shit ton of research into them for the JL and they are far more streetable than the JK tires. They were specifically developed with the fact that many mall the jeeps in mind while still being super off road capable. Here the question is do they ride significantly worse than the ATs for me at least. Something I don’t know yet
#2 is the golden ticket then
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:44 am I think getting AS on the Jeep is like getting winter tires on an STI and driving on them in the summer and or on random auto x events. It creates a needless compromise.

I think you’re a little confused by my initial point.
There are 3 sets of tires offered on the heep.
The as tires are literally minivan tires they come stock on the sport and Sahara.
The “upgraded” AT tires are similar to something you’d get on a trd taco and should not be much worse than the no seasons for DD purposes and do plenty fine for anything I’d ever throw at it. While the no seasons would still have comprises.
The rubicon tires are very very serious off road tires but jeep said they put a shit ton of research into them for the JL and they are far more streetable than the JK tires. They were specifically developed with the fact that many mall the jeeps in mind while still being super off road capable. Here the question is do they ride significantly worse than the ATs for me at least. Something I don’t know yet
#2 is the golden ticket then
That was kind of my thinking... but I’d still like to try the top of the line Rubi as well.

I actually specifically took a pic of the tire on the Sahara and wheels :disgust: that’s the one I drove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am

"I might drive to Tahoe once in my life, I better buy AT tires" is about as stupid an argument as "I live in Philadelphia where it snows twice a season, I better buy snow tires"
Spouting opinions on shit you are clueless about is a stupid idea.

Maybe out there you drive in the snow and nobody give a shit, here if you try to get over the pass without M+S tires or chains the CalTrans guys and the CHP pull your ass over at the checkpoint.

I live a couple hours from said checkpoint (and so does Max), and I know he's been there a few times... I go 4-5 times a year in the snow.

So, kindly fuck right off about your opinions on this and your slanted comments about how I spend my money on paint correction and protection. Do I come out and tell you you're a fuckhead for everything stupid I think you do? No.. If you'd like, the list is long and I can do so.
:bravo:

:waxer: :waxer: :waxer:
:waxer: :wasteful: :waxer:
:waxer: :waxer: :waxer:

:popcorn:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:02 am

So, kindly fuck right off about your opinions on this and your slanted comments about how I spend my money on paint correction and protection. Do I come out and tell you you're a fuckhead for everything stupid I think you do? No.. If you'd like, the list is long and I can do so.
but maybe you should # :wasteful:
Nope.. honestly it is not worth it.

There are a handful people here I like. The rest I couldn't give two shits about if I'm being honest. Fuck them if they want to make stupid comments about me wasting money on stuff when they have no perspective in their position... they can go onto my ignore list I guess.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Is M + S mud and snow? :notsure:

Im rocking the stock BFG A/T. They did :notbad: in the very days of snow and ice here in the swamp. I also blazed some mud really well at father in law's swamp property on christmas.

ENOUGH so that he stopped calling my jeep the "pussy ass jeep with leather". He has an 08 SPORT JKU with 3.5 lift on MUDZ. and has NEVER gone off road.

I had a good :lolol: when I put the seat heater on for him. About 5 mins into the backroads. "WTF is the panzy shit?! Turn those faggot heaters off"
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

"I might drive to Tahoe once in my life, I better buy AT tires" is about as stupid an argument as "I live in Philadelphia where it snows twice a season, I better buy snow tires"

Maybe out there you drive in the snow and nobody give a shit, here if you try to get over the pass without M+S tires or chains the CalTrans guys and the CHP pull your ass over at the checkpoint.

I live a couple hours from said checkpoint (and so does Max), and I know he's been there a few times... I go 4-5 times a year in the snow.

