Any electronic gurus here? Double reverse cam setup

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

OK, finally had some lightbulb moments, and several weren't completely my fault.
1) The video in from the head unit isn't really "video in". It's a yellow rca cable that SHOULD of worked in my mind. There's a maroon jack labeled "Remote Camera In" back there as well. I wasn't looking for it because to me, yellow is video, it said video on it... So I made the wrong assumption.
2) I got it to acknowledge both of my cameras but now I'm trying to figure out how to get it to acknowledge them only when I flip the switch... And not have to go through my settings, turn the camera on, and then flip the switch to one or the other. I just want it to detect power and give that camera priority over the screen.
I found that there's a violet/white white in the back that you're supposed to tie into the rear reverse lights so that when the lights get power it sends a signal to that line and then gives priority to the screen. I tried tying into it but I was running everything off of a 9v battery, so something tells me it may need to detect a full 12v to actually work.

I may need to run power to this violet wire back to both cameras, which in that case I'll definitely need to run some tests for how the power jumps backwards through the lines.
Acid666

Pretty sure no one's really interested here, but I'll post updates anyways.
I got the camera wired up in the back, drilled a hole into the trunk, ran that wire down under the carpet. For the record, C5... EASIEST WIRING I've EVER DONE. Carpets are easy to move around and get under.

Really struggled to find a location for this where it would clear some spaces behind it for the switch. Found the perfect little nook between the cigarette lighter and the pocket next to it (where I keep my garage door opener).

Got my backing for it soldered up, just need to run my wires to the general area where the switch is, tap into power and ground, and then test it out. Right now I've only got the reverse camera wired up. The front will be done later when I figure out where to put it.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

So it works? :impressive:

Also that garage door clicker.... hello 1992. Wow.
Acid666

I've got this setup nearly completed. I ran the wires through the firewall last night. Last test is the 12v to the "Force Camera On" wire on the receiver itself. I need to prop the front of the car up so that I can get the bottom plastic air flow thing out of the way so I can run the wires on the passenger side.
I really don't like this camera for the front tho. For the rear it's GREAT. It's aggressively angled downward so for the back it works perfect because it looks toward the horizon and up maybe 5-10°. But for the front of the car it doesn't really look forward so ALL you see is ground and nothing straight ahead to see things in context. Will update when I get it all figured out. It shouldn't be difficult to switch cameras if I decide to. There's really not a lot of options for choosing a place to put this damn thing in the front.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

lol @ camera protection device
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:02 am lol @ camera protection device
The wheel?

That's a legit C5 mod, to keep from scraping the metal bar thing that's next to the camera.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:02 am Pretty sure no one's really interested here, but I'll post updates anyways.
I got the camera wired up in the back, drilled a hole into the trunk, ran that wire down under the carpet. For the record, C5... EASIEST WIRING I've EVER DONE. Carpets are easy to move around and get under.

Really struggled to find a location for this where it would clear some spaces behind it for the switch. Found the perfect little nook between the cigarette lighter and the pocket next to it (where I keep my garage door opener).

Got my backing for it soldered up, just need to run my wires to the general area where the switch is, tap into power and ground, and then test it out. Right now I've only got the reverse camera wired up. The front will be done later when I figure out where to put it.
I'm so nervous fucking that that center console piece of plastic. They're fragile, break easily and are :waxer: to replace.
I need to remove mine to adjust the parking brake. it's gone all wonky on me.
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:02 am lol @ camera protection device
Hah I know right? I tried to put it in the center, but it's 1) too flimsy right there, and 2) it's angled even more downward. The whole point of the camera was to look forward and see how close things like curbs and speed bumps come to the front end when I'm rolling over them. Totally unnecessary, but it's just something cool to check out.
Acid666

Melon wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:05 am I'm so nervous fucking that that center console piece of plastic. They're fragile, break easily and are :waxer: to replace.
I've removed this thing so many times now I don't even worry about it. I can strip this whole thing down in under a minute.
I was neck deep in the passenger footwell figuring out where to get through the firewall. It still surprises me how simple a lot of this car is once I figure it out.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:12 am
Melon wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:05 am I'm so nervous fucking that that center console piece of plastic. They're fragile, break easily and are :waxer: to replace.
I've removed this thing so many times now I don't even worry about it. I can strip this whole thing down in under a minute.
I was neck deep in the passenger footwell figuring out where to get through the firewall. It still surprises me how simple a lot of this car is once I figure it out.
Oh yeah, there really isn't much to it.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I think I'm going to install the bumper wheels on my car. My driveway has a really steep apron that scrapes all the time. Would be nice to drop it down a bit too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:17 am I think I'm going to install the bumper wheels on my car. My driveway has a really steep apron that scrapes all the time. Would be nice to drop it down a bit too.
For the price, they're a pretty good mod. I think I spent like 50 or 60 bucks on mine.
I honestly rarely scrape them. The wheels still look like they're in great shape. I'm pretty anal about curbs and other obstacles. When I looked at the first Z I was gonna buy in Dallas the wheels were chewed up like dog toys and the crash frame looked like it was molested by a Russian arm wrestler.
ChrisoftheNorth