:like:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 am

I've seen the checkpoints broseph. I don't see how it's that big of a deal to put chains on your car a couple times a year and endure the shitty braking, handling, and grip levels of AT tires the entire rest of the year. But to each their own, whatever floats your boat.
Real world example:

Caravaning to Tahoe last year we had 3 cars. I was in the Jeep and was able to drive by everyone putting chains on. The two others had to stop and put on chains with every other moron from California that can't even drive in a light rain, and all the 18 wheelers. My wife and I got to the cabin 2 hours before our friends because they got stuck behind all the trucks and :derp:

This is a Jeep, so braking and handling don't really matter, you aren't supposed to drive it like I drive my 1LE or Z06 which have Max Summer tires on them. But, since you drive what you do, maybe you're so into the "scene" you think everything needs to be driven at 10/10ths all the time? Launch control from every stoplight "Broseph", you live your live 60 feet at a time, eh?

That is the big deal.
Johnny_P

:dat: but I think I do a pretty good job myself of highlighting how moronic I am.
-Bought a 300 HP $35k version of a $15k car to get bashed up in a city and never exceed 30 MPH
-Took 3 years to buy said car while driving around a beat ass broken sunroof 3-cylinder GTI
-After cranging the hell out of that purchase I went and lit a pile of 13 benjamins on fire on the wrong wheels and tires for conditions I never experience for said car
-Hate my job but stay in it anyway
-Don't have a credit card with any rewards
-Got an over-energetic pit bull as a first dog and spend a retarded amount of money taking her to day care just so she's calm enough to not drive me insane when I get home. Also retarded amount of money on 3 separate trainers to train said dog.
-Spent $5k last year on relationship therapy only to still not have sex ever and take on more home responsibilities than I ever have.
-I basically financially support my girlfriend by paying rent and buying all groceries because her organization can't afford to pay her a living wage.
-Can't make a decision on a new mountain bike for the last 2 years or hell even road bike wheels that are $300 tops
-Literally living in a shithole house in a poverty neighborhood despite making more than almost all of my friends who have newer houses.

I miss anything?
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:56 am

There are a handful people here I like. The rest I couldn't give two shits about if I'm being honest. Fuck them if they want to make stupid comments about me wasting money on stuff when they have no perspective in their position... they can go onto my ignore list I guess.
I'm envious of several people on here, you being one of them, for what they have that I don't. But, I realize that it's mostly my own fault for taking so long to decide on a career path and being late to the game really. While I may not agree with everything that gets thrown around, the good and the bad, you've never struck me as someone to do something for the hell of it without having done your research first, and having a solid reason for doing it because of that.

It's the uninformed opinions that have started to keep me away from here though; well that and the fact that having an infant keeps me pretty occupied so I have little free time right now. I enjoy your posts, have learned quiet a bit from just sitting back and reading/listening to the advice you give, both direct and indirect, and it's helped me a lot. I'd rather have more people like you around this place, your knowledge and advice is worth more than the bullshit that gets spewed on a daily basis here.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:57 am Is M + S mud and snow? :notsure:

Im rocking the stock BFG A/T. They did :notbad: in the very days of snow and ice here in the swamp. I also blazed some mud really well at father in law's swamp property on christmas.

ENOUGH so that he stopped calling my jeep the "pussy ass jeep with leather". He has an 08 SPORT JKU with 3.5 lift on MUDZ. and has NEVER gone off road.

I had a good :lolol: when I put the seat heater on for him. About 5 mins into the backroads. "WTF is the panzy shit?! Turn those faggot heaters off"
Yes.

These are the minimum tires that CalTrans/CHP allows to go over the pass without chains on a 4x4 vehicle, during chain enforcement times.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 am

I've seen the checkpoints broseph. I don't see how it's that big of a deal to put chains on your car a couple times a year and endure the shitty braking, handling, and grip levels of AT tires the entire rest of the year. But to each their own, whatever floats your boat.
Real world example:

Caravaning to Tahoe last year we had 3 cars. I was in the Jeep and was able to drive by everyone putting chains on. The two others had to stop and put on chains with every other moron from California that can't even drive in a light rain, and all the 18 wheelers. My wife and I got to the cabin 2 hours before our friends because they got stuck behind all the trucks and :derp:

This is a Jeep, so braking and handling don't really matter, you aren't supposed to drive it like I drive my 1LE or Z06 which have Max Summer tires on them. But, since you drive what you do, maybe you're so into the "scene" you think everything needs to be driven at 10/10ths all the time? Launch control from every stoplight "Broseph", you live your live 60 feet at a time, eh?