My driveway apron is really steep, and only one angle works to avoid scraping...and it's hard to hit every time. Having wheels as some extra insurance would be 5/7 I think.

Plus, maybe I could drop the car a little bit. I haven't because of the driveway.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:42 am My driveway apron is really steep, and only one angle works to avoid scraping...and it's hard to hit every time. Having wheels as some extra insurance would be 5/7 I think.

Plus, maybe I could drop the car a little bit. I haven't because of the driveway.
What kind of street do you live on? They make angle helpers for sports car clearances. My neighbors across the street have a huge metal plate that CLANK CLANKs every time they drive up. Totally unnecessary as they've got a silverado and a camry.
If you live down a street that doesn't have any traffic you could look into it. If you're like me and live down a street that has major thru traffic, someone's likely to fuck with it.

ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:48 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:42 am My driveway apron is really steep, and only one angle works to avoid scraping...and it's hard to hit every time. Having wheels as some extra insurance would be 5/7 I think.

What kind of street do you live on? They make angle helpers for sports car clearances. My neighbors across the street have a huge metal plate that CLANK CLANKs every time they drive up. Totally unnecessary as they've got a silverado and a camry.
If you live down a street that doesn't have any traffic you could look into it. If you're like me and live down a street that has major thru traffic, someone's likely to fuck with it.

We live on a residential street that gets moderate traffic, but that doesn't concern me.

I've got one bitch neighbor across the street that would probably go :triggered: if I put one of these out. Call the cops, etc. And considering the cost of these things, it's just not worth the risk. I've certainly looked into it.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:50 am We live on a residential street that gets moderate traffic, but that doesn't concern me.

I've got one bitch neighbor across the street that would probably go :triggered: if I put one of these out. Call the cops, etc. And considering the cost of these things, it's just not worth the risk. I've certainly looked into it.
Maybe it's time you invest in some "666" paraphernalia. Keep it in your garage for them to see from a distance. They'll be too afraid to fuck with you. Works around here with all the Catholics in the south. They don't wanna fuck with that gris-gris
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:55 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:50 am We live on a residential street that gets moderate traffic, but that doesn't concern me.

Maybe it's time you invest in some "666" paraphernalia. Keep it in your garage for them to see from a distance. They'll be too afraid to fuck with you. Works around here with all the Catholics in the south. They don't wanna fuck with that gris-gris
Nah, they're probably athiest. We live in a really liberal area.

There's no dealing with this woman. She's terrible in every way. Super nosey. Thinks everything we do is terrible, etc, etc.
Acid666

So here's the results so far. I need diodes. So I need to figure out what kind of diodes I need. I'll try to figure it out tomorrow.

Here's the first test, you can see that neither work, just like I hypothesized. Routing power to the same line in the receiver is back tracking into the 2nd camera, making them both turn on. So I need diodes to stop power from going to the opposite camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBQKBQ2K-ow

Here I cut the wire from the 2nd power source going to the receiver "auto-on" setup.
You can see the front camera is pointed straight at the ground. It really doesn't give much context. So I'll look into other cameras that point more forward. I have to manually turn the receiver camera on to see the front. Something I was trying to bypass (this is why I need diodes in the line) DERP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv6jW6GIuh0

This is the backup cam in action. I can now consistently park the car exactly where I need and not have to get out and make sure that I'm far enough into the garage to close the door.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuX6FUe_xzE
Acid666

DIODEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES. This project is 95% complete. I need a different camera that points more forward, but everything works and is routed with wiring and all that shit.
Now, I can simply flip the switch and the front or rear camera comes on without the need to go through any menus or anything. So it's all figured out. Learned a little about switches and electronics. I like this kinda shit, but wish I would of breadboarded it first to save myself some time and frustrations.