That is the big deal.
Nah just better road manners in general. I mean the braking on the JKU is the worst of any vehicle currently on sale, with tires likely being a major contributor of that. If the initial reviews of the JL's road manners were done on the minivan tires and everyone came back saying it drives like a modern automobile that's encouraging. Just trying to be realistic about how the vehicle will be used.

And I'm so far removed from any scene it's hilarious that I drive what I do. I'm the guy going 60 in the right lane just wishing to be left alone on the highway, or the guy accelerating to 60 in 12 seconds to get Mr. Aggressive to pass me and leave me alone.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:04 pm

:dat: but I think I do a pretty good job myself of highlighting how moronic I am.
-Bought a 300 HP $35k version of a $15k car to get bashed up in a city and never exceed 30 MPH
-Took 3 years to buy said car while driving around a beat ass broken sunroof 3-cylinder GTI
-After cranging the hell out of that purchase I went and lit a pile of 13 benjamins on fire on the wrong wheels and tires for conditions I never experience for said car
-Got an over-energetic pit bull as a first dog and spend a retarded amount of money taking her to day care just so she's calm enough to not drive me insane when I get home. Also retarded amount of money on 3 separate trainers to train said dog.
-Spent $5k last year on relationship therapy only to still not have sex ever and take on more home responsibilities than I ever have.
-I basically financially support my girlfriend by paying rent and buying all groceries because her organization can't afford to pay her a living wage.
-Can't make a decision on a new mountain bike for the last 2 years or hell even road bike wheels that are $300 tops
-Literally living in a shithole house in a poverty neighborhood despite making more than almost all of my friends who have newer houses.

I miss anything?
#johnnyh8ful

edit:
brain go brrrrrr
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:34 am

It sure would suck to have to get out on the side of the freeway and put chains on a Jeep when going to Tahoe.. I go up that way enough times a year to make it a requirement to have tires that can handle snow.
Winter tires work as a function of temperature. So below 7C average you will get better braking/handling vs summers. The science is sound. Your weather is similar this region around Stuttgart and there is a reason winters are mandatory here. THEY FKN WORK.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:11 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:03 pm

Real world example:

That is the big deal.
Nah just better road manners in general. I mean the braking on the JKU is the worst of any vehicle currently on sale, with tires likely being a major contributor of that. If the initial reviews of the JL's road manners were done on the minivan tires and everyone came back saying it drives like a modern automobile that's encouraging. Just trying to be realistic about how the vehicle will be used.

And I'm so far removed from any scene it's hilarious that I drive what I do. I'm the guy going 60 in the right lane just wishing to be left alone on the highway, or the guy accelerating to 60 in 12 seconds to get Mr. Aggressive to pass me and leave me alone.
:lolol:

:aintcare: but really. :wtf: does it even matter? Braking? Yes, they work. You drive 60 in the slow lane? Great a JKU can hit 60 on the on ramp.

The later JKU with updated suspension drive WAY the fuck better than the 08-10s. I have enough seat time to notice. Chlaupabatman's 2017 4" lift on 37" BFG K02. It wobbled and hobbled down the road. Yet, It drives miles better than the same early model JKU with similar mods on 35s.

You are nit picking the shit out of a vehicle that just isnt designed for the tasks you are trying to measure it against.

The :jeep: sucks. But it does everything just good enough. Want luxury shit that can go off road? Go buy a G wagon or a Range Rover. Y'all nit picking the FUCK out of a car that the rest of the world has universally agreed is :notbad: and trying to read between fuckboi reviews of the new hotness of :wasteful:

Just go buy a lifted suki samuri and 35" and :gtfo: :scrooge:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:11 pm

I miss anything?
#johnnyh8ful

edit:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
:lolol: :wasteful: :lolol:
Johnny_P

I miss anything?
#johnnyh8ful
It is what it is. Not a whole lot of good going on right now.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:27 pm

#johnnyh8ful
great. so just go buy a :jeep: as a second vehicle.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:26 pm

#johnnyh8ful

edit:
:dat:
I'm pretty much King Retard.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

#johnnyh8ful
make a change man....
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:29 pm

great. so just go buy a :jeep: as a second vehicle.
It's the only responsible thing to do.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:29 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:26 pm

:dat:
I'm pretty much King Retard.
#SofaKing
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:05 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:56 am

I'm envious of several people on here, you being one of them, for what they have that I don't. But, I realize that it's mostly my own fault for taking so long to decide on a career path and being late to the game really. While I may not agree with everything that gets thrown around, the good and the bad, you've never struck me as someone to do something for the hell of it without having done your research first, and having a solid reason for doing it because of that.

It's the uninformed opinions that have started to keep me away from here though; well that and the fact that having an infant keeps me pretty occupied so I have little free time right now. I enjoy your posts, have learned quiet a bit from just sitting back and reading/listening to the advice you give, both direct and indirect, and it's helped me a lot. I'd rather have more people like you around this place, your knowledge and advice is worth more than the bullshit that gets spewed on a daily basis here.
Thank you, seriously.

I don't want to derail this anymore, but will just say you shouldn't envy me. I'm a lot older than most of the people here and when I was their age I wasn't in my position. I do try to research and investigate everything, this is my nature being an engineer. I don't make any larger purchases lightly without hours of back and forth of the pros/cons in my head and on paper.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:32 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:05 pm

Thank you, seriously.

I don't want to derail this anymore, but will just say you shouldn't envy me. I'm a lot older than most of the people here and when I was their age I wasn't in my position. I do try to research and investigate everything, this is my nature being an engineer. I don't make any larger purchases lightly without hours of back and forth of the pros/cons in my head and on paper.
:waxer: :fax:

:notbad:

meanwhile, ima just get back to work. :like:
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:11 pm

:lolol:

:aintcare: but really. :wtf: does it even matter? Braking? Yes, they work. You drive 60 in the slow lane? Great a JKU can hit 60 on the on ramp.

The later JKU with updated suspension drive WAY the fuck better than the 08-10s. I have enough seat time to notice. Chlaupabatman's 2017 4" lift on 37" BFG K02. It wobbled and hobbled down the road. Yet, It drives miles better than the same early model JKU with similar mods on 35s.

You are nit picking the shit out of a vehicle that just isnt designed for the tasks you are trying to measure it against.

The :jeep: sucks. But it does everything just good enough. Want luxury shit that can go off road? Go buy a G wagon or a Range Rover. Y'all nit picking the FUCK out of a car that the rest of the world has universally agreed is :notbad: and trying to read between fuckboi reviews of the new hotness of :wasteful:

Just go buy a lifted suki samuri and 35" and :gtfo: :scrooge:
I'd probably love a Jeep honestly. I wanted a JKU but didn't care for the floaty and shimmying ride. I don't drive fast as is, I did notice the awful brakes, and did notice the steering that's merely a suggestion to the car instead of a command to change direction. But who cares, I'm not an enthusiast anyway and the Jeep has big bumpers if I rear end someone damage will be minimal.

Like the rest of everyone who buys these, including your buddy, I'd just want it for the tough image and durability and capability that I'd never use. I'm actually not nit picking it, I'm saying IDGAF what tires are on it.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

This thread...wow.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.